Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
UPDATE: S6 Active is not actually water resistant to spec. I submerged it 6" for 1 minute and it's having similar issues to the S5 Active I bought. It keeps saying "Dock is connected"

I give up, I'm just going to stick with my old phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Thermopyle posted:

This is just...what?

I mean the E is a great phone for the price, but the responsiveness of the 2013 X just feels way faster. I mean, I don't think you're lying about how it feels to you...I just can't imagine being that un-attuned to responsiveness.

Antutu seems to confirm the speed is faster on the newest Moto E. Moto X 1st Gen scores at 19k while the brand new 2nd Gen Moto E scores at almost 23k. With the same apps, side by side, I was opening programs and flipping around on the E faster than the X (Got bored on my lunch break right after I switched). I don't do a lot of apps, and almost all of them are simple.

Now to be fair, my X still has kitkat while the E has lollipop. I also don't use any intense apps.

The only part that seems slower is the large transfer of data, but then again I've never transferred over 10gb to my moto X because it's space was pretty limited.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

revmoo posted:

UPDATE: S6 Active is not actually water resistant to spec. I submerged it 6" for 1 minute and it's having similar issues to the S5 Active I bought. It keeps saying "Dock is connected"

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

poemdexter posted:

Help me goons!

I have a nexus 5 running lollipop. My girlfriend is on iPhone. I use hangouts for texting her so it goes through SMS. She accidentally deleted the text thread we had on her phone and lost the 400 or so photos we've sent each other. Is there some way of mass downloading all the images from the hangouts thread with her all at once from my phone? If I have to scroll back to our very first text and download images one by one, its going to take days.

It should automatically be saved in your google photos. If you click on an old photo, it should load the library saved for hangouts which can be accessed by one of the buttons on the page.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

revmoo posted:

The Android Thread - I give up, I'm just going to stick with my old phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Note - samsung does not sell a dock for the s6 lol

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Don Lapre posted:

Note - samsung does not sell a dock for the s6 lol

Interesting. I wonder why I'm getting that message. It's doing the same thing the S5A was doing with thinking something's being plugged/unplugged over and over. Both times it's happened after exposure to water.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Did you make sure all your plugs were securely in? The USB port needs to be covered.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Is there some kind of hack, app, whatever to allow picture-in-picture on my Tab S 10.5? It has that whole multi-window though which is fine for the few apps that support it, but I'd love to be able to have full-screen Awful or Facebook or something with a little (ideally movable) Netflix window in the corner or something.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Internet Explorer posted:

Did you make sure all your plugs were securely in? The USB port needs to be covered.

S6A doesn't have port covers. It probably should.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

The S6A is supposedly IP68, so unless you dived to the bottom of the pool with it and left it there for an hour or something, it should be okay. Can you take it back?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Why would people bring their expensive cell phones into pools? Especially a Samsung device.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

BoyBlunder posted:

Why would people bring their expensive cell phones into pools? Especially a Samsung device.

Because you might need to rely on it being waterproof to the advertised spec in the future and it's better to test it now than when you actually need it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

BoyBlunder posted:

Because one of their selling points is that they're capable of doing just that?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

uPen posted:

Because you might need to rely on it being waterproof to the advertised spec in the future and it's better to test it now than when you actually need it.

Bingo. The first thing I did when I bought my Garmin was to dunk it in water right out of the box. Better to find out right away than out in the woods during a rainstorm.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

BoyBlunder posted:

Read his post, it's an S6 Active, it's specifically supposed to be able to do that.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Lollipop on my moto x 2013 has been awesome so far, I was expecting it to maybe be a little bit slower but I think it's even faster now!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
How much does the faster CPU in the 4G version of the 2nd Gen Moto E affect general QoL? My dad wants to retire his flip phone but I'm not exactly sure what would best suit his needs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

revmoo posted:

Well yes docks tend to sit in the water

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

poemdexter posted:

Help me goons!

I have a nexus 5 running lollipop. My girlfriend is on iPhone. I use hangouts for texting her so it goes through SMS. She accidentally deleted the text thread we had on her phone and lost the 400 or so photos we've sent each other. Is there some way of mass downloading all the images from the hangouts thread with her all at once from my phone? If I have to scroll back to our very first text and download images one by one, its going to take days.

I would say you could use a message backup service and do it that way but as far as I know they can't capture pictures. Perhaps you should grow comfortable in a world where the ephemeral still exists and that there are things, moments, and memories that are simply beyond the gaping maw of data mining sold to us under the premise of self-documentation?

