Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

pandaK posted:

Considering how you could play all the professions on one character, is there any real benefit to running more dudes other than the admittedly very important reason of having different looks/race?

The only real benefit to an alt character is getting around weekly lockouts. If you're not a top-tier raider, you don't need one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Huh, so if I already have an account with two characters on Excalibur am I completely barred off from the subbing with the 1 character per world option? What if I delete my alt account, would I be able to use that subbing option then?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

pandaK posted:

Huh, so if I already have an account with two characters on Excalibur am I completely barred off from the subbing with the 1 character per world option? What if I delete my alt account, would I be able to use that subbing option then?

It'll let you switch, but it will put a red X by all but the oldest character per server, locking you out of the others. They aren't deleted, but they're also not usable anymore.

If you know you're playing for a long time and don't want to lose that option, you can do the six month Standard subscription which comes out to the same monthly amount.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Thank you, crashed materia market, my Ragnraok is now ready for 3.1

It took me 7 loving Savage Might IVs to get the last one to stick, at 50% chance :argh: At least they all cost less than 50k each.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

bonewitch posted:

The problem for me isn't so much the lack of mobility, its the fact that everything pre-52 is about sliding in off-gcd's between your attacks. With minuet you're still expected to do that, except now you can at best, fit a single o-GCD in without clipping your GCD. It's just a huge pain in the rear end, and not fun at all; not to mention the bugs and latency issues it brings in.

good news: at level 60 it's parsing as maybe a 20-30 dps increase. which mean that instantly goes out the window and WM isn't worth using if you have to move in a fight to stop a single cast.

WM being bad is further helped by the fact that Sidewinder can be used without WM, apparently.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Boten Anna posted:

It took me 7 loving Savage Might IVs to get the last one to stick, at 50% chance :argh: At least they all cost less than 50k each.

You're assuming the 3.0 will use the Zeta's stats?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Minrad posted:

People seem to universally dislike a lot of the new abilities or class mechanics.

Let's see... summoner and scholar both rule so far while leveling arcanist. Tri-Disaster rocks, Painflare is great, Broil is boss, only thing that really feels lacking is Ruin III, but I get that's for Dreadwyrm Trance when I reach.

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

I'm really trying to figure out how to increase the NPC dialogue box text. I'm having to strain my eyes to read it as is, and I've been getting really bad headaches. (I had it bigger before, but lost my settings when my drive failed)

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

The only thing bad I can say about DRK is that it's sort of lame that they have -10% damage tied to a parry proc with a maximum uptime of 66%. And while Sole Survivor is absolutely hilarious it's also only slightly less underwhelming than NIN getting two enmity-modifying skills. I don't think the :siren: hardcore world first :siren: progression groups will bother with DRK unless SE changes it but who gives a gently caress about those people anyway, I have a bigass sword.

Kuai
May 25, 2004

Boten Anna posted:

You really didn't think this out did you.....

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Minrad posted:

People seem to universally dislike a lot of the new abilities or class mechanics.

Scholar 52/54 are both fantastic. Scholar 56 is.. interesting sounding, but it really should be self-targetable, because it makes spreading Adlo a huge headache.

Scholar 58 and 60 both look very bad on paper, but I haven't gotten to try either.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Cat on a Cold Stone Roof is now the best quest name theyve ever used and I hope there are more Tennessee Williams references.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Bad news, friends. Sole Survivor is basically a less lovely Mercy Stroke, you don't cast it on allies, you cast it on enemies.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Apparently Ysayle loses her skirt after she loses to Ravana (a little nsfw I guess?)

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mr. Vile posted:

He's kinda right about a lot of it as far as I can see, though. I'm enjoying DRK and all but a lot of the abilities have WAR or PLD equivilants that are just flat-out better. Like, Shadow Wall is 30% damage reduction for 10 seconds in a 180 second cooldown. Compare that to Vengenace, which is 30% damage reduction for 15 seconds on a 120 second cooldown, plus free counterattacks. Reprisal is a counter that can only be used after parrying, and lowers enemy damage by 10% for 20 seconds, with a 30 second cooldown.Meanwhile, Storm's Path is a standard combo attack with no cooldown that lowers enemy damage by 10% and can be kept up all the time. I don't even know what Dark Passenger is supposed to be for, it's a conal attack on a 30 second cooldown with a hefty MP cost and...nothing else. No enmity bonus, just a 150 potency attack.

