Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

I certainly don't want to harm Thea but she was smack dab right in the epicenter of a ton of plot/characterization clusterfucks this season.

It was a bit of a mess but I kind of like where she has ended up ready for season 4. Probably because I think she looks good in the red costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Honestly Thea's one of the few characters who came out ahead, along with Laurel.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Angry Walrus posted:

Honestly Thea's one of the few characters who came out ahead, along with Laurel.

I agree, her and Laurel seem a lot more level headed this season. Though I'd argue that Laurel's best moment was when she appeared on The Flash. She was actually allowed to be funny. They even give Diggle reason to be pissed off that didn't just seem like arbitrary drama. But the Felicity stuff was a disaster, and made her borderline unlikeable. She's the moral centre of the team and that's fine and good, but there were a few occasions where you just think she has no real argument here but she's given big speeches anyway and it's stopping episodes in their tracks.

My only real issue with Thea is a total nitpicky one. She's so small and light that it's incredibly obvious when they're using her stuntdouble since they're using it for about 99% of the stuff where action is taking place. It's all wide shots of action, quick cut to her face and heavy breathing. It's literally the same thing they do with Steven Seagal these days.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I noticed the stuntdouble as well, which was basically every single scene where she's swinging a sword around or doing any sort of martial arts

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sir Potato posted:

I'm actually quite curious how they're going to bring Ollie back to the island for the fifth season and not make it seem shoehorned in.

That's the easy part though. He needs to get back to the city without raising suspicion so he goes back to the island and gets "rescued."

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
Now that I think about it, a huge way that a lot of drama this season could've been avoided that is completely in line with being a vigilante etc...

Oliver should have a safe word with each member of the team. That way if he or they are in a compromising situation (under duress) they could explain it without being conspicuous. If he had a safe word with Diggle, for example, and he used it while he was on the phone after kidnapping Lyla then maybe Diggle would've understood that it wasn't for nefarious end.

Maybe keep the safe words secret from each other member that way there's not a chance that the secret gets out because not everyone knows - in this case he could've opened up to Diggle, and then Diggle wouldn't have been so pressed on fighting Oliver the whole way.

Safe Words: Not just for doing it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
A safe word wouldn't have cut it. Digglle was pissed because Ollie left Diggle's daughter alone for who knows how long. He could've gotten over the Lyla thing, but putting his daughter in danger was too much.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I still don't actually dislike Felicity and am rooting for her to be great again.

I feel the same way.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
They'll get to S5 and start doing flashbacks to S1, but it'll be scenes we haven't been shown before of Oliver's secret, secreter agenda he was handling between everything we watched. All involving that maid or whatever from the pilot that never showed up again.

Wheels within wheels.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

mcswizzle posted:

Now that I think about it, a huge way that a lot of drama this season could've been avoided that is completely in line with being a vigilante etc...

Oliver should have a safe word with each member of the team. That way if he or they are in a compromising situation (under duress) they could explain it without being conspicuous. If he had a safe word with Diggle, for example, and he used it while he was on the phone after kidnapping Lyla then maybe Diggle would've understood that it wasn't for nefarious end.

Maybe keep the safe words secret from each other member that way there's not a chance that the secret gets out because not everyone knows - in this case he could've opened up to Diggle, and then Diggle wouldn't have been so pressed on fighting Oliver the whole way.

Safe Words: Not just for doing it
As much as I appreciate and support the concept of safewords in all situations, I think Oliver's point -- and I don't agree with it, I'm just verbalizing it -- is that his teammates would have somehow given him away if they were in on the plan. Like, if they didn't genuinely believe that he had turned on them, they would've done something unintentionally or made some kind of facial tic that clued in Ra's about the fact that Oliver hadn't truly betrayed them, especially since that's the exact sort of thing Ra's would be paranoid about Oliver doing right from the get-go. The way Malcolm puts it is that they're just not great actors. Oliver let Diggle genuinely believe that he would kill Lyla in order to sell Diggle's genuine reaction to the League.

It's idiotic, obviously. Diggle was a danged member of the Suicide Squad, he could sell undercover stories better than Oliver ever did. And Felicity has proven time and time again that she can manipulate bad guys at their own game, the most evident instance being s2 finale where she completely fooled Slade with the barest minimal instruction from Oliver. Roy literally just conned the entire city, including Oliver, into thinking that he was dead. The idea that the team couldn't possibly pull off a long con because they're not good at lying or whatever is just more rando nonsense that season 3 pulled out of nothing in order to badly justify Oliver's whole "I have to cut everyone off, for realsies this time, honestly seriously though" spiel.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

BrianWilly posted:

As much as I appreciate and support the concept of safewords in all situations, I think Oliver's point -- and I don't agree with it, I'm just verbalizing it -- is that his teammates would have somehow given him away if they were in on the plan. Like, if they didn't genuinely believe that he had turned on them, they would've done something unintentionally or made some kind of facial tic that clued in Ra's about the fact that Oliver hadn't truly betrayed them, especially since that's the exact sort of thing Ra's would be paranoid about Oliver doing right from the get-go. The way Malcolm puts it is that they're just not great actors. Oliver let Diggle genuinely believe that he would kill Lyla in order to sell Diggle's genuine reaction to the League.

