Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

A mix of 25% Castellan Green, 25% Sotek
Green, 25% Dawnstone and 25%
Nurgling Green

Easy :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Yup, a tackle box is probably the best solution.

Yeah, also paint in front of the TV in the living room and I've been looking for a long time, and this is really the best solution I can find as well. Currently, I have a laptop tray on wheels that is supposed to be my paint station, but I find it quickly starts to be a general junk pile and I have to move to another table. I start too many projects before completing the previous one.

You can get a dedicated paint storage case, depending on the paints you use, but they are usually way overpriced for a $5 case and some foam. They also don't hold the rest of your stuff, so they are pretty much useless in the long run.

Sadly, I haven't found The One yet, so I can't make a recommendation.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 21, 2015

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

ijyt posted:

Do any of the other paint manufacturers have an equivalent colour to the new FW Lupercal Green and Sons of Horus green?

I'd order the FW one if it wasn't for the bloody shipping.

They aren't quite 1:1 equivalents, but the paints I picked up awhile ago for SoH are vallejo panzer aces USMC tank crew (319) and model color green sky (70.974). Tamiya also has a spray of their field green color, but it smells like Mortarion's fart when being sprayed. Looks nice though:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ijyt posted:

Do any of the other paint manufacturers have an equivalent colour to the new FW Lupercal Green and Sons of Horus green?

Im going up to the forge world open day in a few weeks. I dont mind grabbing htem and sending them to you.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Im going up to the forge world open day in a few weeks. I dont mind grabbing htem and sending them to you.

I was actually being dumb and confusing FW with Darksphere's shipping policy regarding paints.

Darksphere makes you pay £11 for a courier if you order paints because of Royal Mails new policies. So no worries, but thanks!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just finished my first 4 Tactical Marines from the DV box set (using this tutorial linked a few pages ago). I'm pretty happy with the result, blurry camera photo aside. The gradual glazing worked really well in my opinion, but I loving hate painting aquilas. This time I painted them with the bolters already attached to the model, I'm considering detaching the bolters for the next batch and doing them separately.

Since I'm still new it felt like it took me ages to get this done from start to finish, probably around 2.5 to 3 hours for the 4 of them, doing each stage simultaneously on each model.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Had some time to work on Guilliman over the weekend. Got quite a lot done. Very nice model to work on.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

serious gaylord posted:

Had some time to work on Guilliman over the weekend. Got quite a lot done. Very nice model to work on.

You are a beast. Looks amazing so far.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How do you pin all that stuff together, anyway? I've tried using sticky tack but it doesn't hold on to the plastic very well.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Star Man posted:

How do you pin all that stuff together, anyway? I've tried using sticky tack but it doesn't hold on to the plastic very well.

I drill into the bits and stick it on with a tiny dab of superglue to stop it twirling.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ijyt posted:

Lupercal Green looks pretty close to P3 Cryx Bane Base, which is a warmer color with a green undertone. If you mix some coal black into it you'll probably be right there.

I'd just pull up the Vallejo paint charts and see what comes closest (unless you're committed to spending $12 for 40ml of paint)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Lupercal Green looks pretty close to P3 Cryx Bane Base, which is a warmer color with a green undertone. If you mix some coal black into it you'll probably be right there.

I'd just pull up the Vallejo paint charts and see what comes closest (unless you're committed to spending $12 for 40ml of paint)

Yeah, I've tried that but I don't really trust my old rear end monitors colour.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Do you use Photoshop? You can use it to sample their color codes and see how they compare to each other.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Can it be 10mm time now?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Do you use Photoshop? You can use it to sample their color codes and see how they compare to each other.

Great idea, thanks!

e: Looks like VGC Scurvy Green or VMC Black Green are closest to Lupercal Green, while possibly VMC Gunship Green for Sons of Horus Green.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 21, 2015

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

dishwasherlove posted:

Can it be 10mm time now?

