Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I think Pope Francis' encyclical is going to be a big deal for American politics, because the GOP can't fool people into thinking that they follow Catholic social teaching anymore. It needs to be remember that he's coming to visit the US in a few months, so talk about Laudato Si will be a big thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

James The 1st posted:

the GOP can't fool people into thinking that they follow Catholic social teaching anymore

Who thought they did in the first place?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Series DD Funding posted:

Who thought they did in the first place?

The major catholic social conservative candidates like Santorum?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One of the ways that the right sank their claws into Catholicism was its views on subjects like abortion, sex education, and availability of contraception. There have actually been an increasing number of cases of Catholic priests and nuns and whatever of various flavors coming out and saying that it's good that the right is against abortion but it's not OK that they're so adamant on loving the poor so hard after they're born. It's becoming more and more apparent that the religious right only harped so hard on abortion because that's what got people to vote. Now people are pointing out that they're massive hypocrites for treating many of the new babies and their parents like hideous leeches that should hurry the gently caress up and starve to death.

It's also been increasingly stated that Jesus would have a few things to say about how the right treats the poor.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

The major catholic social conservative candidates like Santorum?

Santorum couldn't be unaware of Vatican positions on the death penalty and racism.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
I liked Ross Douthat's op-ed on the pope's encyclical. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/21/opinion/sunday/ross-douthat-pope-francis-call-to-action-goes-beyond-the-environment.html?_r=0

He's correct about climate change but it's pretty ridiculous to knock cap and trade in the same document, and it's almost critical of technological society as a whole. I think we should keep ignoring the pope.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Re: The Pope.

The Pope is not going to stop global warming and climate change, but I can't complain about him putting the weight of the catholic church and the papal office behind it. Both for the average joe and politicians, that holds a lot more weight than "evironmental organisation warning #3658".

Honj Steak posted:

The current mass extinction event is the fastest ever, even by conservative estimates.

http://gu.com/p/4ax8d

While this most certainly is exacerbated by global warming, we're only in the beginnings an extinction event in terms of biodiversity. This is as much due to humanity being like a disease vector for introducing new species into previously isolated environments (australia, madagascar, every island basically) and pollution as it is because of climate changes. As such it's more a "homogenization event" in terms of biodiversity than a loss of total biomass. The earth is not going fallow just yet.

That being said, loss of biodiversity can and will be catastrophic for humanity. Loss of biodiversity makes the biosphere much more vulnerable to big environmental changes - like climate change - which again slows down the primary driver of adaptation, evolution. While nature can handle adapting to rapid climate change and warming, it's much less able to do so without significant biodiversity to choose from. The practical effects for humans we already know: Shortage of pollinators is going to hit agriculture hard within the next ten years, agricultural plants adapted to certain climate conditions may suffer massive crop losses within twenty years, and this is concurrent with fresh water loss killing off crops as well, which is concurrent with resource shortage of oil and artificial fertilizer. Monoculture farming is going to need to make some big adaptations, and those might be hit or miss. "Miss" in this case resulting in famine, which will be interesting to see in societies where a full stomach every day is a given fact.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 22, 2015

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Mystic_Shadow posted:

the few hundreds of climatologists working on the topic every single day.
?? Minor point, but it's more like thousands if not tens of thousands around the world, much more than that if you consider the scientists who are not climatologists but are in directly related fields and happen to be working specifically on elements of climate science.

Also I don't think the media/messaging crew on the skeptic side of the fence are going to have even a little bit of trouble spinning their way right through the encyclical. Most of them probably yawned, that poo poo is easy peasy for them at this point.

rivetz fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 22, 2015

tmfool
Dec 9, 2003

What the frak?
New NASA data show how the world is running out of water

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/16/new-nasa-studies-show-how-the-world-is-running-out-of-water/

quote:

More than half of Earth’s 37 largest aquifers are being depleted, according to gravitational data from the GRACE satellite system.

