Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Race Realists posted:

jolyne whines about getting caught wanking in front of a guard?

lousy way to introduce a protagonist, araki....

You say that now, but you'll be in awe when Jolyne's sex drive is instrumental to defeating the main villain. :colbert:

WickedHate posted:

Has anyone else in this thread read/watched YuYu Hakusho? Because territories are totally just stands without the punchghosts. The territories showed up right around the time Stardust Crusaders was ending.

I rewatched Chapter Black with a friend recently and we both came to the same conclusion.

Kaito and Gamemaster definitely gave off heavy D'arby vibes.

There's also Kido (I think that was his name) who had that Copy ability that was basically Khnum + gaining the other person's memories.

And Seaman was Aqua Necklace, sort of.

Pomp posted:

Ripple coming back could be cool, but they'd have to put a new spin on it.

:allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aurain posted:

Florida Man Asks Where The Hell Is Mickey?
Anasui has such a hard-on for Jolyne because her hairstyle looks like Disney mouse-ears. Fact.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/1a0664ba3e9d5cb5be49c72b4344f9d81359545901_full.jpg

Her hairstyle is awesome.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Morioh Man Keeps Deadline As World Ends

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Serperoth posted:

I'm late to the party, but I've been reading Part 4 and I just finished Let's Go Eat Italian yesterday. If that gets animated, anyone who complains about it is, with no doubt, wrong.

That is and probably will always be my favorite arc in the entire series

Nothing else comes close.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Joseph is a fantastic character and I do like that even old senile Joseph in Part 4 gets to shine with a crazy stupid idea. Yet beyond Part 2, that's held back plenty so you can still appreciate him, but not take the spotlight away from everybody else.

What I'm saying is that All JoJos are Best JoJos.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TheKingofSprings posted:

That is and probably will always be my favorite arc in the entire series

Nothing else comes close.

Beetle Tendency is probably the closest to it for me, but everything about Let's Eat Italian is basically flawless.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So as I've now reached Part 5 and it's still awesome, I wanna ask about something. Sometimes at the beginning/end of the chapters, there's a simplified drawing of the characters. It really reminds me of the drawing style of Hugo Pratt, specifically the (amazing) Corto Maltese comics.

Corto Maltese

Is it just a funny coincidence or did Araki read/like Hugo Pratt's work?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pick your poison, coloured or B&W.

e: Never heard of any link between those.
I'm pretty sure they're just quick scribbles and the similarities are just coincidental.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

MonsieurChoc posted:

So as I've now reached Part 5 and it's still awesome, I wanna ask about something. Sometimes at the beginning/end of the chapters, there's a simplified drawing of the characters. It really reminds me of the drawing style of Hugo Pratt, specifically the (amazing) Corto Maltese comics.

Corto Maltese

Is it just a funny coincidence or did Araki read/like Hugo Pratt's work?

I doubt we'll ever know for certain unless it turns up in an interview or cover quote, but it'd be stranger if Araki hadn't, frankly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm trying to find the sketch that really made think about it. It was one of Jotaro during Stardust Crusader.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm trying to find the sketch that really made think about it. It was one of Jotaro during Stardust Crusader.

http://rumpbot.imgur.com/

Dude on /a/ did this.
It's a collection of them all. (All he could find).

This is my favourite.

e:
This one is second.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 22, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Aurain posted:

http://rumpbot.imgur.com/

Dude on /a/ did this.
It's a collection of them all. (All he could find).

Thanks! It's this one:

It looks like something straight out of Corto Maltese, especially the less-detailed black-and-white adventures.

Longhouse
Nov 8, 2010

Chill out, dog
Slavoj Zizek on King Crimson

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

I've never understood whats going on in this one. Even Okuyasu seems confused

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

lmao Killer Queen's rear end

e:

Shhh...soft & wet

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 22, 2015

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

hatty posted:

I've never understood whats going on in this one. Even Okuyasu seems confused

I think it's Josuke with his legs up in the air, and Okuyasu is holding him up by his rear end.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Given that Araki has a MASSIVE boner for Italy and Italian artsits, it's a pretty easy jump to say he knows of and has read Hugo Pratt's stuff.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Davinci posted:

I think it's Josuke with his legs up in the air, and Okuyasu is holding him up by his rear end.

Other way round. Josuke is stood up holding Okuyasu's rear end while his legs are up.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Davinci posted:

e:f;b

I'm pretty sure Okuyasu is the one with his legs in the air, he's being held by Josuke. Very precariously, which is why Okuyasu has the "oh poo poo I'm gonna fall" face.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

Given that Araki has a MASSIVE boner for Italy and Italian artsits, it's a pretty easy jump to say he knows of and has read Hugo Pratt's stuff.

Yeah, that's why I'm asking. I'm a huge fan of euro-comics, and Hugo Pratt is definitely one of the best.

