Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
it says my audio is recording at 128. i cant find what the video records at. im new to this and i only used the reccomended setting on obs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

it says my audio is recording at 128. i cant find what the video records at. im new to this and i only used the reccomended setting on obs.

right above those audio settings should be a bitrate for your video

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Dryzen posted:

right above those audio settings should be a bitrate for your video

ok its at the default of 1000

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bump that up. That's a really low bitrate for a game made in the last 10-20 years.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

ChaosArgate posted:

Bump that up. That's a really low bitrate for a game made in the last 10-20 years.

Okay. What should I bump it to and can I use my previous recordings?

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Does anyone have any good tutorials for using OBS to locally capture?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You know how to use OBS to stream? Set it up the exact same way, and hit Start Recording instead of Start Streaming.

E: You'll want to jack up your bitrate if you want to use it as a source recording though. Unless you use the trick to make it record with Lagarith, the mp4 is going to come out lossy.

Artix fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 19, 2015

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

RealSovietBear posted:

The problem is that I don't know how to setup Voicemeeter/VAC without Skype callers hearing themselves back, but still being audible on the stream.

I wrote a guide back on page 68 that should do everything you're after, if I'm reading your posts correctly:

frozentreasure posted:

We want to use Skype to send video and audio of the Elgato to our guest, along with our mic input, but not the guest's input; and offset our mic input and the Skype output by enough time to line up with the Elgato feed, but not adjust the Elgato's audio. To do this, we'll need Voicemeeter Banana, the more advanced version of Voicemeeter. As far as we're concerned, the basic difference is that it lets us assign our mixture of inputs to not just one, but two "outputs".

Open up Banana and adjust things to look somewhat similar to what you see here:

1. Choose your microphone from the dropdown list, make sure none of the "A" feeds are highlighted, and that both B feeds are highlighted.

2. Choose "CABLE Output (VB-Audio etc.)" from the list (if you've used Voicemeeter before for streaming, you should have this installed for Skype audio already). Make sure "A1" and "B2" are highlighted.

3. These are the two virtual inputs; in Banana we have two instead of one, but we'll only be using one anyway. For safety, just set both of them the same; "A1" and "B1" highlighted. Open up something that plays audio; if you can't hear it, go into your Windows audio devices settings:

Make sure either one of the two Voicemeeter Inputs is selected as the default device. "Voicemeeter Input" is the virtual input on the left, while "Aux Input" is the one on the right. If you still can't hear anything, make sure that Voicemeeter is actually outputting to your speakers; click the "A1" in the top-right of the Voicemeeter window and choose your speakers.

Next, open your Skype settings and go to audio:

Make sure your microphone is "Voicemeeter Output" and not "Voicemeeter Aux Output". If you select the latter, with things set up the way they are right now, people on Skype will hear themselves when they talk to you. Then make sure Skype's "Speakers" are set to "CABLE Input". Call a friend to test: if you can hear them and they can hear you and whatever audio you play on your computer without hearing themselves when they speak, you've set it up correctly. If you don't want them hearing your audio, just un-highlight "B1" on whichever of the virtual inputs you see audio coming through in Banana.

Now we're roughly back at where you might have been before installing Banana; you can hear people on Skype, they can hear you, they can't hear themselves, and they can hear whatever you play on your computer. But we also selected "B2" for both your mic input and the Skype output. Open up your Windows audio device settings again and switch to the "Recording" tab:

(You don't have to change anything, I don't think, this is just to show you) You can test this by playing some audio and switching "B2" on and off for your virtual input in Banana; "Voicemeeter Output" is a mix of everything that is outputting to "B1", while "Aux Output" is a mix of all the "B2" feeds; and while our Skype guest is able to hear everything on "B1", we want the stream to hear everything on "B2".

Open up OBS and go to your audio settings:

The desktop audio device is how the stream is going to hear the Elgato; select whichever of the two Voicemeeter inputs you have selected as your default audio device for Windows. The microphone is how the stream is going to hear us and Skype; select "Voicemeeter Aux Output", the one that is a mix of your "B2" feeds. This is just the way I've set it up, of course; you could do the opposite and use "Voicemeeter Output" for the OBS mic, while the Skype mic is "Aux Output". The important thing is just that Skype and OBS are getting different Voicemeeter Output feeds from each other, and that the inputs are set appropriately.

Lastly, you want to set the mic offset; I was somewhat lined up with 1100ms, play around with what works for you.

And you're done! If you stream with your Elgato now, your stream should be your Elgato video and audio in-sync, synced with your audio, your guest on Skype not unknowingly talking over you, and them reacting as soon as the Elgato feed comes through on the computer and sends over Skype. You can now use this to stream PC games, too; just set the mic offset to 0 and everything will still be lined up.

