Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Lycus posted:

I don't think I'm gonna be able to decide if I like Brink until the second episode. The preview was heavily filled with the pilot's gags.

I could watch an entire season of Robbins being a dick to high level bureaucrats and generals. That was much better than I anticipated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Postal Parcel posted:

So tonight begins the final season of aqua teen
Farewell teen life :911:

I've never seen an episode go off the rails so fast.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had a lot of trouble making it through the season premiere of The Last Ship. It was never a good show per se and struggled to get past the finish line, though last season's finale was quite solid.

Together with the poor reviews for True Detective season 2, things aren't looking up for my returning shows this summer.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I thought Brink was terrible, the writing feels unintelligent and the jokes weren't funny. Especially following Veep.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
True Detective was great tonight imo. I have no idea why people'd let a reviewer decide for em if they're gonna like it or not before even watchin a thing, especially since the majority of internet reviewers are terrible. They're definitely missing out if only for Colin Farrell's performance

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

savinhill posted:

True Detective was great tonight imo. I have no idea why people'd let a reviewer decide for em if they're gonna like it or not before even watchin a thing, especially since the majority of internet reviewers are terrible. They're definitely missing out if only for Colin Farrell's performance

I just finished it and I thought it was a much better opener than the first season.

I also appreciate the California-ness of it all. Takes me back.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Josh Lyman posted:

I had a lot of trouble making it through the season premiere of The Last Ship. It was never a good show per se and struggled to get past the finish line, though last season's finale was quite solid.

Together with the poor reviews for True Detective season 2, things aren't looking up for my returning shows this summer.
Sounds like The Last Ship to me. Or basically most summer genre fare.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shageletic posted:

Really digging Sense8. Its cinematic as all hell, and ambitious too. I'm only on the second episode though, and I feel like I've already gotten a full meal. Cons: there are some side-characters that feel as thin as cardboard, that only exist as fuel for contrived situations, but that's more than balanced by some of its transcendent moments. This show had me in maybe Nomi's second scene in the first ep. Jesus that destroyed me.

But those side characters, oh boy.

You better not be talking about Daniela or Hernando :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Probably more Nomi's gf

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Halt and Catch Fire is so much more interesting now that the writers figured out Joe is a lovely character.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bull3964 posted:

I've never seen an episode go off the rails so fast.

Abraham Lincoln hotdog cat voiced by Justin Roiland in claymation was brilliant

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Thanks to whoever posted that Youtube channel with links to all the introductions/opening credits to 70’s and 80’s shows. There was some shows in there I’ve never even heard of, like Brothers and Sisters which looked like a knock off of Animal House, Billy with Steve Guttenberg, and some cop show called 240-Robert with a young Mark Harmon…

The 1985 ABC Preview promo is worth the price of admission, with Randy Newman’s “I Love L.A.” redone into “It’s On ABC” hyping up Diff’rent Strokes moving to ABC to be shown alongside Webster and Benson and some LA buddy cop show that was a complete rip-off of Beverly Hills Cop down to using the exact same Glenn Frye song. And let’s not forget the premiere of Growing Pains…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66USQHMWo6s

This preview is what counted as a hype trailer/sizzle reel THIRTY YEARS ago.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is that Ron Perlman.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

CobiWann posted:

Ken Levine posted the first Cheers promo on his blog a few days ago. Get hyped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLW-vr1-n7o

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Irish Joe posted:

Ken Levine posted the first Cheers promo on his blog a few days ago. Get hyped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLW-vr1-n7o

This is hilarious, because it seems to not only be working from the premise that NBC having a good comedy is the most surprising thing you could possibly conceive of, but also that an unknown woman telling you that's not the case this year is enough for you to go, "Oh, really? Hmm, well if whoever-this-is said they have a good show, I guess it's true." All while not even hinting at what the show would be about.

Who the hell was this commercial for? The 80's were weird.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hardly surprising it was the lowest-rated show on air in its first season if that's the level of effort they were putting into promoting it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CobiWann posted:

Thanks to whoever posted that Youtube channel with links to all the introductions/opening credits to 70’s and 80’s shows. There was some shows in there I’ve never even heard of, like Brothers and Sisters which looked like a knock off of Animal House, Billy with Steve Guttenberg, and some cop show called 240-Robert with a young Mark Harmon…

The 1985 ABC Preview promo is worth the price of admission, with Randy Newman’s “I Love L.A.” redone into “It’s On ABC” hyping up Diff’rent Strokes moving to ABC to be shown alongside Webster and Benson and some LA buddy cop show that was a complete rip-off of Beverly Hills Cop down to using the exact same Glenn Frye song. And let’s not forget the premiere of Growing Pains…

I remember that reel from when it first aired! Thanks for making me feel ancient rear end in a top hat.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I remember that reel from when it first aired! Thanks for making me feel ancient rear end in a top hat.

