Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

site posted:

Up north abusing Canada's medical system?

My first thought as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
I think by the time anyone makes up their mind to be a professional One Of The Good Ones, their conscience is already long dead.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

How the gently caress can people honestly get mad about an in-context quote during an interview which makes a solid point? Fox News will stop at nothing to further their agenda and it's such a loving self parody at this point I can't see how anybody buys into this poo poo.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
You act like anyone who watches Fox News is ever going to see the context. They want a sound bite to push their agenda and they'll intentionally omit the context and get a bunch of Samuel L Jacksons from Django Unchained in front of cameras to prove their point.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Elderbean posted:

I honestly don't know how a black person could work for fox news without being tortured by guilt.

"I help these assholes oppress my own race every day, oh look, some money."

The best part is, if you watch that clip, is there is a Confederate flag flying on the screen behind the Fox News anchor. Just there for a moment, just there to remind the base what this is really all about.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
They can show the entire context of Obama's statement. Fox doesn't have to worry about their viewers picking up on the context. Fox News viewers are incapable of processing context when they hear the word "friend of the family" because:

1) They've gotten too excited

2) They're too busy looking around for black people so they can know whether to let their true reaction out

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
The problem is that the context makes it worse from their perspective. Obama's talking about RACE!!! AND he used the N-word (false: he mentioned it, which is very different from a use of it!)! The mere fact that he's talking about race at all is enough to get their blood pressure rising.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
If you ever want to offend a white person. Don't call them cracker or honky or whatever outdated term you can think of. Call them racist. You will never see a person sweat more than when you call them a racist. That's why they want so badly for Obama saying friend of the family to mean something. Now they can show us that it'not them who is racist but our black president.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly calling a white person a racist is way more politically incorrect than saying the n-word or some other racist slur.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SedanChair posted:

They can show the entire context of Obama's statement. Fox doesn't have to worry about their viewers picking up on the context. Fox News viewers are incapable of processing context when they hear the word "friend of the family" because:

2) They're too busy looking around for black people so they can know whether to let their true reaction out

They could, but why give anyone the chance for critical thinking? The less viewers know, the better.

Radish posted:

Honestly calling a white person a racist is way more politically incorrect than saying the n-word or some other racist slur.

lol

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Vargatron posted:

How the gently caress can people honestly get mad about an in-context quote during an interview which makes a solid point? Fox News will stop at nothing to further their agenda and it's such a loving self parody at this point I can't see how anybody buys into this poo poo.

Fox News is literally "Obama did something now let's all sit around and talk about how wrong it was."

I used to joke that they'd find some way to criticize Oblammo for having a cheeseburger for lunch. Then Hannity went and did exactly that. It doesn't matter at all what Obama did or didn't do today. Whatever it was it's wrong somehow.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Vargatron posted:

you expected any less from the party of "you didn't build that"?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Oh suuuuuuuure, when the historic first sitting black president gets into a conversation about race in the United States he gets to say friend of the family but when I want to call him one on freep while discussing how he chucks spears it's "wrong".

*patiently waiting for Todd Starnes to pat me on the back*

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I thought about that for a minute until I realized it was loving stupid and a false equivalency. I'm not being condescending here. I truly did entertain the idea for a moment and asked myself "Wait. Isn't this the same thing as this other thing?" Then I realized that, no, it is not.

Now let's talk about how black people don't tip and talk during movies.

I'm absolutely a little condescending in this and intend to be but not that much. Just 5-7%. So, why? Maybe I'm dodging all the bad video games but I don't think that I could remember playing any video game that was all 'Kill every one of those demons! We must secure a safe future for the white male protagonist uptopia!' And generally calling for one true war to wipe out everyone that's not with you.

Worst I've seen is that I get attacked and 'Welp, I don't have a Converse Peacefully button. Gotta kill em all.'

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Fox News is literally "Obama did something now let's all sit around and talk about how wrong it was."

I used to joke that they'd find some way to criticize Oblammo for having a cheeseburger for lunch. Then Hannity went and did exactly that. It doesn't matter at all what Obama did or didn't do today. Whatever it was it's wrong somehow.

Thus the common joke that if Obama declared a national holiday honoring puppies and grandmothers, the next few days would see a great many grandmothers in this country beaten to death with strangled puppies.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/glenn-beck-flying-confederate-flag-makes-no-sense-whatsoever
well holy poo poo, beck is right for once.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think conservatives are confused and think Obama is going against the Southern Strategy.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
We've seen Beck go through this cycle again and again, though. He comes out with a good, thoughtful opinion. Then he invites people on his show to talk about it. Then his opinion starts to shift with each passing guest, and now he's adamantly against what he stood for earlier.

All it took was a few interviews with David Barton and Rick Santorum to get him from "eh, let gays get married, who cares?" to "We must fight the black-robed tyrants at all cost! The gays are burning our country to the ground!"

As soon as Roy Moore comes on his program and says "Well, really, it's not about racism, it's about freedom", expect him to completely flip the script.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Whats funny is his quote is absolutely correct and the cons know it.

What's so frustrating was that Fox & Friends clip where they played the full quote, so they knew the context, but all they did was freak out about him saying it and didn't even bother with what he was saying.

It's normal for partisan outlets to remove the context in a clip, but it's somehow more annoying when they provide the context and then ignore it.

edit

SedanChair posted:

*gets erection*

*looks around to see if anyone noticed*

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 22, 2015

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The_Rob posted:

If you ever want to offend a white person. Don't call them cracker or honky or whatever outdated term you can think of. Call them racist. You will never see a person sweat more than when you call them a racist. That's why they want so badly for Obama saying friend of the family to mean something. Now they can show us that it'not them who is racist but our black president.