You could also just stream with the Elgato software itself and set the "Live Commentary" input to be the same "Aux Output" that OBS would use; I don't know if the software adjusts for the delay or not.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Roaper posted:

Does anyone have any good tutorials for using OBS to locally capture?

OBSProject Site posted:

Here are the settings you are required to change to get high quality local recordings. Do not attempt to use these settings for live streaming!

Encoding
Use CBR: Disabled
Quality Balance: 10
Bitrate: 1000
Use custom buffer size: Enabled
Buffer size: 0

Advanced Options
Use custom x264 parameters: Enabled
Custom x264 parameters: crf=X
Where X is anywhere from 1-20, lower being higher quality / higher CPU usage. A good place to start is the 15 - 20 range. A CRF of 0 enables lossless recording which will have very high file size and CPU requirements and introduces compatibility issues, so be careful!

Explanation:
Setting the buffer size to zero disables the VBV system, allowing x264 to hit any bitrate necessary to achieve the quality (CRF) specified. If you wish to increase quality further, you need to use advanced options - quality 10 is equal to a CRF of 22, which is fine for live streams but not so good for local recording.

For compatibility with various editing software, it's also recommended to enable CFR (advanced options) and do not use CRF 0. CRF 0 uses "High 444" mode which a lot of editing software (and some video players) cannot handle.

I used a CRF of 5 for most of my games, but had to pull back to a 16/17 when I recorded Skyrim with all my mods because of it using more CPU than most other games I play. I have a i5-4570, for what it's worth.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Artix posted:

You know how to use OBS to stream? Set it up the exact same way, and hit Start Recording instead of Start Streaming.

E: You'll want to jack up your bitrate if you want to use it as a source recording though. Unless you use the trick to make it record with Lagarith, the mp4 is going to come out lossy.

What is the trick to make it record with Lagarith?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
God this is so hard to do. I wish I could just give the video to someone and they could edit it.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I don't think you can make OBS use Lagarith instead of h.264, what you can do is set CRF to 0 and have lossless recording, though that is not really supported and can cause issues with editing.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

God this is so hard to do. I wish I could just give the video to someone and they could edit it.

If you're willing to pay them this is a totally viable option.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Mycroft Holmes posted:

My best advice is that it's always going to be difficult the first few times around, but don't let that discourage you. It's easy enough for most of this to become second nature, it's all just getting that first good video done.

Like what are you having troubles with? I see that you've had to do some changes to OBS to get a better quality video to work in Megui; did that ever end up working?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Niggurath posted:

My best advice is that it's always going to be difficult the first few times around, but don't let that discourage you. It's easy enough for most of this to become second nature, it's all just getting that first good video done.

Like what are you having troubles with? I see that you've had to do some changes to OBS to get a better quality video to work in Megui; did that ever end up working?

Nobody ever answered my question of what bitrate to use. Also, will I be able to use the stuff I recorded before changing? I have 7 hours of footage.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Nobody ever answered my question of what bitrate to use. Also, will I be able to use the stuff I recorded before changing? I have 7 hours of footage.
Hmmm, well I like to go with 2500 instead of 1000 (though most people in here will try to steer you towards using specific ummmm it's either CBR or CFR values instead, but I never have good luck with doing that). And sadly if your avisynth script with your videos keeps giving you that "Too low bitrate" error, then you might have to try using another program like Premiere to do your editing. It's still super strange, I'm pretty sure I've ran an MP4 in an avs script through megui that was at 1000 bitrate. Would you perhaps be able to copy and paste your script into here, just to make sure there's nothing else maybe missing?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
"Bitrate too low" doesn't even make sense as a input error, and it only slightly makes sense as an output error. Please describe exactly what you're doing to get that error.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
DirectShowSource("C:\Users\midnight77\Videos\2015-06-04-2033-07.flv")
Trim(2730, 54421)
LanczosResize(1280, 720)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Don't use DirectShowSource, you should use FFMpegSource2. DSS is broken. Also I'm not sure if AVISynth plays nice with FLVs even with FFMS2, so set OBS to render MP4s.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

ChaosArgate posted:

Don't use DirectShowSource, you should use FFMpegSource2. DSS is broken. Also I'm not sure if AVISynth plays nice with FLVs even with FFMS2, so set OBS to render MP4s.

how do i set obs to render mp4s

also it says there's no such thing as FFMpegSource2 despite it being installed and used.

Mycroft Holmes fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 20, 2015

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
also, should i set obs to use downscaling? the youtube encoding guide says it needs to be 1280 by 720.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

^^^^^
And don't feel the need to downscale, that's more to lower bandwidth usage while streaming. What resolution are you running the game at?

