Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Microsoft is quite proud of the fact o365 is the lead test environment for exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's fine if it works - and it's working fine. And the changes from 2013 to 2016 are small enough that all the PowerShell stuff I was doing still works properly, so the lack of Exchange 2016 specific info on TechNet isn't really an issue. I just can't find any notice of it on the roadmap or in the portal.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

incoherent posted:

Microsoft is quite proud of the fact o365 is the lead test environment for exchange.

LOL

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

That's fine if it works - and it's working fine. And the changes from 2013 to 2016 are small enough that all the PowerShell stuff I was doing still works properly, so the lack of Exchange 2016 specific info on TechNet isn't really an issue. I just can't find any notice of it on the roadmap or in the portal.

They're downplaying it significantly. The exchange blog as a full blowout on whats up in 2016.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2015/05/05/exchange-server-2016-architecture.aspx

It looks like they're jacking Sharepoint features for OWA, which isn't a problem and even better search. You'll need to license Office web though. Fun times.

Also: RIP CAS role and edge makes a return as an RTM role.

spiderlemur
Nov 6, 2010
I have a fresh install of Exchange 2013 and most things seem to work (OWA, shell, etc.) but the EAC is giving me a redirect back to the login page on a successful login. An incorrect login shows the error text.

What did I gently caress up?

IIS looks like this:

If I disable the exchange backend site, I get a blank page on login. It does the aforementioned redirect with it started. Somethings hosed in IIS somewhere I'm guessing, but I don't know what.

spiderlemur fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 11, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
are you running SAP on an exchange server?

spiderlemur
Nov 6, 2010

Gyshall posted:

are you running SAP on an exchange server?

I don't even know what SAP is.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

spiderlemur posted:

I don't even know what SAP is.

what do you use crystal reports for?

Chances are you have another app listening on a port Exchange needs to listen on.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Yeah, don't run another site in IIS on the CAS server if you can avoid it. Is it redirecting HTTP to HTTPS or something? Check the site bindings, you probably want the exchange site to have 80 and 443 on whatever IP (and the default site should maybe be shut off).

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009
2016 or vNext or whatever the hell they're calling it now has been bubbling out for a few months now. There's some cool stuff on the inside of it that hopefully will be public soon (Or maybe it is and Im just not aware of it. Im all O365 these days anyway).

Which, speaking of:

Anyone here on O365 ever encounter an issue with free/busy during a hybrid coexistence (2013) where it works everywhere except a cloud-side user trying to view an on prem user? I'm having the damnedest time getting it to work. EXRCA.com tests come back working successfully every time, and Ive spent forever and a day combing through the virtual directory settings. Because EXRCA is working but clients aren't I thought firewall perhaps, but its not registering any blocks or denies when we run tests.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

AutoArgus posted:

2016 or vNext or whatever the hell they're calling it now has been bubbling out for a few months now. There's some cool stuff on the inside of it that hopefully will be public soon (Or maybe it is and Im just not aware of it. Im all O365 these days anyway).

Which, speaking of:

Anyone here on O365 ever encounter an issue with free/busy during a hybrid coexistence (2013) where it works everywhere except a cloud-side user trying to view an on prem user? I'm having the damnedest time getting it to work. EXRCA.com tests come back working successfully every time, and Ive spent forever and a day combing through the virtual directory settings. Because EXRCA is working but clients aren't I thought firewall perhaps, but its not registering any blocks or denies when we run tests.

I think that's a cross-prem permission issue. The resolution is to get out of the hybrid state ASAP.

spiderlemur
Nov 6, 2010
I ended up fixing it by recreating the virtual directories in the shell. Had to mess around in ADSI edit too in order for it to let me.

Works now.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

OAquinas posted:

I think that's a cross-prem permission issue. The resolution is to get out of the hybrid state ASAP.

Don't I know it.. Its funny really, half the hours I put into any given project end up being spent on items that go away once it's out of coexistence.

