Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

paranoid randroid posted:

the thing that makes aranea a particularly devious character is that she can do the serket "im hurting you for you own good" thing in a way thats far more subtle than anything vriska could ever hope to do. if you go back and read her first conversation with terezi, note that she essentially removes any methods terezi has to cope with her having to kill her friend. rationalization and acceptance of the deed's inevitability "have no healing power", and she tells terezi she'll essentially just have to deal with her actions. you killed her because that was one of the only things that you yourself, as opposed to a hypothetical version of you capable of making any and all decisions, would have done. so essentially you killed her because you're the kind of person who stabs friends to death! oh and by the way, you technically killed her *twice*, lol.

it probably wasnt something she was trying to do at the time, as it is true that she was not become actively malicious until being around vriska made her think it was a good idea. but she still has a remarkable ability to gently caress with peoples heads. its kind of interesting because she constantly asserts that she's a "healer", but all the healing we see her do is counterproductive or destructive! she's a twisted cleric and thats a pretty loving cool character concept!

This seems backwards to me. Aranea's advice to Terezi strikes me as having been pretty good, and I feel like Aranea took her role as a Sylph pretty seriously and would never have done anything to knowingly twist that role. Her whole spiel as a villain was based around "healing" time as its immortal god-queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I thought it was kind of evident the first time it happened when they went to blow up the green sun and ended up creating it.

The paradoxes just keep happening.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I think, with Aranea, there have been little hints peppering her dialogue - Like, when talking with Terezi, she mentions how she always wanted to be a great hero-adventurer but was just a bit of a lonely bookworm, and until Sgrub, never thought she would get that chance. Even in Sgrub, there was no positive outcome for them. I've always viewed her final breaking point as when she and Vriska hug, when Meenah and Vriska are mocking her behind her back. As an empath, she'd be very aware of it; given that Meenah was her only real friend, it probably felt like a bit of a betrayal. Honestly, it strikes me as similar to Eridan's character arc, but with much less self-pity, and burning the world instead of bowing to the villain.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Man, a John/Roxy marriage would be some kind of cosmic event of niceness, pulling even the bitterest into its rosy embrace. I literally teared up a bit.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Oh my gog the final update of this series will be Roxy giving Kanaya the Matriorb. That makes sense.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I THINK the little images in the flash that show what everyone is up to are updating each time, so keep an eye on it peeps.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Prison Warden posted:

I THINK the little images in the flash that show what everyone is up to are updating each time, so keep an eye on it peeps.

I was just coming here to say that!

Those images are moving forward in time. Yesterday the Dave/Dirk post-conversation had the two of them sitting on opposite sides of the lilypad. Today Dave’s lying on his back. Yesterday the everybody-on-the-lilypad conversation just showed that Roxy and Calliope had moved to the side. Today there are speech bubbles showing what the two groups are talking about!

e: Here's yesterday's chooser page for comparison.
ee: And now, with screenshots.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 22, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

Thanks for the heads up, forgot to check them :)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Hahaha, Vriskafight.

Tomorrow's one is gonna be gud.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Wow, getting super metaphysical up in here. If Callie can manage to inspire the creation of the matriorb, it would be a hell of a start on her quest to be useful.

I had predicted that (Vriska) would be pretty chill about handing the treasure over and Meenah would want to keep it, so I got that one backwards. Curious to see how that works out.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Calliope is so boring she makes otherwise interesting characters boring just by being around them.

Which, from a meta-story point of view makes her the most dangerous character in Homestuck, since her presence eliminates the ability to enjoy the story.

Callie confirmed for final villain.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Calliope is so boring she makes otherwise interesting characters boring just by being around them.

Which, from a meta-story point of view makes her the most dangerous character in Homestuck, since her presence eliminates the ability to enjoy the story.

Callie confirmed for final villain.

Her conversation with Caliborn wasn't boring. Clearly what this scene needs is more Caliborn. When is Lord English showing up?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No joke, I want more Lord English dialogues.

I'd love to read how that fucker talks knowing the twisted poo poo that's rumbling in his head.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

This seems backwards to me. Aranea's advice to Terezi strikes me as having been pretty good, and I feel like Aranea took her role as a Sylph pretty seriously and would never have done anything to knowingly twist that role. Her whole spiel as a villain was based around "healing" time as its immortal god-queen.

like i said, aranea was probably trying to be helpful. but her advice and her healing terezis vision materially contributed to terezis mental collapse. her other examples of "healing", forcefully curing jake of his mental problems and her intention to damage the alpha timeline to the point that it would need her around as its benevolent overlord, point to her being at best really bad at her role.

we dont get to see how vriska helped terezi deal with the fact that terezi almost stabbed her, but it seems to have been miles and miles better than "well i guess you just have to deal with the fact that youre the kind of person who kills her friends to save her own life". araneas help damages people in far more insidious ways than vriskas bullying.

e. another thing about aranea that makes her far more dangerous than vriska is that vriska at least shows some capacity for remorse. killing tavros rattles her deeply, for example. aranea, on the other hand, drops a house on jade without missing a stride.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 22, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

e. another thing about aranea that makes her far more dangerous than vriska is that vriska at least shows some capacity for remorse. killing tavros rattles her deeply, for example. aranea, on the other hand, drops a house on jade without missing a stride.

