Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm going to hope for MCH changes and just level my NIN for now I guess; I don't know why they though the RNG for 123 combo was a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Hivac posted:

Funnily enough, I gave up on MCH at level 52 because my damage kept continuing to fall off even after getting Gauss Barrel. I cleared the Halatali quest in about half of the amount of time on 51 DRG that it took for me to make it to the end on MCH and die.

Same experience here. At first I thought they just spiked the soloing difficulty and kept trucking on, but after switching back to DRG it was a night and day difference. Gauss didn't make a big difference when I got it/Gauss Round. Class efficiency aside, I would still be leveling MCH if it had less poo poo to push off-GCD (which is less likely to get patched than a damage buff). Rapid Fire is immensely satisfying, but not when I have to load up Wildfire, 3 cross-class buffs, and Reload alongside it all while trying to do my normal 1-2--3 combo.

What I don't get is they gave BRD the exact same cast-time mechanic, but rather than giving the class odd abilities from 56-60 (Rend Mind? Seriously?), BRD gets a ton of QOL abilities tied to Wanderer's Minuet that decreases the action burden of the class (Iron Jaws' DoT refresh) and burst (assuming Sidewinder is bugged and should require Wanderer's Minuet).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
There's a reason why Rei_, Gaga, and I are all sperging over Fell Cleave. It's because we finally get to slap things around for back-to-back 3K crits with i130 gear.

Endgame gear is gonna make it *magical*.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Mr E posted:

How the hell did I miss this, I though it might just be me being really dumb.

It's not intuitive and they focused more on making the buttons match the theme as opposed to like, i don't know, maybe being noticeable

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Which tank class now has the ability to knock back an enemy?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Hey I'm garbage at macros but I need to make one for Living Dead because no one seems to know what it does. Is there a way for it to check if LD actually procs, and if it does, THEN it posts something in chat? (If I activate LD and get to 0 HP I get a different debuff, so ideally it will only say something like "hey you need to heal at least 100% worth of my HP or I'm gonna die", otherwise I don't want to bother posting that)

also it's weird because the tooltip makes it sound like I need to be at 100% HP, but I just need to be healed for 100% of my HP, which is nice but still confusing

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

There's a reason why Rei_, Gaga, and I are all sperging over Fell Cleave. It's because we finally get to slap things around for back-to-back 3K crits with i130 gear.

It's all good. Souleater has the benefit of being a functionally constant combo ender, especially if you DPS. And of course Carve and Spit is 450, although that comes with a minute cooldown. It's a good time to be tank DPS.....and I guess Paladins got stuff, I don't know, their heal looks cool.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Thumbtacks posted:

Hey I'm garbage at macros but I need to make one for Living Dead because no one seems to know what it does. Is there a way for it to check if LD actually procs, and if it does, THEN it posts something in chat? (If I activate LD and get to 0 HP I get a different debuff, so ideally it will only say something like "hey you need to heal at least 100% worth of my HP or I'm gonna die", otherwise I don't want to bother posting that)

also it's weird because the tooltip makes it sound like I need to be at 100% HP, but I just need to be healed for 100% of my HP, which is nice but still confusing

No, macros don't have conditional logic, and cannot be triggered by game events.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I'm fairly new , have a level 17 Rogue so far. Is there any reason I should go ahead and pick up the expansion tomorrow or is it all late game stuff?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's all good. Souleater has the benefit of being a functionally constant combo ender, especially if you DPS. And of course Carve and Spit is 450, although that comes with a minute cooldown. It's a good time to be tank DPS.....and I guess Paladins got stuff, I don't know, their heal looks cool.

Paladins were in a really weird position going into HW because they really had no holes so they just wound up getting even tankier and finally had that one combo flesh out

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Thumbtacks posted:

It functions exactly like one of the mechanics in the Siren fight in Pharos Sirius. The effect ends once you hit full health. Also no, there is no way to have the macro go off only after you have "died". Best you can do is "Yo! I popped Living Dead! I'm about to die from something probably, so let me die! Remember to heal me back to full though after or I'll actually die for reals! Thanks!"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's nice of him to make some provolone for you. Was it tasty?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I haven't played AST yet, but looking at their abilities, it seems like it outclasses WHM in every way. What's the benefit to sticking to WHM now?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Friends have asked me why I am bothering with roulette for post-50 leveling. Here's some rough numbers in case other people aren't aware!

