Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of the Bloody Baron, what happens if you fail that walk sequence where he's carrying the baby thing? Does he get his throat torn out and you have to redo it, or is there a unique ending for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Add me to the list of people unable to play any other game now that I beat Witcher 3 :sigh:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Palpek posted:

I think that the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion was one of the best things Bethesda has ever done story-wise and gameplay-wise.

"fetch me an apple"

Pot Of Shoe posted:

Witcher 3 is definitely prettier than vanilla Skyrim and the combat is more fun, but for me personally I get a lot more immersed in a game where I create the character. Also, the sidequests are more lore oriented where in the Witcher they are more just helping people out and gettin rid of monsters which I loved doing, but it felt like in Skyrim I was getting to know the history and connecting to the land I was trying to protect as well as turning out the be the chosen one and in both cases I purchased the games knowing nothing about the lore. I hadn't, at the time when I played through Skyrim, played any other ES game and I didn't know anything about the Witcher 3 until about a month ago when I picked up the game.

Uhhhh like the entire point of low fantasy is to get away from that kind of plot. The first two Witcher games had either no chosen one or the chosen one was the antagonist. The game repeatedly tells you that you're not the chosen one. You're a monster detective.

Just a thought; you may find Elder Scrolls titles more immersive because they are first-person games. Witcher is 3rd person.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 23, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

OAquinas posted:

Is the Nilfgaard deck the most powerful? I seem to have a lot more success with it, but maybe that's because I only started to use it after getting most of the good cards...

I'm going to say yes as the base non-hero-cards in the deck are stronger, and doesn't it have 3 spies by default (wouldn't know, haven't unlocked them all)? Northern Realms has 3 spies too, and both can be brought to 4 with the neutral spy. The raw strength of the non-hero cards edges it out.

Hmm, then again Northern Realms gets a free card for winning a round.

Tough call. I'll rescind what I said before and say NR and NG are pretty equal. They're both better than crummy old-spyless-Scoiatel.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Nilfgaard has like 5 medics though, plus the ability that lets you take a card from the opponents graveyard. You can almost guarantee that's a spy so its basically a spy as your commander power. I think north actually has better regular cards than nilf but nilf edges them out anyway.

Nothing's as satisfying as the double catapults for 64 total points though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

Uhhhh like the entire point of low fantasy is to get away from that kind of plot. The first two Witcher games had either no chosen one or the chosen one was the antagonist. The game repeatedly tells you that you're not the chosen one. You're a monster detective.

A monster detective who nonetheless impacts the fate of entire communities, up to and including the course of a major war.

The Witcher is certainly darker than most other examples of fantasy but lets not go pretending Geralt is some grounded foil to the notion of a chosen one.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I've had a lot more success with the Northern deck compared to the Nilfgaard one. The Nilfgaard one seems (to me, for what cards I have) a lot more dependent on getting a good draw, while I've pulled out wins with the Northern deck when I didn't even draw any spies/decoys due to the big numbers I can make.

poptart_fairy posted:

A monster detective who nonetheless impacts the fate of entire communities, up to and including the course of a major war.

The Witcher is certainly darker than most other examples of fantasy but lets not go pretending Geralt is some grounded foil to the notion of a chosen one.

But Ciri is the chosen one?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm up to a quest called "final preparations" or something like that. How much more main quest is there?

I've got a few contracts left and a few more sidequests to do but at like, 80 hours I am starting to grow a bit weary of this game. I'm so overpowered that the combat has just become hilariously easy, I really do wish I played on the hardest difficulty. Such a great game, I just wish it was a bit more precise and there were a few more enemy types.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Randler posted:

Do (some) decoctions come with an automatic low-level regeneration that's not part of its description? Because I just tried my first one and it turned my health bar green which I'd normally associate with being poisoned not with regenerating.

That health bar is blood-colored. The more wizard drugs you take, the more it turns yellow/green. It's just letting you know that you're hosed up on wizard drugs.

