Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Gravel Gravy posted:

A second Democrat has entered the race.

:drat: I never thought I would agree with Billo and Ben Carson in the same week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DaveWoo posted:

Quote of the Morning #2 - "Not everything is about race in this country. But when it is about race, then it just is. So when a guy who has been depicted wearing a jacket featuring an apartheid-era Rhodesian flag walks into a historic black church and guns down nine African-American worshipers at a Bible study meeting, common sense leads one to believe his motivations are based in racism. When the sole adult survivor of the ordeal reports that the killer shouted before opening fire, 'You rape our women and you're taking over our country. And you have to go' — well, that sounds to me a lot like racial hatred.

"Let's call this sickness what it is, so we can get on with the healing. If this were a medical disease, and all the doctors recognized the symptoms but refused to make the diagnosis for fear of offending the patient, we could call it madness. But there are people who are claiming that they can lead this country who dare not call this tragedy an act of racism, a hate crime, for fear of offending a particular segment of the electorate."

~ Dr. Ben Carson

The ultimate broken clock scenario.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

BBC Front Page News: Obama Said the N-Word

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

DaveWoo posted:

Quote of the Morning #2 - "Not everything is about race in this country. But when it is about race, then it just is. So when a guy who has been depicted wearing a jacket featuring an apartheid-era Rhodesian flag walks into a historic black church and guns down nine African-American worshipers at a Bible study meeting, common sense leads one to believe his motivations are based in racism. When the sole adult survivor of the ordeal reports that the killer shouted before opening fire, 'You rape our women and you're taking over our country. And you have to go' — well, that sounds to me a lot like racial hatred.

"Let's call this sickness what it is, so we can get on with the healing. If this were a medical disease, and all the doctors recognized the symptoms but refused to make the diagnosis for fear of offending the patient, we could call it madness. But there are people who are claiming that they can lead this country who dare not call this tragedy an act of racism, a hate crime, for fear of offending a particular segment of the electorate."

~ Dr. Ben Carson

:aaa:

Also, there goes any support he had in the primaries

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Grouchio posted:

Does becoming the Man nullify N-word privileges?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rincewinds posted:

According to :foxnews:, yes! Also, the Fox'n'Friends gang is pretty sure he's just gonna bust it out in the next State of the Union. Seems likely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLA-yums-As

Also, too, why can't Ted Cruz say it?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Grouchio posted:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

According to :foxnews:, yes! Also, the Fox'n'Friends gang is pretty sure he's just gonna bust it out in the next State of the Union. Seems likely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLA-yums-As

Also, too, why can't Ted Cruz say it?

What the gently caress does that dumb poo poo think he's gonna do? "Thank you, and god bless America, my niggas"?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Obama used that word plenty of times when recording the audiobook for his memoirs.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Teddybear posted:

We really need to put Daniel Inouye on a bill. He's cool as gently caress.

As an aside, the segment of Drunk History about Dan Inouye is pretty much the best thing ever to grace television, so watch it.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

drat Obama for disgracing the office of which ten of the first twelve members were literal owners of slaves.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Lemniscate Blue posted:

As an aside, the segment of Drunk History about Dan Inouye is pretty much the best thing ever to grace television, so watch it.

meh

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rincewinds posted:

No, but that's not why they are mad. They're mad because when anyone talks about race it tends to make people more conscious of the rights racist policies and hurts them in the polls.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What the gently caress does that dumb poo poo think he's gonna do? "Thank you, and god bless America, my niggas"?

Yes?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Can he please do this?

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Joementum posted:

This year's highway appropriations bill is titled the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act of 2015.

In other words: the DRIVE Act :negative:

Just begging for a DRIVE ANGRY amendment. :twisted:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Fox's Bill Hemmer: “I mean as a white American, my entire life I know that this is an electric word. And you stay away from it. … This is something that we thought was entirely off-limits and now you have the President using it.”

(taken from TPM.com)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mozi posted:

Fox's Bill Hemmer: “I mean as a white American, my entire life I know that this is an electric word. And you stay away from it. … This is something that we thought was entirely off-limits and now you have the President using it.”

(taken from TPM.com)

and why isn't there a White Entertainment Television? :rant:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mozi posted:

(taken from TPM.com)

Weird it's like...he's not a white guy??? I just don't understand...

