Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Susical posted:

OK, cool. No prob. Is it kosher to send my former managers a nice little email asking to put their name and number down? I only left the company about 3 months ago. (And for some dumb reason I didn't have the reference "talk" when I was leaving).
Yeah, that's a good bet. If for some reason you can't get a hold of them, put down the number for the HR front desk or whoever in HR is responsible for dealing with employment verification.

PS: assuming you're using a third-party headhunter, the recruiter you're talking about doesn't give a poo poo about your references. They're trying to farm you for more contacts that they can try to place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Vulture Culture posted:

Typical punch list for a reference check:

• Whether you worked there during the period you claimed
  • Whether you had the job title and responsibilities you claimed
  • Whether you had the salary you claimed
  • Whether you left of your own accord or were fired/asked to leave

There's not much reason to go beyond that, and most employers are concerned about exposing themselves to legal liability if they do.

Is that legal for them to ask? I thought there were a lot of hoops to jump through before employers could disclose the salary info of their employees, current or former.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Is that legal for them to ask? I thought there were a lot of hoops to jump through before employers could disclose the salary info of their employees, current or former.

My understanding is that they can ask, but the reference is under no obligation to answer (and shouldn't, because demanding salary history is a horrible practice). Also if it's the same industry the employer probably doesn't want a competitor knowing what they pay employees.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

C-Euro posted:

There's a big difference between "what did this person make?" and "did this person make the $X that they claimed?" Most employers would never, ever answer the former (but are under no specific legal obligation not to). Your income is really trivial information to get from a credit check, by the way.

This is why you should never lie on your salary history.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 18, 2015

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 27, 2018

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Had an external recruiter call me, we had a good conversation on my interests and experience, and then he sends me a financial quantitative programming position I'm wildly unqualified for...

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Busy Bee posted:

Had an interview last Friday and was told they have two additional people to interview this week on Monday and Tuesday. Told me I would hear back most likely by end of this week, if not early next week. Last Saturday (Day after my interview), the company created a new job posting for the position I applied for on LinkedIn. I thought it was odd since they informed me that they still had two additional people to interview for the position. I wonder if they are hiring multiple people for the role or if this could be a bad sign that they did not find any good candidates (me).

Also, what is the process like for companies after they complete their round of interviews. In my experience in the past, I've always heard back within 24 - 48 hours after my interview on whether they want to move forward with me. It's been almost a week now and I figured they would be sending out offers after their last candidate on Tuesday.

The company (if they're smart) will always get a formal agreement in place with their first candidate before telling everyone else they didn't get the position which means all the runners up get to sit around and wait. There could also be a situation where the person who signs off on the offer might be out of the office or they weren't sitting down to finalize their candidate list until this afternoon or tomorrow. As much as it'd be nice, most places don't extend a formal offer immediately after all the candidates have been interviewed, plus while it's been a week for you almost, for that candidate on Tuesday it's only 48 hours.

That being said, the job posting going up on LinkedIn isn't a great sign; I'd assume you didn't get it and move on, and try calling mid next week as a follow-up if you haven't heard anything.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

That being said, the job posting going up on LinkedIn isn't a great sign; I'd assume you didn't get it and move on, and try calling mid next week as a follow-up if you haven't heard anything.

Interesting, that's what I assumed as well but if I had my interview end of day Friday and then the job listing was posted on Saturday, would the 5 people who interviewed me have time to get together to even agree to get another listing going? Eh, I'm probably thinking too much into it.... hopefully I'll hear back soon.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
I have an interview next week with the following essential qualifications being assessed

- Client Service
- Teamwork and cooperation
- Dealing with difficult situations
- Reliability
- Ability to communicate effectively

I have good answers lined up for the first three and, I assume, my ability to communicate will be evaluated on my answers to the other questions (correct me if I'm wrong on that). Where I'm a bit stumped is wondering what kind of behavioural questions could be asked to assess reliability. Could someone give me an example or two to prepare for?

