Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Finally got this in the mail after pre-ordering it in December. Ubisoft better hurry up with that Devo DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Finally got this in the mail after pre-ordering it in December. Ubisoft better hurry up with that Devo DLC

You can mail order confused looking bald men to model your guitars?

Cool find, is it an Eastwood?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Primus next week.

http://www.theriffrepeater.com/speculation-primus-opens-up-a-can-of-pork-soda-in-rocksmith-2014-next-week/

Should be a good one for bass players, though a lot of their songs would require a 5 or 6 string bass.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

DeathSandwich posted:

Primus next week.

http://www.theriffrepeater.com/speculation-primus-opens-up-a-can-of-pork-soda-in-rocksmith-2014-next-week/

Should be a good one for bass players, though a lot of their songs would require a 5 or 6 string bass.

So are they gonna tab things for 6 string bass so I can finally use mine for official DLC?

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

It's so skinny, is it comfortable to play?

Anyone else an idiot like me and get more dlc at a lesser discount because of poor impulse control? Bought some more RS1 stuff yesterday that I didn't think I wanted that much last week.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Quinctia posted:

Anyone else an idiot like me and get more dlc at a lesser discount because of poor impulse control?

I've twice decided to wait until the summer/xmas sales only to lose my poo poo a month out and buy up everything. :smith:

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

EvilChameleon posted:

So are they gonna tab things for 6 string bass so I can finally use mine for official DLC?

No, you can play Primus on 4 string

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I guess this pack is the end boss for bass players then? :getin:

Last time I saw Primus live (2014, it sucked), Les played the majority of their songs on a 4-string.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Jerry Was A Race Car Driver is confirmed

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Do any songs currently in the game support bass tapping?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Kaboobi posted:

Do any songs currently in the game support bass tapping?

Slightly in Giri Giri Chop

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Primus Song Pack – $7.99

* Primus “Jerry Was A Race Car Driver”
* Primus “Theme From South Park”
* Primus “Tommy The Cat”
* Primus “Wynona’s Big Brown Beaver”

That’s right it’s four pack for the price of three!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

RIP my fingers, I'm gonna play this until they fall off

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

While I'm waiting for a version of Sleep's Dopesmoker to come out I found a Customsforge track by Reverend Bizarre that is 30 minutes of doom.

Highly recommended for a long, slow, heavy and easy jam. :chillpill:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Drogadon posted:

RIP my fingers, I'm gonna play this until they fall off

The South Park theme is a nice bonus but yeah Winona's Big Brown Beaver is gonna kill me.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Makes sense with the South Park theme given the devs are making the new South Park game.

Really surprised that there's no John the Fisherman.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I was hoping a pack containing at least one of John The Fisherman, My Name is Mud, or Those Damned Blue Collar Tweekers. But hey, Primus :circlefap:

TO THE REQUEST PAGE! *'60s Batman TV series intro music*

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

Snowy posted:

While I'm waiting for a version of Sleep's Dopesmoker to come out I found a Customsforge track by Reverend Bizarre that is 30 minutes of doom.

Highly recommended for a long, slow, heavy and easy jam. :chillpill:

I was going to ask how it is possible I missed this since I love Reverend Bizarre, but they're in goddam C#. Can't you guys just tune down two more semitones to a B? :(

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finally took my electric to a shop to get it fixed up. The strings are too high, the intonation is messed up, the bridge doesn't float, and they're also going to clean it up a bit and resurface the frets. Also somehow the output jack on it points the wrong way, a thing that I'd never realised because I am dumb. I have no clue how that happened since I bought it second hand. So I should have it back early next week and I also just grabbed a bunch of DLC in the Steam sale. Hopefully having a proper working guitar and a bunch of new songs will act as some motivation to get some good playtime in.

Meanwhile, my friend brought her bass over and we took turns being bad at Rocksmith which was pretty fun. Except now I want to buy a bass. Save me goons!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Tunga posted:

I finally took my electric to a shop to get it fixed up. The strings are too high, the intonation is messed up, the bridge doesn't float, and they're also going to clean it up a bit and resurface the frets. Also somehow the output jack on it points the wrong way, a thing that I'd never realised because I am dumb. I have no clue how that happened since I bought it second hand. So I should have it back early next week and I also just grabbed a bunch of DLC in the Steam sale. Hopefully having a proper working guitar and a bunch of new songs will act as some motivation to get some good playtime in.

Meanwhile, my friend brought her bass over and we took turns being bad at Rocksmith which was pretty fun. Except now I want to buy a bass. Save me goons!

buy a bass

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Buy my bass.

zenless
Feb 13, 2005

toymach1ne posted:

Primus Song Pack – $7.99

* Primus “Jerry Was A Race Car Driver”
* Primus “Theme From South Park”
* Primus “Tommy The Cat”
* Primus “Wynona’s Big Brown Beaver”

That’s right it’s four pack for the price of three!

There are so many options (why stop at 4?), but bummed at lack of Shake Hands with Beef.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tunga posted:

Does the PC not have multiplayer? Me and my girlfriend play badly at the same time, one of us on Rhythm and the other on lead. This is the PS4 version mind you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DeathSandwich posted:

Does the PC not have multiplayer? Me and my girlfriend play badly at the same time, one of us on Rhythm and the other on lead. This is the PS4 version mind you.

He probably just doesn't have two cables.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

It does, and we do have cables, but we only had the bass available since my guitar is currently being fixed up.