“The situation is quite critical,” said Jay Famiglietti, senior water scientist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California and principal investigator of the University of California Irvine-led studies.

Underground aquifers supply 35 percent of the water used by humans worldwide. Demand is even greater in times of drought. Rain-starved California is currently tapping aquifers for 60 percent of its water use as its rivers and above-ground reservoirs dry up, a steep increase from the usual 40 percent.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

SKELETONS posted:

I liked Ross Douthat's op-ed on the pope's encyclical. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/21/opinion/sunday/ross-douthat-pope-francis-call-to-action-goes-beyond-the-environment.html?_r=0

He's correct about climate change but it's pretty ridiculous to knock cap and trade in the same document, and it's almost critical of technological society as a whole. I think we should keep ignoring the pope.

Its not critical of the of technological society as a whole at all. Its very critical of economic policy based on never ending growth in consumption. Cap and trade is a load of bollocks anyway.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

bpower posted:

Its not critical of the of technological society as a whole at all. Its very critical of economic policy based on never ending growth in consumption. Cap and trade is a load of bollocks anyway.

No, I think you need to understand that markets are the solution to everything, Francis Fukuyama told me so.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

rivetz posted:

?? Minor point, but it's more like thousands if not tens of thousands around the world, much more than that if you consider the scientists who are not climatologists but are in directly related fields and happen to be working specifically on elements of climate science.

Also I don't think the media/messaging crew on the skeptic side of the fence are going to have even a little bit of trouble spinning their way right through the encyclical. Most of them probably yawned, that poo poo is easy peasy for them at this point.

I was going to write thousands but then I knew someone would say "yeah but how many of those tens of thousands actually publish in respected journals and are considered experts of climate change as a whole?" I agree with you though.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

James The 1st posted:

I think Pope Francis' encyclical is going to be a big deal for American politics, because the GOP can't fool people into thinking that they follow Catholic social teaching anymore. It needs to be remember that he's coming to visit the US in a few months, so talk about Laudato Si will be a big thing.

This is something people here get wrong often- conservative Catholics don't give a poo poo what this pope has to say when it comes to issues like this- basically to them unless he's speaking ex-cathedra the popes opinion is as valuable as any other persons. In fact in a weird irony the religion with the most rigid and organized structure has the greatest diversity of opinion. Basically, Red state Catholics will continue to vote R while blue state Catholics continue to vote D, the pope has very little influence on the actual beliefs of US Catholics. Politics drives religion in the US, not the other way around, so despite the centralized nature of the Church, Catholic's tend to have opinions more in line with the opinions of other local religious people and less in line with what the "average" US catholic believes.

So not a big deal at all, the GOP has sparred off with the Vatican before and never had any problems, and over far more contentious issues. I mean poo poo look back at how little John Hagee's "great whore" comment hurt Mccain with catholics in 08 (basically not at all).

tsa fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 22, 2015

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
Global warming is a population issue.
Too much population= too much co2

We can sit and debate the papacy, but we should be arguing condoms for everyone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dahn posted:

We can sit and debate the papacy, but we should be arguing condoms for everyone.

We'll never get the church behind us that way :colbert:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CommieGIR posted:

We'll never get the church behind us that way :colbert:

For most of us it's too late for that anyway.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FAUXTON posted:

For most of us it's too late for that anyway.

:captainpop: :vince: This was better and more subtle than I ever could have done. :golfclap:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If you don't want Maryland to feel like Florida in the summer, stop this climate changin'.