Also, I have a couple of questions lined up to ask as well. One of them is to ask what would the next step in the process be; but I'm wondering if it's ok to ask for a rough complete timeline for a successful applicant. The reason being is that I booked some holidays at my current job and I was planning on going out of town for a few days. However, I don't want to book flight/hotel and then find out I need to be around during this time and being out a bunch of money. I don't plan on telling them this at the interview for the record since I'll happily forego my holiday for a chance at this job.
This is for a government position if that makes a difference.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Tell me about a time when someone had to count on you?

Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer/client?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Busy Bee posted:

Had an interview last Friday and was told they have two additional people to interview this week on Monday and Tuesday. Told me I would hear back most likely by end of this week, if not early next week. Last Saturday (Day after my interview), the company created a new job posting for the position I applied for on LinkedIn. I thought it was odd since they informed me that they still had two additional people to interview for the position. I wonder if they are hiring multiple people for the role or if this could be a bad sign that they did not find any good candidates (me).

Also, what is the process like for companies after they complete their round of interviews. In my experience in the past, I've always heard back within 24 - 48 hours after my interview on whether they want to move forward with me. It's been almost a week now and I figured they would be sending out offers after their last candidate on Tuesday.

My company will talk up how great your interview was, how interesting your ideas were and all that and then they will interview the remaining candidates and give the work to someone who already works here and re-post the job ad because it costs very little to go fishing (in their estimation).

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
I have a lot of short term jobs that I have been fried from or quit, also a lot of places I worked were small businesses so the manager has left, or the business has closed. There are also jobs that are completely unrelated to the other. What can I do about this? I common problem I have is that I get hired and work hard, then someone gets hired to do the same job for more money. -Thanks in advance.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I have an interview tomorrow for an Operations Administrator job at the fundraising call centre I work for. I really want the job cause it's better money, slightly more sociable hours and I'm not going to progress as a caller. The job involves managing all the hours for our callers, being responsible for rotas, holidays, sickness and the like. Those are things I've done in the past but on a much smaller scale. Does anyone have any advice for what kind of things I can expect to be asked in the interview?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Rarity posted:

I have an interview tomorrow for an Operations Administrator job at the fundraising call centre I work for. I really want the job cause it's better money, slightly more sociable hours and I'm not going to progress as a caller. The job involves managing all the hours for our callers, being responsible for rotas, holidays, sickness and the like. Those are things I've done in the past but on a much smaller scale. Does anyone have any advice for what kind of things I can expect to be asked in the interview?

Does your company do competency/behaviour based interviews? If so they'll have competencies they're looking for and they should be in the job posting. You should be able via a little digging on the company intranet find out what the possible questions for those competencies are.

From just having assisted in a round of interviews for a similar position I can tell you we were looking for people that could demonstrate that they were organised, knew how to work out what issues they should address and what they should escalate, how to demonstrate that their rostering/planning was effective and occasions where they had to persuade someone to do something they didn't want to do.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Vulture Culture posted:

There's a big difference between "what did this person make?" and "did this person make the $X that they claimed?" Most employers would never, ever answer the former (but are under no specific legal obligation not to). Your income is really trivial information to get from a credit check, by the way.

This is why you should never lie on your salary history.
Your income is not on your credit history.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bikesonyx posted:

I have a lot of short term jobs that I have been fried from or quit, also a lot of places I worked were small businesses so the manager has left, or the business has closed. There are also jobs that are completely unrelated to the other. What can I do about this? I common problem I have is that I get hired and work hard, then someone gets hired to do the same job for more money. -Thanks in advance.

How short term, and what kind of job are you looking to get?

ge.hale
Feb 1, 2006
Is it appropriate to talk about why I'm leaving my current job on a cover letter? I'm still currently employed by my company so it may not be a big deal now but if I'm still applying to jobs after becoming unemployed I feel like it would be a good idea to address it.

edit: forgot to include that I'm being laid off due to a corporate restructure.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I accepted a job offer last Thursday, at which point the HR woman making the offer said they would be performing a background & references check on me (on which the offer was contingent), and mailing me an onboarding packet with stuff like a direct deposit form, I-9, and the like. It's now Monday and I haven't heard or received anything from them (mail comes to my place super-early in the day), would it be appropriate to call and ask what's up or should I give it another day?

