Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Slavvy posted:

Are you in a LAMS state?

Yes. I had a look at it and all 250s bar 2 or so are approved, loads of other stuff too. I just don't know what's good and what's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Yes. I had a look at it and all 250s bar 2 or so are approved, loads of other stuff too. I just don't know what's good and what's not.

In that case:

GS500
Any 400 from the 90's or newer
Pregen SV650
DRZ400
Ninja 500
Nt650/400 bros/hawk
Hyosung 250

Your first bike isn't your last, what you want is a comfortable reliable bike with neutral handling and not too much value for when you fall over in your driveway.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

...which Buells am I not supposed to like again??

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Slavvy's list is good.

Having had a quick check ;

2006 CB250F http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/aitkenvale/motorcycles/honda-cbf250/1082141097

Ghetto CB250rr
Honda cbr 250rr lams approved.,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wishart/motorcycles/honda-cbr-250rr-lams-approved-/1082087564

NICE Ninja 250 URGENT SALE! Kawasaki Ninja 250R with helmet, jacket and gloves,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bentley-park/motorcycles/urgent-sale-kawasaki-ninja-250r-with-helmet-jacket-and-gloves/1082071138

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd avoid the 4 cylinder CBR250's because they were THE FASTEST LEARNER BIKE YO before LAMS and are all completely hosed after 40-odd thousand km's thanks to a combination of learner riders and an extremely high-strung engine.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That's the same area I live - check Gumtree.com.au as well as Bikesales.com.au. There's plenty of stuff out there. Brisbane Motorcycles Spares & Repairs has a bunch of cheap LAMS bikes for sale for under $2000. They're at Sumner Park. Check them out.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

I'd avoid the 4 cylinder CBR250's because they were THE FASTEST LEARNER BIKE YO before LAMS and are all completely hosed after 40-odd thousand km's thanks to a combination of learner riders and an extremely high-strung engine.

To be fair, those aren't without their appeal. If you're deadset on a 4-cyl 250cc that revs to 20,000 you can generally pick up a Kawasaki Balius / Suzuki GSX250FX for $2k or thereabouts. They're naked versions of Kawasaki and Suzuki's CBR250RR equivalents and tend not to have been abused as much / have lower k's. Parts availability isn't fantastic, but it ain't dreadful, and they're pretty fun bikes.

Where "fun" equals sitting on a bike as big as a clown tricycle that makes less than 10 horsepower unless you're well over 10,000 RPM.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My first bike was a GSXR250 :)

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Slavvy posted:

Your first bike isn't your last, what you want is a comfortable reliable bike with neutral handling and not too much value for when you fall over in your driveway.

Yeah exactly. It's not like driving a car, I know I'm going to gently caress up a lot and damage whatever I buy. I'm not completely new to bikes, I've played around a bit on little dirt bikes and I nearly killed myself on a mates big dirt bike, not sure on the displacement, but that thing was proper scary to ride.

I'll check out the bikes posted here, thanks.

E:

I saw this, thought awyis, then realised its a 4 day round trip away.

Queensland is pretty big :(. The blue dot to where it says gold coast is ~30-40 minutes.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 23, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Revvik posted:

...which Buells am I not supposed to like again??

Those are cool but you're just as likely to light on fire as you are to get where you're going.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
What is the goon opinion on the Ninja 300? On a $3k budget, is a second gen SV or the ninja a better deal? Something about riding the ninja hard and still not being too crazy speed-wise sounds fun.

Edit: would this be worth a fly and ride? http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/5053633241.html

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 23, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They're a lot of fun and leave you room to grow. The sv is alright too.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

If you can spring the extra $ for a 300 do it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Dutymode posted:

What is the goon opinion on the Ninja 300? On a $3k budget, is a second gen SV or the ninja a better deal? Something about riding the ninja hard and still not being too crazy speed-wise sounds fun.

Edit: would this be worth a fly and ride? http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/5053633241.html

Yamaha and Honda also make 300's (YZF-R3 and CBR300R) but both are first year models so you would probably have to buy new. How far of a fly and ride? SV's are pretty common so I wouldn't go out of my way unless you are just in it for the adventure (which is totally cool and awesome).

