Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah I thought I imported a save where I had the Blue Stripes tattoo and Letho alive. When I realized I didnt have the tattoo I said "eh gently caress it I'll keep going" and later found out there was no Letho and was really sad. When I eventually start a new game I will do the questionaire section in Vizima so I can make sure Letho is alive and whatever else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

So, I'm on my second run through of the game and doing the opposite choices for most decisions (except Geralt would always choose Yen and also I can't let Radovid live or Roche die, that would be too depressing), and I've just done King's Gambit with Hjalmar. It's ok but you miss the place of power so that question mark on the map will forever taunt me and also there are no bear puns to be heard :argh:
Cerys for Queen in canon runs!

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

NESguerilla posted:

Is there ever anything cool in the water? Like maybe a proper sea monster or whale or something? The oceans are so bland.

I just ran into the whale graveyard and I just want there to be live ones.

There's a rad ghost ship you see sometimes sailing around Skellige. It rises up above the waves and dives back under. Don't think there is any interaction, it's just cool.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I lose horse races all the time because the fucker sees a tree or some poo poo is this everyone's experience??

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Just finished the game and must have played around 50 hours on PS4 (can't say for sure b/c the game counter is hosed) and have to say that this is the new standard for open world games.

On the plus side, it's absolutely gorgeous, the sidequests are varied and very entertaining, the characters are fantastic, the environments are nicely varied, the world is nicely fleshed out and the base story is very compelling. The relationship between Geralt and Ciri was great as was the relationship with Geralt and Yen providing you choose her for the romance, I'm assuming. I liked the combat and enjoyed mixing things up between the sword, the signs and potions/bombs.

Once the main story wrapped up, I felt like I did when finishing a great book or book series - sad that the story was over and I wouldn't get to read more about the characters I'd spent so much time with. The world feels really empty in the post-game even though I still have a ton of ?'s to follow up on. Looking forward to the expansion packs to continue the story. My ending was Ciri becomes a witcher, Geralt & Yen relax together - which made me feel good - but Radovid took over the North which bummed me out. I missed that the quest to assassinate him disappeared at one point and didn't reload an earlier save to take care of it. Mostly happy with the ending save that one point. The Bloody Baron and Battle of Kaer Morhan quests were easily the most memorable parts of the game.

On the negative side - what the gently caress was with that inventory system? Pretty awful in general but including oils/potions/bombs in the same tab with the hundred documents you accumulate was nonsensical. They do seem to address it by having the oils at the top of that tab but potions and bombs should have followed right after instead of all of the documents. Also, why could you not apply oil during combat? I felt like I did not use the oils/potions/bombs as much as I should have because it was just a slog to make it work. I was also insanely overlevelled after the first 10ish hours and did not have much trouble with the combat after that, despite bumping up to the next difficulty level. It also has the least enjoyable horseback riding I've encountered.

I thought that the final act felt rushed and I really started to get confused about why certain characters were doing certain things. Wait, why is the Wild Hunt doing this? Why would they even bother appearing when the sunstone was used? Why would they be on their big boat? Why did Eredin tell Geralt that Avalacc'h was lying to him considering he had no real motivation to say that seconds away from dying? Why would Ciri decide that RIGHT NOW was the time to face the Frost? Etc. It just felt like too much happening that didn't always make much sense.

But I can easily forgive any faults of the game for how successful it was at everything I enjoyed. I spent a lot of time on and mostly enjoyed Dragon Age: Inquisition earlier this year and in comparing the two, it's crazy how much better TW3 is on all accounts. It's a benchmark game that won't be topped for quite a while.

vvvvv
I'm not sure if it's standard for PS4 or just a glitch I experienced but every time I tried to apply an oil in combat I got a message saying that I could not do that during combat.

el oso fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 22, 2015

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
You can use oils in combat - just drag the oil onto your weapon.

You can use any of your alchemy items in combat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's a glitch; it's not supposed to work like that. You can't do it at all on console (use oils in combat, I mean - not the other alchemy items).

