Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Father's Day treat: a few bottles of real ale, a large piece of beef and a mandate to teach my three year old how to make burgers. And it was sunny enough to barbecue!

I am now very full and sleepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

So I joined a CSA and have a small vegetable/ herb garden, and now I have veggies coming out of my ears. I need to do serious meal planning to make sure I use everything before it goes bad (and before I get another ton of food the next week). I have been getting lazy with snacking/ convenience foods lately so I thought it would be fun to do a 30 day cooking challenge where I cook all whole foods and avoid anything processed.

So: no white flour, no sugar, no pasta, no potato chips, no fake meat, nothing with ingredients that aren't whole foods, etc. And lots of whole grains, beans, nuts, fruits, vegetables, oils. I don't know if I could give up hot sauce but maybe I can make my own with no chemical preservatives. I already eat and cook pretty well but I think it would be fun to kick it up a notch for a month and see how my cooking changes/ improves with the challenge.

Anyway, would anyone be interested in seeing a thread about that? Anyone want to try it with me?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Don't get the no flour and no sugar thing?

Other than that - this is basically my life - but will happily read the thread, which sounds like it will be more a 'seasonal' thread rather than a 'whole food' thread (well maybe it can be both :) )

Do you plan to avoid all dried goods? And oil is pretty processed ;)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had some "rich chocolate with sour cherry and rum" gelato this week. It was loving sublime. The flavour went through like five phases with every bite: sweet, chocolate sweet, chocolate bitter, cherry sour, rum.

Do that with your cherries.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Happy Hat posted:

Don't get the no flour and no sugar thing?

Other than that - this is basically my life - but will happily read the thread, which sounds like it will be more a 'seasonal' thread rather than a 'whole food' thread (well maybe it can be both :) )

Do you plan to avoid all dried goods? And oil is pretty processed ;)

White sugar and flour are pretty processed and junky. Whole wheat / oat/ rye/ etc flour are fine. And honey and maple syrup are fine. I mean, regular flour and sugar aren't going to kill you or anything but I definitely overindulge so it'd be good to add them to the challenge. I want to have to come up with interesting desserts made with whole grains and fruits and nuts instead of relying on my standbys.

I think I'd probably also avoid canola oil and stick to Olive/ coconut oil. I haven't thought that one through much.

Dried goods like rice, farro, dried beans, nuts, etc. will all be a major part of things.

Also I'm sure I will buy stuff like pineapple and avocado at some point which is not at all seasonal here in PA.

I'm just trying to come up with some rules that will 1) help me organize my thoughts / meal plans, 2) help me kick my daily soy ice cream and/or beer habit, and most importantly, 3) will force me to cook more and try new things.

I already cook like this probably 75% of the time. It's just that 25% of lazy faux meat sandwiches for lunch and pasta-and-olive-oil dinners that I want to try to get myself away from.

I dunno, maybe it won't make a big difference but I think it'd be fun to see!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Plus_Infinity posted:

White sugar and flour are pretty processed and junky.
I may regret asking, but please define `junky', assuming you're not just using it as a synonym for `processed' (whatever, precisely, that means).

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

SubG posted:

I may regret asking, but please define `junky', assuming you're not just using it as a synonym for `processed' (whatever, precisely, that means).

Please don't take this as any kind of dogma or even well thought out or reasoned arguments.

For me personally, I feel kinda crappy when I eat a ton of white bread and sugar. It seems like they weigh me down, make me feel sluggish, and I just crave more even though I just ate them. I feel like I ate "junk food" compared to how I feel after I eat whole grains and vegetables.

For the sake of a normal, sane life I would never say I won't eat any more white flour or sugar. But for the sake of a 30 day "try stuff and see how you feel and see what new recipes you come up with" challenge, cutting out the stuff that makes me feel and cook lazily seems to make sense.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

This is what I had for brunch today:

Pork chop, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, potatoes, foie, blood pudding, toast, eggs, tomatoes, beans.

It was amazing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Plus_Infinity posted:

Please don't take this as any kind of dogma or even well thought out or reasoned arguments.

For me personally, I feel kinda crappy when I eat a ton of white bread and sugar. It seems like they weigh me down, make me feel sluggish, and I just crave more even though I just ate them. I feel like I ate "junk food" compared to how I feel after I eat whole grains and vegetables.

