Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just got to World 2 with my Doublezerk/Black Mage/Red Mage team. I'm not playing too fast, just havin' fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm in the final leg of world 1. Is it at all worth it to grind for the angel, coral, or flame rings? I mean, I haven't exactly been having trouble rocking everything with ninjas and barehanded.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Does the job ordering in Chaos factor in the split of fire crystal jobs?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Actually, I have a question: is it best to give !Black of MP+30% to a Zerker with the Rune Axe?

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Unless the fight is gonna take an hour, take !Black to max out the magic power and thus damage.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Man, Gilgabot is sure taking his sweet time with my Fire crystal. Even the site hasn't revealed it yet.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Classtoise posted:

Man, Gilgabot is sure taking his sweet time with my Fire crystal. Even the site hasn't revealed it yet.

It's kinda overrun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Amgard posted:

Unless the fight is gonna take an hour, take !Black to max out the magic power and thus damage.

And I only need !Black lvl1, right?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MonsieurChoc posted:

And I only need !Black lvl1, right?

No.

Black Magic abilities give characters the Black Mage's base Magic based on the following formula:

Magic = Black Mage Base Magic - 3 * (6 - Black Mage Job Level)
However, the value of the base Magic granted in this way is capped at the Black Mage's base.

Thus the base Magic stat for a character with Black Magic equipped would be as follows:

Level 1 = 40 base Magic
Level 2 = 43 base Magic
Level 3 = 46 base Magic
Level 4 = 49 base Magic
Level 5 = 52 base Magic
Level 6 = 55 base Magic
Level 7 = 55 base Magic

Fricassee
Nov 29, 2004
Working with my team of geomancer / berserker / ranger / berserker - what abilities would be good to share across my team?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Supremezero posted:

No.

Black Magic abilities give characters the Black Mage's base Magic based on the following formula:

Magic = Black Mage Base Magic - 3 * (6 - Black Mage Job Level)
However, the value of the base Magic granted in this way is capped at the Black Mage's base.

Thus the base Magic stat for a character with Black Magic equipped would be as follows:

Level 1 = 40 base Magic
Level 2 = 43 base Magic
Level 3 = 46 base Magic
Level 4 = 49 base Magic
Level 5 = 52 base Magic
Level 6 = 55 base Magic
Level 7 = 55 base Magic

drat, gonna have to lots of grinding.

Thanks.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Fricassee posted:

Working with my team of geomancer / berserker / ranger / berserker - what abilities would be good to share across my team?

Equip Bows, I suppose for your Berserkers, I suppose; best Agi boost in the game, and they can't really use anything else. Similarly, either equip bows for the strength boost and agi boosts and better weapon selection, or just Rapid Fire for your Geomancer. Bells are kinda generally terrible, so I'm not sure which is better. Ranger's definitely fine with Rapid Fire.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 23, 2015

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

And with that, the Four Fartz Fiesta is brought to a close.

Neo Exdeath was the only remotely difficult thing since Sandworm. Soul Cannon was killed in one try, every other boss from there literally until I got to Neo was just attacked through. I gained a total of five levels between my Sandworm and my Neo Exdeath kills.

I say remotely difficult because I still won on the first try. Granted, he put up a fight, with Grand Cross hitting Aging on both my Samurai and Dragoon, but the Berserkers carried the fight, as I knew they would. I considered doing the whole affair without !GilToss/!Zeninage, but I'd already done that before so whatever.

Hilariously, this might as well have been a Natural Run. I got Evade/Shirahadori on one of my Berserkers but never bothered with the others. It even worked out to not equip different weapons on to them, as the Earth/Gaia Hammer and Thor's Hammer are both back row compatible, so yay half damage vaccum waves.

I also went in woefully underprepared with a massive six Elixirs and two dozen Phoenix Downs and Hi Potions for the Neo fight. I could have used more, but I still got out okay.

In conclusion:

Fartz out.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gently caress Liquid Flame. At what level can 4 berserkers reliably kill this thing?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Where's the best place to grind levels before the sandworm? I have all berserkers......