Now I can't stop thinking about a cross-over between Corto and Jojo, because I'm a total fanboy.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Corto Maltese fills the exact same niche in the story as Jotaro. Cool and quiet, mostly reacting to various bad guys. Not easy to shock.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
That'd be a staredown for the ages.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

this is canon now

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Million Ghosts posted:

Buff Okuyasu is super weird, he gets so cute by the end that it's hard to believe it's the same dude.

I'm reading through, and I feel like the most noticeable changes in overall art style are occurring during Toshizaku Hazamada (Surface). You can actually see him shrink from chapter to chapter, it's weird.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 22, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hi thread, remember the chart from this lecture by Araki that Bad Seafood shared?

http://comipress.com/article/2006/07/25/516

Well, since I'm in the middle of a long effort post about the art of Dragonball vs. the art of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure I figured it would be helpful to translate it fully, so I did. Also since I hadn't heard of most of the named titles, I spent way too much time making an interactive version of the diagram that shows you the art of the series in question, which you can find here (enable javscript):

http://xibanya.neocities.org/arakichart.html

And here's the non-fancy version:

To be honest I'm a little surprised by where Araki places some of the series, so I wanted to hash that out now before I keep writing about something that might be off-base. I'm not sure if I agree 100% with where Araki has placed Jojo (yes, the original chart just says "Jojo") in relation to the axis labels and other series, but I'm only really familiar with parts 1 -3. It seems really weird to me that Araki is saying that his series is about as grounded in world-building as Dragonball - for my planned effort post series I'm actually hoping to explore Araki's use of the "hyperreal," or symbols of real places in order to evoke an emotion instead of literally depicting a specific real place. The impression I get is that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a story all about intense emotions, while Dragonball barely touches on characters' inner lives and is more concerned with creating a totally new world and showing rad fight choreography. Am I getting Jojo totally wrong or is it just that the series shifts focus in the parts after 3? Or is the chart just confusing?

Comipress article posted:

In the case of Jojo, Araki is trying to pursue reality by portraying things with classical methodology, but he gives precedence to emotion and inner thought over plot structure, trying to portray the protagonists' destiny, so he ends up in the bottom-left quadrant.

In that case, shouldn't he end up in the top-left quadrant? The axes are unmistakable, it's the upper-y axis that is labeled "inner mind and emotions." (心の内面や感情を主に表現するテーマを追ったもの) Araki!! :argh:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You say that now, but you'll be in awe when Jolyne's sex drive is instrumental to defeating the main villain. :colbert:

Well, you know what they say about the Joestar sex drive.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

BaDandy posted:

I really want to see what Jotaro dating his ex-wife must of been like. We get so little information about those two.

What I'm saying is a slice of life staring 10 year-old Joylne leading up to her parent's divorce.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

BaDandy posted:

there's a Hamon joke somewhere in here

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Fiend Computer posted:

I really want to see what Jotaro dating his ex-wife must of been like. We get so little information about those two.

What I'm saying is a slice of life staring 10 year-old Joylne leading up to her parent's divorce.

This already exists, it's called Little Joelyne in Morioh, and it is the best fan thing ever. Though it's less about Jotaro and his wife, and mostly about Josuke being a cool great-uncle.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Later parts, adopting a more free-form style of storytelling, where the central conflict of the story is somewhat less central and all-consuming, end up doing a lot more world building than parts 1-3 did. Part 4 is especially that since the vast majority of it is essentially slice of life but with Stands. Character motives remain a driving force, but it turns into a relay race where the setting and the characters keep passing the protagonist's stick to each other on the way to the finishing line.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

dogsicle posted:

there's a Hamon joke somewhere in here

Coughs

Fiend Computer posted:

This basically sums up what I want for JoJo: extra stuff for everything that happened in between. Jotaro having to juggle grad school and a family, Joseph first learning how to raise a child, Jolyne's childhood, that in-between period for Dio after he escaped imprisonment but before he got his stand and he seemingly didn't have any real goal in mind, more about Jonathan's mother, more about Dio's mother like what we got with Diego's backstory, stuff like that. I know it's not really important to the story overall but it would be nice to see.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'd love a storybizarre adventure about Joseph and Avdol meeting and becoming friends.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Old Joseph and Suzie raising Shizuka. :unsmith:

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Koichi, with his head blocked by butts

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Answering this in the right thread:

Zeruel posted:

Were the people of Morioh stabbed with the arrows, or did they just develop them out of nowhere, I can't really remember. At least in Part 5, all aspiring gangSTARS were stabbed by Black Sabbath, but the townsfolk of Morioh just grew stands one day, right?

Most of them were stabbed but a few of them like Tonio always had one.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

the wildest rear end posted:

Answering this in the right thread:

Most of them were stabbed but a few of them like Tonio always had one.

Zeruel lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, both the Nijimuras and Kira's dad got arrows from Enya and went around shooting people randomly. I think there were a few people who are implied to have stands naturally in Part 5 too, like Mista.