Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

Its already that for agents

Heck Seattle had a basketball team when it first started. Shaq's threats to the Lakers were agent posturing, the Magic just hosed it up so badly that it ended up happening.

--

I really like Willie Cauley-Stein but it's mainly because of his name, I'll admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hopefully to Indiana so Utah can take Turner.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

It's like the Knicks aren't even trying any more cause that's just a shameful excuse for a smoke screen.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It's like the Knicks aren't even trying any more cause that's just a shameful excuse for a smoke screen.

What good are "smoke screens" anyway? I understand not tipping your hand, but has putting out false information about who you might take ever worked in a team's favor?

Do the Knicks really think if they "leak" their interest in Frank The Tank, that Philly is going to say, "Oh gently caress the Knicks want FTT... what did we miss guys? We better just take him if the Knicks want him that bad." and then the Knicks draft Russel and say thank you Philly.

Stuff like this can't possibly work right?

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

EvanTH posted:

Is it true that foreign players are more likely to deliberately whack someone in the nuts mid-game or is that my personal xenophobic prejudice ? The 2012 Olympics were an important event in my sports-psychological makeup.

I don't think they're more likely to target the nuts, but I do think they're more likely to deliberately whack someone since the euro game is a bit more physical and they didn't go through the media scrutiny of the NCAA.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

It does if the Cavs are picking ahead of you.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

What good are "smoke screens" anyway? I understand not tipping your hand, but has putting out false information about who you might take ever worked in a team's favor?

Do the Knicks really think if they "leak" their interest in Frank The Tank, that Philly is going to say, "Oh gently caress the Knicks want FTT... what did we miss guys? We better just take him if the Knicks want him that bad." and then the Knicks draft Russel and say thank you Philly.

I think it's mostly agents that leak this kind of stuff, like when Dion Waiters got a mystery promise and then the Cavs drafted him. I don't know that it's all that effective but when you're an agent and you have media patsies eating out of your hand, might as well.

That, or it's just media guys trying to call some crazy poo poo going down because people will pay more attention to them. (c.f. Sheridan, Chris)

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

MourningView posted:

It does if the Cavs are picking ahead of you.

You talking about Bennet? Who Jedi mind tricked them into that pick?

just checked... that was not a good draft... Cavs probably said gently caress it, Orlando who do you want? and we'll just take that guy...

FrankeeFrankFrank fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 22, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

wangvicous posted:

Counterpoint CP3 and Stockton.

Euros are just way better at it (or worse, I suppose, depending on whether your goal is getting away with it or eliminating your targets ability to father children). Nic Batum was not about that subtle John Stockton knee to the groin when you're setting a screen bullshit. He swung like his opponents nuts were one of those punching games they have it bars and he was trying to impress a group of girls.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

You talking about Bennet? Who Jedi mind tricked them into that pick?

Waiters' agent deked them into picking him by leaking a false rumor that Dion had a promise from someone picking early.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

I think the Knicks are more desperately trying to trade down as opposed to tricking Philly into making a colossally dumb pick. By threatening to take Kaminsky at 4, some team that's secretly in love with Frank might come out of the woodwork and part with an asset to take dumb old Frank Kaminsky with the 4th pick instead of the 12th or whatever. But yeah, that isn't happening either, though I hope the Knicks leak a supposed interest in every late lottery player at #4 until Thursday night.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

MourningView posted:

Waiters' agent deked them into picking him by leaking a false rumor that Dion had a promise from someone picking early.

OK... this is where I get lost on how these things work.

The Cavs must have liked Waiters right? At least somewhat. BUT not enough to pick him at #4?
So... then the Cavs hear a rumor that he is promised to someone early?
Earlier than #4? So when he "drops" they think they got lucky and have got to have him? And forget all about them not thinking he was good enough for #4?

Or were they thinking about trading down and still hoping to Waiters at say #6... but they think the team at #5 has a promise to him, so they stick at #4 and take him.

How dumb do you have to be to draft someone you don't want, or higher than you want because someone else likes made a "promise"? How dumb do you have to be... especially a #4 to get fooled... maybe in the second round or something you let someone get in your head... but not at #4...

