Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Bought a 42ss in store today. Went through three of them before we found one that didn't have a crown that felt sticky/hard to move. Very weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jealous Cow posted:

Bought a 42ss in store today. Went through three of them before we found one that didn't have a crown that felt sticky/hard to move. Very weird.

Which one?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Jealous Cow posted:

...timb?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
First two were the classic buckle. Third was a black sport band which didn't have the problem.

Apparently others have run into this. If I recall Gruber's demo unit had a sticky crown as well.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I got my 42mm with the blue leather band in 3 days, ordering online. I guess I'm ordering the one that isn't selling!

It's still early days, but in a way I feel polite-r than everyone. My notifications are way less intrusive! :v:

The ability to chime my iPhone whenever I want is worth hours of my life over the next few years. This has paid for itself.

:ninja: edit: I want to start a PYF Watch Face thread.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

My stainless steel had the exact same problem. However, I decided to go with the cheaper Sport option and it wasn't sticky.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

:siren:BREAKING NEWS:siren: Apple Watch 2: Apple plans FaceTime cam, iPhone-free Wi-Fi, $1000+ models, similar battery life. http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/18/apple-watch-2-camera-tetherless/

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

enMTW posted:

:siren:BREAKING NEWS:siren: Apple Watch 2: Apple plans FaceTime cam, iPhone-free Wi-Fi, $1000+ models, similar battery life. http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/18/apple-watch-2-camera-tetherless/

Meh, what I really want to hear is a plan for additional matching bands for Edition watches. It's a little thing but the steel ring on my leather loop still bothers me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For anyone wanting Space Black, apparently the 38mm has been getting in stores for pickup, the 42mm not an option for pick up at all though (I think every watch but that one is available). On the plus side it seems like the estimated delivery time has been early July for a while now and apparently they've been filling a lot of later orders early in Europe recently...US orders not so much.

enMTW posted:

Kinda wondering about that wifi part, cause iirc watch OS 2 is bringing at least some that type of stuff already. 5ghz wifi would be nice for people stuck with those networks though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

edit: nm, I can google

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 19, 2015

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Getting an arrow on my watch telling me where to go while walking/driving feels like some futuristic poo poo from a movie. Best and most used feature by far.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

One glitch I noticed is I pressed the directions button for an appointment, which I specified to alert me in advance for walking travel time, and it kept giving me driving directions. I had to pull out the phone and set walking mode! Disgusting!

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I've had a lovely week so I decided to get myself a new toy today. Unfortunately, there were no reservations available for my local Apple store for the model I wanted. Fortunately, I am a developer and had 10 spare minutes.

Here's a PowerShell script (Windows only, sorry Mac users) that will pull down the store and availability JSON files and show you the stores in your state that have the model you want in stock. Just replace the $model and $state variables with your desired model and the state you're looking for. The JSON files update about once a minute. This requeries every 30 seconds, and if it finds that the JSON is stale, it refreshes every 10 seconds until it gets updated reservation status. I've had my local Apple store pop up a few times, but even with computer assistance, the reservation was already taken by the time I'd gone through the process -- reservations tend to only be available for 2 or 3 minutes, at least in my area.

code:
clear
$model = 'MJ3T2LL/A'
$state = 'New Jersey'
$lastUpdatedTime = [string]::Empty
$storesJson = (invoke-webrequest 'https://reserve.cdn-apple.com/US/en_US/reserve/watch/stores.json').Content | ConvertFrom-Json

while ($true) {
    $availJson = ((invoke-webrequest 'https://reserve.cdn-apple.com/US/en_US/reserve/watch/availability.json').Content | ConvertFrom-Json)

if ($lastUpdatedTime -eq $availJson.updated) {
        start-sleep -Seconds 10
        continue
    }
    $lastUpdatedTime = $availJson.updated

$availability = $storesJson.stores | `
        where { $_.storeState -eq $state -and $_.storeEnabled -and $availJson.$($_.storeNumber).$model } | `
        select storeName, storeCity  

if (!$availability) {
        write-output "$(get-date): Nothing available"
        start-sleep -Seconds 30
        continue
    }
    get-date
    $availability | % { "$($_.storeName), $($_.storeCity)" }

start-sleep -Seconds 30
}

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 20, 2015

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
Do any Watch apps have the ability to do sleep tracking? Or is that maybe something that will come with Watch OS 2's native apps?

Dumping data into iOS Health has become a hobby of mine lately and I'd like to get an Apple Watch for better step counting and heart rate monitoring, as well as toying with that activity ring gamification stuff. But I think maybe the better option right now might be a Jawbone Up 2, since I'd also like to stop sleeping on my phone, or at least a Jawbone Up Move for sleep tracking alone. Ideally I'd like one device, but I imagine I'd be more comfortable sleeping with something that doesn't have a screen.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I was doing so, and it works, but you run into the problem of when do you charge it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So now that I can buy it in stores I finally picked one of these up today. Seems pretty cool so far. The haptic stuff feels surprisingly good, and I'm sure once I get used to it I'll be using it instead of checking messages on my phone quite a bit.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

LorneReams posted:

I was doing so, and it works, but you run into the problem of when do you charge it.

Which app in particular were you using?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Picked up a black sports one from Apple Store yesterday and returning it tomorrow. Really tried to find anything good about it that justifies the price but I couldn't. Hopefully the second gen one will be better.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

keyframe posted:

Picked up a black sports one from Apple Store yesterday and returning it tomorrow. Really tried to find anything good about it that justifies the price but I couldn't. Hopefully the second gen one will be better.

Same here. Also got a black sport in an Apple store two days ago, so far...meh.

