Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
f

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Carver Crisis posted:

I just beat the main story of Origins for the first time to be caught up with the series for Knight, and am I crazy for feeling like it's my favorite of the 3? I thought the story was really well done, loved all the references and inspiration from The Killing Joke, the boss fights were more interesting visually and mechanically than the Rocksteady games, and the crime scene recreations looked kind of janky but were a great addition to detective mode that I hope to see in Knight again. I kind of wrote the game off because I saw early footage before the game came out that didn't look appealing, and the lukewarm reviews made me put off playing it until now, but I came away from it being really impressed.

Origins was my favorite as well. I liked the Batman/Alfred bits a lot, all of the Red Hood/Killing Joke stuff and I thought the investigation bits were fun if horribly hand-holdy. Also, the boss fights were the best in all the games.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

bonds0097 posted:

Origins was my favorite as well. I liked the Batman/Alfred bits a lot, all of the Red Hood/Killing Joke stuff and I thought the investigation bits were fun if horribly hand-holdy. Also, the boss fights were the best in all the games.

Croc was boring
Copperhead was just Ras Al Ghul with a different skin
Firefly was pure repetition
All the Bane fights can suck my dick

The only interesting boss fight was Deathstroke

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Deathstroke is the boss fight that's just a big lame qte button mash thing right? That was sooo awesome. Lmfao.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
The Origins Bane fights felt like they weren't balanced around the Arkham combat and predator mechanics. It was too easy to get your combo hosed up in the rooftop fight. The final Bane fight was supposed to be like the Mr. Freeze fight from City, but the arena wasn't designed that well and gave you very few options.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Deathstroke is the boss fight that's just a big lame qte button mash thing right? That was sooo awesome. Lmfao.

It's the most bizarrely praised thing in Origins.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The most thought out thing about Origins was Cold Cold Heart.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

The most thought out thing about Origins was Cold Cold Heart.
:agreed:

I really enjoyed CCH.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I literally couldn't remember a single fight from origins outside of electrocutioner and the room with all of Branden's men until I read these posts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The final fight in Arkham Blackgate is still the nadir for boss fights in the series though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The series has yet to top the Mr. Freeze boss fight. He forced you to use everything from your arsenal, and the same tricks never worked twice. I love bosses that force you to think.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

I literally couldn't remember a single fight from origins outside of electrocutioner and the room with all of Branden's men until I read these posts.

Yeah I was about to say, the Electrocutioner fight was incredible, what are you all talking about.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

redbackground posted:

:agreed:

I really enjoyed CCH.

It's also kind of sad that it wasn't the main game and the Joker bait-and-switch wasn't a condensed and possibly better side DLC, but at least we got CCH as it was. It also makes me wonder if this means if any future Batman games would benefit from a more episodic case by case narrative instead of a giant open world brawl. It's likely cool when it works in Arkham Knight, but CCH felt like a more solid experience than City or Origins.

You could still work in progression from each case making Batman better his game or try out new tools as the villains and plots get more dangerous, but it could be told like B:TAS or Brave and the Bold where every night its a different freak that tests your skills to combat them from the usual gang of thugs on every rooftop.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 22, 2015

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

redbackground posted:

:woop: GMG just sent my codes :woop:

Yep, now preloading. Bought for only $36.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Crabtree posted:

It's also kind of sad that it wasn't the main game and the Joker bait-and-switch wasn't a condensed and possibly better side DLC, but at least we got CCH as it was. It also makes me wonder if this means if any future Batman games would benefit from a more episodic case by case narrative instead of a giant open world brawl. It's likely cool when it works in Arkham Knight, but CCH felt like a more solid experience than City or Origins.

You could still work in progression from each case making Batman better his game or try out new tools as the villains and plots get more dangerous, but it could be told like B:TAS or Brave and the Bold where every night its a different freak that tests your skills to combat them from the usual gang of thugs on every rooftop.

An LA Noire type model would be a nice change from the "one CRAZY night in Gotham" used in the Arkham games

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Terrible Horse posted:

An LA Noire type model would be a nice change from the "one CRAZY night in Gotham" used in the Arkham games

Seriously, I want the, like, everyday Bat-experience. Although they'd lose the ability to reasonably account for the city always being evacuated, so there would have to be more of a living world with civilian activity and traffic and everything.

Which would be cool if it was done well. It introduces a lot of design challenges, though.

Petri
Apr 18, 2013
Has anyone got their pre-order key from G2A yet? I bought from them yesterday and the status of the item is still "Processing". I know I took a risk buying there but I'll be pretty bummed if I won't even get my key in the first place.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

CharlestonJew posted:

Croc was boring
Copperhead was just Ras Al Ghul with a different skin
Firefly was pure repetition
All the Bane fights can suck my dick

The only interesting boss fight was Deathstroke

This compared to the boss fights from Arkham City. I mean when you compare that with boring poo poo like the Solomon Grundy fight or pretty much anything from Asylum, Origins boss fights are downright amazing in comparison.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Seriously, I want the, like, everyday Bat-experience. Although they'd lose the ability to reasonably account for the city always being evacuated, so there would have to be more of a living world with civilian activity and traffic and everything.

Which would be cool if it was done well. It introduces a lot of design challenges, though.

I guess all those civilians waiting for the bus who got hit by my Batmobile should've stayed out of the way of Justice. :mmmsmug:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Is there a list somewhere of what the season pass will contain or is it just vague promises of more stuff? Pre-order bonuses are ok I guess. It's 30 bucks on steam and since I got the game free from Nvidia that doesn't seem like a terrible buy-in but I don't want to pay for junk either.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

so apparently there's a 'controveresy' regarding this review and the guy's 7/10 score which on top of not being bad seems perfectly warranted given his reasoning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1xnre-sIWI

gamers deserve nothing

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What's the steam unlock time?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Terrible Horse posted:

LA Noire had some of the worst open world gameplay I have ever seen.

It was more sterile than any of the Arkham games, and there's poo poo to do in LA.

blackguy32 posted:

This compared to the boss fights from Arkham City. I mean when you compare that with boring poo poo like the Solomon Grundy fight or pretty much anything from Asylum, Origins boss fights are downright amazing in comparison.

The boss fights in Asylum were a titan, Bane (who's basically a titan), two titans, three titans, Ivy, another two titans, and the Joker titan. So much variety!

And the boss fights in City really blew outside of Freeze.

Edit: I guess Zsasz was sort of a boss in Asylum, though he was basically nothing more than a glorified tutorial in his appearances.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 22, 2015

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Generic Monk posted:

so apparently there's a 'controveresy' regarding this review and the guy's 7/10 score which on top of not being bad seems perfectly warranted given his reasoning

gamers deserve nothing

you have to understand that in gaming journalism terms a 7 is pretty much a 0

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In general the boss fights have been the absolute weakest part of the Arkham franchise. The system isn't really well designed for it. Origins managed to make a pretty good 1v1 fight but even that was fairly limited.

I'm hoping Knight maybe does better but I doubt it will.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think the IGN review said that Knight doesn't really have many typical boss fights so much as just special combat encounters.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Okay, I've come around to the twist in Knight. Tyler "Joker" Durden is a pretty good way of incorporating the character.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Zotix posted:

What's the steam unlock time?
Literally 24 hours from now I think. 6pm GMT, not sure what that translates to in the US.

Wish it had been midnight like some other games but eh.

Bobinator
Jun 30, 2008

My rocket is the best... NOT!
Personally, I liked City's boss fights because they all felt like they came out of some kind of late 90's 3D platformer. :v: Like, the Ra's Al Ghul fight felt like something you'd encounter in a Spyro game, which was... interesting, at least. It'd be a shame if they tossed all that out, although I'd probably be the one to say so. I wouldn't say they were amazing, but I preferred them a lot more over the one in Origins alone.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

ayn rand hand job posted:

LA Noire had some of the worst open world gameplay I have ever seen.

It was more sterile than any of the Arkham games, and there's poo poo to do in LA.

I agree, I more meant the episodic set up, and building a case over a series of crime scenes, noting connections with other crimes, etc.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

you have to understand that in gaming journalism terms a 7 is pretty much a 0

seemed to actually reflect the content of the review which is kind of refreshing for one of the bigger review sites. whatever; I love anything that creates pissy youtube comments

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Generic Monk posted:

seemed to actually reflect the content of the review which is kind of refreshing for one of the bigger review sites. whatever; I love anything that creates pissy youtube comments

Its like the Zelda 8.8 review stuff all over again. Some people just really want their views confirmed.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Congratulations Tree Huffer, you managed to PM me first.

To everyone else that pm'd me, sorry. One of you was second by only like a minute.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

gamers deserve nothing
first they came for Zelda, and I said nothing because I'm not a ninty..

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

dont sell poo poo outside of SA Mart

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Looks like Steam updated to say it's unlocking at midnight EST, so that's cool.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Palladium posted:

Yep, now preloading. Bought for only $36.

Where at?'

EDIT: I'm dumb, I assume GMG?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

turnways posted:

Looks like Steam updated to say it's unlocking at midnight EST, so that's cool.

Good, means I can get like an hour out of it before I should go to bed.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Nuuvem codes are available. Not region locked.

Looks like they aren't selling it anymore, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

dont sell poo poo outside of SA Mart

Ah, sorry about that. Won't happen again.

• Locked thread