It's idiotic, obviously. Diggle was a danged member of the Suicide Squad, he could sell undercover stories better than Oliver ever did. And Felicity has proven time and time again that she can manipulate bad guys at their own game, the most evident instance being s2 finale where she completely fooled Slade with the barest minimal instruction from Oliver. Roy literally just conned the entire city, including Oliver, into thinking that he was dead. The idea that the team couldn't possibly pull off a long con because they're not good at lying or whatever is just more rando nonsense that season 3 pulled out of nothing in order to badly justify Oliver's whole "I have to cut everyone off, for realsies this time, honestly seriously though" spiel.

Plot-wise, it makes more sense when you realize that Oliver is an abusive, controlling rear end in a top hat, and his choices all derive from that.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I dont know posted:

Plot-wise, it makes more sense when you realize that Oliver is an abusive, controlling rear end in a top hat, and his choices all derive from that.

Oliver's entire life he has had no control. Not as a kid with Moira as mom. Not on the island where he's following Yao Fei the. Slades orders. Not when he gets to Hong Kong where he's under Wallers thumb. It's only when he gets to Starling and starts depopulating the local 1%er hired goon population that he has complete control. And predictably he continually fucks it up being a control freak and trying to micromanage everything.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Bad Moon posted:

Oliver's entire life he has had no control. Not as a kid with Moira as mom. Not on the island where he's following Yao Fei the. Slades orders. Not when he gets to Hong Kong where he's under Wallers thumb. It's only when he gets to Starling and starts depopulating the local 1%er hired goon population that he has complete control. And predictably he continually fucks it up being a control freak and trying to micromanage everything.

I would say it's also at least partially genetic. Moira hits a lot of flags for borderline personality disorder.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It seems to me like Moira let Ollie and Thea get away with a lot. Isn't their whole origin that they were pretty spoiled and got whatever they wanted? And with mommy taking care of all the unwanted pregnancies or whatever.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Mortanis posted:

They'll get to S5 and start doing flashbacks to S1, but it'll be scenes we haven't been shown before of Oliver's secret, secreter agenda he was handling between everything we watched. All involving that maid or whatever from the pilot that never showed up again.

Wheels within wheels.

Season 6. :downs:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Honestly at this point I'm waiting for season 4 to have Oliver being a agent fifteen levels deeper than Revolver Ocelot and the goddamned Patriots, in an even more convoluted world domination and misguided revenge plot than anything Kojima could create in his worst fever dream of plot holes and 'gently caress i did not want to make a sequel."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I just found out my favourite fantasy author Joe Abercrombie (hailed as the anti-GRRM on these forums) posted some reviews of seasons 1 and 2. I thought they were quite nice. Also made me kinda sad about how much I used to like this show.

quote:

Arrow Season 1
Enjoyable enough superhero hokum based on the Green Arrow comics, in which pampered rich boy Oliver Queen is shipwrecked on a mysterious island and returns after 5 years with superhuman powers of archery, handsomeness, looking troubled, and working out, powers which he is determined to use for (kind of) good in ridding his city of a deadly conspiracy and etc. etc. I guess they’re going for a comic book over-the-top shininess but the result is that everyone is so improbably pretty they all end up looking strangely average. Attempts to complicate the standard superhero narrative are somewhat hamstrung by, for example, our hero’s habit of ruthlessly slaughtering three dozen bodyguards who one supposes are just doing their job before he lets their malefactor boss off with a harsh warning. Still, an enjoyable, if relatively predictable, way to while away a few hours…

quote:

Arrow Season 2 – watched the whole season on flights to and from Australia, and thoroughly enjoyed it, I must say. They’ve maybe dialled back the pretensions of depth and I think the show feels more comfortable in its own skin as a result, with an extensive cast of mildly absurd heroes and villains now well established and striking nice sparks from one another. It all looks a million bucks, there’s some nice patter, some nice action, some nice split narrative between past and present. If you don’t like watching really pretty people work out a lot you may be bored, but hey, if you don’t like watching really pretty people work out what the gently caress is wrong with you?

:allears:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Arrow Season 4 - "Do you like watching pretty people working out?"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Carlosologist posted:

Arrow Season 4 - "Do you like watching pretty people working out?"

