Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

I happened on this group right about the time the Midorka War I was going on. I ended up getting in a short post-fight with him after he said some pretty ridiculous things about how to run a liquor store. But overall, I found him to be knowledgeable and likeable.

I wasn't around for "Midorka War I" and had no idea that was a thing until now. Regardless, Midorka's breakdown was pretty amazing and I'm proud to have been the tipping point.

Also, if any Chicago goons are interested, I *might* have a line on some Off Color Radiolaria if any of you missed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I'll always remember the time he talked poo poo on Anti Hero and I told him to gently caress off then ended up going out for a beer with him on his Bday. RIP Midorka

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

LeafHouse posted:

I'll always remember the time he talked poo poo on Anti Hero and I told him to gently caress off then ended up going out for a beer with him on his Bday. RIP Midorka

Anti-Hero is a crappy IPA and you should feel bad for drinking it.

That said, always drink more Revolution!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

This is why this is the best beer community. Also you are all a bunch of scrub-tier new money poseurs with weak palates.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Compusaurus posted:

Anti-Hero is a crappy IPA and you should feel bad for drinking it.

That said, always drink more Revolution!

Says the guy who would willingly drink Mango Magnifico...

RevTalk: tried some fist city yesterday. drat fine stuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HatfulOfHollow posted:

This is why this is the best beer community. Also you are all a bunch of scrub-tier new money poseurs with weak palates.

Fully agree

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

LeafHouse posted:

Says the guy who would willingly drink Mango Magnifico...

RevTalk: tried some fist city yesterday. drat fine stuff.

To be fair, you were all right and I was horribly horribly wrong regarding Mango Magnifico. God was that awful.

Fist City is solid, 1Z Enuff is really really good (and only $15 for a 10.8% six pack), and Wicked Fist is just meh. I blame Wicked Weed for that more than anything though. If anyone can make it down to the brewpub, they have Civil Unrest on which, for me, is one of their best IPAs. As a bonus, they have the same beer on cask that is dry hopped with some hop I can't remember. Really really awesome stuff.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Mikkeller
Evil Twin
Tipping
Circumcision
Pumpkin Beer

:getin:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

a worthy uhh posted:

Mikkeller
Evil Twin
Tipping
Circumcision
Pumpkin Beer

:getin:

quote:

Smells include the deepest dark black malt roastiness, fruity cherry flesh, bile acidity, tinny metallics, bright soapy and tropical nectary hoppiness, emollient essence, buttery diacetyls, toasted coconut meat, drying cocoa powder, cologne muskiness, cold pressed coffee coolness, weedy florals, white flour, dried corn, manure funk, diabetic foot ulcer purulence (in the most oddly delicious way possible), and cooked brown sugar cloy.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
This sounds amazing, if only I didn't have plans already:

quote:

Saturday, July 4th

Live music from 2pm to 10pm with Kelsey Mousley Band, Aaron Mark Brown and his band, James Kindle and the Eastern Oregon Playboys, The Quick and Easy Boys, and Tango Alpha Tango.

The 3-Day 3-Way IPA party begins in the courtyard (*festival cup required for these beers*). Select picks from Gigantic, Lompoc, Boneyard, Block 15, Georgetown, Pfriem, and Fort George, all chosen by the brewery owners. Plus fresh batches of 3-Way IPA 2013 (Gigantic, Lompoc, Fort George), 3-Way IPA 2014 (Block 15, Boneyard, Fort George), and 3-Way IPA 2015 (Georgetown, Pfriem, Fort George) brewed exclusively for this Independence Day celebration. Taps open at 2pm following The Star-Spangled Banner.

Fireworks over the Columbia River at dusk.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

Also, if any Chicago goons are interested, I *might* have a line on some Off Color Radiolaria if any of you missed out.

It's on the shelf at the Lakeview Binny's. Or at least it was when I was there on Saturday. There was a gamut of Lodgson's stuff too, including Oak Aged Bretta.

Also, Midorka was great to hang out with in-person. Too bad he exploded.

On Revchat, Fist City is awesome. It's replacing Anti-Hero in my Rev can purchase lineup. I just wish they would can Cross of Gold already.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I still think he'll be back. They always come back.

besides, he's still wrong so he needs re-education

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChickenArise posted:

I still think he'll be back. They always come back.

besides, he's still wrong so he needs re-education

Setting us up for... MIDORKA WAR III: THE NUCLEAR OPTION.