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

I'd ask if I were you.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

Last Saturday (Day after my interview), the company created a new job posting for the position I applied for on LinkedIn. I thought it was odd since they informed me that they still had two additional people to interview for the position. I wonder if they are hiring multiple people for the role or if this could be a bad sign that they did not find any good candidates (me).

GobiasIndustries posted:

Not saying this is wrong (because that's impossible for anyone to know really), but in a company any larger than "tiny" or "small" this probably isn't a good event to infer anything from.

Linkedin requires job postings to expire after a certain set period, up to a maximum of 30 days. This expiration may even itself vary based on the package the company purchased with Linkedin that gives them the ability to create job postings. It may very well be that they have someone assigned to automatically renew any open job requisitions when they expire without any input from a hiring manager, whose position also may have little to nothing to do with the hiring process itself.

They really don't lose anything from re-posting an open req even if they're getting down to a very short list of candidates, which is why I said it's not good to infer anything.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Looking for a second opinion on my resume

Like Alder I too am trying to get my foot in the door

for some reason google drive keeps loving up the formatting on my resume

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 22, 2015

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Had a phone interview last Friday that I'm pretty certain I failed. It went a full 25 minutes and I had some good, specific responses, but not enough. I suppose the only way to not be anxious and spew generic crap or not know how to finish a sentence is to practice. May actually look at doing informational interviews in the next few weeks...

Anyone have input on my resume, in the meantime? Every bit of help is appreciated! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-McU4FAON9zSGRPY0xRajNxN1U/view?usp=sharing

PongAtari
May 9, 2003
Hurry, hurry, hurry, try my rice and curry.
I'd like to post my resume on places like Monster, Careerbuilder, etc., but I don't want my address and phone number out in the open for every rear end in a top hat and bot in the world to see. Is it bad form to post a resume with just my city, state, zip, and e-mail address?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

PongAtari posted:

I'd like to post my resume on places like Monster, Careerbuilder, etc., but I don't want my address and phone number out in the open for every rear end in a top hat and bot in the world to see. Is it bad form to post a resume with just my city, state, zip, and e-mail address?
You can leave just your city and create a Google Voice number for headhunting use. Forward it to your real phone or just use it as a voicemail, whatever.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I accepted a job offer last Thursday, at which point the HR woman making the offer said they would be performing a background & references check on me (on which the offer was contingent), and mailing me an onboarding packet with stuff like a direct deposit form, I-9, and the like. It's now Monday and I haven't heard or received anything from them (mail comes to my place super-early in the day), would it be appropriate to call and ask what's up or should I give it another day?

I'd wait till Wednesday unless there was something specifically said or you start earlier. They probably mailed it Friday and may not have shipped it overnight.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fil5000 posted:

Does your company do competency/behaviour based interviews? If so they'll have competencies they're looking for and they should be in the job posting. You should be able via a little digging on the company intranet find out what the possible questions for those competencies are.

From just having assisted in a round of interviews for a similar position I can tell you we were looking for people that could demonstrate that they were organised, knew how to work out what issues they should address and what they should escalate, how to demonstrate that their rostering/planning was effective and occasions where they had to persuade someone to do something they didn't want to do.

Thanks for the advice! I think I gave the best account of myself that I could and there was only one question that I wasn't already prepared for, now I just have to sit and wait :ohdear:

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

ge.hale posted:

Is it appropriate to talk about why I'm leaving my current job on a cover letter? I'm still currently employed by my company so it may not be a big deal now but if I'm still applying to jobs after becoming unemployed I feel like it would be a good idea to address it.

edit: forgot to include that I'm being laid off due to a corporate restructure.

Unless your CV makes no sense without that knowledge, no.

People look to leave jobs for a variety of reasons. If they ask specifically about it ("why are you looking to move?"), then you can answer. The only exception would be if your period of employment was super-short (say, 6 months or less) and so the job looks wierd on your resume.

p

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Susical posted:

I'd ask if I were you.

asur posted:

I'd wait till Wednesday unless there was something specifically said or you start earlier. They probably mailed it Friday and may not have shipped it overnight.

