Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

TMZ posted:

I developed some film I've been sitting on for a year. Need to shoot more.

Yesyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
My friend recently gave me some questionably stored Kodak Tech Pan from 1983 and the technidol developer. After reading the technical data sheet, I figure I should use a tripod, shoot in the shade, and bracket in order to get 'dem tones.' However, I've never shot old film before and was wondering if I should make any changes in exposure as a result of its age?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'd overexpose a stop per decade of age.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ansel autisms posted:

I'd overexpose a stop per decade of age.

dumb question here but if you want to overexpose an entire roll of 400 ISO by 2 stops, would you just set the camera to 100 ISO and go nuts? Or is there a better way to do it?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Either that or set the exposure compensation dial to "+2" if you have one. Does the same thing.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

dumb question here but if you want to overexpose an entire roll of 400 ISO by 2 stops, would you just set the camera to 100 ISO and go nuts? Or is there a better way to do it?

That's what I'd do.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Not sure what I'm really doing wrong here since I don't know poo poo and I just started developing b&w

- Black and white film; ilford hp5 400
- Rodinal 1:100 (5ml + 500ml water), 1 hour (start, agitation, 30 minutes, agitation, 30 minutes, drain)
- stop rinse, like 3-5 minutes or whatever
- Ilford rapid fixer, mixed according to bottle directions, 5 minutes

Then, formulary hypoclear mixed 1:9 (so in my case, 55ml + 500ml water), soak it for a few minutes, then rinse it off and hang it up to dry

Still getting lots and lots of spots, build up, residue, etc. Everything is just dandy until that point, too.

Where am I going wrong? Should I squeegee the water off after hanging up? Too much hypoclear? Stand developing for bad people?

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 22, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I hope you mean 5ml Rodinal to 500 ml water, because with 50 ml concentrate you're getting 1:10 rather than 1:100.

Your problem with spots is probably hard water drying. You should use a quick wetting agent bath after the rinse, hang the film, then squeegee the diluted wetting agent off.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Use distilled water for your final rinse.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I put some dishwasher rinsing solution for the last rinse, it bubbles like a mofo and I never got any spots.
It should only contain tensio-active agents afaik.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

deaders posted:

Use distilled water for your final rinse.

This.

I've been using the "Ilford Method" for the final rinse. Basically, you fill, shake 5 times, fill, shake 10 times...repeat until you hit 30. The 25 and 30 shake I used distilled water. Never a problem.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I've been playing around with an old Minolta XD-7. It's got metered exposure modes, but seems to be underexposing poo poo. Haven't developed the roll yet, but it's telling me e.g. f/8 when it's at 1/125 indoors on 200 ISO film, when my dSLR is setting aperture to f/2 in the same conditions. Is this because:

a.) Light meter is old and broken?

b.) Exposure compensation dial is old and broken?

c.) The modern batteries are screwing up the metering?

Anyone have a best guess? If it's c.), it should be predictable and I'll roll with it. Otherwise it's off to ebay for a different camera. (I've already got one camera with a nonfunctioning light meter, and I'd rather use it if I'm going to be estimating my exposures by eye.)

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Th batteries it uses are modern enough that it shouldn't pose a problem. That camera uses a center weighted metering system and your DSLR is probably set on one of the full scene evaluative modes. Just a guess but try experimenting with the different exposure modes on your DSLR and make sure you're looking at the exact same object each time

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I've been playing around with an old Minolta XD-7. It's got metered exposure modes, but seems to be underexposing poo poo. Haven't developed the roll yet, but it's telling me e.g. f/8 when it's at 1/125 indoors on 200 ISO film, when my dSLR is setting aperture to f/2 in the same conditions. Is this because:

a.) Light meter is old and broken?

b.) Exposure compensation dial is old and broken?

c.) The modern batteries are screwing up the metering?

Anyone have a best guess? If it's c.), it should be predictable and I'll roll with it. Otherwise it's off to ebay for a different camera. (I've already got one camera with a nonfunctioning light meter, and I'd rather use it if I'm going to be estimating my exposures by eye.)

The XD-7 is actually a fairly nice camera.
I had one, and it's reliable, not needing a battery to operate was a big plus as well. (Edit: Turns out that this was only true for 1/100)

That out of the way:
- What lens are you using on it. The lens type must match the camera MD or MC mounts if I recall correctly. Otherwise the lens won't tell the camera the correct stopped down aperture.