Beer talk: yesterday I drank a 2013 Oro De Calabaza and it was good. Weirdly, it came off sweeter than I think it is fresh. But the brett was super fruity so maybe that was the reason? I dunno. I don't know if I'd recommend holding onto bottles of this but it doesn't hurt.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i hope midorka stays away forever (and i type that knowing he probably still reads the thread)

in my rush to hate on the garbage Atlas beer that i drank last night, i forgot to mention that i opened a Lost Nation Lost Galaxy, which all five of us thought had brett in it. i don't recall galaxy hops tasting like that, but it doesn't look like there are people on the internet talking about infection, either. hmm.

also opened my last Flanders Fred the other day and was pretty disappointed. if you've had it a few times and still have a bottle i'd sit on it for a while to see if the HotD side comes out.

oh, change the thread title to "what we talk about when we talk about midorka"

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

So I went to a cidery opening last weekend, and on 6/27 there's a Crux anniversary party (+ sour release), a Deschutes anniversary party (+ Black Butte XXVII release), and a new 30-tap beer bar opening downtown (across the street from Deschutes). Bend keeps on Bendin'. I think I'll focus on my sticking to my exercise regimen 'til then.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Compusaurus posted:

I wasn't around for "Midorka War I" and had no idea that was a thing until now. Regardless, Midorka's breakdown was pretty amazing and I'm proud to have been the tipping point.

Radiolaria is all over still. I'm waiting on the Corybantic

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

danbanana posted:

Beer talk: yesterday I drank a 2013 Oro De Calabaza and it was good. Weirdly, it came off sweeter than I think it is fresh. But the brett was super fruity so maybe that was the reason? I dunno. I don't know if I'd recommend holding onto bottles of this but it doesn't hurt.

I don't know what it is about where I live, but this one store seems to have an endless supply of 2012 Oro De Calabaza. Maybe I'm the only one buying it? That said, I've never had one fresher than 2 years old, which is weird because they get a case or two of stuff now and then from JP with relatively recent bottle dates. Either way, I like it and will continue to buy it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I think I'll focus on my sticking to my exercise regimen 'til then.

walking from brewery to brewery?

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

funkybottoms posted:

walking from brewery to brewery?

Don't forget the 12oz bicep curls.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

trauma llama posted:

Radiolaria is all over still. I'm waiting on the Corybantic

I guess I didn't realize it was still all over. My barometer for beer selling out quickly is Binny's on Grand which tends to sell out incredibly quickly whereas other stores have their stock sitting.

Corybantic was definitely bottled as of a week ago so I suspect it'll be out soon.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So, I'm willing to say Boston > Vermont.

Hill Farmstead and Trillium are two of my favorite breweries but at this point I'm giving the nod to Trillium as their IPAs/Pale Ales are just so drat juicy. HF is the king of farmhouse though.

That being said, I failed at my Trillium mission. I bought an entire case of tradeables so I could acquire some stuff (deGarde, Rare Barrel, Chicago distro) and we left the entire box on the bedroom floor at her parents 5+hours away. Her dad loves beer and sent her the money for it, but it pissed me off that I finally had extra cash just to buy trade bait, and I failed to bring it back.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Vertigo posted:

So, I'm willing to say Boston > Vermont.

Hill Farmstead and Trillium are two of my favorite breweries but at this point I'm giving the nod to Trillium as their IPAs/Pale Ales are just so drat juicy. HF is the king of farmhouse though.

That being said, I failed at my Trillium mission. I bought an entire case of tradeables so I could acquire some stuff (deGarde, Rare Barrel, Chicago distro) and we left the entire box on the bedroom floor at her parents 5+hours away. Her dad loves beer and sent her the money for it, but it pissed me off that I finally had extra cash just to buy trade bait, and I failed to bring it back.

You forgot Lawson's and Fiddlehead and Alchemist. Trillium is good, but...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

a worthy uhh posted:

You forgot Lawson's and Fiddlehead and Alchemist. Trillium is good, but...

