Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you haven't, read Inhumanity #1 and #2 before Inhuman.
I just read the last Inhuman issue (the annual/special whatever) and something from those issues calls back.

Also, it springs out of Hickman's Infinity miniseries, but you just have to know Black Bolt crashed their floating city into the sea, releasing the Inhumans' transformation mist over Earth, then disappeared with his crazy brother, which is probably in the recap page.

There are several "Inhumanity" tie-in's, but don't worry about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks guys, that was a big help!

Ghost Boner
Jul 6, 2009
Are there any good non-fiction books about comics? I've read Howe's Marvel The Untold Story and Morrison's SuperGods, which were both enjoyable reads, and I just finished up Miller/Eisner which was alright.

Apparently the new Kurtzman bio is really good?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I liked Men of Tomorrow. It's about the gangster origins of superhero comics.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, and someone can direct me elsewhere if it isn't, but I'm trying to remember the name of a comic I picked up once for cheap from a local shop. It had a mostly white hardcover, and it was about a robotic ant that went to live in an ant colony. There were some science facts off to the side on certain pages for people who wanted to learn more about ants, and so I guess you could skip over that stuff if you were a kid reading it. I think the ant was also Russian but I can't remember anything else about the book. Help me out, BSS.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, and someone can direct me elsewhere if it isn't, but I'm trying to remember the name of a comic I picked up once for cheap from a local shop. It had a mostly white hardcover, and it was about a robotic ant that went to live in an ant colony. There were some science facts off to the side on certain pages for people who wanted to learn more about ants, and so I guess you could skip over that stuff if you were a kid reading it. I think the ant was also Russian but I can't remember anything else about the book. Help me out, BSS.

Could it have been Ant Colony by Michael DeForge?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Could it have been Ant Colony by Michael DeForge?

It is definitely not that. The book I had was pretty realistic in terms of style, not as trippy looking as this DeForge work.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

EvilChameleon posted:

It's not Cyberantics: A Little Adventure is it?

http://www.amazon.com/Cyberantics-Little-Adventure-Rick-Geary/dp/1878574299

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

RE: Jim Starlin cosmic

His Dreadstar stuff isn't bad either, though I have no idea how readily available it is since that was on the original EPIC line.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

This is it. Thank you very much!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't read DC but comixology has a huge New 52 sale and I was wondering if any of these titles were worth looking at. The last DC stuff I read in continuity was probably the Sinestro Corps stuff.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I don't read DC but comixology has a huge New 52 sale and I was wondering if any of these titles were worth looking at. The last DC stuff I read in continuity was probably the Sinestro Corps stuff.
Well, Hitman, OBVIOUSLY.

Those are some Really-Good-But-Not-Great Mark Waid JLA issues. Excellent art by Hitch.

Omega Men #3 is the first appearance of Lobo, which is worth a read, as uh, he was a bit different back then.

It's on my to-read list, but I've heard really positive things about JL3000.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 10, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

If you're going to go with anything in that sale I'd skip all the New 52 stuff and get that run of Dr. Fate. That's the title that actually made me like the character when I got a random issue in a one of those comic grab bags many years ago. I eventually read the whole thing and came away really liking the character. Although I have heard decent things about JL3000.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Well, Hitman, OBVIOUSLY.

Those are some Really-Good-But-Not-Great Mark Waid JLA issues. Excellent art by Hitch.

Omega Men #3 is the first appearance of Lobo, which is worth a read, as uh, he was a bit different back then.

It's on my to-read list, but I've heard really positive things about JL3000.

So that's the same Hitman that people are talking about when they say Hitman is awesome?

Since both of yall have heard good things about JL3k I'll look at it too, is it all new characters or old-as-gently caress current characters?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

So that's the same Hitman that people are talking about when they say Hitman is awesome?

Since both of yall have heard good things about JL3k I'll look at it too, is it all new characters or old-as-gently caress current characters?
There's only one Hitman series, so yes. Same writer and artist throughout the 60 issue run (Ennis/McCrea). The Catwoman stuff is amazing, and his relationship with Kyle Rayner is a delight. Sad to see that the pissed-off dinosaur stuff isn't there. Seriously, this series has everything.

