Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah I'm talking about the 1 video. The turn lane you were going into became a turn lane for that dude about 20 feet down the road, they just went into it early. Like many people do when there is no traffic on the road, popping out from behind a bus and quickly changing lanes.

I can include your post:

tuna posted:

disclaimer: bad driving by me but I don't care, I just wanted to piss them off. (I'm the people you share a road with)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utPbn4-_Gyw

1440p mini 0806 video. The lens is a bit blurry for my liking, so I'd suggest not to get the 0806 but otherwise decent camera.

People do that poo poo all the time on the road, and 99% of the time it isn't an issue because it's easing into the lane early and there is no one else there. You just popped out from behind a bus then crossed like 3 separate lanes in 50 feet and acted like they were 100% in the wrong. Dunno what state you are in but why don't you check what the proper distance is to change lanes where you live? And when you see someone in the wrong, can you just continue on your path and be without blame?

"I am legally right" the driver claimed as he had an avoidable collision.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It didn't turn into a turning lane, the person was just flat out on the wrong side of the yellow line.

tuna probably didn't even need to turn there, but saw it happening and couldn't pass up the opportunity to bully somebody out of a lane head-on without feeling in the wrong.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Okay.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

nsaP posted:

Nah I'm talking about the 1 video. The turn lane you were going into became a turn lane for that dude about 20 feet down the road, they just went into it early. Like many people do when there is no traffic on the road, popping out from behind a bus and quickly changing lanes.

You're 100% wrong. I exit from that same exit they did every day for work and it does not do what you think. There are double yellows and there is no extra lane that grows from them. The extra lane that is at that intersection comes from the right lane on their side, not their left. Here's google maps for proof. Follow the dotted lines etc. I'm coming south west, they're going north east. They literally would've had to have driven perpendicularly over 2 lanes (coming from the parking structure) and then over double yellows to end up where they were because they hadn't even passed the island yet. And you're complaining that I crossed over 1 lane in 50ft. Sorry but you're very wrong.

[edit] lol in the google maps image there is someone doing an illegal uturn there.

tuna fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 22, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

And? Show that image to any cop, lawyer or judge and ask who's in the wrong. I dare you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Heh, there's a car on google maps doing a u-turn at that exact spot, probably what the car in question was about to do before you stormed in to save the day.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

tuna posted:

You're 100% wrong. I exit from that same exit they did every day for work and it does not do what you think. There are double yellows and there is no extra lane that grows from them. The extra lane that is at that intersection comes from the right lane on their side, not their left. Here's google maps for proof. Follow the dotted lines etc. I'm coming south west, they're going north east. They literally would've had to have driven perpendicularly over 2 lanes (coming from the parking structure) and then over double yellows to end up where they were because they hadn't even passed the island yet. And you're complaining that I crossed over 1 lane in 50ft. Sorry but you're very wrong.

[edit] lol in the google maps image there is someone doing an illegal uturn there.

The link you posted shows the turn lane that you were trying to go into disappearing for your path of traffic and widening into a left turn lane for the opposing guy... Either we are having a miscommunication or you are trolling the hell out of me because you are linking me images that confirm what I am saying :psyduck:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Enourmo posted:

And? Show that image to any cop, lawyer or judge and ask who's in the wrong. I dare you.

Who cares about a judge? Ask your insurer.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

nsaP posted:

The link you posted shows the turn lane that you were trying to go into disappearing for your path of traffic and widening into a left turn lane for the opposing guy... Either we are having a miscommunication or you are trolling the hell out of me because you are linking me images that confirm what I am saying :psyduck:

Maybe communication. I outlined the actual lanes of the road in this picture in black and drew a red line for the other car's path.

No lane exists in their path that ever becomes theirs until they turned back into their own lane.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You must have had a better view then the camera cause from what I saw it looked like they did this:

And the left turn lane you went into disappears into their left turn lane at the light.

edit: also I just realized your black lines for the lanes, here they would be something like this:

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 22, 2015

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
When is it ever ok to drive on the wrong side of the road when there is no emergency?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
When the rules of the road are not absolute and change based on situation. If you've never seen someone cross into a turn lane early when there was no other traffic I can't help you...maybe try going out to the country and seeing how people in trucks treat double yellows on the turns? Or maybe just how the average driver reacts to a speed limit sign? People change how they drive and how strictly they follow the rules based on the situation and whether they can break them without facing consequence.

