Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

mooyashi posted:

hillary clinton is going to wind up competing with someone who would vote for the iraq war TODAY

Hillary Clinton supported a military intervention in Syria just a year ago so its not as if she's learned her lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Rick Santorum and Deray McKesson in the same pew in Charleston.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Explosions are cool as Hell, though.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

If you don't vote for hillary in the general and Bush wins and we get Iran War 2 Electric Boogaloo, are you culpable for the war

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I think it's really hosed up and wrong to kill people except in self defense. I'm no pacifist but I don't think murdering people for your own personal gain is good.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Rollofthedice posted:

What's Bernie Sanders' record on the Iraq War post its' commencement? I mean with appropriations bills and w/e.

He voted Aye on the 2004 bill for military appropriations as a rep.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2004/roll206.xml

Voted aye on the 2007 bill for military appropriations as a senator.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00359

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

If you don't vote for hillary in the general and Bush wins and we get Iran War 2 Electric Boogaloo, are you culpable for the war
The penalty for this and all other such matters is death by guillotine, unto the seventh generation

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
If you voted for Hillary as New York senator in 2001, are you then 'culpable' for the Iraq War too? She wouldn't have been able to vote in support of the war if people hadn't voted for her in the first place.

Where does 'culpability' begin and end? What role does one have to play regarding the start of the Iraq War to be considered responsible and not responsible?

furthermore,

Obdicut posted:

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00359

What does this make Bernie Sanders? Is he a bad person for helping extend the war? Where does this place him on the Moral Outrage-O-Meter?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Eschers Basement posted:

Jesus, people in this thread are incredibly pissy about candidates they're going to end up voting for in November anyways.

^This post is great.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Oh no, a lot of them are the sorts of people who always have an excuse for why they didn't bother to vote.
I really hope people that spend time in this thread vote. Both in the primary and the general. It's kind of sad if someone doesn't.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Rollofthedice posted:

If you voted for Hillary as New York senator in 2001, are you then 'culpable' for the Iraq War too? She wouldn't have been able to vote in support of the war if people hadn't voted for her in the first place.

Where does 'culpability' begin and end? What role does one have to play regarding the start of the Iraq War to be considered responsible and not responsible?

furthermore,

What does this make Bernie Sanders? Is he a bad person for helping extend the war?

You are personally responsible for the deaths of thousand of innocent Arabs.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Eschers Basement posted:

Jesus, people in this thread are incredibly pissy about candidates they're going to end up voting for in November anyways.

This is the primary thread; the thread where we talk about the primary elections.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TEAYCHES posted:

fishmech, you are willfully stupid and it's immoral to suggest that being a sitting US Senator and voting for the invasion of Iraq in 2003 is somehow not a thing or not an indicator of what a dishonest cynical candidate believes.

She's not responsible for the war, and doing what her constituency elected her to do is not "dishonest" or "cynical".

Obdicut posted:

But you see, Bernie isn't responsible because, well, you see he just isn't cynical, ok?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TEAYCHES posted:

You are personally responsible for the deaths of thousand of innocent Arabs.
What level of blame does Bernie have for voting to authorize funds?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Nessus posted:

Pretty culpable I guess. I think it's still hosed up to murder people.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

This is what Hillary Clinton supporters actually believe.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah, Hillary Clinton owns.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah, Hillary Clinton owns.

You are a piece of poo poo.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Hillary should market her own line of those nutcracker dolls.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

mooyashi posted:

hillary clinton is going to wind up competing with someone who would vote for the iraq war TODAY

It was called the Authorization for the Use of Military Force Against the Government of Syria to Respond to Use of Chemical Weapons and Hillary supported it.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Whoever becomes President is going to end killing a bunch of Muslim civilians anyways, so why not vote for someone that has experience?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Nessus posted:

It's almost like the concept of 'blame' or 'culpability' as discussed in this thread is nothing but a empty, undefined and hyperbolic bogeyman of a term used to equate politicians personally disliked to murderers!

TEAYCHES posted:

Pretty culpable I guess. I think it's still hosed up to murder people.

:agreed:

Are you going to vote, TEAYCHES? If you are, will the knowledge that Bernie Sanders consciously voted to extend the Iraq War stop you from voting for him?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TEAYCHES posted:

You are a piece of poo poo.

Ok, guy who goes around calling people human being retards because they dared to say you have no rational basis for your hatred. :)

Hillary Clinton owns, and, is good.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Rollofthedice posted:

It's almost like the concept of 'blame' or 'culpability' as discussed in this thread is nothing but a empty, undefined and hyperbolic bogeyman of a term used to equate politicians personally disliked to murderers!

:agreed:

Are you going to vote, TEAYCHES? If you are, will the knowledge that Bernie Sanders consciously voted to extend the Iraq War stop you from voting for him?

