Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Soylent Yellow posted:

I recently took up walking again, and am thinking of buying a new pair of boots. I currently own a pair of Brasher Fellmasters. These are in good condition, and while perfect for wet and cold days, I was wondering if there's anything slightly lighter and more breathable for summer use. For now, I'll probably be doing 10-15 miles, mainly on trails but with a bit of mild hillwalking thrown in. Does anyone have some decent reccommendations? I wear a UK size 10, and have slightly wide feet just to complicate things.

I like Merrel's hiking shoes. Very breathable and durable as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Soylent Yellow posted:

I recently took up walking again, and am thinking of buying a new pair of boots. I currently own a pair of Brasher Fellmasters. These are in good condition, and while perfect for wet and cold days, I was wondering if there's anything slightly lighter and more breathable for summer use. For now, I'll probably be doing 10-15 miles, mainly on trails but with a bit of mild hillwalking thrown in. Does anyone have some decent reccommendations? I wear a UK size 10, and have slightly wide feet just to complicate things.

I have been considering the transabled lifestyle. Have you been crawling or did you get a wheeled-chair? What made you go back to being abled?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there a difference between "quicker" and "more quickly"?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
No.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Vegetable posted:

Same denotation, but the connotation is a touch different imo. "Quicker" sounds more casual in usage. "She returned from the store quicker than I did" vs "She returned from the store more quickly than I did" -- the latter sounds much better to my ears, the former sounds ... not quite uneducated, maybe lazier in effect?

e: In that context, I'd use either 'more quickly' or 'faster' in preference to quicker.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Jeza posted:

I don't know about a large collective resource, but I'm sure you can find ramblings on well-known paintings. Some kinds of fruit in old paintings are meant to connote wealth. Usually it's flowers that are loaded with more specific meanings.

The other major fruit symbolism is ripening. In this case almost certainly sexual, or at least from child into adult. Plums have a kind of association with virginity and sexual maturity, because they are one of the first fruits to ripen in spring after winter.

Thanks! I was searching for plums and kept getting Chinese art.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Vegetable posted:

Quicker is an adjective, so it modifies a noun, or describes a thing. Quickly is an adverb, which modifies a verb, or describes an action.

A cheetah is quicker than a rabbit. It runs more quickly than a rabbit does.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 21, 2015

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Why's cost of living so cheap in Rhode Island and Providence? What's the catch?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rizuhbull posted:

There's not much going on there. Also a buncha people who live there commute hours away to Boston or to places in CT.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have heard that it's possible that a former employer can take part of your 401k if you are cashing it out and they were contributing to it. How much truth to this is there to this, and is it something they have to pursue or do they automatically take it back? I have a few grand sitting in an account from a job I had years ago and I'd like to cash it out, but most of it was obtained through a small percentage of my pay (that did not get removed from my checks) automatically going into the account each pay period.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rizuhbull posted:

Organized crime. They disappear so much money up there it looks like everyone is living on Idaho's level.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I have heard that it's possible that a former employer can take part of your 401k if you are cashing it out and they were contributing to it. How much truth to this is there to this, and is it something they have to pursue or do they automatically take it back? I have a few grand sitting in an account from a job I had years ago and I'd like to cash it out, but most of it was obtained through a small percentage of my pay (that did not get removed from my checks) automatically going into the account each pay period.

This is partially true in some cases. Any money that came out of your paycheck is yours to keep forever. As an incentive most employers will put some in themselves on top of your regular paycheck. This is called employer match or the employer contribution, and its usually a few percent of your pay. Every place has a different formula for exactly how much extra they give you. They will start matching your money as soon as you start the job, but some have rules that say you need to be at the company X years in order to keep it. This also varies by company, but anything from 0 to 5 years is common, sometimes its pro rated per year. Either way, this extra match money is the only thing they could ever take back. Anything they take back generally gets taken out automatically when you leave the job, so whats in the account now is probably yours to keep.

As for where the money is going, are you literaly cashing out or moving to another retirement account? There are taxes and fees involved in cashing out that could easily eat 35% or more of the value. Come see us in the general finance thread if you want to know more: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3256838

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm actually a little spotty on it because it's been about 6 years since I worked there, but I believe I wasn't contributing to the 401k myself at all and the employer automatically put a little bit into the account for me (like a fraction of a percent of my earings) and then matched up to a few percent but I wasn't putting anything myself because I was dumb.

I'd like to just cash it out. I know there will be big penalties but 3 grand isn't going to save my life when I'm 60 and I'm super hard up for money at the moment and even if I got half of it right now it would be a big deal. I was at the company for about 5 years so hopefully I'm in the clear? I'm hoping they can guide me in the right direction at the bank tomorrow.

