Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

i hate gender

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lmao

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

those interns are also making a filthy amount of money

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

and knew exactly what it was going into it

and also everyone in financial services should die anyway so

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yee

PipeRifle posted:

it's me, I'm a chief bank business man. The secret to good bank business is to buy low and sell high. Also capitalize on your investings and estate tax portfolio. Portfolio stocks interest dividends. ATM, ledger and then also you have a green lamp with a pull chain
i have a business degree and this is accurate

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

and knew exactly what it was going into it

and also everyone in financial services should die anyway so
:agreed: holy poo poo

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i thought that 17-hour workday thing was an onion article

jfc

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
a guy i know was on tv recently and he got to show everyone his majestic eyebrows

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i would love to live to work so i can watch a number in my bank account go up
look at my success
i'm doing it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The secret to being highly profitable is to trick a bunch of suckers into working themselves literally to death for you while paying them essentially nothing.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i thought that 17-hour workday thing was an onion article

jfc

friend of mine is going down this path. it seems like legit interesting work with obv crazy rewards but lol gently caress working even half that hard ever

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Necc0 posted:

lol gently caress working

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

a guy i know was on tv recently and he got to show everyone his majestic eyebrows

Have him tell Lady Penelope I said hi.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

it is by will alone I set my mind in motion

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTnGI6Knw5Q

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

I'm kinda with doubters here. doesn't like a recording in a natural space

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it really annoys those people if you pretend you don't know anything about 'v for vendetta' and instead ask them why they're wearing the effigy of a religious terrorist

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Salt Fish posted:

The secret to capitalism is to trick a bunch of suckers into working themselves literally to death for you while paying them essentially nothing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
bankers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

to be fair, if I could emulate PSX/SNES etc (or even Xbox) games in a room like that, while on a flight it wouldn't be so bad. Because then, instead of playing a game with a seat 12 inches from your face your playing in a large room etc. Watching movies is the same, the gearvr, while kinda lovely, really does make you feel like you're in a movie theater instead of steerage class.

Qantas is doing that now with first class passengers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB9jCEXVQDk

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Panty Saluter posted:

:stare:

is this a real thing? what would you even do at a bank/investment firm for 17 hours straight, much less 72

trap sprung

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Salt Fish posted:

The secret to being highly profitable is to trick a bunch of suckers into working themselves literally to death for you while paying them essentially nothing.

as a scientist im having an existential crisis not because i do this to myself, because im just an idiot, but watching young people do it. i don't feel like i can morally stand by and watch them work for me like this

but science it totally worth it over $$$$$$$$$$$ rite

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Nope.

https://alexandreafonso.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/how-academia-resembles-a-drug-gang/

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

which rule of aquisition is this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

DrPossum posted:

as a scientist im having an existential crisis not because i do this to myself, because im just an idiot, but watching young people do it. i don't feel like i can morally stand by and watch them work for me like this

but science it totally worth it over $$$$$$$$$$$ rite

yeah I honestly question sometimes whether it's a moral thing to encourage early career people to think of academia as a career path. one of my advisors in undergrad gave it to me straight. i was dumb enough to stay in, and that's working out so far, but I've been on this track for eighteen years now and still have no permanent job

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

yeah I honestly question sometimes whether it's a moral thing to encourage early career people to think of academia as a career path. one of my advisors in undergrad gave it to me straight. i was dumb enough to stay in, and that's working out so far, but I've been on this track for eighteen years now and still have no permanent job

if you were working in industry, you would likely find yourself with no better stability; lots of contract jobs with few permanent prospects, and even those aren't typically so much permanent as salaried with ambiguous hours. And if you like the politics in academia, industry is often just as bad. Maybe it's just that work sucks regardless; I blame the MBAs. If you're doing what you enjoy with enough money to live, good work/ life balance and are fortunate enough to work in a good environment with nice people you've won imo, few people have that.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Broken Machine posted:

if you were working in industry, you would likely find yourself with no better stability; lots of contract jobs with few permanent prospects, and even those aren't typically so much permanent as salaried with ambiguous hours. And if you like the politics in academia, industry is often just as bad. Maybe it's just that work sucks regardless; I blame the MBAs. If you're doing what you enjoy with enough money to live, good work/ life balance and are fortunate enough to work in a good environment with nice people you've won imo, few people have that.

yeah and all of that is true for me which is why I'm still pretty happy with it. a whole lot of really talented people don't experience anywhere near as much success, though, and end up taking 100k in debt in the process. it's p hosed up

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

yeah and all of that is true for me which is why I'm still pretty happy with it. a whole lot of really talented people don't experience anywhere near as much success, though, and end up taking 100k in debt in the process. it's p hosed up

student loan debt is the worst thing. If education were free or at least much less costly we wouldn't have so many talented grads just chasing after money instead of doing what they would do if they could afford to. Oh whoops, you picked wrong here's 20+ years of debt bondage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
no poo poo. i was lucky enough to have scholarships so the only thing i've done is wreck my earning potential and set myself back 10 years

on top of this being my mental dialog all day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljv1fO4qrIw

but thats from ur poasts

• Locked thread