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah but Geralt has limited control. It's a major theme of the games that while Geralt has agency, other players in the world have more agency. Geralt can change the course of events, but he's never in the driver's seat. If you took a cast picture of the Witcher 3, most of the people in the center would be more powerful than Geralt. The whole main quest is about being a good dad so that Ciri can realize her agency; the ending montages are all about other people doing things. I mean how many games have merchant guilds off-screen be a major factor in an on-screen war that the player participates in? You could talk forever about the themes of politics in Witcher 3 and how it's influenced by being a Polish game based on fiction very grounded in the experience of 20th century Poland but. . . I think the vaguely-understood-by-Geralt but believable and important Nilfgaardian internal politics is another great contrast between this story and high fantasy. Nilfgaard invades and Nilfgaard leaves and Geralt is just kind of caught in the crossfire in both Witcher 2 and 3. If this was high fantasy our protagonist would have had something to do with that but nope, Geralt was off doing something else and the world kept going without him.

This is really striking in the romance in the game for its contrast with Bioware pansexual harem romances.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 23, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In the next witcher game the main protagonist will be a rock troll.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Arglebargle III posted:

This is really striking in the romance in the game for its contrast with Bioware pansexual harem romances.

Pick the upper left dialog option to bone.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah but Geralt has limited control. It's a major theme of the games that while Geralt has agency, other players in the world have more agency. Geralt can change the course of events, but he's never in the driver's seat. If you took a cast picture of the Witcher 3, most of the people in the center would be more powerful than Geralt. The whole main quest is about being a good dad so that Ciri can realize her agency; the ending montages are all about other people doing things.

Right, while Geralt is still quite powerful in an indirect way he's not messianic like many player characters. There's a huge emphasis in the Witcher games' writing on unintended consequences. Playing Witcher 1 as neutral as possible drives this home very well; by not choosing/getting involved you've still made a choice. Since we're playing a video game we know that helping x do y caused z but your actions are typically oblique to the 'actual' chain of events.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

best comedy moment was when all the witchers got wasted and started cross-dressing.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is there any way to cheat the carry weight on ps4?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is there any way to cheat the carry weight on ps4?

if you don't want to sell or dismantle your items, leave them by a waypoint with a very fast loading time like the palace in vizima

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

etalian posted:

best comedy moment was when all the witchers got wasted and started cross-dressing.

there's a lot of really good throwaway visual laughs too, like after meeting with Keira the camera pans and there are two rabbits humping, or when you travel to meet Ge'els and as you leave he's been painting this goofy-rear end Picasso style nude woman

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Does Iorveth appear in the game? I just realized I never even went near the Nilf camp so if there's anything in southeast Velen I didn't see it.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

evilmiera posted:

Also where are you supposed to find mention of the potion you imbibed back in Witcher 2? The save must not have imported correctly or I missed out on it during the last game, because I've not seen the note people were talking about anywhere

Not sure if anyone else answered this, but it's well, well out of the way. You'll never come across it during any quest whatsoever. Instead, go to Oxenfurt, to the southern island which is the academy. It's in the courtyard, which is as far as you can go, sitting below the statue in the middle. Geralt should have a little "hmm" soundbite when you pick it up.

Arglebargle III posted:

Does Iorveth appear in the game? I just realized I never even went near the Nilf camp so if there's anything in southeast Velen I didn't see it.

No.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

poptart_fairy posted:

Speaking of the Bloody Baron, what happens if you fail that walk sequence where he's carrying the baby thing? Does he get his throat torn out and you have to redo it, or is there a unique ending for it?

the thing transforms into a monster that you have to kill. He becomes distraught saying why'd you kill it you were supposed to help him save it. You have the option of saying "sorry bro I had to" or "lol its all ur fault".

I reloaded after that.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

Rock troll as playable character. Right now. $20 DLC that makes everyone at CDPR millionaires.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
As awesome as the trolls in W3 are, I like the visual design of the ones from the second game much more.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I bet he'll be in a DLC, because there really aren't many scoia'tel in this game and they're really cool in Witcher 2

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FuriousGeorge posted:

As awesome as the trolls in W3 are, I like the visual design of the ones from the second game much more.