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Terry Glenn posted:

I think the Knicks are more desperately trying to trade down as opposed to tricking Philly into making a colossally dumb pick. By threatening to take Kaminsky at 4, some team that's secretly in love with Frank might come out of the woodwork and part with an asset to take dumb old Frank Kaminsky with the 4th pick instead of the 12th or whatever. But yeah, that isn't happening either, though I hope the Knicks leak a supposed interest in every late lottery player at #4 until Thursday night.

ok... this makes sense... the strategy I mean... nothing else makes sense....

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rick posted:

Heck Seattle had a basketball team when it first started. Shaq's threats to the Lakers were agent posturing, the Magic just hosed it up so badly that it ended up happening.

--

I really like Willie Cauley-Stein but it's mainly because of his name, I'll admit.

Well then you might want to call him by his real name then...

Willie Trill Cauley-Stein

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Cavs must have liked Waiters right? At least somewhat. BUT not enough to pick him at #4?
Earlier than #4? So when he "drops" they think they got lucky and have got to have him? And forget all about them not thinking he was good enough for #4?

Or were they thinking about trading down and still hoping to Waiters at say #6... but they think the team at #5 has a promise to him, so they stick at #4 and take him.

How dumb do you have to be to draft someone you don't want, or higher than you want because someone else likes made a "promise"? How dumb do you have to be... especially a #4 to get fooled... maybe in the second round or something you let someone get in your head... but not at #4...

Because they saw Waiters as a "high risk/high reward" guy, they start hearing that other teams want him and they talk themselves into it. The Waiters thing was a weird one.

Most smoke screens are usually from other player agents, or teams that are hearing about trades they don't want to see happen and are trying to scuttle them. If they say at #4 they will take a guy who is supposed to be there at 10, a team trying to trade to 10 might shift gears.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Maybe they picked him at 4 so that the mysterious team that wanted him enough to give him a promise would trade with them. Unfortunately no team actually wanted him so they couldn't trade him away.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Taking Kaminsky would be the final straw. I'm down with Kristaps more than ever.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Smokescreens are great if you want to make a risky or unpopular pick. Make the fanbase so nervous that they'll love you for taking the guy you wanted all along.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Boosh! posted:

Taking Kaminsky would be the final straw. I'm down with Kristaps more than ever.

I'm pretty much convinced at this point that the Knicks will pick the Darko in this draft. But I think I'll be happy as long as they don't draft Prozingus. Kaminsky can't be for real.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Maybe I'm totally misremembering but I thought the Cavs took Waiters because they really liked him, and it was funny because Waiters wouldn't work out for anyone. I don't think the Cavs got schnookered into taking Waiters by another team, they got schnookered by Dion Waiters.

As they were schnookered by Anthony Bennett! You can laugh but I think it would be a shame if they lost their innocence and became cynical and I hope this year they draft the man who most sincerely tells them that he is the best player to draft.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Ken Berger posted:

The Rockets, who have the 18th pick, are surveying the landscape in an effort to acquire another first-rounder, league sources say. Two teams in the bottom of the first round, Memphis (25) and San Antonio (26), may be open to dealing their picks to avoid cap holds and preserve room as they re-sign Marc Gasol and Kawhi Leonard, respectively.

Aww yeah, draft days as a Rockets fan are always fun as hell until you wake up the next morning and remember drafting an unathletic 6'8" guy

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Woj desperately trying to will Russell to Los Angeles so he has another source (Russell's agent) besides the occasional Kobe bone with the Lakers

I won't be mad if it happens.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

I wonder if he's going to be able to play in Denver and Utah with his sickle cell. Can you imagine getting a playoff series against one of those teams and one of your players can't even play? He did play in the game against Montana this year (just perusing the schedule nothing else leaps out at me.)

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Maybe I'm totally misremembering but I thought the Cavs took Waiters because they really liked him, and it was funny because Waiters wouldn't work out for anyone. I don't think the Cavs got schnookered into taking Waiters by another team, they got schnookered by Dion Waiters.

As they were schnookered by Anthony Bennett! You can laugh but I think it would be a shame if they lost their innocence and became cynical and I hope this year they draft the man who most sincerely tells them that he is the best player to draft.