For the sake of a normal, sane life I would never say I won't eat any more white flour or sugar. But for the sake of a 30 day "try stuff and see how you feel and see what new recipes you come up with" challenge, cutting out the stuff that makes me feel and cook lazily seems to make sense.
Picky eater, got it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I got a "blood and barley" sausage from a farmer's market, which I'm told by a fellow black putting fan is better than the polish kanzaka that I've been eating. I'm about to fry that bitch up with grated hash browns, sunny side eggs in butter, leftover side bacon, beans, and, gently caress it fried sourdough.

Seems a reasonable meal for 10pm on a sunday, right? Should I supply pics, or would that make me awful?

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

SubG posted:

Picky eater, got it.

Nah dude, more like I loooove cookies and bread and pasta and I know that stuff is not the best for me when I eat it a lot but I do it anyway. Not sure why you'd think I'm picky when I say it doesn't make me feel as healthy as vegetables?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Dear livejournal,
This week and especially this weekend has been rough. I managed to keep the worst of my feelings in check but I was really close to storming out in an emotional ball of crap a few times. Thanks everyone on here for being wonderful people. I adore you all. I knew that getting home and venting for a moment would help. Xo

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Plus_Infinity posted:

Nah dude, more like I loooove cookies and bread and pasta and I know that stuff is not the best for me when I eat it a lot but I do it anyway. Not sure why you'd think I'm picky when I say it doesn't make me feel as healthy as vegetables?

I think he, and a lot of people honestly, have contempt for people who would unironically use terms like "whole foods vs processed foods".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cooking is a process.

Washing is a process.

Milling is a process.

Picking is a process.

Growing is a process.

Planting is a ...

You get the idea.

If you're making GBS threads on white flour as "processed" keep in mind that the "process" in question is sifting

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Whole wheat flour is pretty good though, it's got more fiber and other nutrients in it, plus I like the taste sometimes. That said, white flour can do stuff wheat flour simply cannot, but eating more wheat flour isn't a bad thing in itself. They're both mostly carbohydrates though.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Are you guys seriously nitpicking and making GBS threads on someone talking about trying a lifestyle change to see if s/he will feel better? If you have something against the commonly used vernacular of 'whole foods' and 'processed foods' I'm not sure now is the best time to bring out the drums. You know what he means, why be a dick about it?

I don't think he's 'making GBS threads on' white flour or whatever the gently caress is going on here.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rurutia posted:

Are you guys seriously nitpicking and making GBS threads on someone talking about trying a lifestyle change to see if s/he will feel better? If you have something against the commonly used vernacular of 'whole foods' and 'processed foods' I'm not sure now is the best time to bring out the drums. You know what he means, why be a dick about it?

I don't think he's 'making GBS threads on' white flour or whatever the gently caress is going on here.

Your AV suggests that you should be on team flour.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Your AV suggests that you should be on team flour.

I'm not sure why they're mutually exclusive teams. :colbert: My two main forums are YLLS and GWS. It's hard BUT I WILL MAKE IT WORK DAMNIT.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I think the disconnect is the assumption that "processed" (something undefined) = "unhealthy" (something very defined)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Plus_Infinity posted:

Well, you're making a distinction between nutritionally equivalent forms of sugar, for example. And avoiding nebulous but presumably sinister `chemical preservatives'.

I mean it's no skin off my rear end. Eat whatever the hell you want. I don't give a poo poo. I was just asking because you were phrasing all of this in terms that identify the food as the source of the issue (`pretty processed and junky') instead of your personal beliefs/behaviour/religion/whatever.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

Well, you're making a distinction between nutritionally equivalent forms of sugar, for example. And avoiding nebulous but presumably sinister `chemical preservatives'.

I mean it's no skin off my rear end. Eat whatever the hell you want. I don't give a poo poo. I was just asking because you were phrasing all of this in terms that identify the food as the source of the issue (`pretty processed and junky') instead of your personal beliefs/behaviour/religion/whatever.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rurutia posted:

a. no, I don't know what he means

b. this isn't the lifestyle change forum, it's the how to cook well forum. making statements like "I feel healthier" when I eat "less junky processed foods" seems normal. That is to say, it seems normal if by processed you mean Cheetos and stoffers TV dinners. Which, if I knew what he meant by "processed foods", I would say 'yeah, like Cheetos and stoffers TV dinners, clearly I agree with you dude!'. But plainly I have no loving idea what he means by processed foods - which to him apparently includes white flour and sugar - and thus, yes, it probably is the best time to bring out the drums and let this dude know he might be making a mistake in his dietary assumptions?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

a. no, I don't know what he means

b. this isn't the lifestyle change forum, it's the how to cook well forum. making statements like "I feel healthier" when I eat "less junky processed foods" seems normal. That is to say, it seems normal if by processed you mean Cheetos and stoffers TV dinners. Which, if I knew what he meant by "processed foods", I would say 'yeah, like Cheetos and stoffers TV dinners, clearly I agree with you dude!'. But plainly I have no loving idea what he means by processed foods - which to him apparently includes white flour and sugar - and thus, yes, it probably is the best time to bring out the drums and let this dude know he might be making a mistake in his dietary assumptions?