My only justification for keeping it is that I'm writing an app that lends itself to having a companion watch app, and having a real device to test on is better than using emulators.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

keyframe posted:

If you have 14 days it might be worth your while to wait a few more. It's a really nice device but it's subtle and it took me a while to figure out how it could be most useful.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Agronox posted:

If you have 14 days it might be worth your while to wait a few more. It's a really nice device but it's subtle and it took me a while to figure out how it could be most useful.

I know you were responding to keyframe, but I was thinking the same thing. I told the iPerson that I've never returned anything in my entire life but the watch might go back. I mentioned the stretching/discoloration problem which happens to the bands, and asked if that would be a problem for a return. iPerson said no, only the watch body itself had to be in perfect condition.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Are there any decent, reasonably priced third party bands? I just want something that's simple black leather that feels better than the rubber thing that came with the sport version.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I wish they made a space grey Milanese loop.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Agronox posted:

Yea I do but I don't think it will change my mind. Don't get me wrong I don't hate the watch but I can't think of a single reason to justify spending $590 on it ( :canada: ). If it was $250 or less I would keep it for the novelty and I like the workout notifications but I will just wait and see what the second gen brings.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I ordered a 42 Milanese last Sunday and got it Friday the 19th despite the shipping originally saying I should expect it by July 7th. So that's pretty cool. It's a nice looking thing, I was very doubtful of it's usefulness but it's actually nice to see how important an email/text is before reaching for my phone. It's definitely a fashion item that happens to be vaguely useful than a useful item that happens to be vaguely fashionable.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chinaman7000 posted:

I ordered a 42 Milanese last Sunday and got it Friday the 19th despite the shipping originally saying I should expect it by July 7th. So that's pretty cool. It's a nice looking thing, I was very doubtful of it's usefulness but it's actually nice to see how important an email/text is before reaching for my phone. It's definitely a fashion item that happens to be vaguely useful than a useful item that happens to be vaguely fashionable.

I think it's great as long as you recognize the limitations and uses of this kind of device. If you think its going to be the kind of device that you sit there doing stuff on/playing with like your phone, you'll be disappointed. It's not a device you'll spend a lot of time actually using (as in interacting with it) but when you do it's great. Definitely keeps my phone in my pocket more.

I've also been really impressed with the voice recognition for texting.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

keyframe posted:

Yea I do but I don't think it will change my mind. Don't get me wrong I don't hate the watch but I can't think of a single reason to justify spending $590 on it ( :canada: ). If it was $250 or less I would keep it for the novelty and I like the workout notifications but I will just wait and see what the second gen brings.

Fair enough (and it's kind of ridiculous how much they're hitting the Canadians for).

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

TheJoker138 posted:

Are there any decent, reasonably priced third party bands? I just want something that's simple black leather that feels better than the rubber thing that came with the sport version.

I posted this many pages back.

rage-saq posted:

The cheapish pandawell leather strap on amazon is actually decent. The lugs that were included are pretty much a flawless fit and match the finish of the stainless perfectly, and while the leather band is on the cheap side, its perfectly functional. I find it quite a bit more comfortable than the sport band for regular wear, but given my preference for leather straps thats not a surprise.

My opinion of it wavered a bit as it never really broke in and felt a little too thin and plasticy instead of like real, quality leather, which is what I wanted. Still, its a super cheap alternative. So then I got this

rage-saq posted:

The t23mm deployant strap through strapcode/amazon came in last night and its way better than the super cheap/pleathery pandawell strap that never seemed to actually break in and fit well on my wrist. This Miltat was pretty much a perfect fit the second I put it on, which isn't surprising considering they are a 'real watch' watch strap company vs some knockoff company who sells stuff for uber cheap. The leather feels great and the deployant is great too, I can barely tell its there.

If you need lugs to attach your strap Amazon has this one from Bandsai with Prime and it fits good and the stainless finish matches perfect. I still love it and really its only gotten better now that its all the way broken in. I would be a little happier with it if they made a 24mm version that fills up the lug a little bit more

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Agronox posted:

Fair enough (and it's kind of ridiculous how much they're hitting the Canadians for).

An unfortunate side effect of CADUSD taking a massive dump right as the watch was launching. Apple stuff has gone way up CAD pricing - fairly constant in USD terms though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So is it possible to start a call on my phone and then hand it off to the watch? I'm a weird fringe case, but there are times at work this would be super useful.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I've noticed that when I get an email notification, but then acknowledge it on my phone rather than on my watch, the notification remains on my watch until I acknowledge it too. I would expect notifications to sync across both devices so that, when I acknowledge the notification on one, it will clear on the other device also.

Is something going wrong here, or is that how it's designed to work?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

So is it possible to start a call on my phone and then hand it off to the watch? I'm a weird fringe case, but there are times at work this would be super useful.

I have tried and can't figure out how to do that. I'm in the same boat, sometimes when I am at home I would make a transition like that.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

LorneReams posted:

Getting an arrow on my watch telling me where to go while walking/driving feels like some futuristic poo poo from a movie. Best and most used feature by far.

That is probably my favorite feature so far. I'm really hoping that other nav apps like waze, google maps, or navigon gain the ability to do this eventually.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Just found out by accident at the gym today that you can just press the crown when you have a timer run out. Pretty cool, before I was always hitting the button on touchscreen, which felt kinda clumsy.

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
What does the (i) icon next to this calendar item indicate? I've never seen it with any other event.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I think that's an exclamation mark, which means there's another event at the same time.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zwille posted:

I think that's an exclamation mark, which means there's another event at the same time.

Confirmed. I have this happening often.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is watchOS 2 going to have a public beta like iOS 9 and El Capitan?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Probably not because apparently once you install the beta you cannot roll it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Probably not because apparently once you install the beta you cannot roll it back.

Technically there's no supported way to rollback iOS and Mac OS.

• Locked thread