Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Scruff McGruff posted:

I was behind what I think was a riced out Prelude that, in addition to the stickers on the rear window and the fartcan exhaust complete with scorch marks all the up the rear of the car above it, he also had this insane rear-view mirror(s). I'm not sure if it's multiple extensions on one mirror or multiple actual rearviews all layered three feet across his windshield. Guess he's just really nervous about his blind spots.

I bought a $600 craigslist special 1980 tercel that came with a wink mirror and it owned bones. I'd put one in my supra but don't want to poo poo up the perfect interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

GutBomb posted:

I saw a corvette in Cambridge, Massachusetts today with the plate CAVVET.

Hey, maybe the person driving spent some time in Iraq in a tank. Y'ever think about that!

Nah, it's a definite inability to pronounce Ahs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Sick Bently, man.

I couldn't snap a shot of the grill but the logo was replaced up front too.

There's at least 20 of these badged thus here in my town.

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

Spotted this thing yesterday. I can't imagine it's there for any legitimate reason.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
On the plus side, if anyone rearends that thing it'll be a two for one. The rearender will probably total their car and that thing probably isn't properly affixed to the beetle either so yet another new beetle will be removed from the road.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Malpenix Blonia posted:

Spotted this thing yesterday. I can't imagine it's there for any legitimate reason.

I'm more disturbed by the fact that this is apparently a sign of a terrible, dark future in ridiculous car modification judging by that timestamp. 2016 already looks like a bad year :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Malpenix Blonia posted:

Im gonna guess that the reason is humor. If its there for a serious reason then that is sad.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe he has a really big kite.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
I don't get it, it's just a tow hook

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

the poi posted:

I don't get it, it's just a tow hook

The tow hooks used to pull a fully loaded 100,000lb truck out of the mud is smaller than that. There is nothing a beetle is capable of, pulling or being pulled, that warrants a tow hook that size.

unless he's got one on the front, too, and he's out looking for 2 tractors to stretch it into a 911.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Powershift posted:

unless he's got one on the front, too, and he's out looking for 2 tractors to stretch it into a 911.

Well now that's just silly, the engine's at the wrong end.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

Well now that's just silly, the engine's at the wrong end.

Yeah, but it's a tradition thing. the beetle gets it half right at least.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but it's a tradition thing. the beetle gets it half right at least.

If you stretch an old Beetle, you get a 911. If you stretch a New Beetle, you get one of these:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

The Tesla club up here is full of bad license plates, but the one with "FUBP" kinda made me chuckle. Apparently he told the DMV it's a stock symbol, so they let it through.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

MrChips posted:

If you stretch an old Beetle, you get a 911. If you stretch a New Beetle, you get one of these:

Nope, the GT3 is a really good fit though (I've actually done that stretch, the major difference is the line of the "hump" at the back)

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Sorry about the horrible potato pic but here's some more smug vanity plate fuckery:

Not pictured are the blingin' chrome wheels and other assorted obnoxious chrome accents.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
That plate would be just as much at home on a Yugo :keke:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
This TC had a raised peacock feather decal over the rear fender

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
It's good to see Yugoslavians are represented among Corvette owners even if it does have chrome taillight trim from JC Whitney :v:

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

I drove a customer car once at Sears. Owned by an older dude, mirror was super wide like that. Great for visibility, especially if maybe you can't turn your neck due to arthritis or whatever, right?

Except it was a convex mirror; made the reflections of everything smaller, with the tradeoff of a wider field of view... that was blocked by the pillars and window/rear windshield frames.

Seems kinda counterproductive.

Ok, this is probably the stupidest story you're going to read today, but when I was 16 and had just gotten my license, my dad put one of these in his crown victoria. This coincided with me just starting to smoke weed. I can't put words to the amount of laughter my friends and I got out of this stupid mirror. Anyway, I'm confirming that "THA LANE-CHANGEAAAAAA" as we used to call it, is utterly worthless for actually being able to see anything. Thanks for bringing up a hilarious memory that I'd completely forgotten about.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't imagine anything more pointless if the car has side mirrors. Or if you're capable of turning your head.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The Caravan we have as a company vehicle has a little fold down mirror like that, but I think it's really for checking on your kids in the back seat. One of the few things that isn't total junk on that van.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Deeters posted:

The Caravan we have as a company vehicle has a little fold down mirror like that, but I think it's really for checking on your kids in the back seat. One of the few things that isn't total junk on that van.

Yeah this can be pretty useful.You'll find it on a lot of 3rd row SUVs/vans.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Japanese SUV's had an odd assortment of mirrors. The surf/4Runner had a power mirror on the exterior of the rear. I think they have/had a legal requirement for a little side mirror on the passenger side next to the engine bay.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Poolparty posted:

Japanese SUV's had an odd assortment of mirrors. The surf/4Runner had a power mirror on the exterior of the rear. I think they have/had a legal requirement for a little side mirror on the passenger side next to the engine bay.
They're to help with parking.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A fairly rare 6.9 450 sel :negative: one of 437 in north america for that model year.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Whyyyyy oh god

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Rhyno posted:

There's at least 20 of these badged thus here in my town.

I saw a lady who wasn't even trying - a Hyundai Sonata, like maybe '05 model, with Jaguar ornaments and fake air vents

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

I saw a lady who wasn't even trying - a Hyundai Sonata, like maybe '05 model, with Jaguar ornaments and fake air vents

There are about 5 or 6 of these hyundais re-badged as bentleys in town here.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Powershift posted:

A fairly rare 6.9 450 sel :negative: one of 437 in north america for that model year.

Oh gently caress this :(

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Powershift posted:

lol got a pic of the rear

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Powershift posted:

So perfect.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
(Not quite) news from China, in 2011 a totally non-corrupt Police department spent around $150k (after tax) on a Mercedes ML350 squad car. To avoid criticisms they did some engineering:

After the inevitable backlash they of course denied changing anything at all.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I vote wrong thread but I just wanted to continue the badge swapping posts

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

The gbs OSHA thread has a couple of good ones lately

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

I can't decide if the ridiculous Half Life 2 style saw blade accident or the JMC knock off truck brand is better

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

If you have to crash in a vehicle, be sure it's from the Jupiter Mining Corporation.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

:stonk:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

That's a movie prop (and completely awesome).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Terrible film, some awesome design went into it though, particularly Nemo's stuff.