Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

They count for more than they used to because they are more often than not keeping people up to date on a game's status than they used to.

Yeah, this is true actually, though I had forgotten that they started doing this. I just automatically link S-E and incompetence and being lovely in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Electromax posted:

I'll go ahead and guess 7/7/17.

I'm sure that's their dream. I can't see it ever happening though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They managed to push out A Realm Reborn super fast

Though that required all hands on deck and the leadership of YOSHI-P, so eh

Terper fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 22, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

31/1/17 would be the 20 year anniversary, that'd be a cool date to aim for

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Then again I was lollin at KH3 but they showed (supposedly) actual gameplay at E3 so who knows

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Unreal 4 looks really good

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

But that is not how Square and Final Fantasy has worked, ever.
-he says about the game right before the 13 trilogy

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Terper posted:

They managed to push out A Realm Reborn super fast

Though that required all hands on deck and the leadership of YOSHI-P, so eh

A Realm Reborn took like 2 years of intensive work, recycled lots of existing assets and has a totally different framework to FF7.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Then again I was lollin at KH3 but they showed (supposedly) actual gameplay at E3 so who knows

They showed gameplay two years ago, except this time they're not using recycled areas and enemies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I started FF4 again and this time I'm actually going to finish it for the first time ever.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
which version are you playing?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Onmi posted:

Not really, it's Vaan's past and his similarities to Ashe which makes it work. You do not have to like a character, because obviously you don't have to like anything. But there's a difference between not liking something and being wrong. If you don't like Vaan? it's fine. If you think he's not relevant or can remove him from the game, you're just wrong.

Well I thought the plan would be to release the remake, and when everyone innevitably hates it because it can't live up to the hype, even if it's a direct... transcription? of the original game? People are going to hate it. Anyway, then you release the port and it's like "Well you didn't like that, here's that thing you like." and profit!

Vaan sucks and is annoying so if the plot indeed could only work with Vaan in jt then it is a bad plot

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
is Nier fun

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

fronz posted:

is Nier fun

Nier is a decent game propped up by a lot of uniqueness and a great story so I would say it is fun.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

fronz posted:

is Nier fun

Just get the soundtrack.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Is 12 supposed to be really short? Because I'm like 8 hours in and I already escaped the tomb and blew up the Shiva.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Is 12 supposed to be really short? Because I'm like 8 hours in and I already escaped the tomb and blew up the Shiva.

have fun walking across empty areas for the next four hours or so as that's the main way they got 12 to be as long as previous games

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fronz posted:

is Nier fun

the gameplay's ok. the writing's really good though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

I did most of the side stuff and I think I had like 70-80 hours on my file by the time I stopped

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

How long is FFX supposed to be? I just got to Guadosalam and I'm sitting at 22 hours at this point.

I'm not planning to do post game stuff or whatever just want to see the credits roll.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Here is a useful resource https://www.howlongtobeat.com

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

corn in the bible posted:

Vaan sucks and is annoying so if the plot indeed could only work with Vaan in jt then it is a bad plot

This guy gets it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Skeezy posted:

How long is FFX supposed to be? I just got to Guadosalam and I'm sitting at 22 hours at this point.

I'm not planning to do post game stuff or whatever just want to see the credits roll.

You're like a third of the way through the story. It's REALLY long.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Failboattootoot posted:

Nier is a decent game propped up by a lot of uniqueness and a great story so I would say it is fun.

Is there a PC version?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nope.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

have fun walking across empty areas for the next four hours or so as that's the main way they got 12 to be as long as previous games

waking across those empty areas was cool though cuz it made the world feel alive and immersive

and the music was cool too

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

corn in the fridge posted:

waking across those empty areas was cool though cuz it made the world feel alive and immersive

and the music was cool too

we may be corn brothers but i must disagree

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Are you saying Yuffie works at Square-Enix?

Beef Waifu posted:

She actually runs the company right now which is why everything is so crazy.

She stepped down a while ago, but all the employees were shuffled around to different departments randomly and the current CEO never figured out who was originally where.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vaan is there because some rear end in a top hat wanted some nobody kid to be part of the main storyline, but they made that call after the game was put together with Basch and Ashe in the lead, so what you get are dialogue sequences with Basch and Ashe in the foreground talking about plot poo poo with Vaan dicking around with Penello in the background and eventually wondering when these boring-rear end adults are gonna shut the hell up and get back to walking.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I just got back into playing Final Fantasy XII and noooo, Larsa, don't leave the party. I'll miss your infinite hi-potions. Just replace Penelo, she's useless anyway.

The voice acting is fantastic (aside from Al-Cid, who has the worst Spanish accent I've ever heard) but some of the scenes with the judges are hilarious. They wear these big heavy helmets so there's an echo-y thing going on with their voices. But then you hear another character, who doesn't have a helmet, speak and he's got the same thing going on. The audio quality might as well be from a PS1 game.

The story is a lot more engaging than I remembered but then again, there were just too many big words for my 12 year old brain to handle. It's a shame there's not much character development though.

This is such a relaxing game to play. You barely even have to press any buttons, all you really have to do is glide around the map and take in the awesome visual design.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 22, 2015

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Probably realized that the PS4 doesn't natively support the low effort MIDIs they'll put in the PS4 version because Square-Enix are dumb so they spent time developing a custom soundfont to play them only to realize it's probably a better idea to just use the PS1 version's music.

They actually did patch back in the PS1 music in the PC port, so the PS4 version shouldn't have the awful MIDIs

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It's going to be hard to distinguish all these corn-based usernames.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Is there a PC version?

No, but I have a bizarre hope that since NieR 2 is apparently a thing that will exist that maybe they'll actually port NieR to PC at some point.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

many johnnys posted:

She stepped down a while ago, but all the employees were shuffled around to different departments randomly and the current CEO never figured out who was originally where.

:golfclap:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF4 PSP looks really good, why do all the 16-bit iOS ports look like garbage?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

FF4 PSP looks really good, why do all the 16-bit iOS ports look like garbage?

On top of other laziness, the character sprites are edits of FF Dimension sprites that were edits of FF6 sprites.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Now I remember why I never finish FF4, dear god the encounter rate.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

fronz posted:

is Nier fun

NieR is really ugly and not fun to play. I got insanely bored three hours in and thought the writing was bad but everyone claims it's amazing so maybe there's some crazy plot development later on I can't comment on.

Long story short game sucks except the soundtrack which is secretly the greatest video game soundtrack ever created.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

FAUXTON posted:

Vaan is there because some rear end in a top hat wanted some nobody kid to be part of the main storyline, but they made that call after the game was put together with Basch and Ashe in the lead, so what you get are dialogue sequences with Basch and Ashe in the foreground talking about plot poo poo with Vaan dicking around with Penello in the background and eventually wondering when these boring-rear end adults are gonna shut the hell up and get back to walking.

This is brutally wrong. The idea of Basch being the protagonist was thrown out before there was even art for the game. Beyond that, Basch barely has any lines in the game. The actual story, if anyone gives a gently caress, is Matsuno's pitch for the game placed Basch in the protagonist role, but it didn't test well it test groups, so it was changed, this is before development on the game had actually begun. The first character to be drawn was Vaan, under the name 'Aqua' he was the last character to be created and the first to be drawn. From there the games story was developed, the first picture we saw about FFXII was Vaan in the Salikawood, which was the first environment made.

Thank you though for proving my point that people don't actually remember the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The writing in Nier is good, but I felt the poo poo with the Shades was always incredibly hamfisted and people in the LP thread bitching about Nier doing what he did are dumb.