Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's a notification, not a message. A pop-up message pops up a window (such as when one of your councilors fires an event). Calls to war and marriage requests are notifications, the little circle icons that you see at the top of your screen ("Unmarried heir," "You can press de jure ducal claims," etc.) When one comes in you hear a door-opening sound affect as they appear with a "drop in" animation.

With a call to war you only get like a week to respond before the notification vanishes and you get hit with a Dishonored Alliance penalty, and it's pretty easy for this to happen if you're cruising along at high speed and distracted by something else. You can still go and manually offer to join the guy's war, but it's loving annoying for no good reason.

I.... can't believe I didn't remember this. I'm so used to clicking it and pausing my game that in my head, I just remember it as a pop-up message.

I have played this game for 578 hours. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Keep at it, young padawan. Once you clear 800 it all becomes second nature. :clint:

Note that I have proven several times in this thread that I don't know anything about this drat game

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

My game does this, there should be a way to change the message priority for every message. I thought pausing the game for this one was the default.

After scrolling through the message settings, there's no... uh.... obvious one that says "Ally invites you to war". That's just bizarre.

EDIT: "Betrothal broken" is by default a low priority message, and doesn't even get a dingity-dingity sound effect? The gently caress? That's a pretty big deal.

It's probably because it basically never happens. AI will only break a betrothal if something invalidates the marriage entirely (like one of the members taking the vows or being castrated). Even being at war with a betrothed spouse's realm won't break a betrothal - it just prevents you from honoring it until you make peace. This is why betrothals are a great tool to arrange absolutely terrible deals for the AI - they'll never let you marry their first in line to the empire son matrilineally to your daughter but they'll happily matri betrothe a 4th in line son to her and then still accept the marriage arrangement after you murder the three people in line ahead of him.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

But no, seriously, Pest irl is right on the Danube, isn't it? This has been driving me nuts even since I noticed it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Ofaloaf posted:

But no, seriously, Pest irl is right on the Danube, isn't it? This has been driving me nuts even since I noticed it.

Yes, it is. That's how Budapest works. There's Buda on one side of the Danube, Pest on the other, and the Chain Bridge in the middle. Paradox province names can be only roughly related to the area they're in. See also: Memel in EUIV.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Yes, it is. That's how Budapest works. There's Buda on one side of the Danube, Pest on the other, and the Chain Bridge in the middle. Paradox province names can be only roughly related to the area they're in. See also: Memel in EUIV.
Yeah, but does Pest in the CK2 map even touch the Danube? It's seriously messing with my sense of geography.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

if you think that's bad you should look at the whole armenia/azerbaijan/tabriz region

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Didn't the Caspian finally get moved a bit, though? I thought that would've helped out.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

:whatup:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Since the last patch, is anyone else having problems with the game freezing and needing to be manually killed when you try to exit the game?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Eric the Mauve posted:

Since the last patch, is anyone else having problems with the game freezing and needing to be manually killed when you try to exit the game?

Sometimes yeah, and that's how I deal with it too.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Is there any console way to end a war that you're not personally involved in? I've got a weird situation where Iceland would be totally down to become my vassal, but they're locked in a weird Faroe Islands Catholic Revolt that literally cannot ever end, because nobody has any boats. They're just sitting on various islands shaking their fists at each other for eternity.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Since the last patch forever, is anyone else having problems with the game freezing and needing to be manually killed when you try to exit the game?
Fixed.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Is there any console way to end a war that you're not personally involved in? I've got a weird situation where Iceland would be totally down to become my vassal, but they're locked in a weird Faroe Islands Catholic Revolt that literally cannot ever end, because nobody has any boats. They're just sitting on various islands shaking their fists at each other for eternity.

Use the imprison command to make the leader of one side of the war a prisoner of the other.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Danube thing is so drat old. Prepare for Africa or China to be added before they bother fixing all the map anomalies.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Not sure if it was the update or what the hell happened but the autosaves in my Warhammer game were hosed up something fierce, my Empress was some nurgle demon, mystic secret vampire in all of them. I had to roll back to a save 11 years before, what the hell.

EDIT: Nope, that one's hosed up to. I'm a secret vampire there, some of my vassals are demons, some of my ancestors have turned into them retroactively event though they've been dead for decades. Just going to have to start over. drat. <_<

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 22, 2015

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The Danube thing is so drat old. Prepare for Africa or China to be added before they bother fixing all the map anomalies.

Implying any of the map anomalies will ever be fixed by non-modder sources.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

If you're super salty about province borders, you could always try the Data Driven Map mod.

I don't think it changes anything but the province borders, and yes, it puts Pest on the Danube.

Schlesische posted:

Implying any of the map anomalies will ever be fixed by non-modder sources.

You never know. If they are going to add China they'll probably end up having to reproject the map, which would entail a complete rework. I wouldn't like to be the intern stuck with that job, believe me.

Actually, if they are adding China, that projection the DDM guy is using (the Albers equal-area) is probably the one to go with.

It's equal-area, has startlingly little distortion of shape between the standard parallels, and can fit basically every relevant part of the old world onto the map without also losing swathes of real estate to outer Siberia or wherever.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Adding China to this game is just an atrocity of a terrible idea for a zillion reasons.