To me, this guy just thought he could slide over early into the turn lane without consequence, he wasn't expecting another car there.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
And that's his folly. He made a calculated risk to break the law that didn't really pay off, and hes rather lucky nothing bad happened due to his error. The roads are painted for a reason, you know.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

And that's his folly. He made a calculated risk to break the law that didn't really pay off, and hes rather lucky nothing bad happened due to his error. The roads are painted for a reason, you know.

The point went right over your head so I'll just ask, have you ever driven on unpainted roads?

The point being, if you are being pedantic, I'm pretty sure the OP took a calculated risk to break the law as well. Most mandate minimum distances for lane changes. But in reality people do not follow this when there is no risk or it doesn't make sense. So to fault one person for driving like this while absolving the other is silly.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Are you just dense? What do unpainted roads have to do with painted ones? Generally, when whatever local authority paints a road, its because there is enough traffic to have a need to delineate where cars need to safely go (and there are generally penalties for not following those markings). Do you honestly think driving into traffic is not a bad thing?

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 22, 2015

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
The car was in the wrong lane. Period.

gently caress.

New Bad Drivers of Portland video up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A-BTKxLec4

I drive a lot of these same roads, so I'm glad I'm not in any of this poo poo

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
goons ruin everything, christ take your aspergers meds already

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Are you just dense? What do unpainted roads have to do with painted ones? Generally, when whatever local authority paints a road, its because there is enough traffic to have a need to delineate where cars need to safely go (and there are generally penalties for not following those markings). Do you honestly think driving into traffic is not a bad thing?

I agreed from my first post on the subject that the car was in the wrong by crossing the double yellow, so if you have missed all of the bits past that, again, I can't help you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/21/van-driver-handed-1000-fine-after-becoming-first-person-convicted-of-hogging-middle-lane-5256340/

quote:

A van driver has been handed a £940 fine and five penalty points after being convicted of ‘hogging’ the middle lane in what is thought to be the first conviction of its kind ever.

The driver of the Citroen Berlingo was going at 60mph and repeatedly refused to move out of the middle lane of the M62 near Huddersfield despite numerous opportunities to do so, forcing other motorists to brake and swerve to overtake them.

Leeds Magistrates’ Court ordered the driver – who did not appear in court – to pay a fine of £940 and have five penalty points on their driving licence in the first court conviction for the offence since the government made it illegal in 2013.

‘It [hogging the middle lane] reduces the capacity of roads and motorways, and can lead to dangerous situations where other drivers “tailgate” the vehicle in front to try and get the lane hogger to move over,’ explained PC Nigel Fawcett-Jones from the Road Policing Unit. Figures released in March showed that police had handed out over 10,000 on-the-spot fines since a change in law that allowed them to hand ‘inconsiderate’ motorists with £100 charges.

Woo hoo!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was on that exact road last night and had the exact same thing happen. Dickhead just sat in the middle lane while the inside was clear for a mile...

A fine isn't enough, I'm all for executing them at the side of the road.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
How does the penalty point system work in the UK?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

nsaP posted:

I agreed from my first post on the subject that the car was in the wrong by crossing the double yellow, so if you have missed all of the bits past that, again, I can't help you.

Then what the hell are you arguing about? Are you just trying to be a contrarian? Is that a spergy thing?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

bolind posted:

How does the penalty point system work in the UK?

12 points in 3 years = loss of license

6 months if you get 12 penalty points or more within 3 years
12 months if you get a 2nd disqualification within 3 years
2 years if you get a 3rd disqualification

https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/endorsement-codes-and-penalty-points

Generally, 3 points for speeding, a lot more for dangerous/drink driving.

EDIT: If you've had your license for <2 years, you only have 6 points.

spog fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 22, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Then what the hell are you arguing about? Are you just trying to be a contrarian? Is that a spergy thing?

fighting losing battles to the death is his gimmick i think

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

go3 posted:

Apparently it's a good one too because people keep falling for it.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

go3 posted:

I don't think I've even seen him post in any other AI threads. Definitely not the most popular ones. Maybe he's just naturally argumentative, but he got run out of D&D for being shite at it; figured that AI would be an easier battleground.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Me and a couple of my friends almost got a drunk driver arrested last week. We were leaving the movies when we saw a white E46 swerving and failing to maintain a constant speed. Its front right turn signal was also hanging out like they had hit something very recently. While following they almost swerved off the road more than once and came within inches of hitting a barrier. So I called the police and led them to the diner they ended up stopping at. The cop parked behind their car went inside and talked to them for about 20 minutes. Unfortunately they weren't stupid enough to admit they were just driving but they someone did have to come and pick them up. Got them off the road for the night and maybe (but probably not) the'll be scared out of doing it again.