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I'm laughing uncontrollably at this :lol::lol::lol:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Nihilarian posted:

gently caress Liquid Flame. At what level can 4 berserkers reliably kill this thing?

I managed it at 18, but I lucked way the gently caress out and LF spent almost the entire fight shifting between hand and tornado forms, which meant I took only one Blaze the whole battle (he only shifted back to human once he was one hit away from death). Above 20 should manage it, 25 would probably be overkill. It's all about waiting for the RNG to fall in your favor.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Where's the best place to grind levels before the sandworm? I have all berserkers......

Join the club! (Actually, we really should form a club for this, we've got at least half a dozen goons who got All Zerkers up to Earth Crystal.

Anyway, I'm grinding on Mini Dragons, which I only recommend if you're willing to drop 200k on four Flame Rings. Otherwise... Crescent Island?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
#Chaos, Beastmaster / Geomancer / Ranger / Samurai, final levels 39~40 largely because I couldn't be bothered running away for a lot of the later random encounters.

Beastmaster got me through pretty much every single roadblock in the entire game. Ifrit, Byblos, Soul Cannon, ArcheoAvis, Omega, Shinryu. Everything else got solved by Rapidfire or throwing zenny at it. Much more respect for this class after having made a full run with it.

Geomancer was okay but never really came in useful anywhere except for niche !Gaia locations and being able to spam AOE without worrying about mana. It doesn't help the Gaia Bell is complete trash even if it can proc Earthquake. By the time I began getting tablets I just had my Geomancer on item duty for bosses. Wind Slash for NXD was nice, with a decent magic stat you're looking at 1000ish damage to every target.

Ranger / Samurai combined was the majority of my damage but took so long to come online thanks to exorbitant AP costs. !Zeninage solved Purobolos, Crystal Guardian, Wendigos, Triplets, and NXD for me. Good ROI.

Omega = Hermes Sandals, 3x!Calm, and !Rapidfire / !Aim. May take a few attempts before you get everyone in sync. It's possible to do with 2x!Calm and is probably easier to pull off as you have fewer opportunities to desync. You can see in my image that Faris got petrified and I didn't bother to revive her, since doing so would have given Omega a window of opportunity to unleash hell upon me.
Shinryu = Catch Oiseaurare (Darkness and Silence) in the Solitary Shrine, Catch Mammon (Berserk) in a rare encounter on the top of Exdeath's Castle, equip Reflect Ring on a non-capturer, revive them after Tidal Wave, bounce Mammon off them, then release Oiseaurare. Proceed to pummel Shinryu, stopping to pick up whoever gets smashed by a blind swipe.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Bufuman posted:

Join the club! (Actually, we really should form a club for this, we've got at least half a dozen goons who got All Zerkers up to Earth Crystal.

Anyway, I'm grinding on Mini Dragons, which I only recommend if you're willing to drop 200k on four Flame Rings. Otherwise... Crescent Island?

Yeah this is basically me, I have Berserkers and... Geomancer. And in case anyone is wondering, an axe-wielding geomancer is not much better than the regular kind against the sandworm. At least I can target though, so can't really complain. Maybe I'll grind up some flame ring money, I dunno.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Fricassee posted:

Equip bows on the berserkers is pretty much the only power that makes them viable. This also lets you spread out a few decent bows. Geomancer could take anything, really, but rapidfire is a good long-term goal to shoot for. Ranger pretty much wants Gaia, Animals, and maybe equip Axe because nothing else is even viable.

It's not a great skill selection, sadly

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Peace out Exdeath! 3zerkers and a dancer onto world 3!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've actuslly been liking this all berserker run so far (up until this huge pre-sand worm grind time). The game just plays itself, no skill needed just sit back and relax.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Amgard posted:

Equip bows on the berserkers is pretty much the only power that makes them viable. This also lets you spread out a few decent bows. Geomancer could take anything, really, but rapidfire is a good long-term goal to shoot for. Ranger pretty much wants Gaia, Animals, and maybe equip Axe because nothing else is even viable.

