Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I'm not even saying ripple should come back, I agree leaving it behind was a good thing for the series, just that it could have been phased out better and propped up the weaker parts of the early part 3 with Joseph doing dumb stuff like I dunno, ripple-charged coke can grenades as distractions or something. Actually mostly I just think the show could have done with more Joseph. Jotaro was extremely uninteresting and had maybe 5 amusing moments in the whole show. Polnaref really carried the series now that I think about it.

The argument however that ripple would be useless because it doesn't directly damage punchghosts is also pretty silly though because the whole reason ripple has to go in the first place is that it's bullshit flexible and basically did anything from augmenting strength, to life-force radar, to fluid manipulation, organic material reinforcement, and a bunch of other bullshit stuff.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Oh you must be confused then, you'll want to watch episode 10 on of season 1.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm not sure the best way to feel out an entirely new powerset for your series is to just do all the same poo poo you did in the last part with the old power.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Well mostly I figured joseph could use its basic stuff for more pranks and tricks through the fights, and since as you said he never passed it on, and never got the chance, it effectively goes extinct from the series. Practiced only by esoteric temples and life extension obsessives.

Also Joseph could have used it to kill the body of Dio instead of waiting for the sun once he was revived, but the sun was a more poetic ending so it's all cool.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The main narrative difference between Ripple and Stands, and it's pretty important, is that where the Ripple was bullshit magic that did whatever Joseph wanted it to do, Stands typically do one specific thing, plus also usually punchghost. Especially in later parts after Stardust Crusaders, a lot of the chapter-to-chapter tension comes from, "Wow, how is <protagonist> going to get out of this situation using his <one weird super power>, probably in a way that takes advantage of a secret weakness in his enemy's <one weird super power>?"

Even when a Stand does have broader applications, they're still rather restricted, and often can only operate within a short range. Typically the more powerful or less restricted Stands are controlled by the enemy, and it's a race to see who can figure out their opponent's dumb trick first.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If anybody is still on the fence about Stands and how cool they are, Part 4 is either gonna make or break you, since that's when they start coming into their prime.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Thinking on it more, basically I guess I just wanted more Joseph, and see a fairly restricted use of ripple to augment his rather limited stand powers for more old BT style trickery as a means to add to that. The rest would basically be the same.

Obviously it doesn't really matter though because SDC is older than I am, the necessary transition from ripple to stands has been made, even if I feel it could have been done better, stands are the future and now that stands are well grounded they're good.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Waffleman_ posted:

If anybody is still on the fence about Stands and how cool they are, Part 4 is either gonna make or break you, since that's when they start coming into their prime.

Part 4 is also when Araki starts naming every Stand after a band or song :ohdear:
I can't wait to see the weird renames in the subtitles.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best thing about Part 4 is when I remember it, I always end up thinking "That stand was amazing, and that one, and that one... and that one..." until I'm re-reading again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Shanakin posted:

Polnaref really carried the series now that I think about it.

I stand by my argument that Polnareff is the main character of Part 3.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The drought struck quick and it struck hard. By the end of the week, dozens lay dead, their bodies strewn across the two threads. Please keep good care of your body, never let your JoJo-addiction become a deficiency. If need be, read the scans post-haste.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah Part 5 is the only one that doesn't have a complete translation that is readable. I skipped it and still pretty much understood everything that was happening. Go read some Jojo.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Any arguments for the ripple can be essentially distilled into "there should have been more Battle Tendency", which is wrong because Battle Tendency was perfect in every regard, including length.

Just about the only missed opportunity there might have been is Alessi, but because the plot went as it did splitting Jotaro and Polnareff from Joseph and Avdol we got Mariah which, much like Battle Tendency, was perfect in every regard.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not turning Joseph young was the right choice because besides from that denying Alessi his just desserts, it gives the crew a one time power up to beat a minor villain whose only strength is beating up children, which is just about the best way of going about making your protagonists look like wimps.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

If you're going to keep on reading Jojo, you're going to have to get used to things like the Ripple getting dropped/forgotten because that's just how Araki rolls :c00lbutt:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Speaking of Alessi, now that the anime's done, here's a video of his transformations in the old fighting game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjmfggHOvYo

Some cool stuff, though not all of it makes sense (DIO why).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's pretty neat that Hol Horse+Boingo switches their places around.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
There's so many good parts about that video. Like lil Pet Shop egg. :kimchi:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
If it makes people feel any better, here's a sketch someone at DavidProduction did of a What If scenario where Alessi attacked Joseph and somehow Kakyoin.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Aurain posted:

Not turning Joseph young was the right choice because besides from that denying Alessi his just desserts, it gives the crew a one time power up to beat a minor villain whose only strength is beating up children, which is just about the best way of going about making your protagonists look like wimps.