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
I only used oils during Witcher Contracts because those fights are easy to plan for and oils have the perfect number of charges for them. Constantly reapplying oils during a regular mission is a pain in the rear end.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I like to use context clues and try to guess the monster and use an oil for that. It's a nice reward if you think well enough.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

el oso posted:

I thought that the final act felt rushed and I really started to get confused about why certain characters were doing certain things. Wait, why is the Wild Hunt doing this? Why would they even bother appearing when the sunstone was used? Why would they be on their big boat? Why did Eredin tell Geralt that Avalacc'h was lying to him considering he had no real motivation to say that seconds away from dying? Why would Ciri decide that RIGHT NOW was the time to face the Frost? Etc. It just felt like too much happening that didn't always make much sense.

I finished today too, and while I certainly agree that this is the new standard for open world games, I share your feelings about the late game. The game should have ended after The Battle of Kaer Morhen. That was such a great dramatic moment. It all should have been written to wrap up there. The hours of the game following it are tedious. Though the Ciri becomes a Witcher ending was cool.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume I can't start the search for Wolf gear until the plot sends me to Kaer Morhan?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Nasgate posted:

I like to use context clues and try to guess the monster and use an oil for that. It's a nice reward if you think well enough.

This only works maybe 5% of the time, unless you know claw marks, bite marks, broken bones = Leshen (you don't.)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm loving this game but goddamn does it need a robust inventory ui revamp. Let us sort by price, weight, amount and name (even Witcher 2 had this). Divide the grid into rows of subcategories that you can hide. At this moment it really looks like they thought "one big gently caress-off grid worked for Diablo so it will work here" but Diablo didn't have a fraction of these item. poo poo, Skyrim had a better inventory system (and it was bad) and I'm sure it had fewer item types (especially crafting).

Also let us buy crafting components from the crafting window if the merchant has them. Add a little button next to the missing ones when the guy has them in store and bam, a lot of tedium in the game gone.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Palpek posted:

I'm loving this game but goddamn does it need a robust inventory ui revamp. Let us sort by price, weight, amount and name (even Witcher 2 had this). Divide the grid into rows of subcategories that you can hide. At this moment it really looks like they thought "one big gently caress-off grid worked for Diablo so it will work here" but Diablo didn't have a fraction of these item. poo poo, Skyrim had a better inventory system (and it was bad) and I'm sure it had fewer item types (especially crafting).

Also let us buy crafting components from the crafting window if the merchant has them. Add a little button next to the missing ones when the guy has them in store and bam, a lot of tedium in the game gone.

My thoughts too. I hope that even if CDP doesn't fix inventory modders will. Yesterday I did last available witcher contract, I've probably had an internet outage because there's still unclaimed achievments for vampire hunt. I might have hosed something up with regards to wolven armour - I cannot craft 3rd tier steel sword, but have 4th. Quest is finished. I hope it's only a case of a map or a book I've missed.

I also don't want to start the last preparation quest with Yennefer, I dick around in Skellige checking all land "?" because I'm one of those people that waits a bit before the next playthrough, and I don't want to leave the game.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Sauer posted:

Skellgians sure know how to throw a party. When you celebrate with Scottish Vikings you bearly get out alive.
they're (Northern) Irish, not Scottish ughhhh

:goonsay:

sorry i just can't bear it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RetroHelix posted:

I finished today too, and while I certainly agree that this is the new standard for open world games, I share your feelings about the late game. The game should have ended after The Battle of Kaer Morhen. That was such a great dramatic moment. It all should have been written to wrap up there. The hours of the game following it are tedious. Though the Ciri becomes a Witcher ending was cool.

So you want to cut out 25% of the main quest what a jerkiot.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

So you want to cut out 25% of the main quest what a jerkiot.

Eh, I pretty much agree. The post Kaer Morhen main quest blows. It's also way less than 25%.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Did the Carnal Sins quest last night. I'm amazed how after 80+ hours the game can still grab me by the lapels with its writing and quest design. "CSI: Novigrad" was never more apt. Although I guess Criminal Minds: Novigrad might be a better fit. I was mortified when I climbed the steps of the Vegelbud mansion and once I saw the body I was worried the note would have the name of a friend.