The map compares mean summertime (June, July, and August) temperature in South Dakota, Illinois, and Maryland in 2050 and 2100 under the Reference and Mitigation scenarios to states with similar present-day temperatures. For example, the projected mean summertime temperature in Illinois in 2100 under the Reference scenario (83°F) is projected to be analogous to the mean summertime temperature in Louisiana from 1980-2009 (81°F). In other words, without global GHG mitigation, Illinois summers by 2100 are projected to “feel like” present-day Louisiana summers. The maps are not perfect representations of projected climate, as other factors such as humidity are not included, but they do provide a way of visualizing the magnitude of possible changes in the summertime conditions of the future.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
And what does Florida look like in the Reference scenario? Underwater and on fire?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That's why you gotta live in the PNW, and enjoy your slow slide down to Southern California weather.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

That's why you gotta live in the PNW, and enjoy your slow slide down to Southern California weather.

Is it going to be 101 in Southern California on Sunday like it is here?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

James The 1st posted:

I don't think it will because this is the country that had a freakout when a Catholic was running for president because they feared him to be a vessel for the Vatican.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

computer parts posted:

Is it going to be 101 in Southern California on Sunday like it is here?

It is quite lovely here in 92102 actually. :)

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/San+Diego+CA+92102:4:US

Inland and mountains are baking, however.

http://timesofsandiego.com/life/2015/06/20/inland-heat-expected-to-last-through-sunday/

Pohl fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 24, 2015

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Radbot posted:

Man, gently caress SoCal. I'm moving up to the territories as soon as I can. Global warming can bite me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
SCOTUS defanged the EPA even more :smith:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102789580

quote:

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the Obama administration failed to consider costs when deciding to regulate mercury pollution from power plants. (Tweet this)

In a 5-4 ruling, the court ruled that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency must consider costs before deciding whether regulation is "appropriate and necessary." Justice Antonin Scalia wrote the majority decision. Justices Elena Kagan, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, and Sonia Sotomayor dissented.

Coal stocks, including Consol Energy and Peabody Energy, were trading up after the ruling was released. Utility stocks, however, were mostly unchanged on the news.

The court sent the case back to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, which will then ask the EPA to reconsider its rule-making.

Industry groups and some states appealed after an appeals court upheld the regulation in June 2014.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Think of the money that these poor poor companies might have to pay mr. president

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So if something costs a company $1 million, but the benefit to society is $1 million + 1, is the company regulated according to these new rules? Where's the cutoff - I'm sure a guy at the EPA promising he considered the cost isn't going to be enough.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Radbot posted:

So if something costs a company $1 million, but the benefit to society is $1 million + 1, is the company regulated according to these new rules? Where's the cutoff - I'm sure a guy at the EPA promising he considered the cost isn't going to be enough.

In your example, a company is doing something that does $1 million of damage to society! It is evident that either the company should cover the cost, or the activity should cease. The absence of adequate restitution when companies damage society [which I'm sure we all understand includes "the environment", in this context] is the reason that we're having a discussion about climate change in the first place. And to be realistic, the EPA is never going to add up the full cost of the damage that an activity does, more than likely disregarding geographically- and/or temporally-distant consequences (all burning of fossil fuels, for example, should cease today, if we take account of the consequences of burning them on the people who will be alive in 50-100-200 years time), so, at best, companies will only do reduced damage, not eliminate it, as a result of the legislation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CommieGIR posted:

SCOTUS defanged the EPA even more :smith:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102789580

The EPA already did that, just at a different stage of implementation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/france-loses-enthusiasm-for-nuclear-power/?WT.mc_id=SA_Facebook

God drat it France....

quote:

he host nation for this year’s climate talks is pumping the brakes on one of its most successful ways of controlling carbon.

France, one of the world’s leaders in low-emissions nuclear energy production, may soon diverge from the path that brought it there.

The French get more than three-quarters of their electricity from nuclear power, the largest share of any country in the world. This atomic largesse from its 58 reactors—second only to the United States’ 100 reactors—has made France the largest net electricity exporter on Earth and provided cheap electricity to its residents.

According to the Nuclear Energy Agency of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, France consumed 495 terawatt-hours of electricity, generated 551 TWh and exported 47 TWh in 2013, the most recent data available said. This generation mix has averted 31 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions.