I am extremely interested in the answer to this question.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

GalacticAcid posted:

Rick Santorum and Deray McKesson in the same pew in Charleston.

Rick Santorum is a lot of things, but never boring.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Hillary Clinton supported a military intervention in Syria just a year ago so its not as if she's learned her lesson.
Two years ago, actually. God it's already been two years since Assad started gassing his own people.:(

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I am also extremely interested in the answer to this question.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
New WSJ/NBC poll, covering June 14-18. Asked for overall favorability among Republican primary voters.

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/jeb-bushs-standing-improves-among-republicans-n379126

quote:

Marco Rubio: 74 percent-15 percent (+59)
Jeb Bush: 75 percent-22 percent (+53)
Scott Walker: 57 percent-19 percent (+38)
Mike Huckabee: 65 percent-32 percent (+33)
Ben Carson: 50 percent-21 percent (+29)
Rick Perry: 53 percent-31 percent (+22)
Ted Cruz: 51 percent-31 percent (+20)
Rick Santorum: 49 percent-40 percent (+9)
Bobby Jindal: 36 percent-28 percent (+8)
Rand Paul: 49 percent-45 percent (+4)
Carly Fiorina: 31 percent-29 percent (+2)
John Kasich: 25 percent-30 percent (-5)
Chris Christie: 36 percent-55 percent (-19)
Lindsey Graham: 27 percent-49 percent (-22)
George Pataki: 13 percent-44 percent (-31)
Donald Trump 32 percent-66 percent (-34)

A lot of news articles are running with headlines along the lines of "FIORINA SURGE", even though she's still near the bottom of the pack.

I'm just surprised by how many people like Huckabee.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Solid Poopsnake posted:

As am I, knowing now that Bernie has blood on his hands. Guess I'll be voting for a war criminal in the primary, no matter what.

Open the blood gates :unsmigghh:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You know who didn't vote for Iraq? Martin O'Malley!

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
What's that? Is that the start of O'Mentum happening here on these forums?????????

::watches poll results rise from 5% to 7%::

It is! It is! He's taking off!!!!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hillary Clinton owns, and, is good.

lmao

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Yeah I love war crimes too.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TEAYCHES posted:

Rollofthedice posted:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Yeah I am against that.

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

TEAYCHES posted:

SA forums user TEAYCHES proves that The One Weird Trick to making liberals suddenly not give a poo poo about the Iraq War. previously thought impossible, is to turn it into a bizarre personal vendetta.

Also:

Solid Poopsnake posted:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Let's be clear though, agreeing to a budget in the midst of the Iraq War is not the same thing as voting for it in the first place.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Please explain how it is different.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nessus posted:

The penalty for this and all other such matters is death by guillotine, unto the seventh generation

But is that enough to prevent tyrannic political dynasties like the filthy Roosevelts?

William Bear posted:

I'm just surprised by how many people like Huckabee.

The Huckster is pretty personable and seems like he'd be a real nice guy to back away from in horror after he introduces you to one of his friends who have had their monstrous sins cleansed by the blood of the lamb.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TEAYCHES posted:

Well clearly you do since you support Iraq War Enabler Bernie.

TEAYCHES posted:

Let's be clear though, agreeing to a budget in the midst of the Iraq War is not the same thing as voting for it in the first place.

Ok, Nixon.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

TEAYCHES posted:

It wasn't a budget, it was military appropriations, money specifically to fund the military activities of the United States, that Sanders voted in favor of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

You're responsible for the vote you cast. That vote doesn't make you responsible for who ultimately gets elected, it gives you no control over their actions, it does not imbue you with responsibility for them one way or another. Voting or not voting for Obama In 08/12 doesn't somehow saddle you with a guilt-share for drone strikes or eroded civil liberties.
Jeb getting elected in 2016 and dragging the US into war won't be a sin on the shoulders of people who didn't vote against him, or who didn't vote against him "correctly", and the cast votes one way or another won't give anyone the moral high ground or make any opinions they develop as a result of this theoretical warmaking more or less valid. It's a vote. You vote for what you agree with, or you vote for whatever you believe will get what you want done in what you believe is a more plausible bur indirect route, or you don't vote at all because there's nothing on the table you feel like supporting.
If you vote for someone with a bad policy because of that bad policy and that bad policy bears bad fruit following their election, fine, you're culpable. If you didn't vote for them then there's no relation.
Getting angry about not-votes (in any sense) after the fact is deciding that there was exactly one other world that might've been, and you know exactly what it would've been like, and you know exactly how we could've gotten there, and you know that it was better than what we got in exactly these ways. It's not a sane position.
Getting angry about non-votes before the ballots are cast, that just makes you insecure.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 22, 2015

• Locked thread