Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jimbot posted:

The only real complaint about that whole thing I've been personally exposed to was my friend, who is a lesbian, was disappointed the female character's sexuality is defined by the game rather than left up to the player. But it wasn't utter outrage, it was just "eh, I don't like that but whatever." Seemed reasonable to me, unlike that picture.

Clearly the pc didn't realize her preference until it was too late. Sure it's still silly, but it happens irl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bholder posted:

It's about as pointless as doing anything else

Life is a succession of pointless tasks that ultimately achieve nothing. Scream into the abyss and know that you are always alone.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Bholder posted:

First having a voice, then being responsible parent and now that you can build a town.

TAKING BETS, What will be the next thing that will make Fallout 4 the worst?!

Complaining about having less numbers to grind, doesn't count.

The game will have Facebook connectivity and notify your friends every time you defend your town from a raider attack. The only way to advance the development of your town is to send a mass of Falloutville invites to people.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Nasgate posted:

What really gets me is that "old" =24-28

If anything it'll be a nice change to play as a grown up after Fallout 3 forced me to play as a hot teen virgin.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nasgate posted:

What really gets me is that "old" =24-28

Uh if they're not "18"(12) then yes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

2house2fly posted:

If anything it'll be a nice change to play as a grown up after Fallout 3 forced me to play as a hot teen virgin.

Steal everything in the Vault that isn't nailed down and bang the hooker in Megaton with the caps you earn. Problem solved.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Clearly the pc didn't realize her preference until it was too late. Sure it's still silly, but it happens irl.

If Bethesda were competent this would be a thing you could decide based on dialogue options. As it is I'd be surprised if even the Lady Killer/Black Widow/etc. Perks make it in as is on account of the voiced dialogue thing.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Lol voiced dialogue is so profoundly bad

King Vidiot posted:

The female Vault Dweller is going to be voiced by the same woman who did Moira in Fallout 3, doing the exact same voice

That's not true, it's Jack from Mass Effect doing the exact same voice

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

JANE FALLOUT: [epically] Let's gently caress some poo poo up!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Which is reason enough alone to play the female. I hope there's mods that will bring stuff Jack says from Mass Effect into this game, like when killing something and Jack yells out something awesome.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

JANE FALLOUT: [picking up a Pip-Boy] A radio... What's going on with this radio?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah Jack's voice actor is enough reason for me to play as a woman for once

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

"I will destroy you!"

...I'm failing to see a problem here.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I want to play a character other than Witty Competent White Warrior so the lame generic protag voices interrupting me all the time is gonna be a real pain in the rear end

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Loverslab is the manifestation of playground sexual rumor mill, staffed exclusively by perverts who have never had sex and have thus spent their entire lives developing sexual deviancies that spiral ever-downward in something of a hopeless struggle to keep relentless masturbation entertaining, as well as misogynistic precepts that justify their incel status by reducing the opposite sex to the bleakest sense of disposable satisfaction.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

frajaq posted:

Are there going to be radscorpions in this game??

haha, is that the lottery winner?

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

JANE FALLOUT: [epically] Let's gently caress some poo poo up!

gamer hell yeah

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I can't wait to loot a series of fallen raiders and hear John Fallout insanely badassily say "I can--" "I can--" "I can--" "I can--" "I can use--" "I--" "I can use this..."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I can't wait to loot a series of fallen raiders and hear John Fallout insanely badassily say "I can--" "I can--" "I can--" "I can--" "I can use--" "I--" "I can use this..."

They should also steal the Jurassic Park "This is Unix! I know this!" soundbite every time you hack a computer

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Azhais posted:

He's just SMELLING THAT AIR

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Jimbot posted:

The only real complaint about that whole thing I've been personally exposed to was my friend, who is a lesbian, was disappointed the female character's sexuality is defined by the game rather than left up to the player. But it wasn't utter outrage, it was just "eh, I don't like that but whatever." Seemed reasonable to me, unlike that picture.

Of course she doesn't give a poo poo about the man. I'm going to play as the guy and first chance I get I'll use the "setsex" command on myself to turn into a woman.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

But my #1 favorite voiced protagonist thing is probably how you read a genuinely funny line on the subtitle first and go to laugh and then your character says it and it's the most loving boring deadpan delivery because the voice director told them they can't be too emotive since they have to represent every possible character

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Genocyber posted:

If Bethesda were competent this would be a thing you could decide based on dialogue options. As it is I'd be surprised if even the Lady Killer/Black Widow/etc. Perks make it in as is on account of the voiced dialogue thing.

Y: Hey, what's up?
X: [Confirmed Bachelor] Heyyyy, what's up? :heysexy:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

But my #1 favorite voiced protagonist thing is probably how you read a genuinely funny line on the subtitle first and go to laugh and then your character says it and it's the most loving boring deadpan delivery because the voice director told them they can't be too emotive since they have to represent every possible character

But Jack is great.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, because she's an NPC and supposed to have a personality and motivations of her own. Shepard is supposed to be a player character but has only one voice and only two possible responses to every situation that don't really work at all if you try to alternate between them because they're diametrically opposed. That's Voiced Protagonists, Baby!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Anita Dickinme posted:

But Jack is great.