You can't fool me, I measured my screen. Those are clearly 140mm. :colbert: Your $2 coin is also ridiculously over sized. Not a practical currency at all.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

serious gaylord posted:

This already looks gorgeous, I can't wait to see the finished product!

dishwasherlove posted:

Can it be 10mm time now?

I love these tiny skellies :3:

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

dishwasherlove posted:

Can it be 10mm time now?

Except for the one skellie in the back rank under the banner, every single one, even the skulls on the banner, have the stupidest happy grin on :haw:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
so if I pull the trigger on a cheapo airbrush/compressor from amazon (with the expectation that I'll eventually sell this to a co-worker and step up to badger gear), and buy a giant loving pile of vallejo game air paints (they've got a kit that's 47 paints plus primers and cleaning stuff and everything for like $200?), will I be able to use the Game Air paints to paint with a brush or would that be a bad idea?

Here's the stuff I'm looking at right now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KJDXHQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23ADOZFIJNPFB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001738DXU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23ADOZFIJNPFB

Plus for like $8 I can buy a set of adapters that will make this compressor with with a badger brush so I can upgrade incrementally.

Am I making any mistakes here outside spending a bunch of money on plastic dolls for a hobby I ditched a couple years back?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I use the model/game air paints all the time. It's already thinned for you.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Sigma-X posted:

so if I pull the trigger on a cheapo airbrush/compressor from amazon (with the expectation that I'll eventually sell this to a co-worker and step up to badger gear), and buy a giant loving pile of vallejo game air paints (they've got a kit that's 47 paints plus primers and cleaning stuff and everything for like $200?), will I be able to use the Game Air paints to paint with a brush or would that be a bad idea?

Vallejo air paints work fine with a brush, their metallics are awesome. The only thing with buying the kit is maybe getting paint you'll never use. I buy model/game color and thin it myself with water for most stuff, works quite well with everything I've tried so far.

I love airbrushing, I'm still learning though. I went all in and got a 6 gallon compressor and a Iwata HP-CS though. Working on using it more, it's a tricky tool but really fun to use when you get a neat effect out of it. The biggest hurdle I had to get over was learning how much/little to thin poo poo to shoot through it. Didn't realize how much I had to loving thin Createx to get it to work at all. I use that for terrain pieces. With Game Air though you have no worries, works great out the bottle.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sigma-X posted:

Here's the stuff I'm looking at right now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KJDXHQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23ADOZFIJNPFB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001738DXU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23ADOZFIJNPFB

Plus for like $8 I can buy a set of adapters that will make this compressor with with a badger brush so I can upgrade incrementally.

Am I making any mistakes here outside spending a bunch of money on plastic dolls for a hobby I ditched a couple years back?

I would get a Veda instead of a Master. They are usually a tiny bit more but they are generally much much better. Quality control on them is all over the place (much like Master) but I've honestly used Veda's that were on par with some of the lower end "real" airbrushes.

Also check your local harbor freight if you have one, they sometimes just have the gravity feed Masters for under 20 sometimes.

mentos
Apr 14, 2008

The Freshmaker!
Just finished my Vostroyan Taurox half-track conversion. Sorry for the lovely phone pics.

but wait... what's inside?

The driver is the vox caster mini split in half and rebuilt in a sitting position with green stuff. Pretty much the only model that would fit because of the silly hats. And Tauroxes are silly enough on their own.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Man, the guy in the back partied way too hard.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Driver: *phone dialing* hello, is this Mrs Patrokov? Yes this is about your son, your first born. No, no, his soul hasn't been eaten by the ruinous powers haha, he just when a little silly on the lho sticks. Yes, he was doing gravity bongs. I am looking after him fine Mrs Patrokov don't worry. Say hello to Mr Patrokov for me please. The Emperor protects!

dishwasherlove posted:

Can it be 10mm time now?

This rules. I am working on 10mm orcs and if you are in Sydney we should play.

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
Oath cross post:

Base was cleaned up after photo.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

mentos posted:

Just finished my Vostroyan Taurox half-track conversion. Sorry for the lovely phone pics.

but wait... what's inside?

