Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guillermus posted:

Got a link for that? I'd love to play some Hexen with less confusing maps.

It's the official expansion, Deathkings of the Dark Citadel (HEXDD.WAD). It's on Steam, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ah, didn't recognize the acronym. To the steam backlog then thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Speaking of Hexen, is there a wad or anything that contains the CD soundtrack? I don't think I've ever heard it before.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

doom retro is really nice, but i hate not having y-axis mouselook, i dont care if it looks like poo poo with the 2.5d rendering, i just feel uncomfortable not being able to look around.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FirstPersonShitter posted:

doom retro is really nice, but i hate not having y-axis mouselook, i dont care if it looks like poo poo with the 2.5d rendering, i just feel uncomfortable not being able to look around.

I do appreciate Brutal Doom in this respect, in that you can target specific parts of enemies' bodies.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That's hella neat, it calculates the value to increment the pointer by during each loop iteration and modifies the operand of the add instruction before calling the loop, which saves a lot of CPU time because it doesn't need to do any logic or fetch the value from RAM or anything when the loop is executing.

On present-day CPUs that kind of optimization isn't even worth thinking about but it shows you what kind of lengths Carmack had to go through to even get Doom working on the hardwareo f the time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FirstPersonShitter posted:

To each their own. I love having the y axis locked and not having to worry about aiming vertically. I think it's a big reason (obviously) why Doom feels so very different from modern FPSs. It's more Robotron than CoD.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You can split the difference and use PRboom+ OpenGL mode. Gain the ability to mouselook, remain firing on the same horizontal plane!

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
What's happening with that Exhumed/Powerslave PC port? The blog is all redacted. Has it gone dark completely?

One of my proudest gaming accomplishments was managing to get all the developer dolls in the Saturn version. Even the lazer maze one. Only to discover that Death Tank wasn't included in the European version of the game :cry:

joedevola fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 22, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jordan7hm posted:

To each their own. I love having the y axis locked and not having to worry about aiming vertically. I think it's a big reason (obviously) why Doom feels so very different from modern FPSs. It's more Robotron than CoD.

Yeah I actually kinda like having the y axis locked too.

And yeah, that's the biggest difference between modern FPS and Doom. Doom is closer to Robotron than it is to CoD or Halo, by FAR.

You could play Doom just from the map screen if you got it to render enemies, and it would literally be robotron with more complicated levels.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Jordan7hm posted:

yeah, aiming up and down basically makes no difference with how doom works, but its just become so natural to me over the years.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

joedevola posted:

What's happening with that Exhumed/Powerslave PC port? The blog is all redacted. Has it gone dark completely?

I've tried to find out, but basically everyone I know who is in the know considers Kaiser to be a bit of a stubborn rear end in a top hat and wants little to do with him. The most likely case is that he probably got a takedown notice because he included the game data in his source port. He also was in contact with the rights holders from the very start and it appears he released his port to grab their attention. It seems to have worked.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

TerminusEst13 posted:

<Linguica> lol so what happened with powerslave ex
<Kaiser> its dead. move along
<Kaiser> and since I am not allowed to talk about it, just assume that
<Kaiser> give it 6 months or so until the dust has settled and then I'll see what I can do

Can't get much more clear than this, unfortunately.

In short, he got a C&D from whoever the gently caress owns it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The whole Powerslave EX situation was so god drat bizarre. Kaiser literally came out and said "I know the person(s) that own the rights to this game, and I know they're currently doing something with it, but I'm still going to continue making my port and releasing it with the game assets for some idiot reason so people can play it for free until I get a cease and desist."

He ended up getting a C&D! :monocle:

Whatever. Anything that keeps him working on Turok EX is okay in my book.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Incidentally, today is the 19th anniversary of Quake. :dance:

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Quake 19, Deus Ex 15, Transformers: War for Cybertron 5.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Shadow Hog posted:

I feel loving old

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Shadow Hog posted:

Just the shareware version for anyone playing along at home. The registered version's release date is the day before QuakeCon this year, actually, July 22nd.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
15 years since Deus Ex came out. Yeesh

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

site posted:

What a game.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

I say celebrate by booting up some bots and playing some DM.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

site posted:

Gotta listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1oxIrAX39M

And then watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js02m-7qHyE

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

site posted:

Cant beliebe I've been playing trough this game at least once every year since it came out :newlol:

e: tho i guess this is also the case with Doom I / II

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

That was pretty close to the end result…

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just watch the Malkavian mod videos.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This is still my phone ring tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8vFqY6XDo

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Most importantly, The Recut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

Speaking of Hexen, is there a wad or anything that contains the CD soundtrack? I don't think I've ever heard it before.

