Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

DemonMage posted:

Yes, it applies to any job lower than your highest level job that is also lower than 50.
Any job lower than your highest level job that is 50-59 gets 50%.

Oh so if I was bored and waiting for a friend to show up to resume questing, I can actually get bonus exp on my scholar or whatever in coerthas fates? Great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's going to be the staging ground for the inevitable push into Ala Mhigo, what with Little Ala Mhigo and all the refugees and the Immortal Flames having an entire front on the border. Basically it's hard to imagine a time when Ul'dah won't be home to a large portion of the important plot poo poo.

And of course you will never, ever stop going to the Waking Sands. Ever.

I thought we were done with it forever. We've gone through like 3 HQs since Waking Sands, and yet :negative:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fister Roboto posted:

Mountain Dew is a perfectly lore-friendly Hellsguard name.

much like my original attempt at a character, notorious big

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
anybody here preorder via psn and know how exactly the process of getting heavensward is supposed to go?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Kuvo posted:

chairman please do the needful

The INSTANT I enter a quest, look what you people go and do.

Speaking of, god drat but DRK 50 is a hell of a thing. And, from what I can tell, it ties in so well thematically to the expansion, too. I'm really not regretting my decision to switch to DRK for doing the Heavensward MSQ.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SpaceDrake posted:

The INSTANT I enter a quest, look what you people go and do.

Speaking of, god drat but DRK 50 is a hell of a thing. And, from what I can tell, it ties in so well thematically to the expansion, too. I'm really not regretting my decision to switch to DRK for doing the Heavensward MSQ.

I'm still convinced the 30-50 DRK story is a commentary on how dumb the player--not the WoL, the player--is for doing the same stupid poo poo over and over, while inside s/he begs for sweet release from collecting more bear asses for more stupid NPCs

That's probably a "yeah, well, duh" spoiler, innit :(

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Still kind of nervous about BLM and the new Enochian/Fire IV thing - sure, the rotation looks lovely on paper and beats the poo poo out of a training dummy, but in a situation where you have to move (e.g., all the time), it's really impossible to keep up. We'd probably be doing the same amount of DPS with the old rotation given how many times we have to cancel the new one in order not to be squashed by something.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I will miss being able to mount in the new Revenant's Toll replacement. Idyllshire, more like i die a lil every time I go there shire

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Espilae posted:

Still kind of nervous about BLM and the new Enochian/Fire IV thing - sure, the rotation looks lovely on paper and beats the poo poo out of a training dummy, but in a situation where you have to move (e.g., all the time), it's really impossible to keep up. We'd probably be doing the same amount of DPS with the old rotation given how many times we have to cancel the new one in order not to be squashed by something.

You basically have two rotations now. The regular Fire spam for when you can't keep up Enochian and need it for a burn phase later on (Bismarck Ex), and the full on Fire 4 spam that's viable in most other cases. I've found very few instances where I can't keep up Enochian 100% of the time in dungeons and Ravana Ex. Otherwise just use Enochian and if something forces you to lose it, well, happens. As long it's not a burn phase it doesn't matter.

Black Mage DPS is off the loving charts now. Did 1.1k DPS over 3 minutes on the Curator in i163 with i180 weapon recently.

Eimi posted:

We would be, but we're too busy crying over Enochian.

i think i mentioned this before but shut the gently caress up

Tenzarin posted:

I having delaying casting again to see if I get a proc. Should I just be riding the gcd and canceling out for fire starter procs?

no, never. doesn't even matter at 60.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What level are the EX Primal weapons?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

fadam posted:

What level are the EX Primal weapons?

Bismarck is 175, Ravana is 190. For comparison, unupgrade tomestone weapons are 170, and they upgrade to 180.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also, there's an amazing bug right now where fishers treat maps like normal--you can get any number of them and they can be hq. I fished up like 15 wyvernskin maps in two hours today.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
I played through the whole 2.1 - 2.5 MSQ between Friday and Monday; probably not the ideal way to do it, but you guys were right, there's some genuinely entertaining storytelling along the way. It made me wonder why I quit originally (until I remembered FATE grinding).

So close to the actual Heavensward content, as soon as I can figure out which class to level...

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So how exactly IS machinist? I don't see many people taling about it, most people seem to just complain about bards.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Thumbtacks posted:

So how exactly IS machinist? I don't see many people taling about it, most people seem to just complain about bards.

I foolishly took it from 30 to 51 blowing rested xp and like 90 leves and god knows what else

it's not great and needs some kind of major mechanical overhaul

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've only played it a bit, but MCH is a little boring to me. A little weak for a DPS, so you're kind of relying on the machines to help you out.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Is it just wonky or is it BROKEN? I'm thinking about what to level after my DRK and shooting things seems pretty fun.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Their basic 1-3 depends on coinflips and one of their major abilities is a net DPS loss according to the math boffins

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They let someone left over from the 1.0 team do Machinist.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Thumbtacks posted:

Is it just wonky or is it BROKEN? I'm thinking about what to level after my DRK and shooting things seems pretty fun.