Now a standalone China-focused Paradox game, hell yes I'd buy that.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
ck3 requires pops, and the ability to genocide :black101:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Have they said how far east they're going? I thought it was just going to be the steppe area around Mongolia. Going all the way to the Pacific would be a death sentence to most computers.

Bitter Mushroom posted:

ck3 requires pops, and the ability to genocide :black101:
Pretty sure the whole 'Settle Tribe' thing where you replace the local culture with your own is how they model genocide :ssh:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There isn't even a hint that they will include China, it will probably be one of the smallest map expansions CK2 ever had.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Eric the Mauve posted:

Adding China to this game is just an atrocity of a terrible idea for a zillion reasons.

Maybe, but Paradox seem determined to keep pushing the boundaries out, both chronologically and geographically. That genie isn't going back in its bottle. I figure the effort's better spent pushing to make it the best possible Old World 476-1453 simulator than trying to stop it altogether.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

Now a standalone China-focused Paradox game, hell yes I'd buy that.

Gimme a fully voiced three kingdoms game with the actors from the Dynasty warriors series Paradox.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
They need to get working on an actual spherical world map for CK3, so that in 2018 we can play on the entire world circa 1066!

Say, dudes, do you remember my Sonendar fantasy mod?

Sonendar v.107 -- it's compatible to the latest patch! I'm still working on adding all the eight million billion provinces in Not-Africa. Also this is an early version that has all the complicated events and decisions and such stripped out, so it's basically just the default CK2 game on a different map with imaginary cultures and so on. Still, it's nice if you're tired of the old Eurasia map.

I like the new way to set the tech level of places.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 22, 2015

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
I'm playing Norse Ironman. The southern Baltic coast has been under norse rule for several centuries now, though not under me, the Fylkir, and all the holding slots have been filled.

It is in the 1190's at the moment, am I just hosed out of a holy order?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Iceblocks posted:

I'm playing Norse Ironman. The southern Baltic coast has been under norse rule for several centuries now, though not under me, the Fylkir, and all the holding slots have been filled.

It is in the 1190's at the moment, am I just hosed out of a holy order?

Yes.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

If you're super salty about province borders, you could always try the Data Driven Map mod.

I don't think it changes anything but the province borders, and yes, it puts Pest on the Danube.
I've given that a whirl and by God it feels so goddamned weird to see all the CK2 provs on a legit map projection laid out as they should.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm not comfortable with maps that don't have Africa and Greenland equally sized.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Well, I now have motivation for playing a new Norse campaign.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Edison was a dick posted:

Well, I now have motivation for playing a new Norse campaign.

Created by: smoke crack and become a lesbian

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Ironman is a good way to test your patience with this games random events.

Lost an heir then two kings during the course of one war. Warscore was at 94% but the second king dying meant the war ended as the claim was not inherited.
Fairly annoying as I purposely kept put other generals in charge specifically to avoid this situation. To add insult to injury the battles weren't even being lost.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 22, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Marenghi posted:

Ironman is a good way to test your patience with this games random events.

Lost an heir then two kings during the course of one war. Warscore was at 94% but the second king dying meant the war ended as the claim was not inherited.
Fairly annoying as I purposely kept put other generals in charge specifically to avoid this situation. To add insult to injury the battles weren't even being lost.

There is a way to keep your ruler 100% safe if you really want to. You know that your character will always be put in charge of one of your troops if you raise your personal levies, the only way to avoid that is if he is already the commander of another unit.

So to avoid him randomly dying on the battlefield, you park your cheapest retinue somewhere far away from all fighting, and assign your ruler as their commander. Problem solved, you only need to make sure that that unit won't fight with anybody (best park them on a province of your culture and religion with no unrest), and you have to remember to reassign your character as the commander every time your ruler dies.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Torrannor posted:

There is a way to keep your ruler 100% safe if you really want to. You know that your character will always be put in charge of one of your troops if you raise your personal levies, the only way to avoid that is if he is already the commander of another unit.

So to avoid him randomly dying on the battlefield, you park your cheapest retinue somewhere far away from all fighting, and assign your ruler as their commander. Problem solved, you only need to make sure that that unit won't fight with anybody (best park them on a province of your culture and religion with no unrest), and you have to remember to reassign your character as the commander every time your ruler dies.

Actually, there's an even easier way to do it: assign him to be the commander of any unit and then click "resign".

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah and keep an eye on the background of your character's portrait to see if he's leading an army or safely in his castle.

If your character is craven that is. Of course any ruler worthy of their title leads from the front.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, there's an even easier way to do it: assign him to be the commander of any unit and then click "resign".

No, my solution is easier because you don't have to resign each time you raise your levies.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what kind of milk drinker shys from battle?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Christ, Hispania, do you ever just gently caress off?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Torrannor posted:

No, my solution is easier because you don't have to resign each time you raise your levies.

Doesn't leading an army keep some of the Way of Life events from firing?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Spakstik posted:

Doesn't leading an army keep some of the Way of Life events from firing?

It prevents a ton of events from firing, not just the new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Autonomous Monster posted:

Wow, that actually looks really good. It isn't on the Steam Workshop is it? I'd hate to have to actually go and make a Paradox forums account and pick it up.

• Locked thread