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Chicago, so it could be done in one (long) day. I think I could probably find the Ninja for $3k if I'm a little patient, though, so if that's a better deal I might just wait.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gorson posted:

SV's are pretty common so I wouldn't go out of my way unless you are just in it for the adventure (which is totally cool and awesome).

Yeah I don't think an SV is worth traveling far for. If they're not popping up in your search, try out a Craigslist want ad. Nice thing about doing that is you can start the negotiation where you want rather than the unrealistic number the seller pulls out of their optimistic rear end.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Dutymode posted:

Chicago, so it could be done in one (long) day. I think I could probably find the Ninja for $3k if I'm a little patient, though, so if that's a better deal I might just wait.

There are a ton of used SVs that pop up on CycleTrader near Chicago too, especially if you don't mind the S-series with the fairings and the clip-ons.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah I don't think an SV is worth traveling far for

Unless you want an SV with ABS. The price is similar but they're super rare.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

captainOrbital posted:

There are a ton of used SVs that pop up on CycleTrader near Chicago too, especially if you don't mind the S-series with the fairings and the clip-ons.

Oddly the S always seems to sell for less. The gen 1 S is goofy looking but I like the look of the gen 2.

Dutymode posted:

You can get a 08-12 Ninja 250 for under $3k easy, but the 300 has only been out for a year. $3.5k, maybe, with a little haggling. This is as low as you're going to see, and it's been dumped:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/5041614782.html

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Hello CA, although I haven't posted here I've been obsessively reading this thread and the many others in this sub forum for the past few weeks and I'd like to thank those people who go out of their way to help newbies out. I'm brand new to this, and this thread helped steer me away from making a stupid(er?) decision for my first bike.

Anyway, just posted to say I bought a slightly used CBR500R today (4900.00 :canada: out the door, it seemed like a pretty good deal), and now I'm looking forward to my safety classes.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

LCdr. Jebus posted:

Hello CA, although I haven't posted here I've been obsessively reading this thread and the many others in this sub forum for the past few weeks and I'd like to thank those people who go out of their way to help newbies out. I'm brand new to this, and this thread helped steer me away from making a stupid(er?) decision for my first bike.

Anyway, just posted to say I bought a slightly used CBR500R today (4900.00 :canada: out the door, it seemed like a pretty good deal), and now I'm looking forward to my safety classes.

Uh, that's not a super Duke...

Welcome! Nice choice. How does it work in Canada? Do you get your license first or do you take the safety classes and then get a license?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

builds character posted:

Uh, that's not a super Duke...

Welcome! Nice choice. How does it work in Canada? Do you get your license first or do you take the safety classes and then get a license?

It varies (sometimes greatly) from province to province, but for BC where I am now you write a multiple choice test to get your learners, do a basic 15 minute skills test 2 weeks later (after which you can ride without a buddy with a full license following you) followed by a road test two weeks after that for your full license.

Government sanctioned safety courses are highly recommended, but optional and take the place of the skills test.

I'm moving to Ontario shortly which has a full graduated plan where it will take me 2 years to earn my full license and doing my safety course there, which counts for their basic skills test.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
http://dothan.craigslist.org/mcy/5075361288.html

At first glance this looks pretty good. If I go look at it, what should I look for? This would be my first bike and it would be a daily commuter for 60 miles round trip on a highway. I'd need to go at least 70 comfortably.

There's also this one. I really dig it's look.

http://dothan.craigslist.org/mcy/5029999071.html

For reference, I'm 6'4" and 317 (and shrinking!)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Diggie posted:

At first glance this looks pretty good. If I go look at it, what should I look for? This would be my first bike and it would be a daily commuter for 60 miles round trip on a highway. I'd need to go at least 70 comfortably.

For your first bike please don't get a bike from 1982 unless you know how to wrench things.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Diggie posted:

Those Vstars are decent bikes, if a bit boring. They are good beginner bikes due to the low seat height and low CG and predictable (read: not much) power. They are certainly capable of 70mph, but whether or not that is "comfortable" over a 60 mile commute depends on the rider's ability to put up with superslab traffic and boredom. Me? Not so much. Offer $2000 on it, with the intention to haggle a bit, and see if he bites.