I like watching pretty people work out and the back half of this season still blew

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Season 3 Box Set announced http://comicbook.com/2015/06/17/flash-season-one-arrow-season-three-box-sets-announced/

Maybe we'll get to see Roy's deleted scenes :unsmith:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Honestly at this point I'm waiting for season 4 to have Oliver being a agent fifteen levels deeper than Revolver Ocelot and the goddamned Patriots, in an even more convoluted world domination and misguided revenge plot than anything Kojima could create in his worst fever dream of plot holes and 'gently caress i did not want to make a sequel."

I'd watch Metal Gear Queen.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Finally caught up on this season after way too long. I didn't think it was nearly as bad as most people here seem to, but I am disappointed that S4 won't be "Nyssa and Laurel: Crimefighting BFFs".

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Scyantific posted:

Season 3 Box Set announced http://comicbook.com/2015/06/17/flash-season-one-arrow-season-three-box-sets-announced/

Maybe we'll get to see Roy's deleted scenes :unsmith:

Maybe we'll get the deleted contract negotiations that led to Arsenal never actually doing much.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I love how Laurel's level of competence is "3 League Assassins or one mugger". She got beta'd pretty hard by near nameless thugs.

Agreed that arrow characters were best this season when they were on Flash.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
They must really like what they have seen out of Ciara Renee because they are developing a Hawkgirl series.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So are we getting Shiera or Kendra here? I really liked the Hawkgirl of JLU but they kind of cheated on the back story.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

So are we getting Shiera or Kendra here? I really liked the Hawkgirl of JLU but they kind of cheated on the back story.

Honestly, the backstory is one of the worst parts of the Hawks if only because of how complicated it got an needed to be cleaned up, time after time. The JLU was a relatively streamline approach trying to keep the most relevant bits (the Ancient Egyptian reincarnations and Thanagar). She might have both names depending on back story (Thanagarian name Shayera, Earth alias Kendra) and it'll probably Shiera's backstory, but simplified, since Kendra's involves the former's soul entering her body. See also: http://comicsalliance.com/hawkman-history-lbfa-comics/

Unless we're talking New Earth 2 which is even simpler and easier in which Kendra is basically Laura Croft that had accidentally gotten a pair of wings of unknown origins in a temple in Egypt.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Xelkelvos posted:

Honestly, the backstory is one of the worst parts of the Hawks if only because of how complicated it got an needed to be cleaned up, time after time. The JLU was a relatively streamline approach trying to keep the most relevant bits (the Ancient Egyptian reincarnations and Thanagar). She might have both names depending on back story (Thanagarian name Shayera, Earth alias Kendra) and it'll probably Shiera's backstory, but simplified, since Kendra's involves the former's soul entering her body. See also: http://comicsalliance.com/hawkman-history-lbfa-comics/

Unless we're talking New Earth 2 which is even simpler and easier in which Kendra is basically Laura Croft that had accidentally gotten a pair of wings of unknown origins in a temple in Egypt.

The Hawks, Wonder Girl, and Legion are three of the biggest continuity clusterfucks known to man, and the more streamlined they are the better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's an official character description that actually sort of answers some of those questions:

quote:

A young woman who is just beginning to learn that she has been repeatedly reincarnated over the centuries. When provoked, her ancient warrior persona manifests itself, along with wings that grow out of her back, earning her the moniker Hawkgirl.

And her name on the show is Kendra.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
It's actually Hawke Girl, a series about Sondra, a single mother trying to make it on her own in Central City, juggling career and raising her son Connor.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

It's actually Hawke Girl, a series about Sondra, a single mother trying to make it on her own in Central City, juggling career and raising her son Connor.

Hawke Girl, the Champion of Kirkw...er Central City!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

jscolon2.0 posted:

Actually, It's a woman called Hawk.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

There's an official character description that actually sort of answers some of those questions:

And her name on the show is Kendra.

So this is the magic leg of the DCW Trinity. I can dig it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

So this is the magic leg of the DCW Trinity. I can dig it.

There's also going to be the cartoon Vixen, unless they cancelled that or something.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

oh jay posted:

There's also going to be the cartoon Vixen, unless they cancelled that or something.

They said they're going to reveal more information about it during the big DC tv comic con panel.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Kinda suspected it, but Barrowman is in fact coming back for Season 4

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ciara Renée has refuted the Hawkgirl rumors.

Which is a great shame. I wouldn't mind at all if they turned Hawkgirl into a Wonder Woman expy. Some folks even thought she was going to be Fury based on the original character description.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:suicide:

At least he won't have to crash on Thea's couch this season.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:suicide:

At least he won't have to crash on Thea's couch this season.

If he's back to being a villainous douche, I'm all for it. He's better when he has Earthquake machines and is screaming that YES THEY ALL DESERVE TO DIE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Warmachine posted:

If he's back to being a villainous douche, I'm all for it. He's better when he has Earthquake machines and is screaming that YES THEY ALL DESERVE TO DIE!

He's actually going to finally realize his dream of turning the League into the world's premiere flamenco dance troupe

• Locked thread