Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Anoia posted:

I think it was established before that the top guys in development always fail upwards. Hell, John Romero is still around.

yeah his career sure did pick up after daikatana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
The thing is they'll keep pumping out poo poo and acting like the next time will be different.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It was always amusing to me that Ion Storm produced one of the best games of all time in Deus Ex but had nothing to do with Romero during development as he was polishing the turd that is Daikatana.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

12 step programs really do help you quit things it turns out

Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002
So with the FF14 expansion and WoW's 6.2, who the hell is going to be playing this game?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

cupcakes

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Gaybee posted:

So with the FF14 expansion and WoW's 6.2, who the hell is going to be playing this game?

I agree with FFXIV but 6.2's gonna be crap if you aren't raiding. WoW's been spinning its wheels since WoD's release.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gaybee posted:

The same idiots who played this game when wod came out and ff released its patches.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Vanderdeath posted:

I agree with FFXIV but 6.2's gonna be crap if you aren't raiding. WoW's been spinning its wheels since WoD's release.
I thought 6.2 added a shitload of stuff though? A new zone, a whole storyline to make a dock and warship at your garrison, some other stuff. Did that all end up being hype?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Pierson posted:

I thought 6.2 added a shitload of stuff though? A new zone, a whole storyline to make a dock and warship at your garrison, some other stuff. Did that all end up being hype?

Holy crap wow is adding MORE garrison stuff?!!?!

SIGN ME THE gently caress UP!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Pierson posted:

Tanaan's effectively a zone just for doing Apexis dailies and rep grinds in and the shipyards are another garrison grind on top of your other garrison stuff, complete with different resources and followers (ships) that can be lost if you fail.

I still like WoW but WoD is starting to make Cataclysm look like a goddamned masterpiece when it comes to having meaningful non-raiding content.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Vanderdeath posted:

I don't remember it ever being different.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Vanderdeath posted:

the shipyards are another garrison grind on top of your other garrison stuff, complete with different resources and followers (ships) that can be lost if you fail.
Oh.

Welp.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

Tanaan's effectively a zone just for doing Apexis dailies and rep grinds in and the shipyards are another garrison grind on top of your other garrison stuff, complete with different resources and followers (ships) that can be lost if you fail.

I still like WoW but WoD is starting to make Cataclysm look like a goddamned masterpiece when it comes to having meaningful non-raiding content.

Really, Blizzard did Blizzard's bizarre pendulum swing with dailies. MoP had a pretty decent system with adding story to reps, but since they were required for getting valor and justice gear the raiders absolutely hated feeling like they had to do them all, which was a somewhat understandable complaint. Rather than just making it so rep grinds are for cosmetic fun poo poo, they decided to just turn them into kill 500000 thing style things out of vanilla.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Pierson posted:

yeah you'll be able to grind a totally new mcguffin for your facebook town

cant wait to resub for this

nah

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
you forgot the legendary attunement and the following 20 weeks of increasing it's ilvl 3 at a time

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Vanderdeath posted:

There was never anything to do in wow but raiding, since when did this change? Its been that way since vanilla.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Tenzarin posted:

There was never anything to do in wow but raiding, since when did this change? Its been that way since vanilla.

MoP was very good about non-raiding. dailies and VP/JP gear

Cata was great too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

You really wanted dailies that bad? So there are no dailies in WoD? JP and VP gear was trash, I figure raid finder did away with this?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

sword_man.gif posted:

you forgot the legendary attunement and the following 20 weeks of increasing it's ilvl 3 at a time

Doesn't that end with it at an ilvl like 60 above anything else in the game?

And hell, is that even actually in the game?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Tenzarin posted:

You really wanted dailies that bad? So there are no dailies in WoD? JP and VP gear was trash, I figure raid finder did away with this?

Dailies are mostly garrison Facebook game now, and the rest are pitiful.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Tenzarin posted:

Tenzarin posted:

You really wanted dailies that bad?
Haha I made these same posts in the WoW forum when the news about the huge subscriber drop hit and the consensus seemed to be "well they're better than nothing and the other alternatives Blizzard has tried" so apparently we're in the minority.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 22, 2015

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Tenzarin posted:

I too continue to be mystified by all this non-raid, non-dailies content that was apparently in other expansions but isn't in the current one. If such content existed, I never saw it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Shadowlyger posted:

I too continue to be mystified by all this non-raid, non-dailies content that was apparently in other expansions but isn't in the current one. If such content existed, I never saw it.

The day jumping on the Orgrimmar bank was not enough. I could do it in 16 jumps.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

The "apexis grind" in WoD that most people hate involves basically doing something once per day in a random area, and that something is "kill any 50 monsters and/or click 25 things until your progress bar has filled up". The reward for doing this is 800 apexis crystals which is a generally useless currency, because you either buy gear that is worse than crafted gear or hoard a huge pile of it to purchase a lame mount. Apexis crystals also trickle in from a few other sources related to your garrison, or from grinding even more monsters in those same areas, but what's described above is roughly about it for the primary non-raiding non-garrison mission PVE end-game content.