This is the second time I've done this. About six years ago, with the same people, we got someone arrested. Reported them and the police caught them almost immediately. We them drove by a few times over the next 45 minutes until we saw the truck being put onto a flatbed.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

SFH1989 posted:

Me and a couple of my friends almost got a drunk driver arrested last week. We were leaving the movies when we saw a white E46 swerving and failing to maintain a constant speed. Its front right turn signal was also hanging out like they had hit something very recently. While following they almost swerved off the road more than once and came within inches of hitting a barrier. So I called the police and led them to the diner they ended up stopping at. The cop parked behind their car went inside and talked to them for about 20 minutes. Unfortunately they weren't stupid enough to admit they were just driving but they someone did have to come and pick them up. Got them off the road for the night and maybe (but probably not) the'll be scared out of doing it again.

This is the second time I've done this. About six years ago, with the same people, we got someone arrested. Reported them and the police caught them almost immediately. We them drove by a few times over the next 45 minutes until we saw the truck being put onto a flatbed.

There is a not-insignificant chance that you have saved someone's life. Thank you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That seems a trifle disproportionate to me. I mean, the best part of a grand and five points for what is, basically, lack of courtesy? Plus the cost of actually taking them to court?

Strikes me as an issue better served by the on-the-spot fines mentioned in the article, or a good old-fashioned Don't Let Me See You Again Sunshine chat.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

That seems a trifle disproportionate to me. I mean, the best part of a grand and five points for what is, basically, lack of courtesy? Plus the cost of actually taking them to court?

Strikes me as an issue better served by the on-the-spot fines mentioned in the article, or a good old-fashioned Don't Let Me See You Again Sunshine chat.

Yeah, it does seem a bit on the high side, given that speeding is 3 points and 100? quid.

I mean, lane hoggers piss me off, but as most lorries take 2 miles to overtake another lorry at 56mph, he's not exactly Hitler.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

dennyk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5RHJyTn0F4
Two turn lanes?! How does this work? :saddowns:

This happens so much I just expect it. There was one time when I was on the outside of 2 left turn lanes with a cop behind me, and the car just behind me on the inside lane decided it would be a great time to take the outside lane too. She got pulled over and I still get a justice boner thinking about it

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

InitialDave posted:

Only when a lane hogger's entire bloodline has been expunged from the annals of history can we say that justice has truly been served.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

gently caress.

OH MY GOSH!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

DEAR RICHARD posted:

That was pretty mild to be honest. There were a couple of shots where I couldn't even pick out people doing anything remarkable. If that's considered horrible driving in Portland, I'd take it any day.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Winnebago, excuse you!

It was like 300 yards ahead of him.

SHOCK HORROR.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Funzo posted:

That was pretty mild to be honest. There were a couple of shots where I couldn't even pick out people doing anything remarkable. If that's considered horrible driving in Portland, I'd take it any day.

Yeah, this one was really tame. Dashcammer was a dick in a lot of these things.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Yeah, this one was really tame. Dashcammer was a dick in a lot of these things.

Same thing with the Calgary bad-driver compilations. For every actual incident of poor driving, there's a picture of something that wouldn't have been an issue if the person driving the cam-car hadn't been a complete cockend, or is actually an example of reasonable driving that the uploader disagreed with because they're stupid.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Two foot drivers
Stoplight creepers
Left lane campers
Shoulder mergers
Paused texters
Road ragers
Boy racers
Sunday drivers
Excessive lane changers
Illegal u-turners
Timid traffic circlers
Parade marshalls
Eventual letters
And multitaskers.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mooseykins posted:

Winnebago, excuse you!

It was like 300 yards ahead of him.

SHOCK HORROR.

This was my favourite. Dude had aeons to see him and act accordingly and he still acted like he was surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

DEAR RICHARD posted:

gently caress.

The most interesting thing here was the e30 wagon.