The JL3000-ers are all new characters, based on the heroes of our time (I think they're geneticlly modified clones or something?), so there's Superman, WW, et. al, but their personalities are totally different and they're all kind of dicks, actually.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 10, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

The JL3000-ers are all new characters

'Cept for Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Fire and Ice.
The world is the future of Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League from where they left it :)

e: It's completely approachable, though. Go buy.

ee: Batman Incorporated and Batman and Robin (+ the Robin Rises books) are good stuff and go well together.
Those, Hitman and JL3000.
I bought all of Dr Fate. I'll let you know about it when it comes out of my backlog in a few years.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 10, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

'Cept for Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Fire and Ice.
Right, but that doesn't happen for like 12 issues in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

There's only one Hitman series, so yes. Same writer and artist throughout the 60 issue run (Ennis/McCrea). The Catwoman stuff is amazing, and his relationship with Kyle Rayner is a delight. Sad to see that the pissed-off dinosaur stuff isn't there. Seriously, this series has everything.

The JL3000-ers are all new characters, based on the heroes of our time (I think they're geneticlly modified clones or something?), so there's Superman, WW, et. al, but their personalities are totally different and they're all kind of dicks, actually.

I just read it because of the sale. They're very explicitly not clones. They're human guinea pigs that have the League's DNA imprinted on them, as well as incomplete memories. So 'Bruce' doesn't recall his parents' death, Superman doesn't remember Ma & Pa Kent, Diana's more of a New 52 full-on murder Amazon, Hal... um... well, Hal's just kinda himself. He's less of a dick? So maybe that's the gently caress-up? And Flash dies a lot until they give a legacy character the powers.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I've got access to three months of Marvel Unlimited. Can anyone suggest a good starting point? I've read nothing so far.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Grawl posted:

I've got access to three months of Marvel Unlimited. Can anyone suggest a good starting point? I've read nothing so far.

What do you like?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Grawl posted:

To build up to the fun going on now, Jonathan Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers.

If you have time for a few more: Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, G. Willow Wilson's Ms. Marvel, Charles Soule's She-Hulk, Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder, Mark Waid's Daredevil (2011)

e: It has nothing to do with what's going on now, but I can't not recommend Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

ee:

Grawl posted:

I've only read (the first 200 or so) issues of Spawn.

It obviously ain't on Marvel Unlimited, but you should check out the current 'Batman' to see what Greg Capullo's up to twenty years later.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 18, 2015

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Gaz-L posted:

What do you like?

I've only read (the first 200 or so) issues of Spawn. In the Marvel galaxy, I guess Spiderman and X-men.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If all you've read is Spawn then I recommend the Age of Apocalypse storyline. It, too, is 90s as gently caress.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So I've been reading the Archie Mega Man comics and I'm liking how it's reasonably up-beat and not horribly angsty. Is there any other good stuff along those lines these days? I must just have terrible luck finding it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Keiya posted:

So I've been reading the Archie Mega Man comics and I'm liking how it's reasonably up-beat and not horribly angsty. Is there any other good stuff along those lines these days? I must just have terrible luck finding it.

They're probably not a lot like Mega-Man, but fitting 'up-beat, not angsty' I really like Bandette, Ms. Marvel, Silver Surfer and Gotham Academy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grawl posted:

I've only read (the first 200 or so) issues of Spawn. In the Marvel galaxy, I guess Spiderman and X-men.

Immortal Iron Fist and Astonishing X Men are both relatively well contained. Uncanny X Force by Remender is a bit more tied in to the Xmen world.

Also, there are over 10,000 comics so it's super daunting to a new reader. It comes up all the time so if you google "Marvle Unlimited Where to Start" tons of comic sites and blogs have put together lists of new reader friendly runs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keiya posted:

Atomic Robo! It's all free online now, too.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Grawl posted:

If you like Spider-man read Ultimate Spider-man. It's real good.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Grawl posted:

Someone else mentioned Astonishing X-Men and I wanna second that one, it's rad. I especially like when Pak and then Liu are on it but whatever. Whedon's part holds up OK. You might check out Wolverine & the X-Men by Jason Aaron, if you like X-Men stuff. It's a fun book set in the school so there's young mutants doin' stuff and being pretty funny and charming. You may or may not want to read the 'Schism' event that preceded it, but you can probably go fine without it honestly - just know Scott and Wolverine had an argument about the FUTURE OF MUTANTKIND, Wolverine hosed off and refounded the school, et voila. (There is also literally a comic called Spider-Man & the X-Men that's really fun but probably requires a little foreknowledge of the characters involved? Which can be gotten reading WATXM, so whatever.)