Any other content is not really specific to Draenor, like pet battle stuff, etc.

So, yeah, in that light I kind of would like daily quests to come back. Even though the bar is pretty low, at least daily quests at least generally were less monotonous, there was usually a rotating set each day, and best of all completing them usually gradually advanced some side story or some other long term goal.

Luckily I don't mind so much because I do like raiding; raiding is the most accessible out of any MMO; and the fights so far have been really interesting with the exception of maybe one that's too long (looking at you Iron Maidens). Maybe FFXIV is just as good too. I'm okay with two games having great raiding and don't really care to argue about it (and this isn't the thread for it), but what I've played of it so far just feels a bit too slow for me personally especially on the healing side. I can easily admit though from watching streams that some of the boss fights shown so far in Heavensward look visually amazing. I wish Blizzard would rip off FFXIV's particle effects already.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
The big problem was removing JP/VP and replacing it with that dumb, useless Apexis crystal poo poo. Having dailies gives you a thing to log on and do for an hour or two. Making them required for progress was a stupid idea, in my view equally as stupid as removing them entirely.

Removing JP/VP also had the effect of removing any and all motivation to smash through five-man dungeons, which is the real crime. Let's remember, at launch you got literally nothing but gold for doing a dungeon. Then they added a token amount of garrison resources like that was some kind of loving solution.

Edit: Also the Apexis dailies mentioned above are straight-up awful, terrible quests. I'd rather do that loving Golden Lotus training mission where you dodge the spinning assholes forever than do another one, ever.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Pretty sure it's the same person. Credit to Jackard for finding it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Tenzarin posted:

I did. I never understood why anyone liked timeless isle. It felt like a return to the lovely days of EQ1. I also liked running dungeons a lot more than I liked raiding so killing the jp/vp system was tiresome.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

i liked timeless isle but lol forever at apexis poo poo

kaxman posted:

Edit: Also the Apexis dailies mentioned above are straight-up awful, terrible quests. I'd rather do that loving Golden Lotus training mission where you dodge the spinning assholes forever than do another one, ever.

tbf it wasnt that bad while they still allowed doing those in a raid group but welp no fun allowed in draenor

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 23, 2015

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Wrath was the best wow ever got.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

cthulhoo posted:

i liked timeless isle but lol forever at apexis poo poo

tbf it wasnt that bad while they still allowed doing those in a raid group but welp no fun allowed in draenor

I agree with you. Someone posted around here somewhere that what they should have done was looked at this and said "Hmm, people like doing these in raid groups. Perhaps we should add some monsters that can challenge a raid group?" and went "Nah" and just made it so you can't do them in a raid group. :effort:

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

well its par for the course with the other wod-era blizzard decisions i.e. you gonna play the ~content~ the correct way and you will enjoy it, bitch. see also anything ashran, that retarded flying debacle which could've been entirely avoided, etc etc.

then again its p cool to be in position where you are so successful still you can just tell everyone who doesnt agree with your ~game designer vision~ to gently caress off.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Wrath was the best wow ever got.

Blizz killing the weekly jp/vp thing was really dumb and regressive. It was so chill having the choice to run 7 dungeons whenever you wanted through the week instead of a daily obligation. Like why the hell do Blizzard even care about their players logging in everyday when their revenue is monthly. Missons are somehow even worse requiring attention several times a day and being able to FAIL the important gear ones on a 2 week cooldown.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Monomythian posted:

and being able to FAIL the important gear ones on a 2 week cooldown.
Having not played WoW since Wrath, what's this about? Since it sounds Wildstar-level retarded. :stare:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Asimo posted:

Having not played WoW since Wrath, what's this about? Since it sounds Wildstar-level retarded. :stare:

By playing hte facebook minigame you get heroes to send out on more facebook minigames. Every week or two you get a mission from, I believe, the next highest tier of raid that you've completed [so if you've done it on normal, you get Hard or w/e]. You then send your heroes out on a facebook minigame. Like a facebook minigame, this has a chance to fail, meaning you do not get gear from your facebook minigame for those two weeks.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Givin posted:

He spells his name with an A, so it could be a different crazy person. On the other hand, that is very much his style of crazy so it could be him.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

That's 14 hours a day every day for 2 weeks. Holy gently caress.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Nothing says "you're playing this game too much" quite like them mistaking your grinding for an automated exploit.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Givin posted:

i'm not sure what exactly those words mean, but i think it translates to something close to "I beg for the sweet release of death"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
"Dailies" are the worst thing in games right now, and only GW2 seems to get it right since you'll just incidentally finish them by playing the game the way you like.

• Locked thread