Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tallgeese posted:

That's what he was saying, yes; arena uses SL.

Did they add that for Scholar? I thought it used to be anything goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RBA Starblade posted:

Did they add that for Scholar? I thought it used to be anything goes.

It's in DX9 too, they changed it over with the Scholar patch.

Alabaster White posted:

Wait, so the game actually has functioning and implemented SL matchmaking code for the arenas? There's actually somewhere to PVP reliably now without worrying about micromanaging your soul memory????

Unless you're doing low level PvP, you don't really have to micromanage your SM all that much. The important thing is to avoid letting it balloon out of control.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Unless you're doing low level PvP, you don't really have to micromanage your SM all that much. The important thing is to avoid letting it balloon out of control.

I plan on going to NG++ on this character for 100% spell library and achievements :(

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Alabaster White posted:

I plan on going to NG++ on this character for 100% spell library :(

...Yeah, that's a situation where SM ballooning out of control is a real concern. You should probably just keep the Agape Ring on at all times. :shrug:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

...Yeah, that's a situation where SM ballooning out of control is a real concern. You should probably just keep the Agape Ring on at all times. :shrug:

Yeah, I was going to slap it on after I finish NG and get to SL150, and once you get to that point you can completely sustain yourself without spending any souls thanks to the Shulva tree and Ascetics. The real issue is buying all those goddamn spells which will put a big dent in my budget. At least I can put them to good use, since Soul Vessels are actually very useful for this game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I did the first time I saw him as a helper phantom and he killed me before I could even reach him. Maybe it was just because the dragon was already awake, but there's not enough time to get to him between his flamethrowers (I timed my run right after one ended and the second started just before I reached him and it stunlocked me to death). When I fought him in my world, I didn't feel like dealing with that and used the traditional Souls game method of dragon slaying: I shot him with arrows for like five minutes and then he died. :effort:

I did kill the first Pursuer without taking any damage though so I feel good about that. Oh well, four bosses down in about three hours of playtime is maybe a little worse than I'd expected when I started this playthrough but they changed so much and it's really throwing me off. Most of it is really cool though, I just didn't like that dragon.

The dragon is pretty bullshit because there is almost no way to make it past the fire once it's already woken up so your only choice is to get out a bow or crossbow and play dragon clicker for a couple minutes.

You can get to it in time when it first wakes up if you start sprinting the moment you reach the top of the stairs.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The dragon is pretty bullshit because there is almost no way to make it past the fire once it's already woken up so your only choice is to get out a bow or crossbow and play dragon clicker for a couple minutes.

You can get to it in time when it first wakes up if you start sprinting the moment you reach the top of the stairs.

Make it spew fire to the right side, cross over the bridge from the left side. Thats how I always do it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When I ran out of arrows I summoned phantoms to go get torched for me so I could walk up to it safely. Thanks phantoms.

Thantoms.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 22, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I found the Dragonslayer crescent Axe and while I like the moveset, my experience with axes on DS1 wasn't too good. I've read that people use this one on PVP, so might have a pve use afterall?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Well, the difference is that axes in DS1 blow rear end while axes in DS2 have good and reasonable movesets.

Dragonslayer Crescent Axe is totally reasonable.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Bandit Axe is loving OP in this game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Well, the difference is that axes in DS1 blow rear end while axes in DS2 have good and reasonable movesets.

Dragonslayer Crescent Axe is totally reasonable.

Upgraded it to +2, this poo poo hits really hard and is awesome for 1h+shield. What a good surprise as it has some lighting damage aswell.

Fake edit: Just checked wikidot, I upgraded it to +2 but seems that it retains lighting damage even if you upgrade it to any other way other than basic wich is really cool.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Went NG+ instead of another NG, and my god dual-wielding Red Iron/Regular Twinblades is too much fun. I love the power stance moveset and the bosses (so far) drop like flies. gently caress it, no shield. In my stylish Hunter's Hat and Leather Armor, I will conquer this game again :black101:

If I'm reading the upgrade page correctly, I'd be okay with infusing Lightning in the Red Iron TB at +10? Scaling remains at B it looks like

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yes, I pretty much love this game. I'm glad I waited for so long to play DS1 so I could enjoy this game right after it. I kind of miss the interconnected world of DS1 but this game makes much more sense (cept for those loving petrified dudes blocking my path, that branches are hard to find :argh:). Will I get hosed if I use the branches as soon as I find petrified people? so far I used one where the dwarf with the blue sword was unlocking a big zone of forest (where the guys with huge guts and hollow knights are) and the one on the starting zone wich seemed to be really stupid to do.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tran posted:

While it does't address your real point, ultra greatswords can be used to detonate explosive barrels :eng101:

Any weapon that causes sparks when it hits stone can detonate explosive barrels.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Guillermus posted:

Yes, I pretty much love this game. I'm glad I waited for so long to play DS1 so I could enjoy this game right after it. I kind of miss the interconnected world of DS1 but this game makes much more sense (cept for those loving petrified dudes blocking my path, that branches are hard to find :argh:). Will I get hosed if I use the branches as soon as I find petrified people? so far I used one where the dwarf with the blue sword was unlocking a big zone of forest (where the guys with huge guts and hollow knights are) and the one on the starting zone wich seemed to be really stupid to do.