I'm hoping it'll change at higher levels with more abilities, but for now it just seems kind of mediocre in a game where the other tank classes are really, really good.

Dark Arts adds to abilities, like

• A 15 second blind to Dark Passenger
  • Adds 20% evasion to Dark Arts 30% parry
  • More enmity to power slash
  • More potency to soul eater
  • More magic vuln reduction to Dark Mind

There probably shouldn't be 100% parity to tank skills, but Reprisals uptime does suck.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Kuai posted:

You really didn't think this out did you.....

I did, actually.

I'm 90%+ certain that the new relic quest is going to, probably in the first step, involve statting it with materia. The advantage that previous relichavers will have over people making a new one is that they can use what they already have, and have to add just rank 5 materia or something, rather than ALL of them.

A few hundred k as a bet that this will be the case (I was already almost done with this, I might add, I didn't JUST redo it) seems wise. If I'm wrong, oh well, if I'm right, I saved myself millions of gil later.

The market will probably crash more, so maybe I spent more than I really had to, but I wouldn't have even been out nearly as much if I wasn't totally hosed by RNG and had to use 7 of the loving det materias to get the last one to stick.

The only other real risk is if crit/det ends up not being perfect but even with the adjustments to determination, I somehow doubt it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
As soon as I got into Ishgard and went into the manor to meet the elf with the sweet stache I left o go level DRK asap and forgot to grab the next story quest so now I'm lost. Where's the manor so I can start doing quests again?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
so uh, what do I do if I keep getting kicked out from the game after hitting Start on the main menu? I keep getting lobby communication errors

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

so uh, what do I do if I keep getting kicked out from the game after hitting Start on the main menu? I keep getting lobby communication errors

Select another data center than go back to your regular one.

Or type ipconfig /flushdns in a windows command prompt

Either one seems to work, do whichever you like best

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

As soon as I got into Ishgard and went into the manor to meet the elf with the sweet stache I left o go level DRK asap and forgot to grab the next story quest so now I'm lost. Where's the manor so I can start doing quests again?

Last vigil, look for the pile of nerds in front of an npc

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
After MSQ there's a stinger; make sure you watch it. I'm not sure if you can skip credits and still see it but yeah

not really a spoiler but if you haven't been to the Dravanian Hinterlands yet might not want to click ->http://puu.sh/ixScJ/bbdb3eca78.jpg

edit: only if you've finished MSQ: in my ending, the Warrior of Darkness looked like generic hyur adventurer but with warrior outfit, can someone who completed MSQ as something other then warrior confirm if it's generic hyur <class> for them?

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 22, 2015

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

dreffen posted:

Dark Arts adds to abilities, like

• A 15 second blind to Dark Passenger
  • Adds 20% evasion to Dark Arts 30% parry
  • More enmity to power slash
  • More potency to soul eater
  • More magic vuln reduction to Dark Mind

There probably shouldn't be 100% parity to tank skills, but Reprisals uptime does suck.

I just this minute got Dark Arts and yeah, it really beefs up a lot of abilities. I'm still not sold on Dark Passenger even with the power boost and blind though, unless that blind effect is incredibly potent that's a massive chunk of MP for questionable benefit. I'll experiment with it a bit and find out, I guess.

100% parity would be pretty dull and make the tanks very same-y, yeah. But one tank having an ability that is flat-out superior in every way (ie, Vengeance vs Shadow Wall) is kinda bad too. Dark Arts definitely makes things a whole lot more interesting though, I'm looking forwards to trying the new skill buffs out.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Boten Anna posted:

I did, actually.

I'm 90%+ certain that the new relic quest is going to, probably in the first step, involve statting it with materia. The advantage that previous relichavers will have over people making a new one is that they can use what they already have, and have to add just rank 5 materia or something, rather than ALL of them.

A few hundred k as a bet that this will be the case (I was already almost done with this, I might add, I didn't JUST redo it) seems wise. If I'm wrong, oh well, if I'm right, I saved myself millions of gil later.

The market will probably crash more, so maybe I spent more than I really had to, but I wouldn't have even been out nearly as much if I wasn't totally hosed by RNG and had to use 7 of the loving det materias to get the last one to stick.

The only other real risk is if crit/det ends up not being perfect but even with the adjustments to determination, I somehow doubt it.