You are totally misremembering. He was said to have a promise from someone in the mid lottery. He didn't work out for any team. The Cavs got snooked by his agent into drafting a bench player from Syracuse number 4 overall. Players picked after 4 who are markedly better than Dion Waiters: Damialillard harry barnes andre drummond meyers leonard john henson will barton andrew nicholson terrence jones jae crowder draymond green khris middleton kostas papanikolau kyle o'quinn

Bashez posted:

I wonder if he's going to be able to play in Denver and Utah with his sickle cell. Can you imagine getting a playoff series against one of those teams and one of your players can't even play? He did play in the game against Montana this year (just perusing the schedule nothing else leaps out at me.)

It's a real concern. Maybe he'll slide down to 16 for the Bucks.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 23, 2015

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Boosh! posted:

I'm thinking Knicks ceiling is ROTY and the floor would have to be even funnier than the dude who quit his job before the season started in order to attend all 82 games.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I don't know what I enjoy more, that people think the Lakers #2 pick is worth DeMarcus Cousins or that Lakers fans don't want him for a package of picks in this years draft.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Devin Booker, Stanley Johnson, and Trey Lyles seem to be the wildcards of the lottery. I've seen them all mocked from 7 to 15

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It'd be really cool if the Mavs could draft someone that's still on the team in 4 years.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dejan Bimble posted:

Devin Booker, Stanley Johnson, and Trey Lyles seem to be the wildcards of the lottery. I've seen them all mocked from 7 to 15

Out of Booker and Dekker, both of whom I am not thrilled with Detroit taking at 8 but seeing mocked to them there, which would you be more pleased with?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

rabidsquid posted:

Out of Booker and Dekker, both of whom I am not thrilled with Detroit taking at 8 but seeing mocked to them there, which would you be more pleased with?
I only watched them both in the tournament, my knowledge is mostly from youtube clips, so don't take this is as gospel.

Booker, because he has a higher ceiling. People are comparing him to Klay Thompson as a college player, because he's a sg who shoots threes and isn't incredibly athletic, and is a bit slow on his feet. They both have high basketball iqs and fathers who played professional basketball. His best case scenario is a very valuable player, worst case would be that he can't make threes in the NBA and is out of the league..

Dekker is a jack of all trades. He's like a more athletic, more dynamic Mike Dunleavy Jr. His best position in the NBA is probably 'playmaking 4' but he might not be able to defend most power forwards down low, because of his short arms.

There's a decent chance that they both become role players and nothing more. There are always tradeoffs in the late lottery.

My prefence is Hezonja, Booker, Johnson, Lyles, then Dekker. I'd pick WCS if he was there, but I don't know about his medical issues.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Don't like the Dunleavy comparison. Dekker isn't as good a shooter and is more athletic. Someone on ESPN compared him to Jeff Green and I really like that.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Spacebump posted:

It'd be really cool if the Mavs could draft someone that's still on the team in 4 years.

As a burgeoning Mavs fan and lifelong Arkansas fan, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping Portis was around at 21, but I'm doubting it.

I know Carlisle's rep isn't favorable for rookies period, but I definitely think he'd be a good coach for Bobby.

It also kills me that Qualls got injured :(

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Wouldn't touch Dekker with a 10 foot pole if he is jeff green

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

Wouldn't touch Dekker with a 10 foot pole if he is jeff green

Eh depends on where he goes. Mid first round that's actually pretty good. I don't love Dekker but Jeff Green would historically be good value in like the early 20s/late teens. NBA drafts fall off a lot faster than people think

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 23, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

Don't like the Dunleavy comparison. Dekker isn't as good a shooter and is more athletic. Someone on ESPN compared him to Jeff Green and I really like that.

That guy has been reprimanded for making cross-racial comparisons.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's only a Dunleavy comp if there was a combine for cheap shots and bow-throwin'

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Who is the best Euro the Knicks can draft at 4? Not a European player, just the player most likely to end up in Euroleague with Frederick Weis

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I actually believe Michael Sweetney is still making his way down to the podium

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dejan Bimble posted:

My prefence is Hezonja, Booker, Johnson, Lyles, then Dekker. I'd pick WCS if he was there, but I don't know about his medical issues.

Booker seems like such a natural fit for Detroit I'm surprised he isn't mocked there more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

:monocle:

• Locked thread