Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
After New Vegas I have a visceral gut reaction to Liam O'Brien's stupid loving voice in anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeaahhhh I'm pretty sure the creepiest part of that loverslab image was the fact that apparently if you could only just play as the baby just a few years later on all of the sex mods would work out just fine

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

drkeiscool posted:

Part 4 of Shamus's critique is up.

Goddamn, this is incredible. Is Bethesda taking notes on this or something??

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What I did that you may want to try is add Vurt's Flora Overhaul as suggested, and then install a whole bunch of winter texture packs and Nevada Skies: Winter Edition. Running through the frozen DC ruins is incredibly thematic, and really suites the setting.

Do you get Fo3 winter textures or New Vegas winter textures for that to work?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

drkeiscool posted:

Dude should really find something better to do with his life.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

He decides immediately that there is no reason the enclave would ever want control of the former american capital which is very silly.

Autumn wants to establish the united states and cleaning up the historical seat of government power by force is a pretty good place to start from.

It's not a critical discussion of the flaws of fallout 3s writing, it's a dude asserting his own view that its a bad game by saying its bad in a lot of words but without any substance.

EDEN's dealie is pretty simple too, even though hes become more learned from the archives of the enclave he's still just a computer programmed to execute his original will, which is reestablishing the government for humans by humans, and he sees the mutated wastelanders as less than that. He plans to poison the purifier because Autumn is willing to compromise and wants to unite the wastelanders under his army, and by poisoning the purifier you are sabotaging that plan, since nobody will trust him anymore.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 22, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Sharkopath posted:

He decides immediately that there is no reason the enclave would ever want control of the former american capital which is very silly.

Autumn wants to establish the united states and cleaning up the historical seat of government power by force is a pretty good place to start from.

I always did wonder why the Enclave didn't just use the Orbital Missiles thingie from that Broken Steel DLC on the Citadel from the start, like the player can at the end of the final mission. Now it seems extremely obvious :downs:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

He gets paid by the Escapist for writing this stuff, so why should he?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

frajaq posted:

I always did wonder why the Enclave didn't just use the Orbital Missiles thingie from that Broken Steel DLC on the Citadel from the start, like the player can at the end of the final mission. Now it seems extremely obvious :downs:

That one has an answer explained in game also, it's as simple as the ammo on the satellite is extremely limited, after taking out Liberty Prime. They probably just assumed with him out of the way they could clear the pentagon just fine and save that payload for a harder target elsewhere in the future.

It's not a super elaborate story or even super interesting story, the stuff with your dad is so quick and minor that it doesn't elect any reaction at all from me, but when people like to take the game apart they often show like no imagination at all, which is weird for an rpg.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mordaedil posted:

He gets paid by the Escapist for writing this stuff, so why should he?

I didn't know that.

Somehow it makes everything he's written even more depressing.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

drkeiscool posted:

Holy poo poo this guy is even dumber than me. How the gently caress is that even possible?

Edit: Why the gently caress is the Enclave trying to take over D.C.? Let's find out.

quote:

The Enclave is a secretive political, scientific, and militaristic organization that is descended directly from members of the pre-War United States government, and claims to be the legally-sanctioned continuation of the government, while also styling themselves and their overall demeanor as such.

This poo poo is explained in the game and the dumb gently caress is too loving stupid to know it. Holy poo poo, merry Christmas.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 22, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Mind that the Enclave was established as such in Fallout 2 and were then wiped out. I don't really think borrowing the old motivations works when putting it into a completely different context, but maybe that's just me.

I thought it was dumb, but I knew Bethesda had to have them, along with Brotherhood of Steel, Pipboy, Vault boy, vault suits, power armor, super mutants, ghouls and nuka-cola, because if they didn't have all these elements borrowed directly, it'd be like, what did we pay several million of dollars for exactly?

At the same time, I also think they spent a long time making these resources from a 2D to a 3D environment, so being a bit sloppy was excusable as long as it served as a spring-board from where you leap forward from. And we got New Vegas, so yay for us. And now for this new installment, they have some baseline ideas already done, but clearly they've spent a lot of time and resources to redo a lot of things for Fallout 4. I think we can already see the changes there in the the new Vault suit, which is very stylistically different from Fallout 3's.