Gonna be real dumb if you were somehow wrong. :v:

Mr. Vile posted:

I just this minute got Dark Arts and yeah, it really beefs up a lot of abilities. I'm still not sold on Dark Passenger even with the power boost and blind though, unless that blind effect is incredibly potent that's a massive chunk of MP for questionable benefit. I'll experiment with it a bit and find out, I guess.

100% parity would be pretty dull and make the tanks very same-y, yeah. But one tank having an ability that is flat-out superior in every way (ie, Vengeance vs Shadow Wall) is kinda bad too. Dark Arts definitely makes things a whole lot more interesting though, I'm looking forwards to trying the new skill buffs out.

It is a shitton of mana, I agree. Having Dark Dance on a 60 second cooldown is nice though, and Dark Arts buffs it up nicely so I dunno. Take it where you can get it I guess.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

i hope that the 20% dodge works against bosses in alexander.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Tsurupettan posted:

i hope that the 20% dodge works against bosses in alexander.

Well the blind won't. :v:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

Bad news, friends. Sole Survivor is basically a less lovely Mercy Stroke, you don't cast it on allies, you cast it on enemies.

Man, that sucks. I'm glad i decided to level MCH before DRK then, because the more i hear about DRK the more underwhelming it sounds.

Other than the cool sword factor, which is very good.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Boten Anna posted:

Select another data center than go back to your regular one.

Or type ipconfig /flushdns in a windows command prompt

Either one seems to work, do whichever you like best

thanks, friend

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

dreffen posted:

Well the blind won't. :v:

yeah that was just my subtle call back to featherfoot and coil.

the difference now being that one is a core defensive tool and the other was a cross-class ability.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 22, 2015

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Tsurupettan posted:

yeah that was just my subtle call back to featherfoot and coil.

I understood.

e: thank you for clarifying even further because for a while I thought you were talking about monks tanking

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
looking at drks and wars poo poo damage and actually survive taking hits makes me question my choice of playing DPS

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

Man, that sucks. I'm glad i decided to level MCH before DRK then, because the more i hear about DRK the more underwhelming it sounds.

Other than the cool sword factor, which is very good.

tbh as hilarious as it would have been if it worked on allies it would have been essentially useless, this way it's slightly more boring but way more useful

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

dreffen posted:

Cat on a Cold Stone Roof is now the best quest name theyve ever used and I hope there are more Tennessee Williams references.

http://xivdb.com/?skill/3597/Stella

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

That's great. This is a great expansion. :allears:

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

biopanda posted:

I'm really trying to figure out how to increase the NPC dialogue box text. I'm having to strain my eyes to read it as is, and I've been getting really bad headaches. (I had it bigger before, but lost my settings when my drive failed)

Anyone? Please?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

biopanda posted:

Anyone? Please?

Go to Main Menu>System>Character Config>Log Window Settings>Log Filters maybe? I think?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Is there any point to using Ruin 3 right now? 40 more potency than Ruin for 6 times the cost. I know Dreadwyrm Trance is going to lower the MP cost a ton but right now I've got a cool looking spell that would run me dry of mp so fast. Guess for solo fights in the field I can use it cause fights aren't long and I can regen between them but for boss fights it seems like a trap.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

ActionZero posted:

Is there any point to using Ruin 3 right now? 40 more potency than Ruin for 6 times the cost. I know Dreadwyrm Trance is going to lower the MP cost a ton but right now I've got a cool looking spell that would run me dry of mp so fast. Guess for solo fights in the field I can use it cause fights aren't long and I can regen between them but for boss fights it seems like a trap.

congrats you answered your own question

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Whelp...having gotten 58 and to test Blizzard IV some. It's awful. The timing does not play nice with procs at all. Get more than 2 and you risk losing Enochian. Blizzard IV is also a long cast time so you have to bear that in mind too. It's damned inconvenient. Not looking forward to Fire IV for more micromanaging of timers, procs, and movement, especially when by virtue of being .5 longer than your normal casts the IV's make movement even worse. Unless there is something ludicriously amazing about Fire IV, it's look forward to 3.1 time for blms.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
holy poo poo that King Moggle fight loving owns and I wish I had actually played 2.1 now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadiTC
May 31, 2011
I asked this a few pages ago and didn't get a reply: has anybody tried out the new fishing yet? I've heard some people on reddit say that there are over 125 new fish to catch but I haven't seen or read any details anywhere.

• Locked thread