- The light meter itself breaking that way is weird. Since it's a silicon based light meter, it shouldn't lose linearity like the selenium based ones did. I may be wrong here, but never had such a case before. If the voltage is correct they either work or don't.

- That said, a lot of it depends on the circuit and how close the battery is to spec. Anecdote time: I have a Pentax Spotmatic. The meter works fine but ends up underexposing quite a bit without the proper adapter to drive the voltage down to the required level. Furthermore putting the battery upside down, reverses the under/over exposure indication. A very simple circuit. Not even a reverse-polarity protection in there.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
E: NVM

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 30, 2015

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
I've got some old, freezer stored Ektachrome 100, do I need to make any exposure adjustments for old slide film or is it good to go at box speed?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

How old? Has it always been frozen?

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

ansel autisms posted:

How old? Has it always been frozen?

Late nineties and yes.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Anyone else shoot with a Contax G before? The shutter half press to engage the autofocus is extremely touchy in the sense that there's "not touching the shutter button" and "taking a shot" and very little in between. Is this just a Contax G thing, or is my button wonky? It works, but I've been missing focus way more than I'm used to.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

VomitOnLino posted:

The XD-7 is actually a fairly nice camera.
I had one, and it's reliable, not needing a battery to operate was a big plus as well. (Edit: Turns out that this was only true for 1/100)

That out of the way:
- What lens are you using on it. The lens type must match the camera MD or MC mounts if I recall correctly. Otherwise the lens won't tell the camera the correct stopped down aperture.

- The light meter itself breaking that way is weird. Since it's a silicon based light meter, it shouldn't lose linearity like the selenium based ones did. I may be wrong here, but never had such a case before. If the voltage is correct they either work or don't.

The only lens I've got for it is a rokkor-x 45mm f2. I originally bought it for another camera, but I'm thinking it should work fine with the xd-7?

If the meter itself isn't the likely problem here, I wonder if one of the dials or some other mechanical element is to blame. Maybe the exposure adjustment or iso dials are off. It's pretty rusty; not a great eBay purchase.

Next step would be to take it apart and try to clean it up, but that's going on the back burner. In the meantime, I need a well-functioning, relatively compact manual focus camera with a good wide or normal prime. Any recommendations?

I've got an srt-101, with a totally nonfunctioning meter. It's otherwise in good condition. Has anyone here ever tried to repair the silk string that moves the matchstick meter on these? I'm thinking that's probably the issue with this one.

But, realistically, I'm probably just going to get a new camera. Don't want to turn this into the film gear thread, but any suggestions would be appreciated. I've got this rokkor already (and a 2x teleconverter) so I'm leaning toward another Minolta.

How's the x-700? It's supposed to be the last mf slr that the company made, so I figure I would have a better chance of getting one in very good condition on eBay.

But I'm also interested in Olympus om stuff. Weren't a few of them fully mechanical and able to be used without batteries (for everything except metering), but otherwise quite modern? What was their latest, best fully mechanical camera?

I could also go for one of those fixed-lens rangefinder -sort-of things, like the canonet. But I don't think many of those stayed in production past the mid-80s, right? If that is the case, the ones in truly good condition are probably a little more rare and/or expensive than the slr options.

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Helicity posted:

Anyone else shoot with a Contax G before? The shutter half press to engage the autofocus is extremely touchy in the sense that there's "not touching the shutter button" and "taking a shot" and very little in between. Is this just a Contax G thing, or is my button wonky? It works, but I've been missing focus way more than I'm used to.

I just sold my Contax G1 because I was a bit sick of its quirks but that sounds a bit off, there was a bit of play in mine between engaging it's horrid grinding autofocus and taking the shot.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Haught posted:

I just sold my Contax G1 because I was a bit sick of its quirks but that sounds a bit off, there was a bit of play in mine between engaging it's horrid grinding autofocus and taking the shot.

The glass is so amazing, but that body sometimes feels quirkier than a Fuji mirrorless. Did you move up to a G2 or just abandon that line of bodies completely?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Portra 400 looks fabulous with the colors in a big storm:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Helicity posted:

Portra 400 looks fabulous with the colors in a big storm:

Gorgeous. Did you add the vignette in post?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Thoogsby posted:

Gorgeous. Did you add the vignette in post?