However, in fulfillment of a campaign promise, President François Hollande’s government is aiming to pass legislation in July that will cement a nuclear energy drawdown, bringing nuclear’s share of generation to 50 percent by 2025 in an effort to diversify France’s energy production as the country adopts new targets for cutting greenhouse gas emissions.

The move is a drastic shift for one of France’s iconic industries.

“Nuclear was sort of proof of the greatness of France,” said Bernard Laponche, a French energy consultant who helped develop France’s first generation of nuclear reactors. “It became a source of national pride, and there was never a strict separation between civilian and military affairs.”

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AREVA's massive losses were the sign this was coming, but I didn't realize that all four of their plants under construction are delayed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Antarctica just broke its record: 68 degrees. :smith:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CommieGIR posted:

Antarctica just broke its record: 68 degrees. :smith:

I imagine that would be kinda hard with no sunlight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

I imagine that would be kinda hard with no sunlight.

Ack, sorry, the story is from March:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150331-antarctica-hottest-temperature-climate-change-global-warming-science/

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Hiatus confirmed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You see, when it's summer in the northern hemisphere it's winter in the southern hemisphere so global warming can't exist since it all evens out.

:pseudo:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
So hey, dumb question.

Greg Rucka decided to ruin my whole week yesterday by linking to a bunch of essays by Dahr Jamail at Truthout, concerning mass extinction and the imminent end of human civilization and all that fun stuff. A lot of the related articles are, understandably, discussing methane releases as a feedback mechanism.

There are a fair few projects I can find without working too hard about recapturing and recycling CO2, like the "Sunshine into Petrol" project, but I'm not finding any particular research into methane clathrates/the "clathrate gun" hypothesis aside from "wish real hard and it might go away." Has anyone actually come forward with theories or research about ways to capture the methane before it goes off, or other theoretical solutions? I guess I'm looking for something I could theoretically support as a way to get out of an imminent feeling of doom.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wanderer posted:

So hey, dumb question.

Greg Rucka decided to ruin my whole week yesterday by linking to a bunch of essays by Dahr Jamail at Truthout, concerning mass extinction and the imminent end of human civilization and all that fun stuff. A lot of the related articles are, understandably, discussing methane releases as a feedback mechanism.

There are a fair few projects I can find without working too hard about recapturing and recycling CO2, like the "Sunshine into Petrol" project, but I'm not finding any particular research into methane clathrates/the "clathrate gun" hypothesis aside from "wish real hard and it might go away." Has anyone actually come forward with theories or research about ways to capture the methane before it goes off, or other theoretical solutions? I guess I'm looking for something I could theoretically support as a way to get out of an imminent feeling of doom.

The Japanese have been researching ways to harvest clathrates for decades, since they're a resource poor island nation. However, I think the real answer is we just don't understand the processes at work well enough to even know if trying to do anything specific to the clathrates to reduce their impact the climate is worth it.

We may just have larger fish to fry in terms of spending our resources reducing emissions in the short term rather than attempting to avoid a specific high-impact/low-probabiltiy scenario.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

Wanderer posted:

Has anyone actually come forward with theories or research about ways to capture the methane before it goes off, or other theoretical solutions? I guess I'm looking for something I could theoretically support as a way to get out of an imminent feeling of doom.

I'll just leave this here. I'll warn you that it's probably not what you want to hear, but it's worth it to read through the whole thing, whether or not you agree with the conclusions. And if you do, understand that though there is a great deal of despair to work through when you first learn of these things, there is true peace on the other side, once you reach the point of acceptance. It's going to be a very interesting and probably very scary century to be a human, but no matter the outcome, the game of life will go on. The best thing we can do as a species now is try to make the tough times ahead more bearable for each other and more bearable for the other forms of life we share the planet with. It's going to be OK, dude :sympathy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

We need some more dissonance on this page:

Shell starts drilling for oil in the Arctic this month

• Locked thread