I also chalked up the guy who was a professor in medical school looking younger than his former student as some game design jankiness until I got a dialogue option for it and realized it was all on purpose. Too bad Geralt couldn't pick up on the vampire angle like I did at the time. I wonder if you can just stick a sword in him and complete the quest immediately.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 22, 2015

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I could see fast ending post Kaer Morhen, with you following the assailants, with possible grimdarkest ending of everything going to poo poo. I still prefer more story, there are people to be shanked, for example that one rear end in a top hat that really truly deserves shanking..

I'd also love non-Witcher PC adventure where you join Blue Stripes shortly past W2 and hang out with Roche and Ves. You could have Bioware RPG, just pick your gender, skin color and look, and romance away from the cast of known and new characters.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

Eh, I pretty much agree. The post Kaer Morhen main quest blows. It's also way less than 25%.

So you want to cut out the whole trip to Tir na Lia, killing Radovid, the Sabbath, and the battle with the Naglfar? And you want to cut it because the short, linear, scripted battle at Kaer Morhen was like the end-all-and-be-all of the main quest for some reason?

I think you guys aren't really responding to the battle at Kaer Morhen or the quest design but to the narrowing of the plot and the slight rushing of the Skellige third act.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There's a lot of cool stuff to do in act three, but the resolution to the plot (and even some subplots) blows. I don't think they quite knew what to do with Avellac'h or Ciri at the end.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

My next playthrough will be a 'not getting involved' run only doing what I'm really forced to. I wonder what kind of ending this gives.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Largely the same one because Nilgaard leaves no matter what and the Ciri interactions determines her fate, which doesn't count as not getting involved because she is literally your entire character motivation and the focus of the plot

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
My physics system stopped working. Enemies would freeze in the last frame of their death animations, and wouldn't turn to ragdoll corpses. Additionally, any time I tried to throw a bomb it would explode in my hand.

Makes for some funny screenshots though. Gatecrashed a Skellige limbo party.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Palpek posted:

My next playthrough will be a 'not getting involved' run only doing what I'm really forced to. I wonder what kind of ending this gives.

Next time I play, I'm going to try only making money by finding it or doin witcher conracts. See what being a poor witcher is actually like.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's a glitch; it's not supposed to work like that. You can't do it at all on console (use oils in combat, I mean - not the other alchemy items).

I play on PC but with a 360 controller and it does not allow me to use oils in combat, maybe its the keyboard vs controller ui being inconsistent?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Now that I've beaten the game, any secondary quests I might easily have missed out there, particularly in Skellige? I'm a bit weary of just finding more treasure spots and spoils of war underwater at all the ? marks.

Also where are you supposed to find mention of the potion you imbibed back in Witcher 2? The save must not have imported correctly or I missed out on it during the last game, because I've not seen the note people were talking about anywhere

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

evilmiera posted:

Now that I've beaten the game, any secondary quests I might easily have missed out there, particularly in Skellige? I'm a bit weary of just finding more treasure spots and spoils of war underwater at all the ? marks.

Also where are you supposed to find mention of the potion you imbibed back in Witcher 2? The save must not have imported correctly or I missed out on it during the last game, because I've not seen the note people were talking about anywhere

90% of the underwater marks are smugglers caches. They are only worth getting if you want to see how high you can get your money counter or are missing some alchemy formulae.

EDIT: For those who think the boat is slow, are you aware you can "gallop" with it? Double tap A to go ludicrous speed. I dont think there is a faster mode of transportation in the game aside from fast travel.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

I play on PC but with a 360 controller and it does not allow me to use oils in combat, maybe its the keyboard vs controller ui being inconsistent?
Yeah, It's when you use the mouse to drag and drop the oil onto the sword.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm playing this and it looks amazing, the best video game I've ever seen.. on a new rig with a 980GTX it's really breathtaking when you first see it.

I'm finding the story is just trite crap though. Much of the language has the heavy-handed feel of amateur fan fiction. Cut scene after cut scene crapping on about nothing, the whole way the start just randomly drops you in with 'so you wake up and wanna find your girl but she's not there so you go find her'.. it's so mindless.

