Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised Yo-Kai Watch is getting a delayed PAL release. Given all the effort they're putting in to try to make it A Thing in the west, I would've thought they'd want that ready to go worldwide ASAP.

Every game has a delayed PAL release. There's only one game on that list that comes out on the same day in both territories and, frankly, it's the only one that matters. Also, it'll never be as popular as Pokemon here, where they had absolutely everything ready to go and the trading aspect meant that you pressured your friends to get it. And those games were released months later in PAL too, so at least they're consistent! There's also loads of other great games on the 3DS, whereas Pokemon was THE game for the Game Boy.

Pureauthor posted:

EOU2 is in a month and a half?

Dammit I'm not ready

Me neither, but I have plenty of time to prepare.

I'm not bitter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOE laid off a crapload of translators recently, that probably didn't help.

I think Level-5 still does one-language-per-cart releases, don't they?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised Yo-Kai Watch is getting a delayed PAL release. Given all the effort they're putting in to try to make it A Thing in the west, I would've thought they'd want that ready to go worldwide ASAP.
They probably need some extra time to dub the anime in multiple languages?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think Level-5 still does one-language-per-cart releases, don't they?
I believe Layton VS Phoenix Wright was Multi-5, for what it's worth.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

But the new Rhythm Heaven is tragically easy

That's kind of disappointing to hear, the difficulty is one of the best things about the other three games

Fast Track
Mar 21, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Every game has a delayed PAL release. There's only one game on that list that comes out on the same day in both territories and, frankly, it's the only one that matters.

Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson - August 11 (NA) / August 11 (PAL)

:raise:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised that they're pushing the dates far apart like that. Maybe it's our comeuppance for getting Fantasy Life a month before the US?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think it's all-around easier but it starts off kinda weird because they took a lot of the more challenging games from the previous entries and stuck them in the early game so now they're easier or shorter than before.

The new timing/score display helps a lot, too.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Here's an updated release schedule based on everything that came out of E3, excluding eShop stuff which I'll get to later. Did I miss anything?

Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson - August 11 (NA) / August 11 (PAL)

Got to have priorities, of course.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

codenameFANGIO posted:

Mario Golf: World Tour, Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS are all very good games. What games do you enjoy the most, person reading this post???

FFT:CC, MH4, Smash Bros, all of the goddamn picross games, and Both Mighty Switch Forces.

There are so many fun little Eshop games on the 3ds.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

you heard what he said bitch

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

:heysexy:

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
By the way, I recommend Disney Magical World to anyone who likes Fantasy Life (and Disney)

It's a 60+ hour action JRPG with tons of quests, unlocks, outfits, card collecting, and minigames. Help your favorite Disney pals by clearing out the ghosts that have invaded their lands, then use your drops to make stronger quest gear, cute clothes, and furniture to decorate your cafe that brings in the big bucks. You can fish, you can farm, you can take photos with pals like Mickey, Aladdin, Pooh, Cinderella, Alice, Stitch, Belle, Aurora, Pinocchio, and more. The Pirates of the Caribbean DLC adds a new world/quest area and the ability to hang out with Captain Jack. Like Animal Crossing, holiday items, decorations, and shop offerings will change on a real world time basis, as well as daily quests that change every 12 hours.

Basically it's charming as gently caress and did well enough to get a sequel greenlit, which is almost definitely going to be better than Fantasy Life 2 on mobile :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

almost definitely going to be better than Fantasy Life 2 on mobile :(

When you hit rock bottom it's impossible not to go up, whatever litle effort you put into it.

vvvv :golfclap:

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 22, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Not if you subsequently get hit by the people's elbow.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I cannot believe they made a upsetting minigame in Rhythm Heaven +. I thought this was a cheerful game :sigh:

At least there's cat clap.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

corn in the bible posted:

collect hundreds of berries and grind a boss over and over for a single rare drop

Desire sensor can read your thoughts, empty your mind of all material wanting and achieve Nirvana in your new G-rank armor.

Also, complete all the sub-objectives and probably capture the monster alive unless it's a carve-only material. Monster Hunter is just about the most Japanese game you can play on a western console, which means you need to have a third-party database open on your phone or whatever at all times to see what drops, and how. Many of the rare drops become less rare or guaranteed if you break a certain part on your monster, like the Gore Magala feelers.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fantasy Life is charming and fun, I said this earlier but it's also weirdly structured in that the grinding is actually really fun and quickly paced, but the story bits are really dull, take too long, and feel like a grind.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Can someone explain how digital game downloads work? I'm an idiot.

Do I need an SD card?

How many games can I have downloaded at a time? I assume there's a memory limit of some sort but I've got no idea how much memory 3ds games take.

Are there any performance hits/benefits from downloaded games vs carts? Honestly, the only thing I probably care about is battery life unless load times get way out of hand.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

LLSix posted:

Can someone explain how digital game downloads work? I'm an idiot.

Do I need an SD card?

How many games can I have downloaded at a time? I assume there's a memory limit of some sort but I've got no idea how much memory 3ds games take.

Are there any performance hits/benefits from downloaded games vs carts? Honestly, the only thing I probably care about is battery life unless load times get way out of hand.

You need an SD card, your 3DS typically comes with a little one, but I recommend springing for a 32GB. You can just copy all the folders from the old one to the new one using a PC, and it will work. If it's a nu3DS, it needs to be microSD. 3DS games don't take up much space. I have probably 10 full-size 3DS games off the eshop and am nowhere near running out of space.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah a 32gb micro sd card is like 10-15 bucks and realistically you are not gonna fill it up.