High Level roulette is worth about 13.5% of a level.
Main Story roulette is about 13.5%.
Low Level roulette is about 18.5% and gives kill exp*.
Trial roulette is about 7%.
Guildhest roulette is about 3% and gives kill exp*.

I don't think Trial roulette is particularly worth it because you can spend half an hour wiping in Chrysalis or whatever. Guildhests take like, five minutes tops. So basically about half a level a day if all you do is run roulettes.

*this isn't super significant but it's still a non-zero number.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's a fun thing some people might not have figured out: you get 18000 experience for finding vistas in HW. The vistas are clearly marked by a sparkle, and there are no time or weather conditions for them. All you have to do is stand on them and use the right emote (usually /lookout or /pray).

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

seiferguy posted:

I haven't played AST yet, but looking at their abilities, it seems like it outclasses WHM in every way. What's the benefit to sticking to WHM now?

It really doesn't. It's slightly weaker than WHM at raw healing, and slightly weaker than SCH at shielding. WHM is still going to be King poo poo of raw healing, so if that's why you liked that job then keep with it. That said, AST is super fun and has really nice utility that can't really be replaced with the other two healer jobs.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

LoG posted:

I'm fairly new , have a level 17 Rogue so far. Is there any reason I should go ahead and pick up the expansion tomorrow or is it all late game stuff?

I don't think you should because you literally have only started a tiny part of the game. Wait till the end of the trail if you're on it to decided if you want to sink a bunch of money into this. The content will still be there and people will still be running it to get gear

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

BERGfu posted:

I don't think you should because you literally have only started a tiny part of the game. Wait till the end of the trail if you're on it to decided if you want to sink a bunch of money into this. The content will still be there and people will still be running it to get gear

Thanks, it's too late about sinking money since I've already bought 2 copies! Loving the game so far but I wasn't sure if there were any QoL additions or anything like that.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

LoG posted:

Thanks, it's too late about sinking money since I've already bought 2 copies! Loving the game so far but I wasn't sure if there were any QoL additions or anything like that.

You can't even access the new stuff until you finish the original main story quest. There's no reason to spend the money now.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Tsurupettan posted:

Friends have asked me why I am bothering with roulette for post-50 leveling. Here's some rough numbers in case other people aren't aware!

High Level roulette is worth about 13.5% of a level.
Main Story roulette is about 13.5%.
Low Level roulette is about 18.5% and gives kill exp*.
Trial roulette is about 7%.
Guildhest roulette is about 3% and gives kill exp*.

I don't think Trial roulette is particularly worth it because you can spend half an hour wiping in Chrysalis or whatever. Guildhests take like, five minutes tops. So basically about half a level a day if all you do is run roulettes.

*this isn't super significant but it's still a non-zero number.

That's without armory bonus, right?

I'll probably end up leveling one or two things through High Level roullette just to finish that awesome magitek armor collection for glamours.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, they weren't huge dicks about putting anything QoL related behind the expansion. They managed to keep dungeons relevant for two years before this expansion and so far the roulettes don't seem to be going anywhere, so there's no reason at all to worry about not having people to do content.

That being said, holy poo poo am I upset I'm having to do all this story poo poo at once, so much people standing around uggggh. And I hear 2.5 and 2.55 get worse on that front.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 22, 2015

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Counterpoint: you have merely hours left to pre-order the game and get your pre-order bonuses, if that strikes your fancy.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Flying Fat Chocobo isn't a preorder bonus so that doesn't matter :colbert:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Minrad posted:

That's without armory bonus, right?

Correct. This is me pulling numbers from leveling my highest job.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Meanwhile, the MSQ is rapidly going into :unsmigghh: territory.

And I'm not even at 60 yet!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Deliverance finally delivers (heh) on the thematic promise of Warrior: a tank that can absolutely wreck poo poo. I am consistently out dpsing the actual DPS right now and it's amazing, and way more challenging and fun as staying in Deliverance requires way more careful and fiddly threat management.