The starting zone statue was probably a waste, but the one you used for Rosabeth was certainly not. If you explore in those areas you'll find more branches, iirc.

I'm thinking about rerolling my DEX/HEX chick into something that carries Big Fuckoff Axes. What sort of stats should I be shooting for, and what axes would y'all recommend? I think I'm around SL200 so I have plenty of points to play around with.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Well it kind of depends: there are two types of the greataxes and they have different movesets. The low-held double-bitted ones are basically slower straight swords, and they own a ton but have poo poo range. The high-held single-bitted ones are basically worse greatclubs on average. (Like, there's no reason to use the Drakekeeper Greataxe over the Great Hammer with the exception of the greataxe being guaranteed and the great hammer needing to be dropped.)

The Black Knight Greataxe is a combination between the two it's held high and has the reach of the high-held greataxes but has the moveset of a low-held one, which makes it rad as hell. It's got high stat requirements though. Also notable is that it has a really fast parry for a large weapon.

My recommendations are either Gyrm Greataxes if you just want to go all strength, or Black Knight Greataxe if you want to spread your stats out a bit.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

EC posted:

The starting zone statue was probably a waste, but the one you used for Rosabeth was certainly not. If you explore in those areas you'll find more branches, iirc.

The tutorial statue guards an Estus Flask Shard, there are worse places to use them.

Guillermus posted:

Nah, there are plenty of branches strewn about. If you somehow manage to run out before clearing all the statues, there's at least one branch that you can farm using ascetics. And yes, Gavlan rules.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Well it kind of depends: there are two types of the greataxes and they have different movesets. The low-held double-bitted ones are basically slower straight swords, and they own a ton but have poo poo range. The high-held single-bitted ones are basically worse greatclubs on average. (Like, there's no reason to use the Drakekeeper Greataxe over the Great Hammer with the exception of the greataxe being guaranteed and the great hammer needing to be dropped.)

The Black Knight Greataxe is a combination between the two it's held high and has the reach of the high-held greataxes but has the moveset of a low-held one, which makes it rad as hell. It's got high stat requirements though. Also notable is that it has a really fast parry for a large weapon.

My recommendations are either Gyrm Greataxes if you just want to go all strength, or Black Knight Greataxe if you want to spread your stats out a bit.

Drakekeeper Greataxe is one of the beast greataxes, on account of its r2s which aren't just the same old boring overhead.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Genocyber posted:

Drakekeeper Greataxe is one of the beast greataxes, on account of its r2s which aren't just the same old boring overhead.

Most of the Drakekeeper weapons are awesome.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I feel like Colonel Volgin with these spiked fists. All I need to do is add lightning and find something that resembles an orange jumpsuit.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Genocyber posted:

Well yeah, but I'm pretty sure the Drakekeeper Great Hammer has the exact same moveset while doing like 10 more points of damage and being all strike damage. There's just no reason to use it aside from style points.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Safety Scissors posted:

Any weapon that causes sparks when it hits stone can detonate explosive barrels.

Yeah I kinda' expected something like that would be the case. Just never had any real cause to check.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I am in this Pharros area just before Tseldora. I have like 5 Lockstones... and there are ALL these doors. The possibilities have frozen me. Help!

[fakedit] While typing this, I got pulled into a world and attacked someone and killed them. (or more importantly, was attacked, but triumphed.) I got a Lockstone. I guess this is how I earn enough?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Most of the doors are just traps. A few have some decent items. If you dont care about the covenant then just use a wiki to check whats worth getting. Note that if you want to use the place as a trap then you don't want to open all of them, some of them make the traps useless.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Iretep posted:

Most of the doors are just traps. A few have some decent items. If you dont care about the covenant then just use a wiki to check whats worth getting. Note that if you want to use the place as a trap then you don't want to open all of them, some of them make the traps useless.

Thanks. I'm getting my poo poo pushed in by the giant rat. I just can't clear enough space to heal, and the dodge timing is weird.

[edit]

NM was just having issues with the lock on tracking. Getting under the Rat Giant was easy and then I only got hit once.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 22, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So I've been kicking around a STR build, I was thinking either the Drakekeepers GH or GS. This is what I got:

http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls2/19091

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Feenix posted:

I am in this Pharros area just before Tseldora. I have like 5 Lockstones... and there are ALL these doors. The possibilities have frozen me. Help!
As you enter the Doors of Pharros, there's a three-slab door to your right. The lock for the bottom slab that will allow you to enter is underwater in front of the door. Inside are a Mastodon and Santier's Spear.