Jesus, you guys are being real
Assholes to someone trying to do something pretty interesting which you'd normally applaud because he didn't define "processed" sufficiently clearly. White sugar is clearly processed: that's why it's often called refined. Instead of making GBS threads on him why don't you 1) provide some helpful suggestions which are germane; and/or 2) help define processed and refined more clearly IN THE CONTEXT IN WHICH IT IS CLEARLY BEING USED.

poo poo like this makes GWS insular and unwelcoming.

And not picking MP out especially, but saying that this isn't lifestyle change thread when we all go on about the importance of food in our lives and proper cooking and how it affects health, wellbeing etc is wholly disingenuous. It's indicative of a superior and contemptuous attitude.

We normally are and can be better than this.

therattle fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 22, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, c'mon guys, use a lighter touch with the newcomers who come asking for help. You can be educational and correct people without being condescending.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, c'mon guys, use a lighter touch with the newcomers who come asking for help. You can be educational and correct people without being condescending.

I (for one) am honestly not trying to be condescending!

I know I fail at that a lot on these internets, but really, I'm just trying to say I agree eating fewer processed foods is on balance healthier, but that refined sugar and white flour aren't inherently ingredients that meet the definition of what I think most people mean by "processed" w/rt "processed food". nor, I'd argue, should they.

therattle posted:

And not picking MP out especially, but saying that this isn't lifestyle change thread when we all go on about the importance of food in our lives and proper cooking and how it affects health, wellbeing etc is wholly disingenuous. It's indicative of a superior and contemptuous attitude.

not to dig myself a hole or to cause any more controversy, because I know you as a poster and think we're by and large on the same page - but I think what I and others have a problem with is the very real notions of health and wellbeing being disingenuified by psuedoscience. cooking and food are huge components of everyday health, but to the extent folks study this poo poo pretty hardcore, and spend a lot of time thinking about it, I don't blame SubG getting a lil tussled over something he feels strongly about. Ain't sayin it's not heavy handed love, but I don't think any of us have any ill will towards the OP, healthy eating, non-processed foods, or any related matters.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 22, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

I (for one) am honestly not trying to be condescending!

I know I fail at that a lot on these internets, but really, I'm just trying to say I agree eating fewer processed foods is on balance healthier, but that refined sugar and white flour aren't inherently ingredients that meet the definition of what I think most people mean by "processed" w/rt "processed food". nor, I'd argue, should they.

You might not be trying but you're succeeding (and it's collective). But that's not the point. The point is a fixation on a couple of words while avoiding help with the larger question, which is a worthy endeavour.

As for refined:
http://www.sugar.org/images/docs/refining-and-processing-sugar.pdf
It's debatable. Haven't done the same for flour.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

fwiw, although I don't agree with the "processed" hate, I never said he shouldn't do the thread. I was merely explaining others' trepidation. Trying to be the "lighter-touch" guy. :shrug:

edit:

tbh, I'm always down for a restricted diet challenge if only strictly for the culinary challenge of confining someone to encourage innovation and stretching of comfort zone.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 22, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
After a week of catering and bar food, the skin off of SubG's rear end is starting to sound appealing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

After a week of catering and bar food, the skin off of SubG's rear end is starting to sound appealing.

Really? It's pretty thin, and prickly.

But not processed. Or refined, for that matter.

therattle fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 22, 2015

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think the thread is a good idea, and I love both white flour and white sugar. Just post it!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

therattle posted:

You might not be trying but you're succeeding (and it's collective). But that's not the point. The point is a fixation on a couple of words while avoiding help with the larger question, which is a worthy endeavour.

As for refined:
http://www.sugar.org/images/docs/refining-and-processing-sugar.pdf
It's debatable. Haven't done the same for flour.
Well no, it's really not debatable. Whole flower is processed just like white flour is. The latter isolates the endosperm while the others maintain a whole bunch of worthless fibers from the other parts of the kernel. Similarly, white sugar is just sucrose which is about as 'processed' as any fruit. The components of glucose and fructose will be found in any diet when carbs (not just white flour) are broken down.

