Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

BERGfu posted:

((\$|USD).(Gil|gil))|((Gil|gil).(\$|USD))
Promotion
PVPG[0oO]
[gG]i1
====
\d+%\s+[bB]onus
\d+%\s*[o0O]ff
[fF]ast [dD]elivery
[dD]elivery in \d+
[Cc]heapest\s*[gG][i1I][lL]

Irrelevant since Guildwork is broken now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Velveteen posted:

People in this game are surprisingly nice. People actually explain fights to you if you tell them you're new and its your first time for dungeons instead of rolling their eyes and groaning about it. Maybe because I'm doing the low level dungeons and everything changes when it gets higher. Also running around doing my quests I'd get random whispers asking how I'm enjoying the game and if I needed help in anything because they saw the sproutling beside my name. Its not just one person either, I've gotten dozen of these whispers already. Its really strange and somewhat frightening how nice everyone is being.

It's nice to see when some players learn the abilities that you teach them to use. They'll progressively get better, like they'll actually turn off cleric stance when they heal. Then you have GLDs that refuse to use savage blade over riot blade because dps then say "whoa, you mean I should actually have flash on my hotbar??" :shepface:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Lastgirl posted:

drat!~

I just have fond memories of Benediction in those 50 dungeons while the tank was crying and I'd just time it absolutely perfectly, he expected to die on the spot so he stopped moving. It was so clutch that I think he was a bit dumbfounded for a few seconds before doing a taunt.

That's cool to know though, does it make White Mage better than Scholars~

I mean well, they always were :^)

Probably still kings of AoE healing, if only because we got two new instant cast AoE heals to back up Medica spam.

Pretty much everything new is instant cast, which rules. Very mobile feeling now. And our damage is killer between Assize/Stone III/Holy/Aero III

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Okay, after getting to 54 and getting empyreal arrow, wanderers minuet is totally worth it. Bards finally got a nuke! It's really fun loading up buffs and doing 3000 damage at once.

Can't wait for sidewinder.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3aq11s/can_all_the_bards_please_chill/csf0xxr

This post summarizes the current bard issues very well.

quote:

I just hit i179. The damage is great. The play style shift is not.

Wanderer's Minuet is currently bugged and randomly will prevent you from attacking from 1-10 seconds. This has happened to me twice so far, very rare bug.

Seeing a Straighter Shot proc and queuing the skill instantly, you will cast a full-channel Straight Shot without using the proc. Forcing you to use it twice in a row, hugely inefficient TP and DPS wise. This perplexes me especially since the game presumably has even more time to apply the buff to your character due to longer casting times.

You miss out on potential Bloodletter procs by not being able to spam it while channeling other skills. I have definitely seen this happen.

Unable to queue Flaming Arrow while channeling. You lose time and DPS by dedicating that second or so to use the skill and place it.

Using Repelling Shot, landing, then queuing your Heavy Shot spam, the Heavy Shot will be interrupted, and you'll have to recast it.

After applying your dots the first time, you have to pause before using Sidewinder, or else it won't proc as having both DoTs. Slightly inefficient, we'd like to spam it immediately.

AoE vs DoTs: The Clunkening. Rain of Death now shares a timer with Bloodletter, so we have to unlearn spamming Bloodletter during AoE rotation. Also what do you do when you're fighting, let's say a 4-pack of equal sized mobs?

Do you DoT one or more of them for increased chance for Rain of Death? There are no more free AoE procs otherwise, and BRD took a big hit in the AoE department.

Buffs mean nothing anymore. You spam them at the beginning, then there is no reason to not turn them on as they become available. Seems lazy.

If I wanted to play a class that was forced to stand still and cancel casts, I'd play a loving BLM.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

mightygerm posted:

quote:

If I wanted to play a class that was forced to stand still and cancel casts, I'd play a loving BLM.

Ah, yes, the class that is now exactly identical to BLM in every single way. It is now literally BLM, in every single function and skill that it uses.

I sure wish I could turn off Minuet but oh well!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Minrad posted:

Probably still kings of AoE healing, if only because we got two new instant cast AoE heals to back up Medica spam.

Pretty much everything new is instant cast, which rules. Very mobile feeling now. And our damage is killer between Assize/Stone III/Holy/Aero III

Niiiceee

I sometimes liked to spam medica for the aggro pull and heal myself instead for shits and giggles. It made some uptights mad too, the same kind of uptights that hate fluid aura. IMO a good white mage heals and throws those DoTs, aero is a must onto prioritized enemies while watching the aggro bar and not wasting mp, depending.

