Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

Its a dunce cap and you fell into the trap.

I think Minfilia has the stupidest outfit in the game.

The butt window is the source of her power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Whizbang posted:

The butt window is the source of her power.

the butt echo

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I don't care what all y'all say.
I miss the scions. I hope they're OK.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Grondoth posted:

I don't care what all y'all say.
I miss the scions. I hope they're OK.

Hydaelyn speaks to me! She says I'm useless and should sacrifice myself so you can go ahead!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Welp, it looks like the early access period is going to end without my getting my early access code from Amazon.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

As a DPS it just feels really nice to suddenly get an astrologian card thrown on you. It makes you thankful in a way healing doesn't if that makes any sense

Unless that card is the one that reduces TP costs, in which case it ruins my even-numbered TP amount and turns it into some grotesque odd number until i can Invigorate my way back up to 1000 TP

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
Is broil the new ability that sounds like a loving party horn?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Rand Brittain posted:

Welp, it looks like the early access period is going to end without my getting my early access code from Amazon.

Well, here you go.

PAPOVE-992-NOJOPA-023

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

kharaa posted:

Is broil the new ability that sounds like a loving party horn?

It sure is. Gonna annoy the poo poo out of people with it until they nerf the sound, like they did with <se.6>.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Game hasn't launched and gearing for Alexander is complete. Now I can focus on what really matters. Fishing.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Someone spoil something are there beast tribe rep grinds somewhere in HW?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Fat_Cow posted:

Someone spoil something are there beast tribe rep grinds somewhere in HW?

Not yet

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The last boss fight owned, the post credits cutscene owned, Fel Cleave owns, this game owns.

Question about the end of the credits did the Warrior of Darkness wear AF gear that matched your class too? Or is he in Warrior gear for everyone?

Chyea posted:

Game hasn't launched and gearing for Alexander is complete. Now I can focus on what really matters. Fishing.

Dungeon spam still the fastest way to farm up?

fadam fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 23, 2015

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

more cat waifus please

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

There's a Roegadyn named Mountain Dew at Idyllshire, nobody can convince me otherwise.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

fadam posted:

Question about the end of the credits

I did the fight as MNK and he was still in WAR garb, I think he's supposed to mimic the generic Hyur you see in all of the CG cutscenes?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Whelp, here comes a long post about the story, having just finished it.

Overall, I want to say this story was very well executed, it kept my attention the entire way, and I always wanted to know more. However I feel there was one major misstep. This was a story about sorrow and overcoming adversity in many ways, with sorrow compounded upon sorrow. The themes of building up the team and comradery between Alphianud, Ysayle, and Estinien was great and they formed an awesome team. A lot of really strong character moments and Alphinaud really steps in as the main npc protagonist. I liked that even at the end, I still felt there were secrets the dragons were keeping, even if largely they are 'in the right' so to speak. So many little story beats are great, and the heroic sacrifices of Hauteforchant and Ysayle are absolutely heartwrenching, as is losing Estinien in the end. This goes into my main problem, namely the fact that Nanamo is alive. It robs 2.55 of any dramatic potency, and it just feels like a cheap cop out. This whole plot did...what exactly? Kill off Teledji? The only sacrifice is Raubahn losing an arm at this point as we know the Scions are going to come back. Then to top off it off the with drama of losing characters we actually liked and spent so much time with, so it's essentially this cheap dumb character gets to live with the interesting ones are killed off. All I can feel is a smoldering anger at the lore team. As well even after seeing them die, there's now the issue of oh will who will they deus ex back to life again when it's convenient? Nanamo ruins what was otherwise an amazing story.

As for blm in HW? After playing around Fire IV does at least feel suitably powerful. Having a 10 second greased lightning that takes a 2.5s cast to keep up? Not so much. The last two dungeons were insanely chaotic and trying to control the Fire and Enochian buffs was stressful. It might be something I can get used to but I can say as of right now it is not a very fun mechanic with how super tight the rotation is. Any movement is deadly. As I said the main thing is 'feel' and 'fun' and this is entirely subjective. The damage from what I've seen is very much there.