Also I'm assuming if you care this much about this that you're using auto-backup on your end, isn't the same true on hers?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Anyone else with the N6 have this issue where ambient display will keep turning on if there is a notification from gmail? It'll let other notifications come through but only lights up the one time, where with gmail notifications it keeps lighting up every 15 or 30 seconds.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

How else are you to make posts like "I am posting this from underwater!" instead of enjoying being in a pool and relaxing if you don't?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Underwater on mortgage payments cause you keep buying android phones

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Was there a recent android update on the 2nd Gen. Moto X? For the last few days my alarm hasn't been going off. I tested it out and whenever I try to set a time, or it's supposed to go off I get the "clock has stopped" error message.

edit: uninstalling updates and then reinstalling via the play store seems to fix it.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 22, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Just today I started getting Google Voice/Search/Now/Whatever telling me the contact does not have a google profile when I say "Ok Google Now, send Hangout to Fred". These are with contacts that I've used this functionality with many times before.

I'm guessing this is an issue on Google's end rather than on my device...could anyone else test to see if this is working?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Thermopyle posted:

Just today I started getting Google Voice/Search/Now/Whatever telling me the contact does not have a google profile when I say "Ok Google Now, send Hangout to Fred". These are with contacts that I've used this functionality with many times before.

I'm guessing this is an issue on Google's end rather than on my device...could anyone else test to see if this is working?

Just tried "Ok Google, send hangout to Friends Name" and it popped up with the hangout send dialog with "what's the message" then listening.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just tried "Ok Google, send hangout to Friends Name" and it popped up with the hangout send dialog with "what's the message" then listening.

Damnit.

(thanks)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

Could it be a play services upgrade/bug/whatever?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

mugrim posted:

Antutu seems to confirm the speed is faster on the newest Moto E. Moto X 1st Gen scores at 19k while the brand new 2nd Gen Moto E scores at almost 23k. With the same apps, side by side, I was opening programs and flipping around on the E faster than the X (Got bored on my lunch break right after I switched). I don't do a lot of apps, and almost all of them are simple.

Now to be fair, my X still has kitkat while the E has lollipop. I also don't use any intense apps.

The only part that seems slower is the large transfer of data, but then again I've never transferred over 10gb to my moto X because it's space was pretty limited.

Moto X 2013 is always going to suffer in mutlithreaded benchmarks since it's only a dual core, but SD600 still happily outpaces SD410 in single-threaded operations which matters more imo

e: also the Moto E has pretty poor random read apparently, which wouldn't help either.

Hace fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 22, 2015

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Xeom posted:

Whats a good semi-budget phone? It seems like the nexus 5 is still a rock solid choice, but I can't believe it's still $340 for a 2 year old phone. The lg g2 looks good, but that UI is beyond terrible.

I have a couple of friends that bought the Alcatel Idol 3 and they like it. For $250 bucks it's a solid phone. They both have T-Mobile and it supports all the LTE bands. I messed around with the phone for a few minutes. Took decent photos and ran fairly smooth.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Interesting move by Sony.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/06/22/sony-announces-android-m-developer-preview-for-xperia-devices/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sounds like a perfect XDA ROM

*no modem
*no camera
*great daily driver, you tell me what's wrong

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I got a (Verizon :() 2014 Moto X in early May, and I found out last night that the microphone doesn't work for speakerphone, but works fine in normal phone mode. Should I even bother factory resetting it, or just get it exchanged? And can/should I go through Motorola (it's a Maker phone) or will I need to deal with Verizon?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

I got a (Verizon :() 2014 Moto X in early May, and I found out last night that the microphone doesn't work for speakerphone, but works fine in normal phone mode. Should I even bother factory resetting it, or just get it exchanged? And can/should I go through Motorola (it's a Maker phone) or will I need to deal with Verizon?

Do you have a case on the phone? If so, it might be blocking the speakerphone mic.

Otherwise, yes you should factory reset it and you have to go through Motorola directly. You should be aware that during the exchange process they will put a ~$500 hold on your credit card until they receive your broken device, so it's in your best interest to document every step of the process and carefully monitor the return tracking information.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nimper posted:

Do you have a case on the phone? If so, it might be blocking the speakerphone mic.

Otherwise, yes you should factory reset it and you have to go through Motorola directly. You should be aware that during the exchange process they will put a ~$500 hold on your credit card until they receive your broken device, so it's in your best interest to document every step of the process and carefully monitor the return tracking information.

No case. And the phone was paid for through my parents' Verizon account, not bought outright.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

No case. And the phone was paid for through my parents' Verizon account, not bought outright.

Since it's a Moto maker phone you need to deal with Motorola directly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, thanks.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Hopefully this hasn't been asked before, but I've seen around the web that the Moto E supports SD cards greater than the 32gb limit. Since my old ipod just died, it'd be really nice to just stick all my music on my phone but since I've got like 80gb of music the 32gb limit is kind of small. Could I just put a 64gb/128gb card in?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Hopefully this hasn't been asked before, but I've seen around the web that the Moto E supports SD cards greater than the 32gb limit. Since my old ipod just died, it'd be really nice to just stick all my music on my phone but since I've got like 80gb of music the 32gb limit is kind of small. Could I just put a 64gb/128gb card in?

Yes, it should work fine. I have a 64GB card in my Moto G and it says it only officially supports upto 32. Put the card into the phone first and let the phone format it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Awesome, thanks! I'll give it a shot.