I called her yesterday and it sounds like she might have just forgotten :goleft: But she said she'll come in on Monday and help me fill everything out if she doesn't get to it this week, so it sounds like I'm still on for this new gig.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 17, 2017

Eternal Hobo
Nov 7, 2008
Should I spell out acronyms or leave them alone on my resume? I don't want to add a lot of unnecessary length but I also don't want to confuse some HR person that isn't familiar with them.

Eternal Hobo
Nov 7, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

Welp, I didn't get the dream job I thought I was the perfect fit for :(

I sent an email to the recruiter yesterday and she contacted me earlier today via phone informing me why they decided to move forward with someone else. She said that they wanted more energy from me, more passion for the business, more creative responses to the potential cases they presented to me etc.

I had a feeling that I wasn't getting the job for the last 5 days or so but today it was confirmed. I feel crappy but time to move forward from this.

Sorry to hear this. I was passed over for what I considered a dream job about a year ago and the feeling sucks bad. My best advice is take a day for yourself and then just get back at it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

I sent an email to the recruiter yesterday and she contacted me earlier today via phone informing me why they decided to move forward with someone else. She said that they wanted more energy from me, more passion for the business, more creative responses to the potential cases they presented to me etc.

I had a feeling that I wasn't getting the job for the last 5 days or so but today it was confirmed. I feel crappy but time to move forward from this.
This is hard feedback to process, but at least it's good and honest feedback -- the worst are companies that won't give you any information on how you should land the next job because they're afraid of hurting your feelings. Good luck with the next one!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Busy Bee posted:

I had a recruiter interview me three weeks ago about a sweet job paying $15k more than the one I just accepted. That was the last time I spoke to said recruiter. The fact that they said anything besides "we've decided to move ahead with another candidate, we will keep you on file" is a little amazing frankly, take their advice to heart and win the next interview!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 17, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This sucks dude. Whenever I apply to random jobs and get rejected/ignored, it barely even registers and I just move on. But when you think you found the perfect position in the company you want that is an exact match with your specific skills and you'd be a great fit so you plan and prepare carefully and then it doesn't work out - that does hurt. The last time that happened was quite a WTF moment when my application for an internal position which required an overlap of various niche skills didn't even generate a response beyond the automated rejection.

But as everyone says, getting any kind of constructive feedback is extremely valuable. It's really difficult to improve yourself when you only get binary outcomes.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Eternal Hobo posted:

Should I spell out acronyms or leave them alone on my resume? I don't want to add a lot of unnecessary length but I also don't want to confuse some HR person that isn't familiar with them.

Spell them out once:

Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) Repairman
- Maintained network of 50 ATMs

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Race Realists posted:

Looking for a second opinion on my resume

Like Alder I too am trying to get my foot in the door

for some reason google drive keeps loving up the formatting on my resume

Really need some feedback here, guys :smith:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Race Realists posted:

Really need some feedback here, guys :smith:

Get rid of objective that's a pretty standard suggestion. Weird bullet point below related IT courses I'd delete that. Weird spacing in the middle of your skills fix that. Put experience section at the top since that's the most important. I'd personally get rid of that red line and the border around the thing. Get it down to 1 page. I don't like all the different font sizes you have going on it's disconcerting.

Maybe recreate your resume on Google Docs or export it to a PDF to share because formatting is important and it's impossible to give good input until we can see what it actually looks like.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Try downloading a generic resume template. The constant switch in font sizes and italics is a bit off-putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Got my feedback on my interview today. My potential manager thought I presented myself well, that I had clearly prepped myself a lot and that I knew what I was talking about. I also did really well on the Excel test despite only first hearing about the concepts it required the night before. I got 3 out of the 4 questions right (apparently everyone else scored 0) and even though he could tell they were new concepts for me it was clear that I was picking them up quickly without needing help. I now have a second interview on Friday with the same guy and one of our main shareholders/head of HR which I'm told is "more like an informal chat".

I have no idea what to expect from that. Will it just be a rehash of the first interview? Do I need to prep for a whole load more of potential questions? Will it just be a relaxed 'getting to know you while you get to know us' deal? Does anyone have any advice? It's between me and one other girl and I don't want to blow it now :ohdear: