Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
My only problem with Suiko 2 is that it's backloaded with cool characters like the white haired samurai dude and Bob the werewolf that you get way too late to really use much.

It's true vvv but if your friends won't play wrestlemans the RPG with you they aren't friends at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Million Ghosts posted:

That is the saddest poo poo

But at the same time, it's wonderful that such a thing exists

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Wendell posted:

I'm watching this video of Suikoden 2's unite attacks, there are a bunch I haven't seen before. A lot of love went into Suikoden 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGprNddeo2o

I didn't realize how many of Suiko II's unites had friendly fire. The one with Sierra is especially insane.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I just finished the first Witcher, the game is pretty good but suffer of intense backtracking. They should have just call it walking simulator 2008. Also the combat was stiff and not really engaging. It was a bit frustrating when you try to engage group combat or cast a sign but can't for some reason. On the good side I really like the potion system, the story is good and the character engaging.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Delsaber posted:

I think a lot of the intros did this to some extent. I don't remember giant bugs divebombing a village in Suikoden III but I could be wrong.
you are. there are bug riders in suikoden 3 and there's a scene where they attack a village

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man I've completely forgotten what it's like to play an RPG (lightning returns) with very minimal quest markers. Having to run like 3 loops around a city to keep looking for new towns people to spawn at different times of the day is starting to get a little maddening.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I think we can all agree that the coolest character in Suikoden 3 was Fred. And even if we can't agree on that, we can definitely agree that Edge was the lamest.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

i've heard this repeated many times and I don't get it. is it because people like both II and V. they're very different as far as theming/pacing/writing/everything except pushing the autobattle button goes.

It has pretty much the exact same gameplay mechanics of Suikoden II. The only real differences is that the duels no longer let you wait forever to pick a response and the tactical battles is played in real time but otherwise plays in the same style as Suikoden II. It's a good game, but it didn't really try to push the series forward in any way like III tried to do and somewhat failed at, or what IV completely botched at doing.

Bleusilences posted:

I just finished the first Witcher, the game is pretty good but suffer of intense backtracking. They should have just call it walking simulator 2008. Also the combat was stiff and not really engaging. It was a bit frustrating when you try to engage group combat or cast a sign but can't for some reason. On the good side I really like the potion system, the story is good and the character engaging.

I kind of wish someone remade the first Witcher game in the Witcher 2 or 3 engine or something. Maybe one day.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
As stupid as it was, the day I discovered Unite Magic was actually a thing in Suikoden after beating 1 & 2 several times without it felt like I uncovered a hidden god mode cheat within the franchise. It was the closest you could get to playing as Crowley and finding out how insane that guy probably is in trying to achieve true rune power without relying on any of them.

The people behind any Suikoden don't do anything involving games anymore, right? No hope for any sort of spiritual whatever from any of them? :negative:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wendell posted:

I think we can all agree that the coolest character in Suikoden 3 was Fred. And even if we can't agree on that, we can definitely agree that Edge was the lamest.

Fred wasn't a big duck, though.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wendell posted:

It's a close race between Edge and Hugo for lamest. Not sure who I'd give it to.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Wendell posted:

I want to like Baten Kaitos, but it is really very slow.

You should try the second one. It streamlined a lot of stuff. You get all three party members within the first hour or so, everyone shares one deck, battles move faster, and combos are pretty cool.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I'll add that the first game starts off on the wrong foot and spends its first few hours laboriously explaining basic RPG concepts. It does get its act together and pick up after that. (Baten Kaitos does require a bit of experimentation when it comes to character decks and periodic deck reshuffling, so if that's not to your tastes, then no, that's not going to go away. I didn't find navigating the dungeons, combat, or the overall pace of the game to be slow outside of those first 3-4 hours, though.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Apparently a new Tales-game called "Tales of Berseria" is coming.

And it comes with female protagonist Velvet, which makes it instantly 10x better then all those other JRPGs with their anime-pretty-boy-protagonists. :colbert:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Her outfit is really, really bad. Luckily most Tales games give you the option to give your starting characters alternate/DLC costumes from other Tales games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm looking forward to Tales of lady vampire pirate.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wendell posted:

If you combined them, you would have a character named Fredge.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Nate RFB posted:

Her outfit is really, really bad. Luckily most Tales games give you the option to give your starting characters alternate/DLC costumes from other Tales games.
It's basically a super edgy version of Milla's outfit.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm looking forward to Tales of lady vampire pirate.

I'm thinking more like werewolf.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Wendell posted:

It's hard to out-lame Guillaume but if anyone can do it, it's definitely Edge.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Hugo is lame but he has cool duck friends

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Hugo is lame but he has cool duck friends

Sgt. Joe is a much better character than Hugo.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I like Howard the duck and also Duckman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

I like Howard the duck and also Duckman.

Are you saying all ducks look alike to you? Are you some kind of duck racist?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
All whiteys look the same to me.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Duckman's feathers are yellow.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Racist

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Hey I started replaying Might and Magic 7 and am making awkward videos to just go through the game to entice anyone who might want to play or at least let people know how badass it was if they don't intend to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy3w8cpm8-E

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Are you saying all ducks look alike to you? Are you some kind of duck racist?

Godwin was right. Godwin did nothing wrong.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The Digimon World ReDigitize english patch is FINALLY out, pretty hyped to raise a dinosaur into a poop.

https://digimonworldre.wordpress.com/

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Million Ghosts posted:

The Digimon World ReDigitize english patch is FINALLY out, pretty hyped to raise a dinosaur into a poop.

https://digimonworldre.wordpress.com/

I'd never heard of this, but I'm interested! A few things though: man, that character designer really can't draw more than two variations of people, can he? And, "As mentioned before, this patch won’t include a subbed version of the Opening, due to legal and technical reasons." Legal reasons? What? Just admit you couldn't figure out how.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Wendell posted:

I'd never heard of this, but I'm interested! A few things though: man, that character designer really can't draw more than two variations of people, can he? And, "As mentioned before, this patch won’t include a subbed version of the Opening, due to legal and technical reasons." Legal reasons? What? Just admit you couldn't figure out how.

Unlike 99% of translation patches, they're putting it under Creative Common License.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wendell posted:

Translation patches are usually difference files but that'd be illegal to distribute that because it'd be the entire video file, with subs added, and that'd be piracy.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
So it's basically Digimon World 1 with more mons and Devil Survivor humans. Which is awesome to me, but I know some people hate DW.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

So it's basically Digimon World 1 with more mons and Devil Survivor humans. Which is awesome to me, but I know some people hate DW.

is it less obtuse

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Theres a 3ds improved port of the psp game but the translation project predates it. Naturally there are no plans to release it in english, nor are there plans to localize the new Vita digimon game which is about solving crimes

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Ruggington posted:

is it less obtuse

Sort of but not really no. If you don't end up getting Numemon over and over it's not the true DW experience.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Well, it crashes immediately after name entry on 660 Pro-C custom firmware. Bang up job.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Why not use PPSSPP? It runs games better than a real PSP and you get the benefit of 2 sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i should buy a psp someday