So have him run away and try it on Joseph after he's beaten.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Joseph defeated Cars in 1938. Dio resurfaced in 1983. People talk about hamon being dropped "Suddenly" in favor of stands, but really it's been over four decades since Joseph had to use it last. It's only jarring to us, the audience, because we skipped the interim years. In the world of the story, it's had time to lapse.

Kinda weird though that so many people pine for hamon while decrying Star Platinum's ability to pull random powers out of a hat when 90% of hamon was doing just that as well.

Waffleman_ posted:

You mean whether Warner Bros. greenlights it. David does not fund this stuff themselves.
I'm not sure how my comment and your clarification were deemed mutually exclusive, but sure.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Moltrey posted:

If it makes people feel any better, here's a sketch someone at DavidProduction did of a What If scenario where Alessi attacked Joseph and somehow Kakyoin.

this is amazing

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Moltrey posted:

I believe they also did one of these with Avdol, anyone have it?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I believe they also did one of these with Avdol, anyone have it?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Magician's Red looks like a chocobo.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Moltrey posted:

imagining Battle Tendency Joseph loving around with Alessi is just so much fun :allears:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

imagining Battle Tendency Joseph loving around with Alessi is just so much fun :allears:

Putting BT Joesph in anything makes it fun. Except Sword Art Online,nothing can make that good.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like the ripple for two reasons:

1. It's fabulous.
2. Young Joseph is the best jojo.

Part 3 failed to deliver enough fabulous. It was certainly brutal, sometimes clever, and the finale was quite good, but it was not as fabulous as BT.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You're gonna like part 4 then.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It's fabulous, but I definitely wouldn't rank it as high on the fabulometer as part 2. Very few things can measure up to "Awaken my masters"

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Jojo doesn't really return to being as fabulous as it was in part 2 until part 5, which is insanely fabulous. Everyone is so pretty in part 5, it's nuts. It's when the posing gets really nuts again.

Part 4 is no slouch though, especially as the art style changes (though I'm sure the anime will be consistent about it the whole time instead of the gradual change that Part 4 basically is.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Part 1: The first part
Part 2: The Joseph-est part
Part 3: The D&Dest part
Part 4: The best part
Part 5: The most fabulous part
Part 6: The part where you wonder just what Araki is smoking

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.
Latest Episode spoiler: It would seem Weird Al is aware of his being referenced in the latest episode. (Apologies if this is already posted, it would seem the forums search engine doesn't parse url tags at the moment.)

Shingen fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 22, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Jojo doesn't really return to being as fabulous as it was in part 2 until part 5, which is insanely fabulous. Everyone is so pretty in part 5, it's nuts. It's when the posing gets really nuts again.

Part 4 is no slouch though, especially as the art style changes (though I'm sure the anime will be consistent about it the whole time instead of the gradual change that Part 4 basically is.)

The change in artstyle for Part 4 is almost as sudden as the change in Iggy's face. It's like literally one chapter.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Waffleman_ posted:

The change in artstyle for Part 4 is almost as sudden as the change in Iggy's face. It's like literally one chapter.

I reread part 4 recently, it's honestly really gradual as everyone slowly slims down and the sameface starts to set in for a while. There's an entire secret art shift in there that no one remembers where everyone was suddenly super gaunt, it was weird.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ripple coming back could be cool, but they'd have to put a new spin on it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pomp posted:

Ripple coming back could be cool, but they'd have to put a new spin on it.

Dude I love the ripple too, but can we stop beating this dead horse? It's not coming back.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Jojokes

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I love how even the ambulance driver in the last ep was ripped as hell

RIP Aztec Gods of Gains