Just let Pretzel Rod Stewart have his moment, let him get it out of his system

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I'm angling for a nice red title :twisted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

And for Fallout purists not only was she Gloria Van Graff in FNV, she was Scarlett in Alpha Protocol. She owns.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

She really does, I love her. That's why it's a shame she was given the impossible and unasked-for task of embodying all conceivable player avatars instead of being given a starring role as a companion or even the main villain, something where you can stretch your legs instead of saying "What's this?" in a cramped recording booth for four hours

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My problem with voiced protagonist with a more defined backstory is that it feels like they're kinda half-assing it. I don't mind playing as a predefined characters or a total blank, but having this weird in-between existence is kind of awkward. I don't trust Bethesda to make my dialog wheel have enough options for properly roleplaying, but I also don't trust them enough to have the dialog wheel put out a definitive personality. It's just this really odd wishy-washy way of making a character.

Admittedly, my fears are mostly based on assumptions of Bethesda's incompetence, but I feel they are reasonably well founded at this point.

Edit: Like, the Shepard example it was clearly like a total of four possible characters you could make: two genders, good or evil. And the character would be reasonably well defined if you stuck to those. I don't trust Bethesda to have even that, not with options like GET FOOD and WHERE'S EVERYONE.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

frajaq posted:

He's just SMELLING THAT AIR

And he's not the voice of the male PC because...?

[Lady Killer/Confirmed Bachelor] "I could just drink you like BOOOOOOZE - hmmhmmHAAHAAH!"

Ah.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

frajaq posted:

Are there going to be radscorpions in this game??

Yep, and they look nastier than ever.

Azhais posted:

Impossible. Nobody's ever let that motherfucker go more than two feet past the border of Nipton before blowing his head off.:commissar:

Doodles fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 22, 2015

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

My problem with voiced protagonist with a more defined backstory is that it feels like they're kinda half-assing it. I don't mind playing as a predefined characters or a total blank, but having this weird in-between existence is kind of awkward. I don't trust Bethesda to make my dialog wheel have enough options for properly roleplaying, but I also don't trust them enough to have the dialog wheel put out a definitive personality. It's just this really odd wishy-washy way of making a character.

Admittedly, my fears are mostly based on assumptions of Bethesda's incompetence, but I feel they are reasonably well founded at this point.

Edit: Like, the Shepard example it was clearly like a total of four possible characters you could make: two genders, good or evil. And the character would be reasonably well defined if you stuck to those. I don't trust Bethesda to have even that, not with options like GET FOOD and WHERE'S EVERYONE.

Yeah if I were being completely sincere itt instead of doing a bit this is basically what I'd be posting. Either literally make me John Fallout, the dog-loving white man you need for your story, or let me be Ol' Bilious Higgleston, a 75y.o. ex-Enclave scientist with a drug habit. I'm not pleased with the middle ground.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Deviations posted:

And he's not the voice of the male PC because...?

Dude's too busy voicing Yosuke in the next several hundred Persona 4 spinoffs.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yeah if I were being completely sincere itt instead of doing a bit this is basically what I'd be posting. Either literally make me John Fallout, the dog-loving white man you need for your story, or let me be Ol' Bilious Higgleston, a 75y.o. ex-Enclave scientist with a drug habit. I'm not pleased with the middle ground.

My feeling is that since they've apparently decided on a voiced protagonist I'm just glad they hired such a kickass voice actress.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

Just let Pretzel Rod Stewart have his moment, let him get it out of his system

Okay. :shobon:

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

My feeling is that since they've apparently decided on a voiced protagonist I'm just glad they hired such a kickass voice actress.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The male voice actor seems to be notable in that he voices mooks and is a knockoff voice actor for acting talent from movies. Weird, since she is actually pretty recognizable.

though he voices roland in Halo 4 or whatever, whoever that dude is.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I really just wish they'd spring for some additional talent - they've literally been using the same 4-5 people since Oblivion. The Vault-Tec guy at the beginning has the same VA as like half the men in FO3.

At least it's gotten better in that they now mix them up a bit (everyone of the same gender/race in Oblivion was voiced by 1 person) but there's still a few instances where dead obvious the same lines are being used over and over again. I'm pretty sure every old woman in FO3 is voiced by the same person. Or old women just sound all the same.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah this encapsulates my issues with FO4. At this point I just don't trust Bethesda to get the execution right. I don't really have any intrinsic issues with their overarching design choices but they have yet to prove they can implement them in a way that isn't mediocre at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Part 4 of Shamus's critique is up.

• Locked thread