Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

More things pissing me off today: People incapable of written communication. I send an email asking two simple questions that can be answered with yes/no, and the reply I get is "Please call me."

Remember that a telephone call always causes the recipient greater inconvenience than a written message. - A 1934 guide to phone etiquette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

No more relevant-to-the-thread poo poo will piss me off. Accepted a new job offer in a totally different field and handed in my resignation today, just a few more weeks here. :toot:

They'll issue you a 5-year-old laptop, and your userid won't be provisioned for 3 weeks. Also, the corporate wireless network won't work at your desk for some reason. It will work fine at the desk / office next to yours, but it will not work at your desk. Someone in <new department> will learn of your past, and will drop off their aunt's laptop with a note to "please install Office". They won't tell you it's infected with malware.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

myron cope posted:

Our "security admin" added lastpass to the 'banned list' because they were hacked. I feel like this is a pretty large overreaction.

Sounds like a tool.

Would maybe have been better to inform users and get then to ensure their master key is changed. Lastpass's overall architecture is good and the failsafe for a breach such as this are good.

Still trusting passwords to a web accessible service probably isn't a winning strategy.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

myron cope posted:

Our "security admin" added lastpass to the 'banned list' because they were hacked. I feel like this is a pretty large overreaction.

Send any historical articles about any website your company uses on a regular basis being hacked to him to make sure his block list is up to date.

Double bonus points if you can get the history of any C-level to use.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

ElZilcho posted:

Would maybe have been better to inform users and get then to ensure their master key is changed.

That's a good one!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
That Excel rant really spoke to me. Well done.

Our practice management software isn't very complex, it's just busy as all hell. Lots of fields to fill in all over the place. Probably 5% of the staff understand why they need to fill in the fields. The rest only know that the fields need to have something in there to progress to the next screen.

Our only saving grace is that we do such a poo poo job of mining our own data that nobody notices that the data is junk.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

ElZilcho posted:

Sounds like a tool.

Would maybe have been better to inform users and get then to ensure their master key is changed. Lastpass's overall architecture is good and the failsafe for a breach such as this are good.

Still trusting passwords to a web accessible service probably isn't a winning strategy.

I'm pretty sure the only people that use Lastpass are me and two other guys on the helpdesk that I've told about Lastpass. I use 2FA and also changed my master password already.

This is also the security admin that has used the same password since 2007 (exempt from the password change policy) and his regular account is an enterprise admin.

e: oh also I don't care I'm not removing it. My last day is Friday and I'm in Tennessee until Thursday, so...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

myron cope posted:

This is also the security admin that has used the same password since 2007 (exempt from the password change policy) and his regular account is an enterprise admin.

What the hell? Why would security have all encompassing rights like that? That's just bad practice for a role not requiring that level of access to have them. Let alone the shiftiness of security exempting themselves from their own policies (there are times when it's justified, but this typically is not one of them).

Let me guess. He's a special snowflake and let's everyone know it.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

flosofl posted:

What the hell? Why would security have all encompassing rights like that? That's just bad practice for a role not requiring that level of access to have them. Let alone the shiftiness of security exempting themselves from their own policies (there are times when it's justified, but this typically is not one of them).

Let me guess. He's a special snowflake and let's everyone know it.

He "used to" be a sysadmin until becoming the "security admin"...a year ago? Maybe not even a year yet. I say "used to", because when there's sysadmin stuff he doesn't want to do, he says "I'm not a sysadmin". Sysadmin stuff he does want to do he has no problem with doing.

Somehow he has ensorcelled our CIO and gets whatever he wants. New hardware, new software, whatever. He convinced them to buy a rainbow table (?) and Metasploit pro and a new LogRhythm server. They have literally denied a request for the helpdesk to get post-it notes.

He gets these projects, gets them half working, keeps everything a secret...and then dumps it on either the sysadmins or the help desk (depending on what it is) and gets real pissy when people then come to him with questions.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Not pissing me off: The company I've worked for for the past 2 years got acquired, but only the dev design and management which isn't me. That sounds bad, but the owners really like me, so they're paying for my full tuition to Hack Reactor (It's a dev bootcamp where we got a few of our engineers). They want to hire me as a dev when I'm done, but I'm not obligated to. I got all this in writing just in case. I'm almost done with the pre-course work and I start on the 29th. Wish me luck!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Sweet Jesus...

http://www.itworld.com/article/2939255/windows/the-us-navys-warfare-systems-command-just-paid-millions-to-stay-on-windows-xp.html?nsdr=true

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
What else can they do? Is it feasible to migrate enormous secure systems every few years?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yes? That's called life cycle management.