Very much like a modern Hollywood blockbuster, so far, amazing visual effects but getting increasingly bored with the lack of anything remotely intellectually stimulating.

Are other people finding the same? At least the Elder Scrolls isn't as on rails as much and with so many drat cut scenes, it feels a lot more open world than this. Fallout, etc.. the same.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Has there been any new zones confirmed for dlc? I'm contemplating selling the game towards batman this week if its not going to get substantially expanded later this year.

Also gently caress the journal for burying the kill radovid quest under my pile of boxing and gwent quests so i missed out on it prior to the end. Its like the only big late game quest that is tagged as a side mission. Oh well.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
How have you missed the already announced expansions for another 30 hours of gameplay you can pre-order right now?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tony Montana posted:

So I'm playing this and it looks amazing, the best video game I've ever seen.. on a new rig with a 980GTX it's really breathtaking when you first see it.

I'm finding the story is just trite crap though. Much of the language has the heavy-handed feel of amateur fan fiction. Cut scene after cut scene crapping on about nothing, the whole way the start just randomly drops you in with 'so you wake up and wanna find your girl but she's not there so you go find her'.. it's so mindless.

Very much like a modern Hollywood blockbuster, so far, amazing visual effects but getting increasingly bored with the lack of anything remotely intellectually stimulating.

Are other people finding the same? At least the Elder Scrolls isn't as on rails as much and with so many drat cut scenes, it feels a lot more open world than this. Fallout, etc.. the same.

What games do you actually find intellectually stimulating? I found Witcher 3 very interesting and meaty, and spent a hundred hours off the beaten path. If you're still in White Orchard, that is the smallest zone in the game by a factor of ten, so bear that in mind. You're in the tutorial zone, basically.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

This is far more intellectually stimulating than Skyrim or Dragon Age. If you're not seeing this, you're looking at a pile of bricks and seeing a wall rather than seeing a pile of bricks.

The plot makes no/little sense initially if you haven't read the books/excessively wiki'd everything and/or played the games, but more and more of the "reasons" are rendered over the top later.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, Fallout 3 was good. I probably found Oblivion better than Skyrim, just because the main quest of Skyrim was a bit dumb despite all the dragon awesome stuff.. but Oblivion the final battle and turning the dragon into a massive stone statue was great.

It's just the 'screenplay' of Witcher 3 that doesn't really grab me. Ok I found my girl, oh she's being all weird and we are going off to meet some other guy? Probably for some fetch kinda quest. Yep sure, this guy wants me to find someone/thing. Ok.. lets go meet that Bloody Baron.. oh. He wants me to fetch too..

Elder Scrolls had me being an assassin for a secret guild of assassins, or a mage for the guild of mages with real magic (as in fireballs and blasts of ice, etc) and a ton of other fleshed out real options that were all my choice. I start as a useless peasant and by the end I'm a semi-god with my own house riding around finding caves (Morrowind actually did this better than even Oblivion) and generally doing what 'open world rpg' means to me.

In this, I'm a Witcher. I start as one and I'll guess I'll end as one. I do the scripted story missions and use my Witcher sense to uncover the 'piece of the puzzle' (there is no puzzle, you'll just highlight things to go up and press a button on a trigger the next cut scene).

I liked the VATS system in Fallout and turn based combat in general, so combat is more interesting and varied rather than doing the same thing again and again or variations of it. If I am doing the same thing repeatedly with turn based combat then at least I'm just telling the game to do it rather than building muscle memory or something.

I dunno, I'm just bored with it. It doesn't give me the thrill of exploration or endless possibility other games I've mentioned have in the past. I know Games and these kind of threads can turn into echo chambers with everyone saying the same thing (often how amazing the game is) but I wanted to add a differing opinion.

Schlesische posted:

This is far more intellectually stimulating than Skyrim or Dragon Age. If you're not seeing this, you're looking at a pile of bricks and seeing a wall rather than seeing a pile of bricks.