This one is just frustrating because for all the other hybrids Ive spun up, and all the other times Ive had issues with free busy, its always ended up being "oh they goofed up their vdirs" or some other fairly evident issue. I've got a ticket open at this point to see if there's something Ive overlooked because Im feeling like a crazy person. At least this project doesn't include a legacy public folder migration.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

AutoArgus posted:

2016 or vNext or whatever the hell they're calling it now

vNext is what they use to refer to the next version :)

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

Jeoh posted:

vNext is what they use to refer to the next version :)

Ahahaha, well poo poo. I really need to pay more attention to the emails from our architect apparently.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Is it possible to move an Office 365 Exchange environment from one Active Directory domain to another Active Directory domain?

We have this old as gently caress domain "corp.example.com" that has some problems and we want to create a new AD domain and move users over to it. How does this affect Office 365 using Directory Sync (we do not use a federated server currently)?

Also to note, the primary email address of users will remain the same, we're just moving the objects to a different domain.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

kiwid posted:

Is it possible to move an Office 365 Exchange environment from one Active Directory domain to another Active Directory domain?

We have this old as gently caress domain "corp.example.com" that has some problems and we want to create a new AD domain and move users over to it. How does this affect Office 365 using Directory Sync (we do not use a federated server currently)?

Also to note, the primary email address of users will remain the same, we're just moving the objects to a different domain.

You need to sever the dirsync, move to new domain, make sure the UPNs are the same, then redo dirsync.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

kiwid posted:

I am looking to do this soon too. God help us.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

kiwid posted:

Easier then people think. Don't use the Directory Sync tool, use https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44225 its the Azure Sync services also works with Office365 gives way more control, when you do a sync it allows you to pick how it will line the local accounts up with the Office365 ones allowing you to rematch them properly.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

socialsecurity posted:

Easier then people think. Don't use the Directory Sync tool, use https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44225 its the Azure Sync services also works with Office365 gives way more control, when you do a sync it allows you to pick how it will line the local accounts up with the Office365 ones allowing you to rematch them properly.

I converted from DirSync to AADSync a few weeks ago and it was stupid easy.

I have been looking this over as it is pretty much exactly what I want to do:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/How-to-migrate-mailboxes-from-one-Office-365-tenant-to-another-65af7d77-3e79-44d4-9173-04fd991358b7

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why do so many useful looking MS support pages want me to log in. Really interrupts my workflow of Googling an issue and opening hundreds of tabs.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Basic q: if I don't have circular logging enabled, what process prevents the disk from filling up with logs?

What truncates the old logs?

Also: any book suggestions for bringing myself up to speed with Exchange?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

A full or incremental backup using windows backup or a backup software of your choosing. They will signal the appropriate command to purge the log files. NEVER EVER delete those logs. The Mastering Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 book looks like a good route, but i'd take the effort and review the study material for the microsoft certifications even if you don't take them.

Edit: NEVER EVER.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 17, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Swink posted:

Basic q: if I don't have circular logging enabled, what process prevents the disk from filling up with logs?

What truncates the old logs?

Also: any book suggestions for bringing myself up to speed with Exchange?

Application aware backups. Circular Logging will stop logs from filling up the disk.

Protip: Put your logs on its own partition/array.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Protip: Put your logs on its own partition/array.

I see this constantly when I do assessments. People just install Windows and Exchange and SQL and DC roles and leave everything on C: drive.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Are you like supposed to place the DC databases on other drives, for reals? I've never seen a deployment that does that and i've never seen a microsoft employee do anything other than next over that screen. Sure all the big game services and roles like exchange,sql,lync,etc on a separate volumes. They've done a good job with mitigating a domain controller (and your primary one too boot) fails on you that it seems not worth the effort to put it on another drive. In addition doing maintenance on the ADDB is as easy as stopping the service, do your maintenance, and start it back up.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 17, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Our deployment has the Databases on D and the logs in the same folder.