It's not a great skill selection, sadly

Equip Bows can make your Berserker's legendary weapon be the Hayate Bow from Exdeath's Castle, at least. :v:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I need a strategy for Soul Cannon with a team of four Monks. My other two classes are both Earth jobs and I don't have access to them

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

setafd posted:

I need a strategy for Soul Cannon with a team of four Monks. My other two classes are both Earth jobs and I don't have access to them

Punch out the Launchers. Don't use HP+%. When it's just the Cannon left, don't try and keep a bunch of people healed. Instead, just keep one or two healed up for the next one and just keep punching. If you don't have enough healing, go kick some Mold Wynds or whatever until you have enough Elixirs.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
WELP

Knight, R.Mage, Bard, Chemist
Someone teach me how to science because this team is fragile

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Poulpe posted:

WELP

You have a Knight. Your team is anything but fragile.

Honestly, the only downside to this team is how redundant Chemist renders Bard.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 23, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Poulpe posted:

WELP

Here you go.

That's a really good team and you'll be able to do Omega and Shinryu with careful consideration about your strategy. Your Knight can literally tank for your teammates. Bard and Knight will be much better for you than you'll expect. Chemist will be mostly useful for taking on bosses.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So I forgot to go over my remaining 3 jobs.

Water was Red Mage, which solved my "offenses" problem that I had been worrying about and meant that later on my White Mage would be able to doublecast Holy.

Fire was Beastmaster, which it turns out is really loving good in between Calm, Catch/Release, and whips being much MUCH better than I anticipated.

Earth was, unfortunately, not Samurai like I would have been hoping for to complete my POWER QUAD OF ULTIMATE MURDER

It was, instead, Chemist.

Do I win

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Poulpe posted:

WELP

Science is known in your parts as Swordology. Educated Swordologists wield Swords and Knightswords and apply metal to faces. In rare instances, Swordologists may instead wield Shields in order to bolster their defensive prowess in instances where more offense is not required.

Also you have a Chemist. !Mix is amazing. If you're lazy and don't like grinding/looking up tables, !Drink is amazing. Haste and double HP on a freaking Knight. Go nuts.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

the Orb of Zot posted:

Chemist.

Do I win

You bet your rear end you do. :science:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Fire job is Ninja, and I took a look at my earth job- dragoon.

So Black Mage, Red Mage, Ninja, Dragoon.

How decent am I.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

berenzen posted:

How decent am I.

Pretty solid. Good casting potential, great physical potential. Pretty vanilla in terms of what you can do but it'll be good enough to coast you through. Just be sure to grab a bunch of Flame Rings to heal yourself.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

berenzen posted:

How decent am I.

Dual-wielding rods to get ALL of the Mag for BM, check (Honestly, BM would be better off with Dualcast, but whatever, SWAG THEM RODS)
Fixing Dragoon slightly by dual-wielding spears (thus allowing you to deal 8x damage to Shinryu), check.
Healing, check.
Actually having a USE for Lancet (MP recovery for your mages), check.

You're pretty good.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 23, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

This might be a while.

... Oh?

Ahh, perfect.

:getin:

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
4x White Mage to Crescent is proving almost as crushingly tedious as Thief/Berserker til Ronka. At least in this case I don't have to steal Hi-Potions, but god drat everything takes FOREVER

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Fnished before my nap, but forgot to get a pic for my tweet, so I had to down neoXD again. Hardest parts with Geo / Ranger / Samurai / Chemist were definitely the first world (Getting the last crystal was a bitch), and figuring out what kind of mixology fuckery I needed to do to beat Twintania, as that was completely new to me. Coin Toss and Chemist make things way too easy in the end, but it's really either abuse stupid poo poo or grind forever.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
And final team lineup is...

... Okay then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

Okay, after beating Living Flame i'm now at Knight / Mystic Knight / Bard. How's my team looking?

• Locked thread