As for the Ascot, as far as 80's bikes go they are easy to maintain (thumper) and reliable. It also appears the PO has done some maintenance on it. However, it is still 30+ years old and any bike of that vintage needs restoration in the form of new shocks/springs/rubber/gaskets/wheel bearings/calipers and master cylinder rebuilds, etc etc unless it has been babied it's whole life, or has already been restored. Those new shocks also look like ebay Chinese poo poo, emgo probably, and I don't trust PO's who replace the tires one-at-a-time. The FT500 actually makes a pretty good little track bike or around-towner but wouldn't be good for interstate commuting. Honda did make another Ascot, the VT500, which is a vtwin and has shaft drive. That would be a better freeway bike but again, they only made them in 83-84 so the same rules about old bikes apply.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Question to anyone:

Which bike would you choose between the TW200, XT225, XR250, and KLR250 and why? I'm looking for one of those to be a street-legal (stock, so I don't have to deal with some dummy's hack conversion) gravel runner for Forest Service roads. I'm already familiar with a KLR250 and love it but have never ridden any of the others.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

Gorson posted:

Those Vstars are decent bikes, if a bit boring. They are good beginner bikes due to the low seat height and low CG and predictable (read: not much) power. They are certainly capable of 70mph, but whether or not that is "comfortable" over a 60 mile commute depends on the rider's ability to put up with superslab traffic and boredom. Me? Not so much. Offer $2000 on it, with the intention to haggle a bit, and see if he bites.

As for the Ascot, as far as 80's bikes go they are easy to maintain (thumper) and reliable. It also appears the PO has done some maintenance on it. However, it is still 30+ years old and any bike of that vintage needs restoration in the form of new shocks/springs/rubber/gaskets/wheel bearings/calipers and master cylinder rebuilds, etc etc unless it has been babied it's whole life, or has already been restored. Those new shocks also look like ebay Chinese poo poo, emgo probably, and I don't trust PO's who replace the tires one-at-a-time. The FT500 actually makes a pretty good little track bike or around-towner but wouldn't be good for interstate commuting. Honda did make another Ascot, the VT500, which is a vtwin and has shaft drive. That would be a better freeway bike but again, they only made them in 83-84 so the same rules about old bikes apply.

By comfortably I mean like not having to go full throttle the whole way.

I didn't think a 30 year old bike would be a good idea, but I love the look. Between friends and family, I have no problem getting access to tools and a wide knowledge base, but I don't want to constantly tinker with it like I have to with my 25 year old truck.

I should mention that my ride to work takes 30 minutes and traffic isn't an issue until I'm around 5 minutes from my office. Very little congestion in the mornings or afternoons.

Diggie fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 24, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You'll have a 650 wound up pretty good on the freeway but it will do it.

If you're shopping cruisers, the vtwin cruisery engines make a lot less power per cc because they're designed to operate at lower revs. You'd probably do fine on anything 1300cc on down. Vulcan 800s are solid, cheapish, less-ancient options.

I usually recommend against Honda cruisers though. Their two-pin cranks make the engine sound 100% broken and their geometry is best described as "clumsy" or "terrifying".

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey Diggie I'm your weight and a GS500 was enough to get me to 80+ and up comfortably. With that bike you're talking 45~50 hp and just under 400 lbs for the bike. Any bike with that much power or above should be able to hit those speeds easily.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
I'm still looking around on Craigslist. Thanks for the advice. I'll look for at least a 750 on a cruiser. I don't know about the sport bike option, though. I need to ride one and see how it feels.

The GS500s with the farings off don't look bad. I just don't care for the plastic stuff everywhere.

Diggie fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 24, 2015

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Diggie posted:

I'm still looking around on Craigslist. Thanks for the advice. I'll look for at least a 750 on a cruiser. I don't know about the sport bike option, though. I need to ride one and see how it feels.

The GS500s with the farings off don't look bad. I just don't care for the plastic stuff everywhere.