For Windows, you can skip every other version (which is a good idea anyway owing to Microsoft's tick-gently caress development model) and wait for the first service pack, and it will still leave you plenty of time for a migration project.

You're going to have to do it eventually anyway so spending $30m on paid extended support (even if it probably amounts to a rounding error in the Navy's total budget) is basically just a fine on poor planning.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

More things pissing me off today: People incapable of written communication. I send an email asking two simple questions that can be answered with yes/no, and the reply I get is "Please call me."

Remember that a telephone call always causes the recipient greater inconvenience than a written message. - A 1934 guide to phone etiquette.

I, conversely, sent an email asking two yes/no questions and one non-yes/no question, and the reply email was "yes".

I will swap my correspondent for yours.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I try to do all my communication through email since ~~~ paper trail ~~~

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Gyshall posted:

I try to do all my communication through email since ~~~ paper trail ~~~

I worked for a few small brokerage firms that were monitored by SEC for compliance, and occasionally I'd get a text from the manager "We need to talk" and I'd have to meet him out face to face, and he was clear that some issue we don't discuss over email, phone calls, or texts.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I'm kinda surprised that the cost for 2 years of XP support for government clusterfuck legacy military systems is only going to be about 30 million, even if it's "only" navy systems. I'd have guessed higher.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Error 69: missileGuidance_32 does not have permission to write to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Wrong thread for this, but it really is pissing me off. Our boss is forcing us to replace our perfectly adequate firewalls (based on Shorewall) with a third party appliance.

The good thing is that he doesn't care who makes the appliance, as long as it has hardware failover, WAN failover, and enough QoS/bandwidth management to make sure VoIP and VPN don't suck.

What's the thread's opinion on Watchguard?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
They've had a Microsoft Eradication Team for a while now

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Watchguard is just okay, my company resells them and they are a solid middle-ground between feature set and being able to be configured without requiring gobs of certificates/experience/etc.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

anthonypants posted:

They've had a Microsoft Eradication Team for a while now

Naval Operations for Information Dominance

Information. Dominance.

changing my business cards right now.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Pissing me off today:

So, one the developers on my project, as I mentioned before, blew up something made a servlet that takes up 100% of the threads on a RHEL server. I kill -3 the tomcat, and then kill -9 it to death. I take the stack trace to the PM and tell him what happened, and he tells me to analyze the stack trace. I'm not good at that, so I take it to my manager and the support manager, and ask them who I can escalate this to. The support manager is named Dave, and the director of my department, (both these guy's boss), is named also named Dave.

So the support manager, manager-dave, tells me that I should help with this, and they need to escalate it up the developer food chain, and it's not a system problem and how day they waste my time and try to dump work on me. I protest, and say "maybe I should help them", but they keep saying "no no no, don't help, tell them it's their job." I go back to the PM, and tell him that I tried to get more data, and I was told by Dave to take it back to you and have you get your developers to escalate it up their side of company, but I'll help however I can.

I get back to the office to an irate director-Dave, the PM called him and said I refused to help them, and I was extremely rude in telling them to deal with it themselves. He wants to know why he, director-dave, told me not to help. Director dave asks me to explain myself, and I tell him I was told by manager-dave. He understands the confusion but proceeds to yell at me for not being helpful, and try to turn it around and get him to take it up with manager-dave, since I did what I was told. He doesn't really get it, and keeps laying into me.

Ugh.

I tell my direct manager, not named Dave, and he's like "eh don't worry about it, no one really is angry, he's just upset at you." What does that even mean? Now the director, that I already have a hard enough time communicating with has an eye on me for no reason, and Manager-dave still doesn't agree that I should help the developers.

Argh. My life is Degrassi.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Google has THE WORST support.

I've been on some online chat with some non-American for 26 minutes and we are only at "can you please verify your UA account number?"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Roargasm posted:

Error 69: missileGuidance_32 does not have permission to write to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator

The missile stuff runs NT still.

NT 3.51.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

go3 posted:

Naval Operations for Information Dominance

Information. Dominance.

changing my business cards right now.

Avoid the NOID.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gyshall posted:

Watchguard is just okay, my company resells them and they are a solid middle-ground between feature set and being able to be configured without requiring gobs of certificates/experience/etc.