Different type of troll

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

Different type of troll

Yeah, I miss them too though. They looked so cool. Don't see why we couldn't have had a few of them in place of the rock trolls. Trololo doesn't even talk about rocks.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

He smash troll rocks

so

troll smash he! :mad:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

the first story quest kicks off with a troll and his buddies being promised shoes and then getting stiffed

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Willfrey posted:

the first story quest kicks off with a troll and his buddies being promised shoes and then getting stiffed

This reminds me that I totally forgot to go back to that crazy dude stuck in the giant's boat with his nails and whatever else it was.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I found the quest item nails but I couldn't find the other thing he asked for so I didn't bother. I wonder if you actually can help him out with his crazy boat thing!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poo poo, I forgot all about him as well

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm up to a quest called "final preparations" or something like that. How much more main quest is there?

If you just got the quest in Novegrad, there's like 20% of the main quest left. However there is very little side content once you're up around level 30, so that 20% goes faster than previous areas. If you blitz through it you probably have 5 hours left, more if you wander around getting the mastercrafted gear and stuff.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
I finished the game with everything important done in 105 hours. I had all the quests done except horse racing and gwent related ones, I cleared out the question marks in Velen and Kaer Morhen and all the important ones in Skellige (places of power). I took my time, walked to a ton of places and rarely used roach. I'm not sure how people are getting 120+ hour playthroughs unless 20% of your game time is devoted to Gwent.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Die more?

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Played it on Death March and died four time in the first fight. Once I got alt Quen things got easier. Witcher games are at their best in the first few brutally difficult hours.

I guess my hybrid hard drive saved me at least a few hours on loading times alone compared to consoles.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Arglebargle III posted:

I've recognised his voice actor voicing a lot of minor characters around the place, one I can remember off the top of my head is the priest near the start in Velen who asks you to burn some corpses. I think I also heard Saskia's VA doing Whistling Wendy in Novigrad.
So, maybe, just maybe, they'll show up but I'm personally not holding out much hope for it. Just an acknowledgement would be good imo, even if it's just to say they're dead or fled and are hiding out somewhere.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Let us English posted:

I finished the game with everything important done in 105 hours. I had all the quests done except horse racing and gwent related ones, I cleared out the question marks in Velen and Kaer Morhen and all the important ones in Skellige (places of power). I took my time, walked to a ton of places and rarely used roach. I'm not sure how people are getting 120+ hour playthroughs unless 20% of your game time is devoted to Gwent.

I know I hosed around a ton with crafting in the early game. I'm at 110 hours and I'm clearing out my quest log before doing Ugly Baby. Did you do any of the witcher contracts?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Nilfgaard has like 5 medics though, plus the ability that lets you take a card from the opponents graveyard. You can almost guarantee that's a spy so its basically a spy as your commander power.

You can choose which card you want, so you can completely guarantee it's a spy.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

I know I hosed around a ton with crafting in the early game. I'm at 110 hours and I'm clearing out my quest log before doing Ugly Baby. Did you do any of the witcher contracts?

All of them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In a game that emphasises consequences of your actions with even minor quests getting little follow-ups it is really strange that Iorveth isn't even mentioned once. Neither is Saskia. It's like the choice of that path in Witcher 2 has been completely ignored considering that you do get to see Roche, Letho, Eilhart and even Sile. Or as somebody said it'll get a mention in one of the expansions or something as Elven terrorists and a shapeshifting dragon are interesting enough to be used somewhere.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 23, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They probably don't get a mention because it makes zero sense for them to be around where this game takes place no matter how you choose to do things in The Witcher 2. It's kinda lame though, yeah.

I hope The Witcher 4 makes some executive decisions on what actually happened in these past three games because of stuff like this. I think the story would be more cohesive if they knew exactly what happened before. That's probably why they just don't mention the last games much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

They probably don't get a mention because it makes zero sense for them to be around where this game takes place no matter how you choose to do things in The Witcher 2. It's kinda lame though, yeah.
I understand that but I don't even expect to meet them just maybe hear about them or talk to somebody who knows anything. Hell, I would accept a casualty report from the region that lists both as dead, whatever. Considering Geralt's investment into the plot of Iorveth+Saskia's act 2 you'd expect he would want to know what happened to them after Nilfgaard steamrolled over the country. It's just strange that it's as if that choice isn't canon in a game that makes it a point to let you import a save state from the previous title.

Which again makes me think they want to use it in an expansion and didn't simply ignore it.