The plot makes no/little sense initially if you haven't read the books/excessively wiki'd everything and/or played the games, but more and more of the "reasons" are rendered over the top later.

No, it doesn't make sense and it's frustrating. As I said, it looks amazing and I've got a new rig so I'll keep going and perhaps it will reveal itself as the amazing flower of modern open RPG that some of the people here think it is.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 22, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As someone who thinks the story in the Elder Scrolls games, Skyrim especially, is an extremely safe poorly written snorefest, I disagree.

Regardless of that, though, the games have very different purposes. In Elder Scrolls games, you're supposed to be you. In The Witcher, you're supposed to be Geralt. If you don't like being Geralt then vicariously there's really nothing that can make you like the game.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Tony Montana posted:

Well, Fallout 3 was good. I probably found Oblivion better than Skyrim, just because the main quest of Skyrim was a bit dumb despite all the dragon awesome stuff.. but Oblivion the final battle and turning the dragon into a massive stone statue was great.

It's just the 'screenplay' of Witcher 3 that doesn't really grab me. Ok I found my girl, oh she's being all weird and we are going off to meet some other guy? Probably for some fetch kinda quest. Yep sure, this guy wants me to find someone/thing. Ok.. lets go meet that Bloody Baron.. oh. He wants me to fetch too..

Elder Scrolls had me being an assassin for a secret guild of assassins, or a mage for the guild of mages with real magic (as in fireballs and blasts of ice, etc) and a ton of other fleshed out real options that were all my choice. I start as a useless peasant and by the end I'm a semi-god with my own house riding around finding caves (Morrowind actually did this better than even Oblivion) and generally doing what 'open world rpg' means to me.

In this, I'm a Witcher. I start as one and I'll guess I'll end as one. I do the scripted story missions and use my Witcher sense to uncover the 'piece of the puzzle' (there is no puzzle, you'll just highlight things to go up and press a button on a trigger the next cut scene).

I liked the VATS system in Fallout and turn based combat in general, so combat is more interesting and varied rather than doing the same thing again and again or variations of it. If I am doing the same thing repeatedly with turn based combat then at least I'm just telling the game to do it rather than building muscle memory or something.

I dunno, I'm just bored with it. It doesn't give me the thrill of exploration or endless possibility other games I've mentioned have in the past. I know Games and these kind of threads can turn into echo chambers with everyone saying the same thing (often how amazing the game is) but I wanted to add a differing opinion.

No, it doesn't make sense and it's frustrating. As I said, it looks amazing and I've got a new rig so I'll keep going and perhaps it will reveal itself as the amazing flower of modern open RPG that some of the people here think it is.

Sorry you don't like this game, personally I think Oblivion/Skyrim don't hold a candle to this game plot-wise. Morrowind will always have a special place in my heart though.

Also I think it's pretty silly to call the Baron stuff a fetch quest.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hey it's cool to have your opinion and it be different than others but it would be easier to take it seriously if your criticisms were a little more than "I can't be bothered to engage with the game".

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don't mind being Geralt, I'm just still waiting for some real choices to make. Perhaps they'll come yet, I'm only up to the Baron. Clicking through the cut scenes so far isn't what I think of when I think 'open world'.

I've only seen that much of the plot, which has been a completely safe snore-fest so far.. but I guess I've only seen the start and it's going to get AMAZING real soon!

edit: ooh here we go. I'm just saying I haven't found this amazing plot amazing at all so far, infact it makes no sense and is kinda juvenile. But we'll see..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tony Montana posted:

It sounds like you are not a fan of the game, and are taking a really reductionist route to interpreting the quests and stuff, and that's cool, not everyone has to like it. The quests are definitely more on rails then in skyrim or fallout and your options to deal with them are more limited. Describing the bloody baron storyline as a fetch quest is really taking a surface level approach though.

The witcher senses are indeed highlighting stuff and pressing x, but you can be reductionist like that with nearly any game if you want to. What those scenes do for me is:

A - make me feel like fantasy medieval batman
B - flesh out the story even more then the initial notice and conversation, and give context to killing this monster.