The driver is the vox caster mini split in half and rebuilt in a sitting position with green stuff. Pretty much the only model that would fit because of the silly hats. And Tauroxes are silly enough on their own.

This is loving baller. I couldn't be assed to paint the interior of any of my Tauroxes, so I'm glad someone else did. There's too much detail in there for everyone to waste it.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
PyroDwarf the paws boss looks dross! I think that means solid? Really great basing, too, I never have the patience for it. Some gentle application of dark washes in the recesses could give the armor more definition.

SRM: desert camo crew, you got the sand color I could never achieve. My first attempt at that was an old Dark Eldar army, my new one looks just slightly better.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

dishwasherlove posted:

Can it be 10mm time now?

Whoa! Where'd you get that cool fantasy coin with the head of a mad hermit on it?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Whoa! Where'd you get that cool fantasy coin with the head of a mad hermit on it?

I'll sell you some at $5USD each

e: real metal, it's not a resin cast

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

PyroDwarf the paws boss looks dross! I think that means solid? Really great basing, too, I never have the patience for it. Some gentle application of dark washes in the recesses could give the armor more definition.

SRM: desert camo crew, you got the sand color I could never achieve. My first attempt at that was an old Dark Eldar army, my new one looks just slightly better.

My tan color for my Valhallans is just Steel Legion Drab layered up to Tallarn Sand and Karak Stone. If you wanted to go one step further, Screaming Skull is a good highlight. You can add a wash if you're feeling randy but I don't generally, with the exception of the cuffs and pants on my Valhallans.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Crosspoastin' my completed oaths for this month:

JerryLee posted:

This is the mini I had the most invested in this month, and happily, it's also the one I thought turned out nearly the best. :)

Conversely, I took a relatively :effort: attitude towards these. I mainly just wanted to get the entirety of Dragons Don't Share painted to a rough tabletop standard, and these are another notch in that belt. The only post-wash highlights were on skin, hair, and the green areas of the archer which would've been way too dark otherwise.

The cat lady here was originally somewhat exposed above her waist. ( :nws: https://www.crocodilegames.com/content/storeImg/WGE-132.jpg if you're curious.) I fixed that a little, but instead I exposed the fact that I'm not very good at sculpting fabric. Pretty happy with the paint jobs on these.

I'm also pretty happy with how these turned out. The dwarf is destined as a gift for my brother and he picked the color scheme. Direct any complaints accordingly.

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

Thanks. I was going to do a panel line wash but it was late, I was tired and had a headache and wanted to finish him. I was also worried about messing everything up. I'll experiment on a dude next time.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Painting a bunch of skin-tone for a dude but its coming out a bit similar to his copper armor.

Any quick fix to differentiate it and make it a bit less orange? Really like the paint job and don't want to start that part over again...

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

w00tmonger posted:

Painting a bunch of skin-tone for a dude but its coming out a bit similar to his copper armor.

Any quick fix to differentiate it and make it a bit less orange? Really like the paint job and don't want to start that part over again...

Use blue in places where there would be shadow and that should help a little. It doesn't help that copper is already a pretty neutralized color and so is human skin.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

This is loving baller. I couldn't be assed to paint the interior of any of my Tauroxes, so I'm glad someone else did. There's too much detail in there for everyone to waste it.

How did you do the green on the roof of the inside? Really dig that olive drab color.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hello, here is a mobile sacrificial shrine where voodoo/aztec gatormen sacrifice prisoners to cull their souls and power their infernal magics. It was big and annoying to paint but I am happy with the results.

Thank you for looking at my big dumb model.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yup, fukkin owns. It looks like an absolute nightmare to assemble and like there's more detail than I'd even know what to do with, but it looks incredible painted up like that. It even has enough skulls on it to make me happy.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

w00tmonger posted:

Consider doing a filter over the whole model. It will tie in all your colors and the similarity between the flesh tone and the armor will become a positive as opposed to a negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
Could I use this stuff:

the same way as an oil wash? Spray gloss varnish, use panel line accent, clean up with paint thinner, dull coat?