The logs exploded after I migrated a 10gb mailbox to another DB and filled the disk. Our backup wasn't able to run with the mailboxes unmounted. Good times.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

incoherent posted:

Are you like supposed to place the DC databases on other drives, for reals? I've never seen a deployment that does that and i've never seen a microsoft employee do anything other than next over that screen. Sure all the big game services and roles like exchange,sql,lync,etc on a separate volumes. They've done a good job with mitigating a domain controller (and your primary one too boot) fails on you that it seems not worth the effort to put it on another drive. In addition doing maintenance on the ADDB is as easy as stopping the service, do your maintenance, and start it back up.

whenever I do DCPROMO I put sysvol etc on D:\. Honestly idk if you're "supposed to" but I feel like there's probably Reasons.

"not worth the effort" - all my vm templates have two virtual hdd allocated out of the box so it's not really an effort other than changing C to D.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

incoherent posted:

this is like ~~~~ XTREME BEST PRACTICES~ ~~~~ but in the world of virtualization I think there are merits to putting different applications on their own partitions/drives. For Active Directory it isn't that big of a deal unless you have a gigantic sysvol directory. SQL and Exchange are the two that I feel like you absolutely must put the logs on a different drive. Much like NevergirlsOFFICIAL, all my VMs have a thin provisioned C drive and then a thick provisioned E: drive that I use for data (shares, etc.) and programs/apps installs.

Swink posted:

Our deployment has the Databases on D and the logs in the same folder.

The logs exploded after I migrated a 10gb mailbox to another DB and filled the disk. Our backup wasn't able to run with the mailboxes unmounted. Good times.

This, also Exchange 2007+ will stop receiving emails when the disk space it is installed to goes below 10 % free space or so.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Good food for thought. I'll have to look at my master windows image to integrate this type of stuff. Never thought of sysvol in that context so it's definitely something I take for granted.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I've been given a task. It sounds simple enough but I've never done it before and I don't want to be that guy who deletes everyone's mail by mistake.

In Office 365 all users will have Exchange Online Plan 2.
All inbound/outbound mail needs to get immediately copied to the online archive.
After 1 year the messages will be deleted from the mailbox but remain in the archive. Messages can be deleted from the mailbox before this period but will remain in the archive.
After 5 years the messages will get deleted from the archive as well. Messages cannot be deleted from the archive before this 5 year period.

I'm looking at retention policies and holds but I'm not sure how to differentiate between applying a policy to the mailbox or the archive.

Anyway, I'm off to do some research into this but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

edit: turns out they are asking for the impossible with the whole copying to both archive and live mailbox thing, so I told them that. Makes my life easier.

snackcakes fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 20, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
We do something similar using journaling. All our mail is forwarded to our 'archive' mailbox.

The archive has no retention policy, all the rest of the mailboxes do.

This is Exchange 2010 on premise.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Outlook for Mac has the following limitations:
You cannot send email messages from a distribution list or a security group.
You cannot use a distribution list or a security group as a delegate.

:ughh:

The workaround for now is "Please log in to owa and send from there"...

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Man I'm so loving pissed off with Office 365 this morning. We use Mandrill to send email to recipients in our Office 365 organization and they're not being delivered, however, Mandrill says they are delivered. I create a ticket with Office 365 and wow, the service is just astonishingly awful. I assume the support personal are from India because of the accent, which isn't even the part I'm pissed about. For some reason, every loving time we need to get on the phone with support, the phone lines are just absolutely trash and cut out every 3-4 seconds leaving me piecing together bits of sentences which are already hard to understand because of the accent. gently caress. I'm sitting here right now not knowing what my next step into getting this resolved is because I can't loving talk with Office 365 support.