Nah, call them privileged. Nothing is more offensive to white people than suggesting that maybe the great life they live isn't entirely the result of them being more moral/harder working/smarter than everyone else.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So please let it be that Steven Crowder got beat up by a transwoman

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Sir Tonk posted:

What's so frustrating was that Fox & Friends clip where they played the full quote, so they knew the context, but all they did was freak out about him saying it and didn't even bother with what he was saying.

It's normal for partisan outlets to remove the context in a clip, but it's somehow more annoying when they provide the context and then ignore it.

After listening to Marc's podcast and watching the F&F clip, the fact that F&F bleeped out the word actually made it sound somewhat more offensive than the what's in the podcast recording -- so much for context.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It's so much better with his photo

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
:eng101: He did not use the n-word, he mentioned it! For example,

A: Todd Starnes is a fuckface.
B: Todd Starnes, the word 'fuckface' has eight letters in it.
C: Don't call people fuckfaces, fuckface.

In A, I just called Todd Starnes a fuckface. In B, I did not call anyone a fuckface, nor did I say anything about whether it is okay or not to use the word! In C, I both used and mentioned the word fuckface!

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So please let it be that Steven Crowder got beat up by a transwoman

God, I hope so. Especially if he is later convicted as the one that started the whole thing.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
When arguing with people about racism, what is the correct way to fight against the "well other races are just as much if not more racist than white people!" argument, aside from pointing out that even if that was true that doesn't excuse a racist point of view in the first place.

And no, severing is not an option, as I am dating her.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Big McHuge posted:

When arguing with people about racism, what is the correct way to fight against the "well other races are just as much if not more racist than white people!" argument, aside from pointing out that even if that was true that doesn't excuse a racist point of view in the first place.

Severing is always and option. [So says a guy who is divorced...]

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Big McHuge posted:

Sever anyway.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It's so much better with his photo

This belongs on The Onion's American Voices feature. Instead, it's just the world we live in.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

All I see with their reaction to that quote is they need anything to push away news about Charleston

But what else would you expect from them

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Big McHuge posted:

Help I'm being systematically oppressed as a white man both in how much money I earn and where I can live and what pools I can go to based on my skin color, by a minority.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Other races have not and have not had the opportunity to enact decades-long housing discrimination policies that prevents the accumulation of intergenerational wealth.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It's interesting rediscovering the madness of right-wing talk radio.

Levin is going full Master Shake right now. On my short drive home from work, I heard

- Obama is a bad father because he was in a different place than his daughters on Sunday
- Obama/liberals are trying to divide this peaceful, postracial country by distracting them with the Confederate flag (ignoring entirely that today's admission it needs to go came from Haley, Graham, and other SC conservatives)
- Also, they want to ban the Confederate flag (nobody has said anything like this)
- The Confederate flag has nothing to do with the killings (loving lol)
- Guns my guns oh my god they're coming for my guns (ignoring that Obama has said nothing about guns and all the gun talk has come from RWM dipshits like Levin himself)
- Full-on "liberals are the REAL racists" (I think the exact quote was "Racism is in the DNA of Democrats. Racism is not any part of Republicans") along with honest-to-god fallacious pre-Southern Strategy examples. I heard the same thing on Hannity Saturday and I didn't think it was a thing anymore, but I guess when you're talking to a low-information audience and nobody is around to call out your bullshit there's no reason not to try.

So much projection and flat-out lying.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Hazo posted:

- Guns my guns oh my god they're coming for my guns (ignoring that Obama has said nothing about guns and all the gun talk has come from RWM dipshits like Levin himself)

They keep braying about it regardless of what anyone does so let's just cut the bullshit and begin the reign of terror against all gun owners already.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Big McHuge posted:

PoC don't have systemic racism built in to the political and economic system to keep the rest subjugated.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Big McHuge posted:

It's not perfect, but it's easy to think of it in playground terms. Saying mean things about older, popular kids might not be intrinsically better than saying mean things about little kids and outcasts, but it's sure a lot less harmful since you have a lot less chance to hurt them by it.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Big McHuge posted:

You could tell her that she's full of poo poo.

Also, whites are pretty much the only folk who colonized the poo poo out of other continents, so there's that. If anything, the racism from other races is completely justified looking at history.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Taco from Odd Future/Loiter Squad prophetically sums up todays news:

TWATT | Loiter Squad | Adult Swim: https://youtu.be/l2NpY8Q470c

quotin' dis (forever)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Crocodile tears from Fox News talking heads.

Charleston: Why didn't anyone help Dylann Roof?

Funny how mental health issues are only ever brought up when a white boy does something bad. And of course this is coming from the same people who are all too eager to defund anything related to public health services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I've found the real cause of the shooting, liberals!

http://townhall.com/columnists/rach...15506/page/full

quote:

The radicalization of Roof appeared to start when he bought into the left’s mantra of blacks and other minorities vs. whites.

quote:

Obama could have used the opportunity of becoming the first black president to heal race relations, moving us toward a colorblind society. Racism can no longer be as bad if Americans elect a black president. Instead, Obama has used his bully pulpit to exacerbate racial tensions, quick to find racism against blacks and quick to attack white police officers. He stirs up race relations deliberately to gain Democratic support. As a result, 84 percent of Americans say race relations have worsened or stayed the same since Obama has been in office.