In order to avoid sucrose, you'd have to use primarily HFCS which (SubG can correct me if I'm wrong) would avoid some of the tiredness feelt by preventing an insulin release caused by glucose, but that would ironically have a worse effect on life (liver) and be more "processed" as naturally glucose and fructose, when not already combined into sucrose, exist close to a 1:1 in most fruits, vegetables and even honey.

Similarly you could avoid fructose and only have glucose by using corn syrup. I'm not certain what the ramifications would be of that, my guess is diabetes.

That said, if there is a thread after all this jazz, it should be focused on avoiding flour made with wheat, barley, and rye and not just white as they are full of short chain carbs. Lowering sugar ingestion is good for basically anyone and it could be a great thread.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 22, 2015

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Lesson: just post a thread - don't propose it in the curmudgeonly troll thread first.

Scientastic posted:

Just post it!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Don't you people have a government health department always going on about "Low GI" and "High GI" foods?
They promote low GI foods here a lot, to prevent diabetes, to aid weight loss etc so I knew exactly what plus_infinity was saying.

High GI foods are turned into sugar more easily, make you feel hungry sooner - just like sugary or junk food often does. High GI foods are white flour, sugar, potatoes, white rice.
Low GI foods make you feel fuller longer. Low GI foods are whole grains, beans, most vegetables.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That type of labeling only exists for trans-fat iirc.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
It's not labelling, it's just information out there for people that want to listen/read it.
I know it's not just Australia though, because I remember someone in the UK doing experiments on rice and pasta and stating that cooled and then reheated dishes have a lower GI rating than the fresh hot dish did, so it must be a thing in the UK also at least too.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29629761

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 22, 2015

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I think the thread is a good idea, and I love both white flour and white sugar. Just post it!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I think the idea of 'healthier living through healthier cooking' is a sound one and should be encouraged with fervor. I also think that everything is processed, unless it's still mooing while you hold your cereal bowl under it.

I also know that processed food is pretty poor usually, but I always connected that to hungry man dinner things primarily.

Just post the drat thing, so we can see you on a journey towards eating something that you prepared yourself.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Ha! I should have known you guys would pick it apart.

First- I cook for myself 99% of the time and already eat pretty healthy. I like and eat everything except for meat/ animal products (backyard eggs excluded) for religious/ ethical reasons (I'm a Buddhist, born and raised). I work from home and so I make lunches every day and I eat at restaurants for dinner maybe once every 2 weeks. SO that said, if I want to challenge myself, I have to push things a little further than maybe the average goon would.

This idea is partly health related I guess but honestly it's mostly a cooking challenge. If I can't fall back on bread for lunch for every day, that would force me to try new things, right?

I dunno, I have to draw the line on my challenge somewhere and if I can still bake (which I do all the time) and make pasta and cookies I think it wouldn't be significantly different from how I eat now so then there would be no challenge at all. It'd just be a "stuff plus_infinity eats" thread. Which maybe would be funny. Also, my stupid oven broke so right now I can only cook on the stovetop anyway.

Also I'm a woman if that changes your perception on how "healthy eating" is marketed to us or whatever.

I'll think about it more and see how much I feel like getting ribbed more :)

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Sorry for rageposting while wrestling with my dissertation at 2am in the morning.

fwiw Grav, I wasn't referring to you. I noticed your touch of restraint. ;D

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Plus_Infinity posted:

Ha! I should have known you guys would pick it apart.

First- I cook for myself 99% of the time and already eat pretty healthy. I like and eat everything except for meat/ animal products (backyard eggs excluded) for religious/ ethical reasons (I'm a Buddhist, born and raised). I work from home and so I make lunches every day and I eat at restaurants for dinner maybe once every 2 weeks. SO that said, if I want to challenge myself, I have to push things a little further than maybe the average goon would.

This idea is partly health related I guess but honestly it's mostly a cooking challenge. If I can't fall back on bread for lunch for every day, that would force me to try new things, right?

I dunno, I have to draw the line on my challenge somewhere and if I can still bake (which I do all the time) and make pasta and cookies I think it wouldn't be significantly different from how I eat now so then there would be no challenge at all. It'd just be a "stuff plus_infinity eats" thread. Which maybe would be funny. Also, my stupid oven broke so right now I can only cook on the stovetop anyway.

Also I'm a woman if that changes your perception on how "healthy eating" is marketed to us or whatever.

I'll think about it more and see how much I feel like getting ribbed more :)

I say go for it, just choose either broader, or more specific terms. If you go with something like Something Not So Offal: Organic Cooking Thread, then the processed versus unprocessed or carbs versus fat or whatever else can become part of the discussion. If you go with something more specific like the GWS Low Carb Barbeque, you can then control the discussion by excluding things.