Thanks, oh glorious leader, for making the decision to move our Exchange environment to Office 365.
/rant

edit: Mandrill figured out the issue for us:

quote:

In looking at our backend logs, we're receiving the following response for some of these emails:
code:
550 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [198.2.187.13] blocked using FBLW15;
To request removal from this list please forward this message to [email]delist@messaging.microsoft.com[/email]
I've asked our Delivery team, and it appears that Microsoft Frontbridge has blocked an entire IP range, part of which includes several of Mandrill's server. We've reached out to Microsoft to request de-listing already - they generally respond within 24 hours.
I apologize for any confusion - you may wish to try whitelisting Mandrill's IPs, although in this case it looks as though Microsoft blocks these emails before they are ever routed to your Office365 instance: How can my recipients whitelist Mandrill's IP addresses?
If you have any further questions, please let me know and we'd be happy to help

Why the gently caress would Microsoft indiscriminately blacklist an entire block of IPs.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 19, 2015

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

kiwid posted:

Why the gently caress would Microsoft indiscriminately blacklist an entire block of IPs.

Do you have an Exchange connector for those IP ranges? I didn't do that first during migration and we got blacklisted from using our SMTP relay from onsite to our tenancy.

From the EAC: Mail Flow -> Connectors.
Do it by IP address and list the servers you need to specify. The domain has to match an accepted domain in the tenancy.

My experience with O365 support has been amazing. The phone call quality blows though, especially on a cell phone. It is much better on VOIP/POTS.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

mayodreams posted:

Do you have an Exchange connector for those IP ranges? I didn't do that first during migration and we got blacklisted from using our SMTP relay from onsite to our tenancy.

From the EAC: Mail Flow -> Connectors.
Do it by IP address and list the servers you need to specify. The domain has to match an accepted domain in the tenancy.

My experience with O365 support has been amazing. The phone call quality blows though, especially on a cell phone. It is much better on VOIP/POTS.

We have a connector for our on site relay (which we're phasing out for mandrill) but not Mandrill's servers. Mandrill changes their IPs all the time so not sure how we'd manage that. I think we're going to look into just setting up office 365 as the relay now and force everything to use smtp auth, gently caress it.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I hope I'm getting this right, I was hoping you guys could help me:

If I have a primary Exchange 2013 site and a DR site, a 5 node (3+2) cluster wouldn't work, would it?

Wouldn't the breakdown on one site (with 3 servers) bring the quorum down due to losing majority? Can I add a File Share Witness so that it stays up?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

orange sky posted:

If I have a primary Exchange 2013 site and a DR site, a 5 node (3+2) cluster wouldn't work, would it?

Wouldn't the breakdown on one site (with 3 servers) bring the quorum down due to losing majority? Can I add a File Share Witness so that it stays up?

File Share Witness can only be used as a tiebreaker, so if you had a 3/3 split you'd want a FSW to act as the tie breaker. If you have a 3/2 split a FSW won't really have an effect.

If you haven't already built this out I'd say go with a 3/3 split with an FSW in a third location if possible.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

kiwid posted:

We have a connector for our on site relay (which we're phasing out for mandrill) but not Mandrill's servers. Mandrill changes their IPs all the time so not sure how we'd manage that. I think we're going to look into just setting up office 365 as the relay now and force everything to use smtp auth, gently caress it.

Is mandrill sending their emails with your SMTP domain at the end? Like, outbound from their server but as "Automatedcommunications@yourdomain.com"? If that's the case, get Mandrill's SPF record and include it with your own to basically add them to your 'these people are allowed send with @yourdomain.com' list.

I've had some pretty good experiences with their support 90% of the time. Used to be 50/50 I'd get "Tim from Kentucky" who fell apart when I took him off script vs getting Manesh who dove straight into the exact logfile that had the issue buried inside. They've been making improvements I'd say. Best route I've found for buzzing past tier 1 is to make your ticket, then call in with the ticket number asking for attention and repeating the details at them. You're usually told it's still on its way to an engineer, but it does get it flagged in the system.

If you're getting emails from V-xxxxxx@microsoft.com, you're getting their Indian/Filipino/Chinese contractors. A-xxxxxx@microsoft.com is a state-side contractor, and no prefix is full on MS employee, youve probably been escalated to their Dallas support team (I'm told its about two dozen guys that have been doing Exchange for 12+ years each on that team).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

orange sky posted:

You really need a third location, put a witness up in EC2 or something.