So now they're more mobile meaning I anticipate the higher dungeons include some severely punishing AoEs and floor is lava scenarios?

Also what is a good server these days? It's been like.. almost 2 years for me, about.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
world of darkness makes me want ot kill myself

please

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Hivac posted:

Ah, yes, the class that is now exactly identical to BLM in every single way. It is now literally BLM, in every single function and skill that it uses.

I sure wish I could turn off Minuet but oh well!

You would have a point if they actually added skills that worked outside of Minuet. Or if Minuet didn't have a 3 second cast time, making swapping stances in combat a dps loss. Or if Minuet was a flat DPS upgrade, instead of tradeoff by losing autos and adding cast times.

But regardless of all that, you can't deny that the Bard playstyle has basically taken a 180 from what it was in ARR. You surely realize that saying ' but just dont use the 50+ skills!!!' is a dumb argument.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

mightygerm posted:

But regardless of all that, you can't deny that the Bard playstyle has basically taken a 180 from what it was in ARR. You surely realize that saying ' but just dont use the 50+ skills!!!' is a dumb argument.

The amount of times I stopped and thought "man, I'm sure glad I was able to move" as BRD are very little. I dunno if that's because I didn't do ridiculous progression raiding but I really never felt like it was a huge plus for the class. I dunno!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
the anime is leaking

also

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Kuvo posted:

the anime is leaking

also

Time to change up my retainers.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Same retainer.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Kuvo posted:

the anime is leaking

Somebody posted a particular quote for that retainer personality type in FC chat where the retainer dropped the act and calls the hero a pervert.

e;FB ^^^

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

mightygerm posted:

You would have a point if they actually added skills that worked outside of Minuet. Or if Minuet didn't have a 3 second cast time, making swapping stances in combat a dps loss. Or if Minuet was a flat DPS upgrade, instead of tradeoff by losing autos and adding cast times.

To be fair...it seems almost every job has had some massive change. Monk is maybe the most similar at a glance but I'm no monk expert. I guess smn also got more in the 'finisher' department then changing core mechanics. But every is reeling with some kind of change to core play styles which means maybe jobs you liked previously are now different.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
She's an independent au ra female that don't need no man

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kitfox88 posted:

world of darkness makes me want ot kill myself

please

I'd say it's overall more fun that Syrcus Tower, although Syrcus has some really cool boss fights.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Hivac posted:

The amount of times I stopped and thought "man, I'm sure glad I was able to move" as BRD are very little. I dunno if that's because I didn't do ridiculous progression raiding but I really never felt like it was a huge plus for the class. I dunno!

Having a near 100% uptime on damage dealing no matter what mechanics are taking place is a pretty big deal and goes a long way to making up for your otherwise lackluster DPS

Bland fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 22, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Eimi posted:

To be fair...it seems almost every job has had some massive change. Monk is maybe the most similar at a glance but I'm no monk expert. I guess smn also got more in the 'finisher' department then changing core mechanics. But every is reeling with some kind of change to core play styles which means maybe jobs you liked previously are now different.

every single black mage is rubbing their hands together and saying "yesss, yessssssss" over and over again while cackling with glee over this bard stuff

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Velveteen posted:

People in this game are surprisingly nice. People actually explain fights to you if you tell them you're new and its your first time for dungeons instead of rolling their eyes and groaning about it. Maybe because I'm doing the low level dungeons and everything changes when it gets higher. Also running around doing my quests I'd get random whispers asking how I'm enjoying the game and if I needed help in anything because they saw the sproutling beside my name. Its not just one person either, I've gotten dozen of these whispers already. Its really strange and somewhat frightening how nice everyone is being.

Someone helped me relearn Blm, told me I needed to be using fire 1(yes I totally forgot how to blm after quitting a year ago). And I had a group that had 2 people that left after being complete assholes. Seems like a normal population of an mmo.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 22, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can Wanderer's Requiem be used alongside other songs? If not, is it even a bigger buff than Foe's Requiem if you have a BLM/SMN in the party?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

cheetah7071 posted:

Can Wanderer's Requiem be used alongside other songs? If not, is it even a bigger buff than Foe's Requiem if you have a BLM/SMN in the party?

It can be used with other songs and doesn't cost any MP

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

every single black mage is rubbing their hands together and saying "yesss, yessssssss" over and over again while cackling with glee over this bard stuff

We would be, but we're too busy crying over Enochian.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Eimi posted:

the best way to deal with your own problems is to laugh at someone else's

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All Bards should just switch to Summoner and Dragoon, Geiskogul and Deathflare are basically the coolest.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Eimi posted:

I having delaying casting again to see if I get a proc. Should I just be riding the gcd and canceling out for fire starter procs?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The cast times with minuet are way shorter than BLM's. If you're already used to clipping them it barely effects your mobility at all. You still have plenty of off-GCDs and buffs you can pop while moving or when you get straighter shot.