Mycroft Holmes posted:

how do i set obs to render mp4s

also it says there's no such thing as FFMpegSource2 despite it being installed and used.
Sometimes you have to purposely tell it to load plugins, it won't always automatically recognize them. So it'd look like:

code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms-2.17\ffms2.dll")
import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms-2.17\FFMS2.avsi")
FFMpegSource2("C:\Users\midnight77\Videos\2015-06-04-2033-07.flv", vtrack=-1, atrack=-1, threads=1)
Making sure to change the plugin locations to where ever you have it installed.

Also to make OBS render MP4 is simple:

Simply manually type .mp4 instead of .flv there.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
ok. now it has no audio.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

ok. now it has no audio.
Hmmm, could you try to record just a new quick snippet of an MP4 instead of using an FLV? And try to pop that into the script in lieu of the FLV you're using now.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Niggurath posted:

Hmmm, could you try to record just a new quick snippet of an MP4 instead of using an FLV? And try to pop that into the script in lieu of the FLV you're using now.

ill try that tommorow

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

frozentreasure posted:

I wrote a guide back on page 68 that should do everything you're after, if I'm reading your posts correctly:

Yes, this is what I've been looking for! Thank you so much. I'll probably get a chance to test it next week, but if I'm reading it correctly, it should work.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
All right. I've got the sound working, ive got it edited. Whenever I go to save it it says avsproxy has crashed. AVSproxy does not in fact crash.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone know why I'm having this issue with Dxtory? I'm trying to record with x264 to save space, but when I start recording either the game freezes, or it appears to work but records the video with a framerate of 0, and when I stop the recording the FPS counter stays orange as if it were still recording.

Checking zero latency seemed to make it stop, but resulted in a video file with a really bad framerate.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So I'm capturing an mp4 with an elgato and my usual method of screwing around with editing in avisynth isn't working so far. How do I load up an MP4 so it'll be read by avisynth? Is there a specific filter I should have to get directshowsource to take it? I also looked briefly at ffmpegsource but I can't actually figure out how to get that plugin off of github.

edit: Not using directshowsource I guess, downloaded the filter at the bottom of the ADVICE post but still can't get ffmpegsource to work. FFMS2 uses a different command maybe?

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 22, 2015

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Go to Releases and scroll down and pick either the ICL version (if you have an Intel processor) or MSVC version (if you have an AMD). Extract that somewhere and then either load the path to that file directly or just drop ffms2.dll into the AviSynth plugins folder.

FFVideoSource is the command to load video using FFMpegSource. Note that you'll need to load the audio separately, which in practice means:

code:
a = FFAudioSource("file.mp4")
v = FFVideoSource("file.mp4")
AudioDub(v, a)

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I got it figured out. Apparently ffmpegsource2 requires an additional modifer at the end of the command. I wound up using

clip1=FFmpegSource2("[video location]",atrack=-1)

Gives me what I'm used to working with.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm tired of fighting with this avi stuff. If I get Adobe Premire do I have to deal with it?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
No, but you get to deal with arbitrary other levels of Adobe's bullshit instead.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Suspicious Dish posted:

No, but you get to deal with arbitrary other levels of Adobe's bullshit instead.

ugh. is there some program thats simple and easy to use? I'm willing to pay money not to deal with this bullshit.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Mycroft Holmes posted:

ugh. is there some program thats simple and easy to use? I'm willing to pay money not to deal with this bullshit.

Every program has it's issues. The trick is finding the program that has issues that that you already know how to work around.

What editing programs (audio, picture, video) are you familiar with?

What are you trying to do with the program? Is it simple cuts? Adding in custom animations?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Major_JF posted:

Every program has it's issues. The trick is finding the program that has issues that that you already know how to work around.

What editing programs (audio, picture, video) are you familiar with?

What are you trying to do with the program? Is it simple cuts? Adding in custom animations?

All I'm trying to do is cut and splice and fix audio crackling.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm not sure how it is at audio replacing/fixing, but apparently Windows Movie Maker is decent nowadays if you just want to make simple cuts. May be some hoops to jump through to make it not butcher the videos during rendering.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Geemer posted:

I'm not sure how it is at audio replacing/fixing, but apparently Windows Movie Maker is decent nowadays if you just want to make simple cuts. May be some hoops to jump through to make it not butcher the videos during rendering.

Yeah, but my first video is in flv format and I need to edit it. I need a program that nativly does flv and mp4 and fixes audio.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Oh perfect. I'm still using Vista 86x so Adobe and Vegas no longer work on my system. God, I wish someone could do this for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Oh perfect. I'm still using Vista 86x so Adobe and Vegas no longer work on my system. God, I wish someone could do this for me.
Though I hazard to ask, exactly how large would this FLV be? Cause I could try to see if I could edit it for you, though if it's like a 20 gig file or something that'd be difficult to send through a file sharing site like dropbox.