No - Contax G1 with the 28mm @ f16. Developed, scanned, uploaded.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
I happened to be outside Atlanta and found out that KEH is located here, so I stopped by to look around.

I walked out with a near mint condition canonet ql17. It's my first rangefinder and I'm already in love.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Claw Massage posted:

I happened to be outside Atlanta and found out that KEH is located here, so I stopped by to look around.

I walked out with a near mint condition canonet ql17. It's my first rangefinder and I'm already in love.

Don't use alkaline batteries in it - get the zinc air hearing aid batteries for better meter accuracy.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Claw Massage posted:

I didn't realize they had a brick and mortar. Neat!

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Claw Massage posted:

I had heard they didn't have a store front, you can just go look around?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Claw Massage posted:

I have an unhealthy obsession with rangefinders.

Canon QL17 G-III (black)
Olympus Pen EE-2
Olympus Trip 35
Minolta Hi-Matic 7s
Yashica Electro 35 G (fixed the pad of death myself :clint:)
And of course my Fuji GW690II

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

Canon QL17 G-III (black)
Olympus Pen EE-2
Olympus Trip 35
Minolta Hi-Matic 7s
Yashica Electro 35 G (fixed the pad of death myself :clint:)
And of course my Fuji GW690II

don't stop.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

BANME.sh posted:

Was thinking about a catch and release on this guy if you're interested. Could make a post....

Olympus SP
by Bud, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Bud posted:

Was thinking about a catch and release on this guy if you're interested. Could make a post....

Olympus SP
by Bud, on Flickr

Oh, that's beautiful. Definitely, assuming it's in good working order.

Don't know if it's okay to discuss price outside of the trading thread, but what were you looking to get for it?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

Don't know if it's okay to discuss price outside of the trading thread, but what were you looking to get for it?

I'll beat you by a dollar.

SLCGoth
Nov 8, 2009

Pukestain Pal posted:

I didn't realize they had a brick and mortar. Neat!

I too did not realize this!

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
It's not an actual retail store. But they have the website set up there for you to browse and the guy said he would bring anything out to me to look at, albeit slowly. I placed an order over the phone and they brought it up front in about 30 minutes. They said they have lots of locals who pick up orders there.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Claw Massage posted:

It's not an actual retail store. But they have the website set up there for you to browse and the guy said he would bring anything out to me to look at, albeit slowly. I placed an order over the phone and they brought it up front in about 30 minutes. They said they have lots of locals who pick up orders there.

I'd love to see their warehouse

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

BANME.sh posted:

Sent you a PM - will get a proper post together for the thread ASAP

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I started to develop my stock of exposed C-41 film today that's been slowly building over the past 6 months.

First batch came out with a very very dark brown base. I've both used and developed this film before, expired Agfa Vista 200. So I'm hesitant to consider its the film's fault. Comparing it to an older batch I developed, the previous stuff is still a tiny bit brown but not dark at all.

I am pretty sure that I got the temperatures and everything correct (this is far from my first time doing C-41 at home), but everything I read online points to this being an expired film issue. Strange because the film has been stored in a freezer since I've owned it and I've had success with it before.

I have a few rolls of Portra 400 220 and I really hope they come out okay.

The images from the bunk negatives are salvageable but really grainy and low contrast. Might convert the scans to b&w.

Days like these I really wonder why I shoot film at all :sigh:

I should just get rid of all my expired stuff actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BANME.sh posted:

I started to develop my stock of exposed C-41 film today that's been slowly building over the past 6 months.

First batch came out with a very very dark brown base. I've both used and developed this film before, expired Agfa Vista 200. So I'm hesitant to consider its the film's fault. Comparing it to an older batch I developed, the previous stuff is still a tiny bit brown but not dark at all.

I am pretty sure that I got the temperatures and everything correct (this is far from my first time doing C-41 at home), but everything I read online points to this being an expired film issue. Strange because the film has been stored in a freezer since I've owned it and I've had success with it before.

I have a few rolls of Portra 400 220 and I really hope they come out okay.

The images from the bunk negatives are salvageable but really grainy and low contrast. Might convert the scans to b&w.

Days like these I really wonder why I shoot film at all :sigh:

I should just get rid of all my expired stuff actually.

I think your blix is toast.