As for the post credits scene it was a he and he was in war af despite me being a blm.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Minrad posted:

Well, here you go.

PAPOVE-992-NOJOPA-023

That is most kind but I fear it did not work.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

That is most kind but I fear it did not work.

Did you punch it in on the early access site to convert it to a code you can use on mogstation? The whole system is so arcane, I almost can't blame Amazon for getting confused.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

I think Minfilia has the stupidest outfit in the game.

Absolutely.

If they add it I'd wear it, even if I had to buy it in the mogstation.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I did the fight as MNK and he was still in WAR garb, I think he's supposed to mimic the generic Hyur you see in all of the CG cutscenes?

Ah that's too bad.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I'm thinking about trying this out again and have a question. If I delete my character on Excalibur, will I be able to make a new one without dealing with the 'no new chars can be created on the server' thing?

VVV because it's like level 11 and I don't remember anything so would like to start from the beginning again. Also I made the short race and not really digging it. oh well.

Danith fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 23, 2015

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Danith posted:

I'm thinking about trying this out again and have a question. If I delete my character on Excalibur, will I be able to make a new one without dealing with the 'no new chars can be created on the server' thing?

Why would you delete your character?

And no, you'd just be loving yourself.

Space Mako
Feb 2, 2013

Eimi posted:

This whole plot did...what exactly? Kill off Teledji? The only sacrifice is Raubahn losing an arm at this point as we know the Scions are going to come back.

It was a power play that made Lolorito the most powerful man in Ul'dah. Killing Nanamo would only benefit Teledji, as he was an heir to the Sultanate. Teledji co-owned the Brass Blades with Lolorito, so Lolorito now has full jurisdiction over Ul'dah's police force. Killing Nanamo would have destabilized his entire scheme and he's smart enough to know that he's more powerful WITH the Sultana alive.
I'm not sure, but I think the Omega weapon is something he'd want as well, given his Garlean contacts.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Space Mako posted:

It was a power play that made Lolorito the most powerful man in Ul'dah. Killing Nanamo would only benefit Teledji, as he was an heir to the Sultanate. Teledji co-owned the Brass Blades with Lolorito, so Lolorito now has full jurisdiction over Ul'dah's police force. Killing Nanamo would have destabilized his entire scheme and he's smart enough to know that he's more powerful WITH the Sultana alive.
I'm not sure, but I think the Omega weapon is something he'd want as well, given his Garlean contacts.

I understood it story wise. What I hate is why go through all that drama for the player. Her 'death' plays similar to Hauteforchaunts int hat both spit up blood, in fact I'd say hers looked far more painful. Why do that when it's just a loving sleeping potion?!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

chairman please do the needful

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

Danith posted:

VVV because it's like level 11 and I don't remember anything so would like to start from the beginning again. Also I made the short race and not really digging it. oh well.

Start a new job and drink a fantasia or w/e the appearance reroll drinks are called.

e: the appearance reroll pot is your first vet reward, so if you paid for one month of sub at least, you have one.

Moo Moo Canoe fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 23, 2015

Space Mako
Feb 2, 2013

Eimi posted:

I understood it story wise. What I hate is why go through all that drama for the player. Her 'death' plays similar to Hauteforchaunts int hat both spit up blood, in fact I'd say hers looked far more painful. Why do that when it's just a loving sleeping potion?!

They just wanted to end ARR in a bang without having anything too permanent, I suppose. The writers have a huge soft spot for Ul'dah's storyline, so I guess they were reluctant to actually kill her.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So which one of you jokers is this:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/240914-Square-Enix-blew-it-for-some-of-us-but-I-m-still-here...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Since we were on UI chat last page, what do all you goons' HUDs look like?