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fox News: words are merely sounds pushed out of your mouth, context is meaningless.

Up next, why can't I make that same noise with my mouth? :qq:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mozi posted:

(taken from TPM.com)

Oh he wasn't the first president to say it I guarantee you

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh he wasn't the first president to say it I guarantee you

Isn't Nixon on tape complaining about "niggers" or something along those lines? Hell, Obama might've been the first president that didn't say it.

Hasters posted:

:drat: I never thought I would agree with Billo and Ben Carson in the same week.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/todd-rutherford-bill-oreilly-charleston

You're giving O'Reilly too much credit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmm why do white people want to be able to say the n-word so much?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

White racists mad that he's stealing their word.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sir Tonk posted:

Isn't Nixon on tape complaining about "niggers" or something along those lines? Hell, Obama might've been the first president that didn't say it.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/todd-rutherford-bill-oreilly-charleston

You're giving O'Reilly too much credit.

Welp, nevermind.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

zoux posted:

Hmm why do white people want to be able to say the n-word so much?

So they don't have to turn it off it public obv. Less chance of a mistake.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I must be pretty special because I can walk around in mixed company all the time without living in fear that that word will accidentally fall out of my face and ruin my reputation.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I must be pretty special because I can walk around in mixed company all the time without living in fear that that word will accidentally fall out of my face and ruin my reputation.

Sometimes when you stand over the edge of a cliff sometimes that little voice that says "jump" pops up.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If you're walking around in mixed company all the time you're not the sort of person who struggles with it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

President Obama posted:

“The legacy of slavery, Jim Crow, discrimination in almost every institution of our lives, you know, that casts a long shadow, and that’s still part of our DNA that’s passed on,” the president said during an interview for Marc Maron’s “WTF” podcast that was released on Monday. “We’re not cured of it. And it’s not just a matter of it not being polite to say friend of the family in public. That’s not the measure of whether racism still exists or not.”

Obama Says Totally Reasonable Thing, Republicans Flip Out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Obama Says Totally Reasonable Thing, Republicans Flip Out

Personally, I'm hoping we can distill the complicated and messy reality of the cultural and social causes of the AME church shooting into a highly symbolic and controversial issue that has nothing to do with the underlying causes of violence and racism in America. Any ideas?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The most calculated N-bomb in history. I wonder what went through Marc's head when Obama said it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
:eng101: "Now Jimmy, you can't say 'gently caress.' It is a bad word, and you shouldn't say it in polite company."

:downs: "BUT YOU JUST SAID IT! IT'S NOT FAIR" - a five year old

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

mdemone posted:

The most calculated N-bomb in history. I wonder what went through Marc's head when Obama said it.

"If I get famous enough I won't be able to justify my anger and bitterness about my career anymore"

(I say this as a Marron fan.)

EDIT: Haha his site is getting hammered.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
"I'm not a racist; that's what's so insane about this!"

mdemone posted:

Marc is pretty used to guests saying unexpected things using foul language. Also there's not a comedian out there worth a poo poo who hasn't seriously engaged in what's ok to say and when/why.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

~ Dr. Ben Carson

...:psyduck:

What topsy-turvy world is this where Ben Carson says something I can mostly agree with?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mdemone posted:

"Haha awesome people are gonna be dumb assholes about this and that'll be fun, and I got the fuckin president on my podcast, today's a good day for me" probably.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Weird it's like...he's not a white guy??? I just don't understand...

Actually, I'm pretty sure many white persons could have said the exact same statement and most people would have been okay with. Context matters, and while part of the context is the colour of Obama's skin, it's certainly not the only context.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Radbot posted:

Just take the $1 and put Obama on one side and Anita Sarkeesian on the other

If you are going to put Sarkeesian on a bill put her on the 50 so every time a COD bro buys a new COD she gives him the evil eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

GlyphGryph posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure many white persons could have said the exact same statement and most people would have been okay with. Context matters, and while part of the context is the colour of Obama's skin, it's certainly not the only context.

I'm going to give you some advice. If you are a white person, never say that word out loud. Even alone. In any context. Just don't do it.

• Locked thread