Yes this guide has both CD/N64 music.
I used the N64 music in both Hexen and DotDC and it worked fine. CD should too :)

Also about that Hexen II strafing speed. When I say faster I mean like helluva faster. Tapping A/D while moving forward pretty much makes me fast as if I am bunny-hopping or something. Maybe it's supposed to be like this, but I just found it odd :v:

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 22, 2015

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

Nokiaman posted:

Also about that Hexen II strafing speed. When I say faster I mean like helluva faster. Tapping A/D while moving forward pretty much makes me fast as if I am bunny-hopping or something. Maybe it's supposed to be like this, but I just found it odd :v:
That's how it works. You can bunnyhop *while* doing that as well, if you want ludicrous speed. Do it with the Crusader so you can also rocket jump! :v: (or the Assassin if you're either very good or suicidal)

Hexen 2 is a great game, too bad its level design makes the original Hexen's hubs look like a straight linear corridor. One day I will have my revenge, Thysis. One day.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Sonic Augmentation remixes are pretty good too

Humans Among Us posted:

Cant beliebe I've been playing trough this game at least once every year since it came out :newlol:

e: tho i guess this is also the case with Doom I / II

Same. Might load it up tonight for the anniversary...

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Every time I play through Deus Ex I discover something entirely new. Whether it's a conversation, an area, a different way to solve a problem, whatever, each new playthrough has revealed something that I didn't know existed before.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I don't know why people rag on Hexen 2's level design; I personally found it waaaaaaaaay less confusing than the original. Okay, granted, the Egypt hub was pretty confusing, but other than that, I don't recall having to even refer to a strategy guide or anything. Plus the combat felt a lot less bullet spongey... I find it pretty funny that the original Hexen is the first FPS I can think of where the term "bullet sponge" fits, what with the actual game having no bullets, but there you go.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I need to play Deus Ex some time... I also need to get around to System Shock 2...

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I don't know why people rag on Hexen 2's level design; I personally found it waaaaaaaaay less confusing than the original. Okay, granted, the Egypt hub was pretty confusing, but other than that, I don't recall having to even refer to a strategy guide or anything. Plus the combat felt a lot less bullet spongey... I find it pretty funny that the original Hexen is the first FPS I can think of where the term "bullet sponge" fits, what with the actual game having no bullets, but there you go.
I dunno, while every Ettin has more health than a Demon every Hexen weapon also hits like a truck. The Serpent Staff is a slightly slower Plasma Rifle and that's the worst blue mana weapon.

And it's always the Egypt hub. gently caress that hub forever, it ruined my childhood. :smith: The first hub is also miserable the first time around. Everything else is fine and straightforward, but then again most hubs are fine and straightforward in Hexen 1 yet everyone always remembers the Seven Portals and Castle of Grief. Hexen's puzzles do that to people.

Oh, and swamp levels. Every Hexen wad, official or not, has to have a terrible swamp level.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

Just watch the Malkavian mod videos.

Oh poo poo, I've never seen these before. I am laughing my loving rear end off right now. I need to install this.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh poo poo, I've never seen these before. I am laughing my loving rear end off right now. I need to install this.
The hatch code is 12232113333332121132231321133212113.

Watch out for the Karkian, though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My little sister just Steam-gifted me Deux Ex for my birthday. :3: Never played it before so that should be a nice experience.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so anyone know how to get Doom RPG(and the DoomRLA and RL Monster Pack) working using ZDL?

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

drrockso20 posted:

so anyone know how to get Doom RPG(and the DoomRLA and RL Monster Pack) working using ZDL?

What, specifically, are you having trouble with? The Github page for DoomRPG has a very good guide on exactly how to get it working with DoomRLA/Monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SilentW posted:

What, specifically, are you having trouble with? The Github page for DoomRPG has a very good guide on exactly how to get it working with DoomRLA/Monsters.

well I'm lazy and computer illiterate enough that I don't want to mess with making batch or shell files(one of the reasons I use ZDL, cause it makes running Doom simple as hell), but when I try to set up ZDL to launch DoomRPG I can't figure out how to get it running with that(turns out there's no issues with DoomRLA and RL Monsters cause those are just WAD files and ZDL can handle those easily)