I'm excited to see how it goes when I finally have all of the skills and get a lot more practice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

We talked about it for a while in PBC FC yesterday, but let's talk about { Dark Arts }. What do you all tend to use it on, and when do you not use it? I'm finding it sort of unsafe to use at below 50% mana; and unless you're at full mana using it with Dark Passenger is practically a death sentence.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Boten Anna posted:

Deliverance finally delivers (heh) on the thematic promise of Warrior: a tank that can absolutely wreck poo poo. I am consistently out dpsing the actual DPS right now and it's amazing, and way more challenging and fun as staying in Deliverance requires way more careful and fiddly threat management.

I'm excited to see how it goes when I finally have all of the skills and get a lot more practice.

What does Deliverance itself do? Do you lose the mitigation from Defiance while it's up?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So I've got my first job to 46 and quests seem to have just stopped. The next story quest is at 49. Am I just supposed to run dungeons over and over?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ethiser posted:

So I've got my first job to 46 and quests seem to have just stopped. The next story quest is at 49. Am I just supposed to run dungeons over and over?

or fates, yes

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm enjoying doing the story live with so many other folks. The Churning Mists was really cool because there were streams of warrior bands going up the path, and everyone was just killing everything in sight, so you'd be fighting both your quest marks and theirs and everybody's just cleaning house. It felt great, like we were storming the mountain, hunting dragons.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Ethiser posted:

what swordsman said and maybe your hunting log and challenge log

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

That guy is from my server and he's an idiot. I'm honestly surprised you found him doing something other than sitting in PF advertising his FC.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

What does Deliverance itself do? Do you lose the mitigation from Defiance while it's up?

You get a 5% DPS increase (sounds small but remember the previous WAR DPS stance was "turn defiance off" and it was still good) and generate stacks of Abandon instead of Wrath, switching stances also converts the stacks to the appropriate ones. Each stack of Abandon increases your crit rate and at 5 stacks you can use Fell Cleave which does ridiculous damage (I had one crit for 3700 last night), or an AOE I don't have yet. Lining everything up so you berserk, maim, storm's path, internal release, and then Fell Cleave, Infuriate, Fell Cleave does ridiculous and hugely satisfying amounts of damage.

The new ability that parries from the front (name escapes me at the moment) also generates a stack of wrath/abandon, so along with Vengence and Berserk you can turbo up more stacks to get more Fell Cleave in, especially during berserk.

I'm excited for the level 58 ability too, which is a self cure in defiance and gives you 400 TP in deliverance. I have sacrificed so many virgin goats to the dark lord praying for a TP restore ability. So many.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the dark souls dungeon at 57 is awesome

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think it's interesting that some NPCs seem to mix and match racial body models. For example, Lucia is a hyur with an elezan body, and there's another NPC later on who is an elezan with a midlander body.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I'm at 57 currently should I just do the MSQ till it's red then pound out side quests? Also either I am blind but I haven't found one quest that rewards bracers

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Minrad posted:

the dark souls dungeon at 57 is awesome

I know, right?

Fister Roboto posted:

I think it's interesting that some NPCs seem to mix and match racial body models. For example, Lucia is a hyur with an elezan body, and there's another NPC later on who is an elezan with a midlander body.

Funny thing about that....

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Fister Roboto posted:

Pureblood Garleans actually tend to have elezen models, Cid is the one exception who doesn't. It's why Nero or Gaius were so tall, and especially evident on Nael. As for Hilda, she's our resident half breed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fat_Cow posted:

I'm at 57 currently should I just do the MSQ till it's red then pound out side quests? Also either I am blind but I haven't found one quest that rewards bracers

Doing every side quest and lldr once per day will get you to 58 and two thirds or so when the msq wants you to be 59, with no gaps at lower levels. This will happen again for level 60. If you're earlier than that, just do lldr or quests, if you're there, run dungeons.

Also remember the new personal hunts unlocked at 53, 56, and 59 give a good chunk of exp and a head start on getting the carbontwine/carboncoat equivalent.

• Locked thread