...they need to let their beers finish fermentation?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

You guys are being awful mean about a guy who channeled his autism (allegedly in my opinion) into a love for craft beer

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Wamsutta posted:

You guys are being awful mean about a guy who channeled his autism (allegedly in my opinion) into a love for craft beer

:chanpop:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Midorka was tip of the iceberg on the beer-autism spectrum. Have you ever read a thread on BA or TalkBeer?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Wamsutta posted:

Let's Talk Beer 3: Channeling Autism Into Love

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

Let's Talk Beer 3: Channeling Autism Into Love

funneling

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Siphoning

No, wait!

Let's Talk Beer 3: Buttchugging Autism Into Love

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

ChickenArise posted:

Siphoning

No, wait!

Let's Talk Beer 3: Buttchugging Autism Into Love

:vince:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Let's make a callback to an old classic:

Let's Talk Beer 3: Tape-Blasting Autism Into Love

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Let's Talk Beer 3: FT: Bottle Bombs of Autism. ISO: Love

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
My wife is in Ft. Lauderdale so I told her to go to Funky Buddha for me. What exactly should I ask her to look for?

edit: Just wondering what beers are the stand-outs. I'm not worried about particular styles. I like just about everything style wise.

U.S. Barryl fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 23, 2015

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

U.S. Barryl posted:

My wife is in Ft. Lauderdale so I told her to go to Funky Buddha for me. What exactly should I ask her to look for?

edit: Just wondering what beers are the stand-outs. I'm not worried about particular styles. I like just about everything style wise.

They're doing a special release growler tonight at 7pm, I have no idea what it is but it's a counter-pressure filled growler so it'll last. They still have More Moro(Blood Orange IPA) 4-packs in the tasting room too. I don't think there's anything else she could bring you, but the key lime berliner and "I'm So Excited I'm Scared" are both pretty good and on tap now.

Maybe ask her to swing by a big chain liquor store too(Total Wine, Crown, ABC), it seems like Cigar City "Seasonal Creep" made it to stores today.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Catfish Noodlin posted:

They're doing a special release growler tonight at 7pm, I have no idea what it is but it's a counter-pressure filled growler so it'll last. They still have More Moro(Blood Orange IPA) 4-packs in the tasting room too. I don't think there's anything else she could bring you, but the key lime berliner and "I'm So Excited I'm Scared" are both pretty good and on tap now.

Maybe ask her to swing by a big chain liquor store too(Total Wine, Crown, ABC), it seems like Cigar City "Seasonal Creep" made it to stores today.

Man I picked a good day to go to the store then, I found a bunch of creep just sitting there. I'm debating drinking it on the hottest day of the summer, or the one day people consider "winter" around here.

But here's what's on tap at FB, https://funkybuddhabrewery.com/brewery/currently-tap , i suggest the key lime berliner and the I'm so Excited, I'm so scared stout.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Hey Chicago goons, I have a friend driving up there from Houston and he's looking to score Straight Jacket and the Off Color/Jester King collab. What stores still have some on the shelf?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

air- posted:

Hey Chicago goons, I have a friend driving up there from Houston and he's looking to score Straight Jacket and the Off Color/Jester King collab. What stores still have some on the shelf?

I am pretty sure that Beer Temple has a couple cases of Straight Jacket. Radiolaria(Off Color/Jester King) was still at West Lakeview liquors last Saturday, but there is a good chance it might be gone as it is quickly drying up all over the city right now. If he strikes out at those places he could try Maria's Packaged Goods. They still have Straight Jacket listed as in, but they are out of Radiolaria.

Tell your friend to go to Beer Temple first though, because they should still have Straight Jacket and might have Radiolaria and also because Chris, the owner of Beer Temple, is one of the nicest best dudes I have ever met and completely deserves every cent he earns.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 24, 2015

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Thanks, guys. She got me a couple bombers of Moro Moro, a growler of Hop Gun and OP Porter. The growlers should be alright (I hope) she's coming home tomorrow.

Edit: And two sixers of Jai Alai

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

air- posted:

air- posted:

Shaumburg Binny's had case upon case of radiolaria. Radiolaria is very good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
Destihl's Lynnbrook Raspberry Sour is very good and I sort of want to get another 4 pk but I'm scared of running into the consistency issues that others have reported. It has a very nice balance of raspberry and sour. It's a shame that they have had quality control issues as of late.