Thanks I'll check that thread out.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

NESguerilla posted:

I'm actually a little spotty on it because it's been about 6 years since I worked there, but I believe I wasn't contributing to the 401k myself at all and the employer automatically put a little bit into the account for me (like a fraction of a percent of my earings) and then matched up to a few percent but I wasn't putting anything myself because I was dumb.

I'd like to just cash it out. I know there will be big penalties but 3 grand isn't going to save my life when I'm 60 and I'm super hard up for money at the moment and even if I got half of it right now it would be a big deal. I was at the company for about 5 years so hopefully I'm in the clear? I'm hoping they can guide me in the right direction at the bank tomorrow.

Thanks I'll check that thread out.

The term you need to use when asking is vested. Typically you have to be at a place a certain number of years to be fully vested ie, the money is all yours. Every place uses a different formula and some do it gradually, such as 25% each year. So if you leave after 3 years you get 100% of your contributions but only 75% of theirs.

The good news is that if you left that long ago, then whatever you see there is likely what's available to you. They would remove their amount at the time of your departure. However, yeah you are going to pay heavy early penalty fees and the money will likely count as income for your taxes next year.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I have a google spreadsheet/excel type question that I'm hoping someone could help me with.
I want to have data in a row change color depending on their relation to each other.

For example, 20, 20, 20, 20, 90, 1

Is there a way to get the '90' and '1' entries to have a color for higher than average and a color for lower than average? I'll have hundreds of rows, and I want the high values and low values within each row to stand out.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baldbeard posted:

I have a google spreadsheet/excel type question that I'm hoping someone could help me with.
I want to have data in a row change color depending on their relation to each other.

For example, 20, 20, 20, 20, 90, 1

Is there a way to get the '90' and '1' entries to have a color for higher than average and a color for lower than average? I'll have hundreds of rows, and I want the high values and low values within each row to stand out.

I can't tell you for google's excel clone, but in excel 2010, you do this:

One of the rule sets for the color scales is to work based on averages instead of raw number, and you can also make it so the middle of the scale is no color highlighting at all.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

syscall girl posted:

Organized crime. They disappear so much money up there it looks like everyone is living on Idaho's level.
Is that it? It doesn't seem like that'd affect me too much. I'm a young college student looking to move there with a friend and the craigslist prices seem too good to be true.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rizuhbull posted:

Is that it? It doesn't seem like that'd affect me too much. I'm a young college student looking to move there with a friend and the craigslist prices seem too good to be true.

Nah it isn't. You should basically think of it as a city that's become just an unusually large college town over the years.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah it isn't. You should basically think of it as a city that's become just an unusually large college town over the years.
I'm ok with that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have a jpeg measuring 64200x31200 for a 20'x40" banner. It's 216mb. I'd like to resize this to a 2400x1200 image, but it causes every program I've thrown it at (Preview, Resizeit, Photos, LR, Illustrator) to choke and die. How can I resize this image?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tuyop posted:

I have a jpeg measuring 64200x31200 for a 20'x40" banner. It's 216mb. I'd like to resize this to a 2400x1200 image, but it causes every program I've thrown it at (Preview, Resizeit, Photos, LR, Illustrator) to choke and die. How can I resize this image?

Your problem is that that image is 2 gigapixels and is going to cause problems for just about everything. What program created it in the first place?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Your problem is that that image is 2 gigapixels and is going to cause problems for just about everything. What program created it in the first place?

No idea, I got it from a design firm for sending off to a printer. I thought they were using Illustrator but everything I got from them turned into a bit of a mess unless I massaged it a bit so I'm imagining them running some $2000 program on a Mac Pro.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tuyop posted:

No idea, I got it from a design firm for sending off to a printer. I thought they were using Illustrator but everything I got from them turned into a bit of a mess unless I massaged it a bit so I'm imagining them running some $2000 program on a Mac Pro.

Honestly, the simplest scenario, if you can do it, would be to print it out on standard size paper, and then scan that back in on a decent scanner and crop it to the size you need.

You can try special 64 bit builds of image editing programs (you'll need it, because that image is going to require like 8 GB of RAM uncompressed for editing) to try editing it, but even that might exceed their limits.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

tuyop posted:

Try imagemagick. It's all command-line so it'll have a little bit of a learning curve, but it can do an amazing variety of things and has a few different ways to handle stupidly-huge files. The "stream mode" sounds promising -- at the very least you should be able to use that to extract reasonably-sized chunks of the image, then scale those chunks one at a time and finally stitch them all back together.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been seeing this album floating around on social media, and while it's obviously a bunker of some sort I'm not seeing a good explanation of what it would have been built for or why it's so huge. Just looking for any info history buffs might have.

http://imgur.com/gallery/yBle6

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NESguerilla posted:

I've been seeing this album floating around on social media, and while it's obviously a bunker of some sort I'm not seeing a good explanation of what it would have been built for or why it's so huge. Just looking for any info history buffs might have.