The fact that you can no longer literally kite forever while doing full DPS isn't really a huge deal.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i am tim! posted:

Somebody posted a particular quote for that retainer personality type in FC chat where the retainer dropped the act and calls the hero a pervert.

e;FB ^^^

The (self-)awareness level on the part of the localization team is loving staggering sometimes, jesus christ :stare:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bland posted:

It can be used with other songs and doesn't cost any MP

Question: What's stopping Bards from not using WM, except for when you need it to extend DoTs or whatever?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Question: What's stopping Bards from not using WM, except for when you need it to extend DoTs or whatever?

3 second cast time

Begemot posted:

The cast times with minuet are way shorter than BLM's. If you're already used to clipping them it barely effects your mobility at all. You still have plenty of off-GCDs and buffs you can pop while moving or when you get straighter shot.

The fact that you can no longer literally kite forever while doing full DPS isn't really a huge deal.

It is when your "full dps" is noticeably lower than every other DPS class (Except MCH, rip)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Bismarck :vince:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dreffen posted:

Early on I'll pop it for Power Slash (or if I feel like I need the extra enmity), but generally I use it to buff up Dark Dance or Dark Passenger for blind on trash.

I don't use it and dark passenger unless I've got over 50% mana either, generally.

e: I'll also Dark Arts a Soul Eater if I've got high mp and high threat and don't have to worry about either in the immediate future.

I only just noticed that it buffs Dark Dance. Oops :downs:. 30% evasion sounds like a pretty loving good tank cooldown to me, assuming it's additive to your base evasion rate.

DRK threat is odd. It seems at times that others cannot possibly catch up to my threat levels so I can freely DA Souleater and ignore Power Slash entirely, other times the DPS manage to sneak up on me threat-wise while I'm too low on MP to bullet back ahead.

It seems like screwing up as DRK gets them hosed a lot harder than the other two tanks. Run out of MP and Darkside drops, some of your biggest threat tools are unavailable and whoops that add just peeled off but you can't get it back and regen mana at the same time because not enough's attacking you for pact to regen your MP and :suicide:

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Velveteen posted:

I got to level 17 before realizing there was a tab for abilities and traits and such where we have the dash and teleport skills as well as skills unlocked from other classes. This whole time I've been walking around like some plebeian when I could've been dashing or teleporting to crystals! I've been having a lot of fun on the trial. I haven't played a FF game in years (last one being 10) and everything feels very FF from the generic bad guy who kills his own men to show off how evil he is to that chocobo music when fast traveling to a town which has been stuck in my head all day. To be honest I had really low expectations for the game when starting. I heard about this game when it was first released and everyone said it was the worst game made so I completely forgotten about its existence until recently when I saw goons arguing about this in another thread. It certainly scratches that mmo itch that I've been having.

Don't feel bad, I didn't know about teleport and dash either. At least until I read your post :suicide:

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
My Collector's box came, should I take the expertly crafted dragon out of it's box or leave it in there?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

MikeyLikesIt posted:

My Collector's box came, should I take the expertly crafted dragon out of it's box or leave it in there?

Melt it down and forge a weapon from it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SiliconX posted:

Don't feel bad, I didn't know about teleport and dash either. At least until I read your post :suicide:

The thing that I don't understand is why that tab is bound to P.

Also is there a way to edit the HUD through a config file? I found some .dat files in my game folders that might be it, but opening them up just shows a huge list of numbers amidst incomprehensible text.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 22, 2015

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
That bard post pretty much covers all my problems with the post 50 skills. It just feels like such a huge departure from everything pre-50.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

The (self-)awareness level on the part of the localization team is loving staggering sometimes, jesus christ :stare:

It feels somewhat hit and miss early game, but the more I'm diving into it, the more I'm impressed by the writing. Its shlocky but its well written shlock at least! :allears:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Is there a trick to scaling the UI of this game beyond the "default size" thing on the configuration? That only seems to affect HUD items and not things like inventory windows or the ludicrously tiny text tooltips.

If not, I guess I'm doomed to playing this game in 720p on my 1080p TV :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

bonewitch posted:

That bard post pretty much covers all my problems with the post 50 skills. It just feels like such a huge departure from everything pre-50.

That's cool as long as you have the self awareness to realize why literally no one else feels bad for you over it.

• Locked thread