Where did it air? Did ABC put aside a half-hour block during its prime-time programming?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TV used to be really, really bad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

For real, remember clip shows?

We take it for granted how much and how good tv is now. Even the crap we get over the summer these days is massively better than what we used to get. Which was nothing but reruns.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CobiWann posted:

Where did it air? Did ABC put aside a half-hour block during its prime-time programming?

Pretty much. I think that one aired on a Friday or Sunday night. All the networks would do stuff like that, sort of like public upfronts. Saturday morning cartoons had their own as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmRjtywNE9U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN-GA5Z0o0I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eitz_-P9OY

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What was the last show to do an honest to god clip show first run episode?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

I know Friends did a few, which I skip on rewatches. The Clerks Animated Series did a clip show in their 2nd episode, with nothing but clips from the first episode. Which should have been funny, but because ABC aired the episodes out of order, that episode aired first, so audiences saw clips of a show that never aired. So that probably doesn't count.

I think NCIS did one pretty recently, too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like Korra had one from the way people were moaning about it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thrawn527 posted:

I think NCIS did one pretty recently, too.

If so I don't remember it. e: no wait, I think I kind of do now.

Pawn Stars does them, but I'm not sure that counts.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

IRQ posted:

If so I don't remember it. e: no wait, I think I kind of do now.

Google tells me it's called House Rules. It was pretty much a clip show, with clips of Ziva and Kate, though it had a new episode plot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Brink is pretty loving funny....

That Asian hooker though.... :dong:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Castle did one a year or two ago.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I miss when the networks would do a 30-60 minute promo in August for all the stuff coming on in the following season. I think they also did a separate one for saturday morning cartoons (rip).

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Community definitely did one at least at s2, maybe even later.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bown posted:

With the way grown adults got super angry and emotional about Korra you can't be sure on anything unless you see it yourself.

Postal Parcel posted:

Community definitely did one at least at s2, maybe even later.

It was a clip show with clips from things that didn't happen. That was the joke.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bown posted:

It did and they had to do it because of how the show was produced. It was something like they had to produce a certain number of episodes but couldn't really afford to do anything other than a clip show.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

CobiWann posted:

Why is this better then any promo any network has done in like 20 years.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

sbaldrick posted:

Why is this better then any promo any network has done in like 20 years.

I admit, the different stars screaming “You’ll Love It!” has been stuck in my head to the point I have to watch the baseball scene from The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! just to get it out of my head…

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know if anybody watched Celebrity Family Feud yesterday (or today on Hulu), but Monica Potter's younger sister is a total smoke show.

And I guess this is kind of an abstract question, but does Steve Harvey's Family Feud typically use black slang for dirty answers? I can't imagine normal people actually said "ham flower" or "papa stopper" on the questionnaire.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

I don't know if anybody watched Celebrity Family Feud yesterday (or today on Hulu), but Monica Potter's younger sister is a total smoke show.

And I guess this is kind of an abstract question, but does Steve Harvey's Family Feud typically use black slang for dirty answers? I can't imagine normal people actually said "ham flower" or "papa stopper" on the questionnaire.

:eyepop:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this? posted:

It did and they had to do it because of how the show was produced. It was something like they had to produce a certain number of episodes but couldn't really afford to do anything other than a clip show.

This is the same thing that happened on Star Trek: The Next Generation with "Shades of Gray," as the production had blown a big chunk of their season budget on "Q Who?" (the one introducing the Borg) and they only had enough money to shoot for three days to produce their contractually obligated 22nd episode. Hence the "Riker has a fever and has flashbacks for 45 minutes" second season finale.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

CobiWann posted:

I admit, the different stars screaming “You’ll Love It!” has been stuck in my head to the point I have to watch the baseball scene from The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! just to get it out of my head…

Also it seems to work a lot better then the upfronts that have been posted on Youtube in recent years which often make shows look way worse then they really are.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I say Ham Flower all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

Is that black slang? I've been black for a while and have never seen or heard the terms "ham flower" or "papa stopper."
To answer your question otherwise though, I put the show on in the background sometimes in the afternoon when nothing better is on TV and a lot of the "dirty" answers are things that would make you say "who the gently caress actually says that?"

• Locked thread