I just finished finalizing mine up:

I think it looks nice.

e: if the sperg hits me, I might go and painstakingly truly align the minimap down the center since aligning it by grid puts it off-center for some reason.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 23, 2015

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
To break up the entire page of nothing but spoiler text:

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

WHM with cards. It plays almost identically to WHM, except the heal numbers are smaller (almost too small, you need to heal a lot to keep up) and you get some crazy-go-nuts bonkers buffs to cast on people. Everything I've heard says it's pretty good in diurnal (WHM) stance and hot garbage in nocturnal (SCH) stance. DPS potential is lowest of all healers, but can buff party DPS waaaaay more, so it evens out.

Nocturnal Sect isn't really hot garbage in and of itself, but it's more of a case that there's absolutely no reason to ever not be in a Sect: There's a very clearly defined general purpose Sect, which is Diurnal Sect. There are no downsides to being in Diurnal Sect. You get 5% attack speed (i.e. better DPS as well as better heals) and some of your skills give regens. Then later you get Nocturnal Sect, which has the peculiar downside of sacrificing Diurnal Sect to use. Instead of attack speed, it gives 5% healing power, and some skills give shields. Both of these are notably more niche than what Diurnal offers. This isn't something that's going to change, either, because they probably don't want you going into battle outside of a Sect, and just waiting until you need one or the other and activating it.

That said, Nocturnal Sect does fill a few gaps that Diurnal Sect misses, and I think it performs its job admirably well. Where the AST's heal numbers may be small, Nocturnal Sect offers a lot of frontloaded eHP healing. Benefic casts exactly like Cure. Aspected Benefic is an instant cast skill with a small heal and applies the boon of your chosen Sect. The result is that if you weave [Nocturnal] Aspected Benefic immediately after Benefic, you land two heals within a .5s window of each other. Furthermore, part of that HP heal is a shield, which means it can be applied even if the target is at full health without losing its benefits. This isn't nearly as effective in Diurnal Sect because all you're doing is refreshing a buff the target already had, and diminishes its effect on a target at full HP, because that's lost healing they could have received but didn't.

Either way, Diurnal Sect requires a lot less upkeep and is just as viable if not more, so hey whatever.

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 23, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

By the way while digging through the game files, I noticed that there's a "ffxiv.exe" file and a "ffxiv_dx11.exe". Is the dx11 version automatically loaded up if you have your graphics set up high enough or is there something different you have to do to use it?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

pandaK posted:

By the way while digging through the game files, I noticed that there's a "ffxiv.exe" file and a "ffxiv_dx11.exe". Is the dx11 version automatically loaded up if you have your graphics set up high enough or is there something different you have to do to use it?

Option under config in the launcher

If you have it on the play button will have DX11 in it

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Space Mako posted:

They just wanted to end ARR in a bang without having anything too permanent, I suppose. The writers have a huge soft spot for Ul'dah's storyline, so I guess they were reluctant to actually kill her.

Burn Ul'dah to the ground.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Does the 100% armory bonus apply to sub 50 things if you don't have a 60 yet?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yes, it applies to any job lower than your highest level job that is also lower than 50.
Any job lower than your highest level job that is 50-59 gets 50%.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Eimi posted:

Burn Ul'dah to the ground.

It's going to be the staging ground for the inevitable push into Ala Mhigo, what with Little Ala Mhigo and all the refugees and the Immortal Flames having an entire front on the border. Basically it's hard to imagine a time when Ul'dah won't be home to a large portion of the important plot poo poo.

And of course you will never, ever stop going to the Waking Sands. Ever.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kuvo posted:

chairman please do the needful

on one hand I regret being the catalyst for this on the other hand it was hilarious

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Minrad posted:

There's a Roegadyn named Mountain Dew at Idyllshire, nobody can convince me otherwise.

Mountain Dew is a perfectly lore-friendly Hellsguard name.

• Locked thread