Also look at Fortinet.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Pissing me off today:

So, one the developers on my project, as I mentioned before, blew up something made a servlet that takes up 100% of the threads on a RHEL server. I kill -3 the tomcat, and then kill -9 it to death. I take the stack trace to the PM and tell him what happened, and he tells me to analyze the stack trace. I'm not good at that, so I take it to my manager and the support manager, and ask them who I can escalate this to. The support manager is named Dave, and the director of my department, (both these guy's boss), is named also named Dave.

So the support manager, manager-dave, tells me that I should help with this, and they need to escalate it up the developer food chain, and it's not a system problem and how day they waste my time and try to dump work on me. I protest, and say "maybe I should help them", but they keep saying "no no no, don't help, tell them it's their job." I go back to the PM, and tell him that I tried to get more data, and I was told by Dave to take it back to you and have you get your developers to escalate it up their side of company, but I'll help however I can.

I get back to the office to an irate director-Dave, the PM called him and said I refused to help them, and I was extremely rude in telling them to deal with it themselves. He wants to know why he, director-dave, told me not to help. Director dave asks me to explain myself, and I tell him I was told by manager-dave. He understands the confusion but proceeds to yell at me for not being helpful, and try to turn it around and get him to take it up with manager-dave, since I did what I was told. He doesn't really get it, and keeps laying into me.

Ugh.

I tell my direct manager, not named Dave, and he's like "eh don't worry about it, no one really is angry, he's just upset at you." What does that even mean? Now the director, that I already have a hard enough time communicating with has an eye on me for no reason, and Manager-dave still doesn't agree that I should help the developers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF1chLj1fro

These are the Daves I know I know, these are the Daves I know.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Pissing me off today:

Ugh.

Far earlier in that chain would have been the point where I start emailing people so I have a text record of the bullshit they're spouting.

I guess I can't say much though, my two immediate superiors have been fighting each other for my dev time and I've been left with my hands firmly tied, doing...nearly nothing. Efficient use of my time, guys, honest.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ursine Asylum posted:

Far earlier in that chain would have been the point where I start emailing people so I have a text record of the bullshit they're spouting.

I guess I can't say much though, my two immediate superiors have been fighting each other for my dev time and I've been left with my hands firmly tied, doing...nearly nothing. Efficient use of my time, guys, honest.

Honestly, it wasn't like a CYA situation. It all went down pretty calmly, and when I talked to the PM he was cool about it, but as soon as my back was turned he called director-dave.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Thanks Ants posted:

Also look at Fortinet.

no please don't it is maybe the worst GUI ever imagined

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Antioch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF1chLj1fro

These are the Daves I know I know, these are the Daves I know.

Dave Capisano
I hardly know him

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

go3 posted:

no please don't it is maybe the worst GUI ever imagined

We have those at this job. I'm not in charge of the network, but I'm the only person in the office with network skill, so I always end up having to work on them. I vomit every time I log in. However I still prefer it to ASA.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I agree that the UI is horrific but there's a lot of stuff that's worse.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Fortinet is good because a large chunk of their documentation is youtube videos, so you can hand them off to junior admins and tell them to get to work :smuggo:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Microsoft's ~cloud~ based services.
Our CRM is completely down now and the boss is supposed to give a demo of it to a client tomorrow morning. There's gently caress all we can do.
Kinda half hoping it stays down so he stops trying to push this garbage.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Google has THE WORST support.

I've been on some online chat with some non-American for 26 minutes and we are only at "can you please verify your UA account number?"

Phone support is even worse: the support technician repeats back everything you just said. I get why they do it but it really just rubs me the wrong way. Conversations could take so much less time if a third of our conversation wasn't what I just said being repeated back at me to fill time while you bang on your keyboard/confirm you actually understood English.

It's like being in an echo chamber with a bad accent machine.

I will say though that it is nice having someone take ownership of issues. I've gotten biweekly status emails for about a month and a half while they gently caress about not fixing the original issue, so at least I know that rather just black holing my problem, their engineers are just phenomenally slow at bug fixing.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 23, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

tomapot posted:

Also anyone on the west coast who is not apologetic about scheduling a late meeting for us east coast people. I'm flexible depending on the importance and my schedule allows but don't expect my to be available at 7pm
Going back a week for this, but goddamn is it way worse to get scheduled for 5AM meetings because stuff just HAS to be done first thing in the (East Coast) AM.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I had loads of fun trying to schedule phone conferences between Central Time and Europe (7 hours difference), especially when the Swedes leave early to "pick up the kids at daycare" when it's a nice day out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I work until 7pm pacific usually and occasionally support a client in Hong Kong. There are only 1-2 hours of business hours overlap when they are in the office 4 days a week and it draws out everything.