I just hope we see enough old returning to make Fallout 3 not a complete waste.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

Mind that the Enclave was established as such in Fallout 2 and were then wiped out. I don't really think borrowing the old motivations works when putting it into a completely different context, but maybe that's just me.

I thought it was dumb, but I knew Bethesda had to have them, along with Brotherhood of Steel, Pipboy, Vault boy, vault suits, power armor, super mutants, ghouls and nuka-cola, because if they didn't have all these elements borrowed directly, it'd be like, what did we pay several million of dollars for exactly?

At the same time, I also think they spent a long time making these resources from a 2D to a 3D environment, so being a bit sloppy was excusable as long as it served as a spring-board from where you leap forward from. And we got New Vegas, so yay for us. And now for this new installment, they have some baseline ideas already done, but clearly they've spent a lot of time and resources to redo a lot of things for Fallout 4. I think we can already see the changes there in the the new Vault suit, which is very stylistically different from Fallout 3's.

I just hope we see enough old returning to make Fallout 3 not a complete waste.

I took Fallout 3 as a silent reboot meant to explain the basics of the Fallout world (caps as money, power armor, Super Mutants, ghouls) to an all-new generation of people that never played a Fallout game before and wasn't going to pick up the old games. On that front, it did a great job.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

According to them, the Enclave survived getting wiped out once already, what's a 2nd time going to so but set them back very slightly?

It's tough to actually wipe out stupid at the level that they practice, especially when they've had an iron grip on air travel since the smoke cleared. They're going to be in every city we visit because they got there years ago and I'm sure they didn't have to spend much time finding enough recruits who want to kill all the muties

I'm ready for a game where I'm dropping BoS nerds though, and you just KNOW they're going to be all over The Institute

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Yaos posted:

Weapon mods are not the only thing that require certain ranks.

Maybe you don't realize who you're talking to. I'm the HOA president for Trash Mountain, so I think you can spare some RadAway.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Oh making settlements costs bottlecaps? Now I'll have more caps than the total polygons of the overworld by lategame instead of only mid.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

It bears repeating:

The Enclave was stupid in FO2 and Bethesda recreated that part faithfully.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to miss people crying out about Todd "Shitler" Howard, as loving annoying as that got too.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Flaky posted:

Moira was loving great I don't see the problem

Moira looked and sounded a bit like Sarah Palin. That was kinda weird.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Moira was pretty perfectly irritating, in my why-the-gently caress-not-let's-blow-up-Megaton playthrough I was quite horrified to find that she had survived, but at the same time it was amusing for that reason.
Also I've never recruited Jericho, it's weird that the game's evil companion is inaccessible to players who take all the evil options in the game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Bholder posted:

It bears repeating:

The Enclave was stupid in FO2 and Bethesda recreated that part faithfully.

Yeah, but now you can charm the poo poo out Boston and the Enclave by presenting yourself as a self-made CEO and Job Provider of the wastes that literally is a living remnant of the America they want to bring back. It's time to think about progress, about bringing back the good ol' USA. It's time for President Android Dad.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Crabtree posted:

Yeah, but now you can charm the poo poo out Boston and the Enclave by presenting yourself as a self-made CEO and Job Provider of the wastes that literally is a living remnant of the America they want to bring back. It's time to think about progress, about bringing back the good ol' USA. It's time for President Android Dad.

Dadbod? Dadbot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

sout posted:

Moira was pretty perfectly irritating, in my why-the-gently caress-not-let's-blow-up-Megaton playthrough I was quite horrified to find that she had survived, but at the same time it was amusing for that reason.
Also I've never recruited Jericho, it's weird that the game's evil companion is inaccessible to players who take all the evil options in the game.

I hope one of the personality types for the main character ends up being insanely positive and irresponsible scientist.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I hope one of the personality types for the main character ends up being insanely positive and irresponsible scientist.

It's a Bethesda game, and you get to run your own settlement.

