Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the funniest part is that golang will still be a bad language even if they inevitably add in decent generics

but it'd still be over 8 years since the language's public inception in which every single year involved everyone that wasn't blind to the development of programming languages for the past 5 decades asking for generics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
go is objectively bad but please remember that users of bad languages are victims of the language and not perpetrators. please dont victim blame in this thread, it is the safe zone.

i dont have any specific examples, just a friendly reminder to this thread.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i agree

i'm mad mainly at rob pike, google, et al. for hyping a bad language for naive programmers trying to break out of the hellhole of dynamic typing that is ruby or python or w/e

i think the most we can do is just educate people away from voluntarily choosing the language

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i know some good programmers who are not afraid of type systems and they like go a lot. it seems to me that the language seems really dumb until you adopt whatever the idiomatic approach is and then it becomes usable.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the idiomatic approach is to untype everything with interfaces because the language was incorrectly designed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it seems to me that the language seems really dumb until you adopt whatever the idiomatic approach is and then it becomes usable.

so you're saying the idiomatic approach to golang is to not implement any data structures, because user-created generic structures subvert the type system

is that the point where it's supposed to stop seeming dumb?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i actually prefer golang's approach of functional composition over java/c# where everything has OOP kool-aid boilerplate for no good reason

i also like that you can't do subtype polymorphism and must use interfaces

i think moving away from the OOP madness is part of the appeal of golang

but it's not compelling when you replace OOP madness with another form of madness that is actually worse

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so you're saying the idiomatic approach to golang is to not implement any data structures, because user-created generic structures subvert the type system

is that the point where it's supposed to stop seeming dumb?
you can implement data structures

you just have to make them data structures of interface{}

or copy paste the implementation for every type you want

lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

lol this is my favorite. "i personally am too inexperienced to be able to comprehend how generics could ever be useful outside of the container types already present in the standard library, therefore generics are unnecessary"

if i look back over the java i've written this last couple of years, there are a good dozen or so packages that use generics to do things utterly unrelated to providing basic container types, plus several data structures that were missing from the standard library and not readily available in suitable third-party libraries. could i have written all that code without generics? yes, but it wouldn't have had compile-time type safety, so it would have been like programming with one hand tied behind my back.

why would i ever choose a language like go that wilfully refuses to provide useful tools that come as standard elsewhere?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

comedyblissoption posted:

or copy paste the implementation for every type you want

when golang finally adds generics, what do you want to bet they turn out to be c++-style templating

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i have faith that they'll choose the worst possible style of generics

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Zlodo posted:

id say focus on the math side for now and dont bother too much digging far into opengl because it'll become very obsolete very soon when vulkan and dx12 become available

vulkan seems likely to be a thing only game engine writers will care about, not your average programmer

using an engine is probably correct for opengl as wel,l unless you'd rather get stuck in fiddly perspective matrix math than finish a project

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm sure Jonathan Blow will *blow* everyone's mind with his new language

actually I never watched any of his videos, how good (or bad) is his language thing?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
i've never watched them either but i feel safe in assuming that his language is bad

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Valeyard posted:

i need a new project

use your Haskell skills to add support for more constructs to CλaSH

TOPS-420
Feb 13, 2012

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

comedyblissoption posted:

i have faith that they'll choose the worst possible style of generics

some hellish combination of C++ style templates for compile time and type erasure so none of that propagates to runtime?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
in go, it's a build error to declare a variable and not use it.
it's also a build error to import a package and not use it.

i don't appreciate this when i'm experimenting with some code change and want to just compile and run without cleaning up all the loose ends first.
you literally have to be a retard to like this language.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

fleshweasel posted:

i don't appreciate this when i'm experimenting with some code change and want to just compile and run without cleaning up all the loose ends first.
you literally have to be a retard to like this language.

these would be sensible as warnings, not as errors

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i mainly use Java 1.3 in my job and the lack of generics is HELL and every time i need a list of things i have to go have a cry out back

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

let's be honest here how often do you really need lists or containers of things in programming

it's really an edge case scenario

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

bobbilljim posted:

i mainly use Java 1.3 in my job

whyyyyyy

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

bobbilljim posted:

i mainly use Java 1.3 in my job and the lack of generics is HELL and every time i need a list of things i have to go have a cry out back
NICE!

I mean, what the hell man

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

lol i thought i was badly off using 1.5

:rip:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

St Evan Echoes posted:

lol i thought i was badly off using 1.5

bobbilljim posted:

:stonk:

how does that happen? are you stuck writing for windows 2000 or something

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

fleshweasel posted:

:psyduck:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Brain Candy posted:

:stonk:

how does that happen? are you stuck writing for windows 2000 or something
oracle 11g uses 1.5 so until we upgrade to 12c the policy is always target 1.5

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

go users will simply tell you to install a plugin that deletes anything that isn't being used on every save

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

triple sulk posted:

go users will simply tell you to install a plugin that deletes anything that isn't being used on every save

Please tell me that this isn't actually a thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think one exists for Eclipse too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I haven't used cpp since 2007 they have lambdas now!? #wow #whoa

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i have spent some time trying to get an "older" Rust library to compile and it's absolutely insane how much has changed. the last successful build was apparently just 6 month ago and at this point i'm wondering if it's even worth it to keep going or to just write it from scratch because I'm just making whatever change gets it to compile and i have no idea if it's going to work at the end of it.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i have spent some time trying to get an "older" Rust library to compile and it's absolutely insane how much has changed. the last successful build was apparently just 6 month ago and at this point i'm wondering if it's even worth it to keep going or to just write it from scratch because I'm just making whatever change gets it to compile and i have no idea if it's going to work at the end of it.

seems like your library is rusty

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
cross-posting from the CoC get a job thread:

recruiter posted:

Hi gonadic io
I’ve just got the feedback from (company) and unfortunately it’s a no from them this time round. They said you did very well on the technical section however they decided they were looking for someone with a couple of years of industrial experience under their belt. One very positive piece of feedback is that you have excellent CompSci fundamentals and in a couple of years you would fit in with the team over at (company).

i'm counting this as a win :toot:

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

but of course it has a good test suite to verify correct behavior, right? right??

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005

gonadic io posted:

con(gratulations|dolences)

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
currently contemplating building some sort of distributed chat system as a side project. clojure seems neat but dynamic typing ugh.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

:toot:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

duck typing is so awful they're taking it out of python lol

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Plastic Snake posted:

currently contemplating building some sort of distributed chat system as a side project. clojure seems neat but dynamic typing ugh.

clojure's eventual typing is really cool

• Locked thread