Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NESguerilla posted:

Fury Road did really well though and it's still playing in every theater near me.

Sorry you are going to have to rent it, it's one of the few movies I'd consider a must see in theaters. Not that it won't be great on video too.

We saw it once already, we were going for an encore :)

Yeah if I had totally missed it in theaters that would have sucked. I was just really shocked that it did so poorly in a redneck town, because the core concept of Mad Max movies is "rednecks with cars".

edit for streaming content: The Pope of Greenwich Village is on Netflix, classic 80s movie with Mickey Rourke, Eric Roberts, and Daryl Hannah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's a great movie.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Eric Roberts and his dumb hair are so obnoxious in that movie it made me want to puke.

I just can't get over how much different Micky Rourke looked than.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Fury Road did really well though and it's still playing in every theater near me.

Sorry you are going to have to rent it, it's one of the few movies I'd consider a must see in theaters. Not that it won't be great on video too.

Rumor has it its getting re-released in theaters for the 4th of July.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
All the major sources are reporting Fury Road as a success or "sleeper hit" and I have officially given up trying to do the math so I guess it is considered as having done okay. Miller is plowing ahead with sequel development.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

All the major sources are reporting Fury Road as a success or "sleeper hit" and I have officially given up trying to do the math so I guess it is considered as having done okay. Miller is plowing ahead with sequel development.

It made more than double its budget worldwide so that's like kind of good right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hector and the Search for Happiness is pretty loving bad.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

NESguerilla posted:

Hector and the Search for Happiness is pretty loving bad.

It struck me as basically the guy version of Eat, Pray, Love. How close am I?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have never seen Eat Pray Love, but Hector is basically 2 hours of an unlikable guy going around being a tourist and interacting with a bunch of stereotypes to find happiness then getting Ebola and making GBS threads his guts out at the end.

The last part isn't true I just wish it was.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Does he go to a foreign country and enjoy an authentic home cooked meal with a family

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I watched The Babadok and liked most of it even though I missed the first 10 minutes. Why, at the end does the Babadok begin acting like a scared and abused dog? They stop denying it so it's not as powerful but then lock it up in the basement and treat it like a pet? I'm usually not stupid about these things.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

Does he go to a foreign country and enjoy an authentic home cooked meal with a family

He most certainly does. It's so good he makes it a key point in his happiness diary.

Am I making everyone want to watch this?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Inzombiac posted:

I watched The Babadok and liked most of it even though I missed the first 10 minutes. Why, at the end does the Babadok begin acting like a scared and abused dog? They stop denying it so it's not as powerful but then lock it up in the basement and treat it like a pet? I'm usually not stupid about these things.

You should probably watch the first ten minutes.

You can never eliminate a family trauma like that. The death of the husband/father will always linger and always be in the background of the mother's and son's relationship.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Watching Ender's Game on that HBO streaming service now. Good god it's horrible. Is it really all about how brilliant people are better than everyone else and don't carry any responsibility for their actors in the service of a fascist state? It's a movie literally about how awesome it is being a child soldier. I knew nothing about it going in, but it's like Starship Troopers played straight.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

NESguerilla posted:

He most certainly does. It's so good he makes it a key point in his happiness diary.

Am I making everyone want to watch this?

Kinda. I've got this new torture idea and it is kinda like stress positions, but for your brain.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jack Gladney posted:

Watching Ender's Game on that HBO streaming service now. Good god it's horrible. Is it really all about how brilliant people are better than everyone else and don't carry any responsibility for their actors in the service of a fascist state? It's a movie literally about how awesome it is being a child soldier. I knew nothing about it going in, but it's like Starship Troopers played straight.

