Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I think one exists for Eclipse too.

eclipse has built in tools for removing unused code but its generally meant to be used explicitly like when ur doing clean up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

gonadic io posted:

cross-posting from the CoC get a job thread:

i'm counting this as a win :toot:

assumin that's the company i think it is, :toot: :toot:

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

the talent deficit posted:

clojure's eventual typing is really cool

not familiar with this term so I'm gonna google it and learn something!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Plastic Snake posted:

not familiar with this term so I'm gonna google it and learn something!

pretty sure it just means that it has an optional type system, so you can start out dynamic and eventually add types as you see fit

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Plastic Snake posted:

but of course it has a good test suite to verify correct behavior, right? right??

there's A test suite, no idea how good it is though. no idea what I'll find if and when i get there though. right now i'm just tearing out parts that fail to compile and replacing it with what I assume is the right library or syntax for Rust 1.0 so who the gently caress knows. right now i'm struggling with all the Clone derive attributes that fail.

i generally don't like rewriting things but at the same time i'm not really learning anything about Rust this way and the library is pretty small.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lol if your c# variables aren't all type dynamic

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i literally cannot imagine a scenario where i would want anything other than c#/c++/whomever else style type inference

like are there any actual benefits to dynamic typing or is it all some bizarre misunderstanding

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and i mean "benefit" in the loosest most minimal way possible

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like when i read dynamically typed code i just assume that every interaction with an object has after it a comment that reads something like this:

foo[x] = bar.baz(y); // hopefully this works!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the benefit of dynamic typic has classically been quicker development time due to less typing and type system boilerplate. there might have been some validity to that argument in the past but most popular or new statically typed languages have both reduced the amount of boilerplate and implemented enough type inference that they start to look an awful lot like dynamically typed languages anyway.

i think clojure has a lot of neat stuff but in a way it embodies the absolute worst parts of dynamic languages. lots of just "stuff everything in a map!" going on and even hickey himself endorses this to an extent.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

i literally cannot imagine a scenario where i would want anything other than c#/c++/whomever else style type inference

like are there any actual benefits to dynamic typing or is it all some bizarre misunderstanding

people assume that static typing means java-style static typing and run as fast as they can in the opposite direction.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
java typing is fine.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

java typing is fine.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i agree, a lot of people don't.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

then those same people write a bunch of extra unit tests to make sure that a method doesn't accept a string when it should only work on ints.

we're doomed.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

my new job still lets me use c# every day which is cool and good

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

coffeetable posted:

assumin that's the company i think it is, :toot: :toot:

ya it is

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
java typing was awful when you had to do poo poo like

code:
Map<SomeVerboseTypeName, SomeOtherVerboseGenericType<AndAnotherOne>> map = new HashMap<SomeVerboseTypeName, SomeOtherVerboseGenericType<AndAnotherOne>>();
its fine now tho

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
i think the thought process goes like "types sucks bc you get compilation errors all the time whereas with <plang> it always work right away!!!"

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the other argument is "these nested generic types confuse me. let's not have them"
"futhermore, lists of lists are too confusing. let's not have them"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

anyone else hate type promotion or is that just me

maybe if there was just a set of numeric types that did not promote at least

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
terrible programmers:

is it normal for your employer to forbid a software developer from downloading files at work and instead require he or she submit a ticket to IT saying "please download this file for me"?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

fleshweasel posted:

terrible programmers:

is it normal for your employer to forbid a software developer from downloading files at work and instead require he or she submit a ticket to IT saying "please download this file for me"?

lol

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

terrible programmers:

haha whaaaaaaaat.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jabor posted:

java typing was awful when you had to do poo poo like

code:
Map<SomeVerboseTypeName, SomeOtherVerboseGenericType<AndAnotherOne>> map = new HashMap<SomeVerboseTypeName, SomeOtherVerboseGenericType<AndAnotherOne>>();
its fine now tho

idgi. whats the problem with this?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloody posted:

i like rust type inference better

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

idgi. whats the problem with this?

it's pretty noisy, the type stuff takes up more of the line than the actual expression.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fleshweasel posted:

terrible programmers:

this is what it was like working at a bank

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fidel sarcastro posted:

haha whaaaaaaaat.

followup question: should I be looking for another job

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Valeyard posted:

this is what it was like working at a bank

i once worked as a contractor for a company making ("personalizing") credit cards and i wasnt even allowed to be administrator of my own pc
the it guy i had to ask to log me in administrator account whenever i needed to install some crap quickly went like "alright, im going to type the password now. please make sure you don't look at it" and like an idiot i actually looked away and he had to insist that i definitely should not look at it and he typed it real slowly to make sure i got it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

fleshweasel posted:

terrible programmers:

defense contractor? are you airgapped?

if not then lol no run while you can

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
defense contractor? no. airgapped as in some computers are isolated from the internet? no.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
admin rights is a deal breaker for me. disallowing admin rights is a bad solution to a real problem where there are much better solutions.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

defense contractor? no. airgapped as in some computers are isolated from the internet? no.

yeah, those are literally the only valid reasons i can think of, get polishing that resume

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Having to go through the companies own download centre to grab everything. Oh cool, everything is really outdated. Submit ticket for newer version and it shows up as a hilariously priced reques

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Zlodo posted:

i once worked as a contractor for a company making ("personalizing") credit cards and i wasnt even allowed to be administrator of my own pc
the it guy i had to ask to log me in administrator account whenever i needed to install some crap quickly went like "alright, im going to type the password now. please make sure you don't look at it" and like an idiot i actually looked away and he had to insist that i definitely should not look at it and he typed it real slowly to make sure i got it

lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
gonadic io tell us the company you applied to

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
dynamic typing (done right) is great

I'm pretty sure you guys' brains are broken by coding in dumb languages for so long

Bloody posted:

like when i read dynamically typed code i just assume that every interaction with an object has after it a comment that reads something like this:

foo[x] = bar.baz(y); // hopefully this works!

I have no idea what's your problem here, I mean

foo[x] = (qux_t) bar.baz(y);

like oh my god this piece of poo poo is so much more readable now?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i'm being told to fork a java library and rename the packages to circumvent design problem that results in a class loading error when another project is also using this library.

i can tell them to gently caress off right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

I have no idea what's your problem here, I mean

foo[x] = (qux_t) bar.baz(y);

like oh my god this piece of poo poo is so much more readable now?

there's no good statically typed language where that should be necessary

the question is how confident you can be that bar has a method baz() that takes one argument for which y is an appropriate value and returns a value that is appropriate for whatever future uses will be made of the contents of foo. in statically typed languages, you know this is true because your ide tells you if it isn't. in dynamically typed languages, having this confidence requires either: (a) a good unit test suite, the kind that basically never gets written in practice; or (b) no terrible programmers involved with the code.

e: also i spent today happily writing dynamically typed code without any problems, because often it doesn't matter. but when it does matter, it really matters!

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 22, 2015

• Locked thread