I don't see how they have to add it for it to be possible.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

The only real complaint about that whole thing I've been personally exposed to was my friend, who is a lesbian, was disappointed the female character's sexuality is defined by the game rather than left up to the player. But it wasn't utter outrage, it was just "eh, I don't like that but whatever." Seemed reasonable to me, unlike that picture.

Well, potentially you can still be gay/lesbian after the opening. Just not a "gold star" gay/lesbian. The nuclear war will purge you of your heterosexuality!

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

nuzak posted:

Well, potentially you can still be gay/lesbian after the opening. Just not a "gold star" gay/lesbian. The nuclear war will purge you of your heterosexuality!

I wanna suck and gently caress on dudes exclusively

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
This is next gen, there needs to be less binary sexual preference choices, and more Bi-nary choices:heysexy:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I tried reading War and Peace once, but the characters didn't spend all their time ruminating about sexuality, so I threw it into trash after two chapters.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

nuzak posted:

The bombs caused an unexpected evolutionary change within your pants. For two hundred years, it was allowed to mutate and adapt until you were finally unleashed as the most powerful force on this radioactive earth; Love Machine.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
By the time Fallout 5 comes out it will be considered the pinnacle of bigotry to release a game that doesn't cater to every imaginable fetish and combination thereof.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

closeted republican posted:

I took Fallout 3 as a silent reboot meant to explain the basics of the Fallout world (caps as money, power armor, Super Mutants, ghouls) to an all-new generation of people that never played a Fallout game before and wasn't going to pick up the old games. On that front, it did a great job.

Why would they need to "explain" stuff from the old games?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Why would they need to "explain" stuff from the old games?

Having never played fallout 1 or 2 I appreciated it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

K8.0 posted:

By the time Fallout 5 comes out it will be considered the pinnacle of bigotry to release a game that doesn't cater to every imaginable fetish and combination thereof.

What do you expect to happen when aping poo poo from nexus is now their go-to feature farm?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

K8.0 posted:

So Bioware games will be the only games available?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

OwlFancier posted:

Having never played fallout 1 or 2 I appreciated it.

Why? If you went on to play the original games all that stuff is explained anyway, and if you didn't go on to play the original games then it's pointless to have all this stuff that was in them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

2house2fly posted:

Why? If you went on to play the original games all that stuff is explained anyway, and if you didn't go on to play the original games then it's pointless to have all this stuff that was in them.

Or if you went on to play New Vegas where it's also explained. I'd say that Fallout 3 wasn't necessary to explain what Fallout is, but it was necessary to bring an old game series into the modern age so we could have a really good installment in the series. Also it's not "pointless" to have caps and ghouls and supermutants and all that because that's part of the series. You can introduce new things but there's no reason to go "okay this stuff just doesn't exist in the universe anymore, for no reason, let's just take it out and make up stuff whole-cloth".

But they could've handled it all better than just having your character be really sheltered so that they're conveniently clueless about everything outside the vault. That's part of what made going from New Vegas to Fallout 3 so hard, because a bunch of the dialogue and encounters were based around the assumption that I had no idea what anything was. "A ghoul? What's that?!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Honestly, when I started with Fallout 3, I was kind of confused - was it an alternate history in which the bombs went off in the 50s? Did all the robots get build after that? I had to sort of look up the way the world functioned on the internet, and I think knowing the basic concept ahead of time is helpful to understand the setting.

It really doesn't make sense that the technology optimistic 50s aesthetic was around for over 100 years, but who cares?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah? Well get ready to relive that again as the 111 Dad/Mom is going to be completely clueless as to why they're suddenly rip van winkle. At least this time the player's going to look at ruins and either remember what they were or know what to do with the scraps instead of just look for ammo, weapons or the occasional mutant to shoot.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
While I understand that not everybody can play every game ever, I hope they don't treat us like we're stupid and don't know what Fallout is. It's not hard to design around a game where it introduces concepts without having a character spout dialogue about it when you ask "WHAT IS THING?". By the end of Fallout New Vegas I knew what the gently caress supermutants, ghouls, caps and mole rats were, and what the NCR and Brotherhood of Steel were all about, and I didn't have to play dumb to get that information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hopefully there's an option to ask about them if you want to, but the game sort of assumes that you know what they are, otherwise.

• Locked thread