You should probably watch it to the end and/or read the book and/or read the sequel, Speaker For The Dead

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

regulargonzalez posted:

You should probably watch it to the end and/or read the book and/or read the sequel, Speaker For The Dead

Or don't, because Orson Scott Card is a gigantic shitheel, and the Ender's Game books are garbage.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I read Enders Game as a kid and hated it but thought maybe I just didn't get it since other people liked it so much
Reread it a few years later and had the exact same reaction
Reread it a third time after that and decided that the book is just bad

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, even after watching the whole thing it just seems like the story is constructed around celebrating a blameless youth for his intelligence and innate superiority. Like, I don't buy his concern for that bug planet at all because the story seems all about his righteous indignation at being used to blow it up rather than anything to do with the moral implications of what he'd done--knowingly or not. Like, somehow he's the victim even in basically being space Rommel. It's a mark of adolescence to be utterly obsessed with yourself and to think of everything in terms of yourself, but here it's like the movie validates that point of view even when the bare facts of the plot are that the kid has to face up to having done something wrong and needing to fix it. The whole thing just left a gross taste in my brain after the way the rest of the movie presents the most important thing about fascist militarism as basically that it's an interesting and fun thing for smart boys who like puzzles.

It's like the opposite of the Oppenheimer quote or Cat's Cradle.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Yeah, even after watching the whole thing it just seems like the story is constructed around celebrating a blameless youth for his intelligence and innate superiority. Like, I don't buy his concern for that bug planet at all because the story seems all about his righteous indignation at being used to blow it up rather than anything to do with the moral implications of what he'd done--knowingly or not. Like, somehow he's the victim even in basically being space Rommel. It's a mark of adolescence to be utterly obsessed with yourself and to think of everything in terms of yourself, but here it's like the movie validates that point of view even when the bare facts of the plot are that the kid has to face up to having done something wrong and needing to fix it. The whole thing just left a gross taste in my brain after the way the rest of the movie presents the most important thing about fascist militarism as basically that it's an interesting and fun thing for smart boys who like puzzles.

Got it into my head we were still talking about Fruitvale Station, and spent a while trying to parse this.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Orson Scott Card is terrible, and I never want to support him while he's still alive, but I did like Speaker For The Dead.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Loki_XLII posted:

Got it into my head we were still talking about Fruitvale Station, and spent a while trying to parse this.

I wish I had watched Fruitvale Station.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
Did Netflix end the "Are you still watching?" prompts? Fell asleep watching a show last night, only to wake up with it still on, 10 episodes later, which kinda freaked me out. Maybe it's just certain shows?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

dreadnought posted:

Did Netflix end the "Are you still watching?" prompts? Fell asleep watching a show last night, only to wake up with it still on, 10 episodes later, which kinda freaked me out. Maybe it's just certain shows?

I fell asleep watching comedy bang bang yesterday and it just ran through 13 episodes in a row

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hat Thoughts posted:

I read Enders Game as a kid and hated it but thought maybe I just didn't get it since other people liked it so much
Reread it a few years later and had the exact same reaction
Reread it a third time after that and decided that the book is just bad

I read the first chapter or two when he's getting bullied and I did not have any interest at all. I'm sorta glad I didn't revisit it.

(Instead I read The Tripods!)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dreadnought posted:

I think it depends on the software version. We have a smart TV in the bedroom and it threw up the "are you still watching" prompt after four or five episodes of Scrubs last night.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Orson Scott Card is terrible, and I never want to support him while he's still alive, but I did like Speaker For The Dead.

SotD comes off even worse after you learn about how much of a douchebag Card is, since it's a book all about empathizing with a concept or idea outside of your worldview, which the author is apparently incapable of.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

hope and vaseline posted:

SotD comes off even worse after you learn about how much of a douchebag Card is, since it's a book all about empathizing with a concept or idea outside of your worldview, which the author is apparently incapable of.

Wouldn't be the first time a creator couldn't wrap their mind around a moral preached by their own fiction.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

dreadnought posted:

The desktop version still does it, dunno about any other versions.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I remember reading Enders Game when I was actually in the YA market and found its depiction of bullying terrifying, the space games an exciting narrative device, and the twist genuinely unexpected.