Tbf, Vriska knew Tavros and tried to improve him, while Aranea didn't know Jade from a hole in the Void.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Aranea did also say she wouldn't have resorted to the methods she did to contain Jade if there was no other choice.

Also, does this mean that everyone from GAME OVER is a Dreambubble ghost now? We know being retcon'd back to life doesn't remove ghosts (Vriska)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I liked that conversation. It may not have done much to move plots or character arcs along, but it reinforces Calliope and Roxy's friendship while letting them work out how they feel about all the alternate self issues they're working through. In particular, what Roxy said about both Calliopes being "relevant" feels like it might apply to the Roxy of this session that died, since she might still be coming to grips with having replaced her while leaving dead versions of her own friends behind. They're also both just so nice and happy that this little ray of sunshine is welcome after all the conflict it took to get here.

Calliope really is a muse. Her mere presence releases the fully-realized version of herself to help with the fight against Lord English, her friendship inspires Roxy and the others to keep going and even her aspect means she can passively inspire their powers to work better, particularly when they interact with space.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
This conversation was Hussie directly addressing the audience to say "yes, A6A6I1 thru A6A6I4 DO matter, so nyah".

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

This conversation was Hussie directly addressing the audience to say "yes, A6A6I1 thru A6A6I4 DO matter, so nyah".

its good we are establishing this as %100 CAnon Fact because, get this, theyre good

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Alternatively everything matters as little as everything else

Nothing has meaning

People don't have arcs

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Alternatively everything matters as little as everything else

Nothing has meaning

People don't have arcs

Dehumanize yourself and face to Vriska

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I'm just tickled to see John and Jane apparently discussing Trollsonas in front of Terezi. She's gonna be waxing so black for that dork if he thinks they sound like a fun idea. :laugh:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I wonder if we'll ever see Homestuck Volume 10.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So are we gonna get the whole Vriska vs (Vriska) fight in the select screen? That would be fun, but I'd love to actually see that in an upd8.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'd like the big Kids Vs. Caliborn fight in something other than Claymation, but fat chance. :(

I appreciate that three of the Kids (John, Roxy, Dave) have decided that doing the right thing flows from becoming a decent person, rather than from being a capital-H Hero. It's not that being a decent person = "anything I do is ipso facto good", but rather that becoming decent is the only thing you can control. Everything else is improv.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, I'm sure we'll see it in some form. The claymation version set up an expectation. As far as Caliborn and Lord English are concerned, the claymation version illustrates what is "supposed" to happen. What we want, then, is any deviation from that script. Due to the nature of Caliborn's power as a Lord of Time it will still look like what Caliborn saw, but ideally the things we see between then and now + seeing it from a more detailed, less biased perspective will recontextualize it into something more positive.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The benefit of doing it in claymation first is that Caliborn can narrate it and explain what's going on. Now, if it reappears as an awesomely animated flash, people will already know what's going to happen in it and it can be parsed. (unlike, say, the green sun cascade thing that so many people missed that they had to explain it after the fact.)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the real problem w/ cascade was being 18 minutes long

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

the real problem w/ cascade was not lasting long enough.

FTFY

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

the real problem w/ cascade was not being the end of homestuck

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

the real problem w/ cascade was being 18 minutes long

How can it be possible that all these posts are correct?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

life_source posted:

That's the magic of paradox space.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

life_source posted:

LET'S SAY. TIME TRAVEL.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

are the serkets doing a crab dance

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, so the Roxy thing is probably going to be her summoning the Matriorb.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So, Linkara is reviewing Homestuck:
http://channelawesome.com/at4w-homestuck-act-1/

It's actually closer to a lukewarm liveblog than a review. Is this normal with him?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 22, 2015

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

are the serkets doing a crab dance

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

18 minutes.

So.. what, first 5% of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

So, Linkara is reviewing Homestuck:
http://channelawesome.com/at4w-homestuck-act-1/

It's actually closer to a lukewarm liveblog than a review. Is this normal with him?

oh my god he's a living stereotype