The Suzuki M50 (800cc) and the Marauder (its predecessor) are other options. They also made the Volusia (sp?) cruiser. Since they are Suzuki's they are common and cheap.

Diggie posted:

I didn't think a 30 year old bike would be a good idea, but I love the look. Between friends and family, I have no problem getting access to tools and a wide knowledge base, but I don't want to constantly tinker with it like I have to with my 25 year old truck.

I should mention that my ride to work takes 30 minutes and traffic isn't an issue until I'm around 5 minutes from my office. Very little congestion in the mornings or afternoons.

Old bikes are fun to ride and tinker on, but not much for reliability. The best way to own one is to have 2 bikes, one that won't let you down and one that you can wrench on. It's my opinion that many new riders get turned off motorcycles because they bike an old bike for the retro look, they overpay for it, then it breaks down on them in the first week and collects dust for years. I know, I wanted a UJM when I first started riding, and have 2 friends who are thinking about riding who both want old bikes. I'm trying to convince them they don't.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Question to anyone:

Which bike would you choose between the TW200, XT225, XR250, and KLR250 and why? I'm looking for one of those to be a street-legal (stock, so I don't have to deal with some dummy's hack conversion) gravel runner for Forest Service roads. I'm already familiar with a KLR250 and love it but have never ridden any of the others.

One of these kids is not like the other. The TW200 is more of a slow speed, rough terrain hillclimber than for gravel fire roads, though it can do that too. I would get the KLR250 or XT225/250, because they are common and cheaper than the XR. The Super Sherpa should also be on your list, if for no reason other than it has an awesome loving name.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Exactly everything that has been said about old bikes. I started with an abandoned 82 Magna and I'm amazed that I didn't light myself on fire out of frustration. If you're sick of tinkering on a 1990-ish pickup, you don't want a 33 year old oddball bike that's only done 10,000 miles.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah my first bike was a then-28yo XS750. I put maybe 50 miles on it before it started sucking to own. I'm still riding despite it.

It's a basket case now if someone wants a free project come get it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gorson posted:

One of these kids is not like the other. The TW200 is more of a slow speed, rough terrain hillclimber than for gravel fire roads, though it can do that too. I would get the KLR250 or XT225/250, because they are common and cheaper than the XR. The Super Sherpa should also be on your list, if for no reason other than it has an awesome loving name.

Right on, thanks. I consider the Super Sherpa just an extension of the KLR250. They're kind of rare on CL around here, but if there was one of those on at the same time as a regular 250, I'd go for it first.

edit: Although, now that I look into it, the Sherpa is not a KLR250. I guess I've been carrying that misconception for a while now. Sherpa looks like a better bike to me.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 24, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If you're looking at a Vstar, take a look at the Honda CTX700. It's also a 650 but very smooth on the freeway.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Right on, thanks. I consider the Super Sherpa just an extension of the KLR250. They're kind of rare on CL around here, but if there was one of those on at the same time as a regular 250, I'd go for it first.

edit: Although, now that I look into it, the Sherpa is not a KLR250. I guess I've been carrying that misconception for a while now. Sherpa looks like a better bike to me.

I'm not sure what the difference is between them, probably not much if anything, but the Sherpa does have a different designation from Kawi (KL250G).

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gorson posted:

I'm not sure what the difference is between them, probably not much if anything, but the Sherpa does have a different designation from Kawi (KL250G).

A little Googling says the Sherpa is about 20 lbs lighter, lower gearing, stainless steel muffler, and is air cooled. I think those are probably the most important differences, but they're not so huge that I'd refuse a KLR.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I don't know if newer KLR250s are the same, but the super sherpa is electric start, where as my 90's klr250 was kick only.
It wasn't too bad when it was running perfect, but as a fat old man I would have liked electric start better. Air cooled would have been awesome too as I had a hose get cut while in a trailer and all my coolant fell out.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a totally academic question. What are some good bikes to look at for long-legged passengers? My girlfriend has a 34" inseam and my VFR800 kills her knees (and she leans on me hardcore, sliding me into the tank). If got a feeling the answer is FJR, ST, Goldwing or cruiser but maybe I'm missing something (UJM?) good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Any adventure bike ever. Or a dual sport.