Oh, also, her 2014 cable wasn't detected on my main PC but my 2012 cable works fine. Both cables also work fine on my HTPC and she uses hers at home so it's not the cable. It didn't show in device manager or anywhere and I tried various ports. Has anyone seen that before?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 23, 2015

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Tunga posted:

... now I want to buy a bass. Save me goons!

Amazon has perfectly functional basses in the $200 range. Get a four string for rocksmith. You won't regret it.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Tunga posted:

It does, and we do have cables, but we only had the bass available since my guitar is currently being fixed up.

Oh, also, her 2014 cable wasn't detected on my main PC but my 2012 cable works fine. Both cables also work fine on my HTPC and she uses hers at home so it's not the cable. It didn't show in device manager or anywhere and I tried various ports. Has anyone seen that before?

I had tons of trouble with this on my new motherboard. However, it was detecting, but couldn't install the drivers properly. Had to disable USB 3.0 in the bios. Didn't even work in the USB 2.0 sockets until I did this. It still has trouble detecting it sometimes and I have to unplug and replug.

Seems like the cable does not work well with USB 3.0. Also, supposedly Windows 8 had more issues than Windows 7, but I have 7 and still had plenty of trouble.

Cable didn't work at all on Vista 64 Ultimate, at least at launch. I am guessing that the drivers probably have to be optimized for each motherboard and OS, and that is probably not a priority.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

patentmagus posted:

Amazon has perfectly functional basses in the $200 range. Get a four string for rocksmith. You won't regret it.
It's not the cost (and I work two minutes from Denmark Street in London so got a million options), it's the lack of space in my house! Maybe though. Bass was way more fun that I expected it to be.

Gripen5 posted:

Seems like the cable does not work well with USB 3.0. Also, supposedly Windows 8 had more issues than Windows 7, but I have 7 and still had plenty of trouble.
The weird part is that the 2012 cable works just fine on the same PC.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfsKwM_sNIQ Primus trailer

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gripen5 posted:

I had tons of trouble with this on my new motherboard. However, it was detecting, but couldn't install the drivers properly. Had to disable USB 3.0 in the bios. Didn't even work in the USB 2.0 sockets until I did this. It still has trouble detecting it sometimes and I have to unplug and replug.

Cable didn't work at all on Vista 64 Ultimate, at least at launch. I am guessing that the drivers probably have to be optimized for each motherboard and OS, and that is probably not a priority.

Most of my USB 2.0 devices don't work in my USB 3.0 slots. That's just how it is dude. They're supposed to be backwards compatible and they physically are but most BIOS seems to not like it in my experience.

As for cable not working in 2.0 slots, dunno about that. Good luck.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Tunga posted:

It's not the cost (and I work two minutes from Denmark Street in London so got a million options), it's the lack of space in my house! Maybe though. Bass was way more fun that I expected it to be.

I think you picked the wrong time to consider buying a bass...

I mean how can you refuse now? :getin:

On that note I really need to get a bass.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That first song appears to require me to have ten fingers on one hand :ohdear: .

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tunga posted:

You need saving from not having a bass. Get a bass!

Or one of these if you need to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV1C0S70c3s

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Tunga posted:

That first song appears to require me to have ten fingers on one hand :ohdear: .

That's actually two-handed playing, you tap the rhythm with both hands like it shows in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqlA5l6RV6Y

Still loving nuts though. I may have to sit out the Primus pack as much as I want it, I don't think I could keep with the bass or the lead.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

King Vidiot posted:

That's actually two-handed playing, you tap the rhythm with both hands like it shows in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqlA5l6RV6Y

Still loving nuts though. I may have to sit out the Primus pack as much as I want it, I don't think I could keep with the bass or the lead.

It looks like rocksmith is having trouble recognizing even Ellison bass tapping on that, about half of the two hand tap part just fails to recognize in that video.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

I'm gonna buy it, but I aint gonna play it :stare:

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

It looks like rocksmith is having trouble recognizing even Ellison bass tapping on that, about half of the two hand tap part just fails to recognize in that video.

Doesn't entirely surprise me but I'll wait until an actual bassist tries it

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

DeathSandwich posted:

I don't do much (read: any) tapping, so maybe someone with some experience could tell me if what he is doing is actually difficult? I wouldn't mind picking up this pack and learning it but my tapping ability is not really there and I don't know if this would be a good start. Rocksmith is setting the bar pretty high with Les Claypool, but at least they didn't try to do a Victor Wooten pack.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

EvilChameleon posted:

I don't do much (read: any) tapping, so maybe someone with some experience could tell me if what he is doing is actually difficult? I wouldn't mind picking up this pack and learning it but my tapping ability is not really there and I don't know if this would be a good start. Rocksmith is setting the bar pretty high with Les Claypool, but at least they didn't try to do a Victor Wooten pack.

Honestly I think tapping is super easy. The stuff he's doing in that video doesn't look particularly crazy either, the only time tapping is really hard is if you have to stretch your hand to make a really wide tap or if you have to move your hand really fast back and forth between different taps. As long as the pedal tone is consistent its pretty easy.

Lol at the idea of a Victor Wooten pack. Good loving luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think it depends on your guitar, the action and string tension affect how much effort is involved and your timing, and the general setup makes the difference between a clear bell-like tone ringing out, or 'blork'

Honestly by the looks of things you might be ok though, it's very riffy so you're basically learning an awkward part, which you can slow down until you can nail it, and then it's mostly a case of getting your speed up. It's like learning a trick, you can end up getting good at doing a certain thing if you do it enough. I can do a bunch of fast stuff on guitar, but only those specific little riffs - it definitely doesn't translate into all-round good technique that means I can play everything at that level