Performance and load times are identical to carts, and it's crazy convenient to swap between games instantly and not have to carry a bunch of carts around.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Otoh Europe gets Inazuma Eleven and America doesn't, which is Bullshit

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

More rhythm games need you make you cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_80O22OJRs

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Aaaand Fire Emblem Fates have broken the street date:

Tall Kamui looks so cool! :allears:

And apparently, Kamui can't reclass to any class he wants, unlike Robin (but you're able to choose a base class that he may reclass into).

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
How much do you guys trust Kotaku? Because I really want to believe this. I don't particularly care about faceplates. I just want the smaller size and built-in amiibo stuff.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-america-boss-teases-release-of-smaller-new-3ds-1713073614

Kotaku posted:

Nintendo of America Boss Teases Release of Smaller New 3DS
Stephen Totilo
6/22/15 12:13pm

The smaller version of Nintendo’s more powerful New 3DS line of handhelds may finally make it to North America, thanks to popular demand. At least that’s what we think Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime was hinting to me when we discussed Nintendo’s most capable handheld at E3.

“So we’ve got nothing to announce here,” Fils-Aime told me after I mentioned to him that many Kotaku readers have been clamoring for the release of the smaller New 3DS in North America. “We’ve certainly taken note of all of the readers and consumers that expressed desire for the base model.”

That’s not much of a hint, right? Ah, but when I asked him why Nintendo of America hadn’t brought both New 3DS models to North America—the big “XL” one we have now and the smaller one with the changeable faceplates that we don’t have—he added:

“We analyzed the results in Japan and saw the lion’s share of the volume was on the XL model, and that’s with no 2DS existing in the Japanese market. And so as we thought about : ‘What’s the best line-up for us?’ We thought the new XL and 2DS would be our best line-up. Not going to make any promises but, you know, I would suggest to your readers that they stay tuned and maybe some special SKUs might show up.”

The term “SKU” basically refers to models.

Nintendo of America Boss Teases Release of Smaller New 3DS

What about exclusive New 3DS games? Since the system’s launch in Japan last year and its subsequent launch in Europe, North America and elsewhere, there has been only one Nintendo-published game made just for the more powerful New 3DS. All other 3DS games work on new and old models. Even at E3, new games including a Zelda and a 2016 Metroid spin-off are made to run on the standard 3DS and New 3DS.

Fils-Aime said that Nintendo is trying not to split its New 3DS user base, but noted that Amiibo-centric games such as Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer, benefit from the New 3DS’ built-in sensors. To use an Amiibo on a traditional 3DS, you need a peripheral.

There will eventually be more games made just for the New 3DS, Fils-Aime confirmed. “There are digital games coming out that are specific to New Nintendo 3DS.” Those download-only games are unannounced, for now.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
I don't believe it, but if it happens, I will be ecstatically surprised.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
I'm willing to bet the SKUs will be special edition XLs based off of the best selling face plates.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zip zop zoobitybop posted:

I'm willing to bet the SKUs will be special edition XLs based off of the best selling face plates.
No doubt, I bet they'll even come with exclusive home themes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So, when I asked about retaining my digital games indefinitely the other day, someone said this could work with an NNID. If I create one, then wipe my 3ds and make sure to keep the ID, in the event I decide to buy a new 3ds somewhere down the road I can call Nintendo and get access to my games again by tranferring that ID? Am I understanding that right?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

NESguerilla posted:

So, when I asked about retaining my digital games indefinitely the other day, someone said this could work with an NNID. If I create one, then wipe my 3ds and make sure to keep the ID, in the event I decide to buy a new 3ds somewhere down the road I can call Nintendo and get access to my games again by tranferring that ID? Am I understanding that right?

All your digital purchases get tied to your NNID. In the event that your system is lost/damaged/(or in your case) sold, calling Nintendo with the old serial number, the new serial number and the NNID should let them migrate your NNID to your new system, yes.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You will lose all of your saves, however. This is glosses over every time this is mentioned.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

noirstronaut posted:

You will lose all of your saves, however. This is glosses over every time this is mentioned.

Indeed; there's no cloud saving, so the only way to preserve saves is with a System Transfer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok cool. So just save the serial # and NNID (and possibly hope the new owner doesn't try to download any of those games before I got a new one?)?

I don't care about the saves.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The new owner can't download anything without your password, but I imagine they'll be pretty assed when the games that were on the console just disappear.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Ok cool. So just save the serial # and NNID (and possibly hope the new owner doesn't try to download any of those games before I got a new one?)?

I don't care about the saves.

you should probably wipe your 3ds before you sell it though since if the new owner fucks around with flash carts or something they can get your nnid banned

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

corn in the bible posted:

you should probably wipe your 3ds before you sell it though since if the new owner fucks around with flash carts or something they can get your nnid banned

It should be noted that no one's been banned for using flashcarts yet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh I'm planning on wiping it. I was under the assumption that the ID was attached to the system no matter what until I transferred it over.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

It should be noted that no one's been banned for using flashcarts yet.

Nintendo did some bans, but fortunately their algorithm also hit a bunch of false positives so they rolled them back

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fry's has Codename STEAM for $20 (price match at Best Buy):

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 23, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fly's has Codename STEAM for $20 (price match at Best Buy):

Sadly that coupon looks like its only good today...and its a bit late to hit up stores. Unless you can price match on their website now?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i just booted curtain call and it stopped doing anything at the dumb checking for extra data screen. i let it sit for like 30 minutes since it y'know said not to turn off the power while it was accessing the memory but clearly nothing was happening so i closed the program. tried to boot it again and same thing. is there any sorta way i can check the microSD card for errors or repair that game because what the heck :|