It's just one of many bunker complexes all over Europe and especially Germany that were built in the initial expectations that although nuclear war could happen, you'd still need regular air forces to carry the bombs (ICBMS for launching a bomb out of like North Dakota straight to Moscow weren't around for quite a while). As such massive east-west war was expected to be much more survivable, so being able to hold out on the ground would be useful.

If you'd like to learn about more bunkers like that, check out http://www.subbrit.org.uk/category/civil-defence

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

rizuhbull posted:

because no one wants to live here

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have had a big box of trading cards baseball/basketball and some old CCGs like Star Wars, Wyvern and Spell something. Whats the quickest/easiest way to determine if there is anything of value in there? There are hundreds of cards and it seems like a loving mess to type each card in and figure out if its worth a few pennies, I just want to know if there's anything actually worth more than the cardboard its printed on.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

rizuhbull posted:

Most of the rental stock is fairly low-quality and poorly maintained. It's not at all simple to find work. Not everyone likes the weather.

I am very pro-Providence, despite what I just said. There is a lot of cool stuff going on there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Reason posted:

I have had a big box of trading cards baseball/basketball and some old CCGs like Star Wars, Wyvern and Spell something. Whats the quickest/easiest way to determine if there is anything of value in there? There are hundreds of cards and it seems like a loving mess to type each card in and figure out if its worth a few pennies, I just want to know if there's anything actually worth more than the cardboard its printed on.

Maybe take it into a game shop that sells them and see if the owner or someone who works there will go through them and give you a price for any they want to buy? Or you could try eBaying the whole box to see if anyone wants to buy it on the chance that it's worthwhile.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Reason posted:

It depends on how much you value your time at. If you want to get rid of them quickly, a comic/card game store will probably buy them all, but only at a massive discount for the following reasons:
-The market for old collectibles moves slowly, there's no guarantee that a buyer will come along, even if some cards are worth a lot.
-They have you over a barrel, since they know customers don't know how to valuate or hilariously overvaluate their collections.
-Most comic/game shops are already struggling to get by.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

NESguerilla posted:

Who owns something like this? It's obviously abandoned, could you theoretically make it liveable and squat there for a decade to try and gain the rights to it?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tuyop posted:

tuyop posted:

Email the design company and tell them to send you a copy in the format that you want.

Chances are that it was a simple illustrator file and they've exported it as a giant jpg because the designer knows dick about file formats,

Even without seeing the image, I bet a perfectly usable pdf is going to be <20MB

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Base Emitter posted:

There used to be a way to disable using a specific item to get recommendations, but I can't find it now. Even with that you'd have to disable all the individual apps you downloaded.

eta: It's still there, go to "your recommendations" under your account, find a recommendation that you're mad about, click "why recommended" and then you'll see what item generated the recommendation and you can click "don't use this for recommendations".

Yeah, I knew about this, I was just hoping there was some global setting to not show recommendations from certain categories, like Apps or digital purchases.

Thanks, though!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Captain Bravo posted:

Who owns something like this? It's obviously abandoned, could you theoretically make it liveable and squat there for a decade to try and gain the rights to it?

Either the successor government/military to the one who built it, or the guy whose land it's in and on. It's probably not something you can get squatter title on.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Reason posted:

There is nothing of value in there. You have a few options. 1) Go through the whole mess, card by card and look them up either online or in a collector's catalog and see if any individual cards are worth anything. They won't be. 2) Put the whole unsorted mess up on eBay for $5. Let someone else do the digging to see if you have anything of value. 3) Burn, trash or recycle into an art project. Personally, I'd do option 3.

I mean really, just as an example, you can see that there are a lot of Star Wars CCG cards up on eBay, but no one is buying them. The highest value I saw anyone bidding on was $14 with 1 bid.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

How long will super glue take to dissolve when bathed in nail varnish remover

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Or hold on to them and let your kids rifle through them some day. I used to go through my dads old football cards and loved reading the little blurbs about long retired players.

If you want to go through them though then depending on how old they are focus on any rookie cards, cards with bits of memorabilia on them (jersey swatches, etc) or cards with serial numbers. Most of these will likely be worthless but if you do have something valuable it'll probably be one of those things.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

EmmyOk posted:

How long will super glue take to dissolve when bathed in nail varnish remover

If the remover is acetone, pretty quickly, few minutes at most (to goopy at least, depends on how much glue and how much solvent there is). If the remover is ethyl acetate, it looks like you'll be waiting much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

If the remover is acetone, pretty quickly, few minutes at most (to goopy at least, depends on how much glue and how much solvent there is). If the remover is ethyl acetate, it looks like you'll be waiting much longer.

I was stripping wire out of a fencing blade, so I bathed it in nail varnish for a while. It pulled out easily in the end. Cheers!