Uncanny X-Force, which other folks have recommended, is also super good and also explains more about a character who turns up in WATXM. I don't know how newbie-friendly it is ... It confused me a bit when I started out but a little Wiki-ing and a lot of rolling with the punches'll get you through fine.

You could always give Claremont's X-Men a go if you want more than a decade of stuff to wade through! :buddy:

Nota bene: I'm bad at comics and loving love to type too many words.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
I assume with all these recommendations you mean the latest installment? For example, Age of Apocalypse or Astonishing X-Men has several volumes.

It's insane how slow and how much of a maze the Marvel website is. They should take a hint from Netflix or Amazon or any other site not designed like it's 1999.

e: I forgot to mention I also read a lot of The Walking Dead and Fables, I just figured that doesn't matter when you want to get into the Marvel universe.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 19, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Nah, for Age of Apocalypse you're gonna wanna go a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-all the way back to 1995. Just use the "Discover" tab and look for it there, it should give you the whole event in reading order.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Phylodox posted:

Nah, for Age of Apocalypse you're gonna wanna go a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-all the way back to 1995. Just use the "Discover" tab and look for it there, it should give you the whole event in reading order.

Do you mean like this? Because drat, that's actually a good way to discover series. Didn't see this before.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's what I meant
Jonathan Hickman's Avengers: https://marvel.com/comics/series/16452/avengers_2012_-_present
Jonathan Hickman's New Avengers: https://marvel.com/comics/series/16451/new_avengers_(2013_-_present)
Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force: https://marvel.com/comics/series/9976/uncanny_x-force_(2010_-_2012)
Matt Fraction's Hawkeye: https://marvel.com/comics/series/16309/hawkeye_2012_-_present
G. Willow Wilson's Ms. Marvel: https://marvel.com/comics/series/18468/ms_marvel_2014_-_present
Mark Waid's Daredevil: https://marvel.com/comics/series/12916/daredevil_(2011_-_2014)
Jason Aaron: Thor: God of Thunder: https://marvel.com/comics/series/16729/thor_god_of_thunder_2012_-_present
Charles Soule's She-Hulk: https://marvel.com/comics/series/18472/she-hulk_(2014_-_present)

e: If you're trying the original AOA, (The great) Uncanny X-Force (which rules) returns to it for a storyline, and the 2011 "Age of Apocalypse" series spins off from that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 19, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Grawl posted:

Do you mean like this? Because drat, that's actually a good way to discover series. Didn't see this before.

Yeah, but once you start you might find yourself just bouncing endlessly from series to series. I started reading All New X-Men and they mentioned the destruction of Genosha so I figured I'd go back and read that and the next thing I know I've read through all of the X-Men comics from then up until now. When I read Civil War I ended up following, like, seven different titles after it was done.

At this point I don't even bother buying new Marvel comics. Unlimited is an amazing deal that I wish more companies would adopt (although I can understand why they wouldn't).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Grawl posted:

That's a great series, but I would suggest skipping ahead to X-Men: Alpha #1. That's the actual start of the series. The issues they have listed before that are things were released after AoA ended (though come before in continuity) and are pretty confusing out of context. If you want, go back and read those later.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, but once you start you might find yourself just bouncing endlessly from series to series. I started reading All New X-Men and they mentioned the destruction of Genosha so I figured I'd go back and read that and the next thing I know I've read through all of the X-Men comics from then up until now. When I read Civil War I ended up following, like, seven different titles after it was done.

At this point I don't even bother buying new Marvel comics. Unlimited is an amazing deal that I wish more companies would adopt (although I can understand why they wouldn't).

The only downside for me is that the MU is not HD.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What's some Harley Quinn stuff that's fun and silly, and not killing lots of kids with exploding gameboys? Something for someone who likes Ms Marvel and Squirrel Girl.

Girlfriend's seen some stuff she liked (I think from Injustice?) and it piqued her interest in the character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What's some Harley Quinn stuff that's fun and silly, and not killing lots of kids with exploding gameboys? Something for someone who likes Ms Marvel and Squirrel Girl.

Girlfriend's seen some stuff she liked (I think from Injustice?) and it piqued her interest in the character.

Didn't Bruce Timm write a Harley series? That probably fits.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The child killing was from Matt Kindt's villains month one shot.
The current series is fun and silly. Nothing like that comic or Suicide Squad,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Karl Kesel's Harley Quinn run from 2000 (collected in a few trades)
Gotham Girls miniseries from 2002 (uncollected)
Mad Love