At the opposite end of upper level of the second large room in the Doors area is a lock that will open a doorway underneath it on the lower level. The doorway leads to an upwards winding ramp and a treasure chest that contains some twinkling titanite and a faintstone.

Other than that, the only interesting thing are some titanite chunks in a trapped chest on the upper level of the second cavern, and that doesn't require any lockstones.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Paracelsus posted:

As you enter the Doors of Pharros, there's a three-slab door to your right. The lock for the bottom slab that will allow you to enter is underwater in front of the door. Inside are a Mastodon and Santier's Spear.

At the opposite end of upper level of the second large room in the Doors area is a lock that will open a doorway underneath it on the lower level. The doorway leads to an upwards winding ramp and a treasure chest that contains some twinkling titanite and a faintstone.

Other than that, the only interesting thing are some titanite chunks in a trapped chest on the upper level of the second cavern, and that doesn't require any lockstones.

Thanks!

Also RatBroing for like 30 minutes has given me a fuckload of Pharros Lockstones.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not for lack of enjoyment, but let's just assume I'm a dad with a second kid on the way and lots of games to play and that I am not LIKELY to NG+ DS2 SOTFS.

(I point that out because getting something at the end of the game wouldn't have much value...}

What is the best crossbow I should aim for as a good backup weapon?
Believe it or not in over 30 hours I have not come across a single one by luck or whatever...

I have the Undead Chariot Soul in my possession.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
There are only six crossbows total. The best is probably the Avelyn from pretty late in the game, or one of the sanctum crossbow variants in the sunken king DLC area.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Feenix posted:

Not for lack of enjoyment, but let's just assume I'm a dad with a second kid on the way and lots of games to play and that I am not LIKELY to NG+ DS2 SOTFS.

(I point that out because getting something at the end of the game wouldn't have much value...}

What is the best crossbow I should aim for as a good backup weapon?
Believe it or not in over 30 hours I have not come across a single one by luck or whatever...

I have the Undead Chariot Soul in my possession.

If you can cast dark magic, the sunken king area has one in a chest somewhere I think, otherwise go explore the area right before the covetous demon. The avelyn is the best if you don't have dark magic stats but that's not until the end of the game assuming it's still in the same place.

e: sanctum crossbow only has 10 faith/10 int for stat requirements on top of strength so its not that bad to invest in it anyways.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 22, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Heavy crossbow is good.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Are they still softbanning people who use Cheat Engine to hack in items and equipment? I want to do another playthrough but I am dreading the grind for some of the rarer drops.

Edit: also, has the base game been modified since SotFS? New enemy placements and whatnot? Or is that only for the people who bought the game again?

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 23, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I doubt that they softban people for that unless you have stuff that is impossible to get or something like that. Borderlands goons have been using cheat engine since its release to fix the loot drop rates or to level up weapons and never had issues with that. They're more aggressive towards "competitive" multiplayer games (they never gave a drat about steam card farming with the achievement manager).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Time_pants posted:

Are they still softbanning people who use Cheat Engine to hack in items and equipment? I want to do another playthrough but I am dreading the grind for some of the rarer drops.

Edit: also, has the base game been modified since SotFS? New enemy placements and whatnot? Or is that only for the people who bought the game again?

Somewhat ironically, the only change from SotFS that made it into the base game is the actual Scholar of the First Sin character. He's a secret boss after Nashandra, accessible by killing Vendrick before Nashandra.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Oh. Last dumb question: did they ever fix that bullshit with the durability draining at like double the rate of consoles, or is that a "feature" now?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Time_pants posted:

Oh. Last dumb question: did they ever fix that bullshit with the durability draining at like double the rate of consoles, or is that a "feature" now?

I'm pretty sure they fixed it. That's also not how that bug worked, incidentally; the way the bug worked was that every frame your weapon collided with an enemy corpse or friendly enemy (think Ratbro areas), your weapon would lose a point of durability. It was an insane bug, but it was pretty manageable barring some exceptions.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Time_pants posted:

I think they only fixed that bug in the SotFS edition, but I'm not 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hey, so I accidentally hit Saulden the Crestfallen Warrior immediately after stepping into Majula (durr) and ended up doing a classy murder-suicide by both of us falling off the shrine thing to our death. I obviously try to avoid spoilers in general my first time through, but I checked up on him since I was worried I'd miss anything important by killing him and if I should restart. It didn't look like anything too big, but I noticed he was listed as dropping his ring if killed. Since it wasn't there when I went back, nor after a quit/reload, have I lost out on getting it? Is there no way to get items from enemies/NPCs that fall to their death into the void in this game contra DS1?