Broken? No it actually functions

Just what you get from it functioning isn't worth what you put in

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

It isn't broken, just subpar. Early on it feels like ARC, to me.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Their basic 1-3 depends on coinflips and one of their major abilities is a net DPS loss according to the math boffins

Supposedly parsers weren't catching Wildfire or the other dot and the parser isn't registering crit ticks right since they changed how dot crits work, so the numbers you heard aren't necessarily right.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Supposedly parsers weren't catching Wildfire or the other dot and the parser isn't registering crit ticks right since they changed how dot crits work, so the numbers you heard aren't necessarily right.

Even ignoring parsers bot minuet and Gauss barrel giving you 20% more damage when 20+% of your damage is Auto attacks is a net loss

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

I was talking about Gauss Barrel :v:

efb

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
and that's your big showpiece post-50 new mechanic

it's junk

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Thumbtacks posted:

Wonky. The biggest thing is loving RNG on your 123 combo, you can possibly be stuck hitting 1 over and over (which also kills your TP cause it's 70 a pop). Every time I don't get a proc it just irks me, which adds up to being irked about 100 times during a dungeon. Also, Gauss barrel seems to be pretty useless? I dunno that's just what I'm reading.

Also, another super annoying thing about it, is that it's possible for you to use your skill speed up move, and then make your moves come out so fast that a proc hasn't registered yet so you basically waste a move doing only 100 potency and then have to cast the same move again for the proc.

Those are my only main complaints. I don't think their damage is even that bad, but I don't care if they had the best damage in the game, RNG on 123 is just to incredibly off putting to me. Gonna go back to NIN for now.

also the sound effects aren't great

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

psymonkey posted:

Wonky. The biggest thing is loving RNG on your 123 combo, you can possibly be stuck hitting 1 over and over (which also kills your TP cause it's 70 a pop). Every time I don't get a proc it just irks me, which adds up to being irked about 100 times during a dungeon. Also, Gauss barrel seems to be pretty useless? I dunno that's just what I'm reading.

Also, another super annoying thing about it, is that it's possible for you to use your skill speed up move, and then make your moves come out so fast that a proc hasn't registered yet so you basically waste a move doing only 100 potency and then have to cast the same move again for the proc.

Those are my only main complaints. I don't think their damage is even that bad, but I don't care if they had the best damage in the game, RNG on 123 is just to incredibly off putting to me. Gonna go back to NIN for now.

also the sound effects aren't great

WOAH

wait

I thought the 123 combo just augmented the next ability in the chain. Are you saying if you hit 1 there's a 50% chance you'll be able to hit 2?

gently caress that

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh no, you can still hit 2 and 3

there's just zero reason to unless you have the proc or ammo

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

WOAH

wait

I thought the 123 combo just augmented the next ability in the chain. Are you saying if you hit 1 there's a 50% chance you'll be able to hit 2?

gently caress that

They are 140 100, 100 potency base

Proc makes the 2nd and 3rd 180 and 200 respectively

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
that's dumb as gently caress why would they do that

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Also, the ammo mechanic is REALLY uninspired. All it really does is make your 123 combo work like normal twice in a row. I imagined more moves using ammo to give them unique properties.

Like, I get what they were going for, the idea is you pop wildfire and unload all your oGCD abilities and use ammo and guarantee your combo for a dank wildfire proc, and that part is cool and fun for that 15 seconds. The other 75 seconds is an exercise in frustration.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
in conclusion, play dark knight you'll be doing better damage anyway

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Thumbtacks posted:

I took a machinist to level 42 or so, asked myself the same exact thing, and decided to play something else. I'm ignoring the suggestions of sub-par damage since the only parser out there still doesn't accurately track the level 50+ abilities or handle the new dot ticking mechanics correctly - it just feels kind of bad to play and at best feels like an awkward bard.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Thumbtacks posted:

Everyone on the dev team was too busy blowing their loads making DRK loving incredible to have anything left over for machinists.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
DRK is really fun and all the cutscenes look cool with a giant loving sword on your back

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
parser or not, it feels like the damage you're doing is garbage, and dying repeatedly in the Halatali story instance because I felt like I wasn't doing the damage the game expected me to be able to do was the nail in the coffin for me.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

mr. stefan posted:

Everyone on the dev team was too busy blowing their loads making DRK loving incredible to have anything left over for machinists.

This becuase:

psymonkey posted:

Also, the ammo mechanic is REALLY uninspired. All it really does is make your 123 combo work like normal twice in a row. I imagined more moves using ammo to give them unique properties.

This mechanic exists, it's dark arts on Dark knight which does basically what you imagined ammo would do.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dark Knight is Good enough for me to take up tanking. It's good poo poo

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Stormgale posted:

This becuase:

This mechanic exists, it's dark arts on Dark knight which does basically what you imagined ammo would do.

It's basically what they need to do or you're going to see people moving back to BRD, BLM and SMN for ranged DPS options super quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Gearhead posted:

It's basically what they need to do or you're going to see people moving back to BRD, BLM and SMN for ranged DPS options super quick.

Probably.

• Locked thread