But I dunno if the book would hold up as an adult. The movie certainly seemed like a pale imitation of my memory of it.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Jack Gladney posted:

Creating the Innocent Killer touches on a lot of these ideas and is basically an essential followup piece to Ender's Game, imo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Well, Songmaster is a book about how hot a 13 year old boy is and how it's not morally wrong for men to desire him, and Card has since said a bunch of anti-gay stuff, so yeah. Dude is a fascinating study in self-denial. I read Ender, Speaker, Xenocide and a few of his other books when I was a kid, and I assumed he was an agnostic from them.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I, too, can only appreciate artistic works if the artist in question is a moral exemplar.

Turns out I hate all music and all visual arts, 99% of movies due to their actors or directors, and all but like 2 or 3 books.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
July's a little bit of a slow month.

7/1/15:
Alive (1993)
An Honest Liar (2014)
Bad Hair Day (2015)
Bionicle: The Legend Reborn (2009)
Bulworth (1998)
Grandma's Boy (2006)
Hostage (2005)
Invizimals: The Alliance Files
Piglet's Big Movie (2003)
Saw V (2008)
Set Fire To The Stars (2014)
Shooting Fish (1997)
The Secret Of Roan Inish (1994)
Underworld: Evolution (2006)

7/4/15
Faults (2014)

7/7/15
Monster High: Scaris, City of Frights (2013)

7/9/15
Monsters: The Dark Continent (2014)
Serena (2014)

7/14/15
Creep (2014)
Goodbye to All That (2014)
Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanleys Island of Dr. Moreau (2014)

7/15/15
Da Sweet Blood of Jesus (2014)
Penguins of Madagascar (2014)
The Physician (2014)

7/16/15
Changeling (2008)

7/17/15
The Human Experiment (2013)
Tig (2015)

7/18/15
Java Heat (2013)

7/23/15
Teacher of the Year (2014)

7/25/15
The Guest (2014)

7/28/15
Comet (2014)

7/30/15
Almost Mercy (2015)
The Wrecking Crew (2008)

7/31/15
Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp (2015)

LEAVING NETFLIX
7/1/15
Big Fish (2003)
Big Top Pee-wee (1988)
Bowling for Columbine (2002)
Cast Away (2000)
Cheech & Chong's Next Movie (1980)
Descent (2007)
Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead (2010)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)
Jack Frost (1997)
Moonstruck (1987)
Natural Born Killers: Director's Cut (1994)
Patton (1970)
Racing Stripes (2005)
Seven Years in Tibet (1997)
She's All That (1999)
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)
Space Cowboys (2000)
Stephen King's The Stand (1994)
Super Troopers (2001)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
The Care Bears Movie (1985)
The Fly 2 (1989)
The Langoliers (1995)
The Last Samurai (2003)
The Manchurian Candidate (2004)
The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984)
Three Kings (1999)
Trailer Park Boys: The Movie (2006)

7/4/15
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

7/6/15
The Last Stand (2013)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Been meaning to rewatch Alive for a while now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Also, the new season of Bojack Horseman should go up in July (as far as I know).

I'm excited to see The Guest. I missed it in theaters and enjoyed You're Next.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wet Hot is coming this summer? Whoa fast turnaround.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

morestuff posted:

LEAVING NETFLIX
7/1/15

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)

Natural Born Killers: Director's Cut (1994)

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)

Three Kings (1999)

Trailer Park Boys: The Movie (2006)

Everyone should watch these while they can.

Kind of bizarre of them to remove the Trailer Park Boys movie right after financing two seasons of the show :confused:

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
I kinda liked Changeling, but I saw it like 4 years ago and now 90% of my memory of it is Jeffrey Donovan doing a fun old timey accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's fun knowing what goes up on Netflix because it prepares you for everyone suddenly talking about some movie you watched 8 months ago on VOD.