Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

CommieGIR posted:

He has a tenuous grasp of it, but he's trying to hard to take Quantum Physics and yank it into his theology. And that isn't how/what Quantum Physics is for nor what the interpreted results imply.

"No actual" and 'tenuous" are synonymous. And yes, clearly his only interest in quantum physics is the parts of it that appear mystical to a totally naive interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

rear end in a top hat Businessman posted:

There's a reason the Tony Stark of our times has put out a warning against it: the genie seems to be coming out of the bottle.

What reason is that? We largely have not seen any 'real' AI other than advanced pattern recognition, and despite Stephen Hawking and a couple others throwing their say in, I don't think we're anywhere near knowing whether AI is going to be dangerous, good, or neutral. We haven't even really begun beyond basic neural networks.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Obdicut posted:

"No actual" and 'tenuous" are synonymous. And yes, clearly his only interest in quantum physics is the parts of it that appear mystical to a totally naive interpretation.

Also I think if you explained materialism to a cat there would be no change in its behavior from the usual feline indifference to everything that actually matters.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

What reason is that? We largely have not seen any 'real' AI other than advanced pattern recognition, and despite Stephen Hawking and a couple others throwing their say in, I don't think we're anywhere near knowing whether AI is going to be dangerous, good, or neutral. We haven't even really begun beyond basic neural networks.
I actually think the specific fears of a lot of the AI worriers are pretty much the photo-negative image of modern Christianity; they fear they are going to actually create (and perhaps inevitably, because Moore's Law is obviously a real physical law, guys) a super-intelligent being who will then immediately invent everything it needs to be Literally God, Or At Least Literally God From The Perspective Of Earthdwelling Mammals.

What seems a lot more likely to me is that increasingly high-end automation will directly (by causing more flash-crashes for absolutely no loving reason at all) or indirectly (by causing mass unemployment - say, making drivers unemployed, replacing Kyrie's shitposting gimmick) cause mass economic upheaval.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

I actually think the specific fears of a lot of the AI worriers are pretty much the photo-negative image of modern Christianity; they fear they are going to actually create (and perhaps inevitably, because Moore's Law is obviously a real physical law, guys) a super-intelligent being who will then immediately invent everything it needs to be Literally God, Or At Least Literally God From The Perspective Of Earthdwelling Mammals.

What seems a lot more likely to me is that increasingly high-end automation will directly (by causing more flash-crashes for absolutely no loving reason at all) or indirectly (by causing mass unemployment - say, making drivers unemployed, replacing Kyrie's shitposting gimmick) cause mass economic upheaval.

Sure, automation is a growing trend, but its more an economic and social fear than scientific one. But that more comes down to how our Capitalistic system will treat it versus the warnings coming from Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk that seems to amount to: "Watch out guys, don't make the Terminator" and seems more of an appeal to deep seated imagery and fear-mongering than evidence backed science.

We've got enough to deal with as far as industrial and retail automation to be jumping on AI researchers and telling them to watch their step.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Hey Kyrie, your welcome to your arguements as a matter of academic debate, but could you at least extend me the courtesy of believing I'm living as much of a happy and fulfilling life as you? When theists start railing on skeptics for having depressing lives because of their thoughts on supernatural beliefs it really is kind of embarassing and silly and sort of offensive too? If you can't see a reason for why this could be so maybe you can use that handy dandy faith of yours to believe it. Thanks.

Religion is statistically proven to make people much happier and in order to improve the Gross National Happiness index I prescribe everyone in the country should be religious.

Nessus posted:

Moore's Law has been shockingly true in the fifty-some years since it was introduced, but processor speed is not the limiting factor in AI but rather human inability to create human-like software.

OwlFancier posted:

As discussed before, entertainingly, an AI doesn't have to be as intelligent as a human, it just has to be able to look as intelligent as a human :v:

If you read what I wrote you will see I said "mimics" and therefore am totally consistent with this interpretation. Although I think it's kind of a weak version of AI compared to more humanized versions such as Data or Johnny Five Alive, who are sincerely argued to be essentially human-like and to deserve civil rights and so on. Some people call this "artificial life" but I think it's often what people mean by AI. I'm also not surprised we discussed it in this thread before because it has been around since November and people keep posting in it!!! Because they love Jesus!!

Kyrie eleison fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 22, 2015

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Reading Kyrie eleison's posts makes me feel ever more grateful that religious belief continues to steadily be on the decline in the U.S.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Religion is statistically proven to make people much happier and in order to improve the Gross National Happiness index I prescribe everyone in the country should be religious.

So.....despotic theological dictatorship?

Thanks for your time.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Moore's Law has been shockingly true in the fifty-some years since it was introduced, but processor speed is not the limiting factor in AI but rather human inability to create human-like software.

No, the problem is that processors do not operate like neurons. No amount of software you throw at it is going to solve this short term.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Because they love Jesus!!

No, because you make lovely claims in D&D

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 22, 2015

Asshole Businessman
Aug 8, 2007
I heart Donald Trump.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Iceland and Denmark scored 2nd and 3rd on the World Happiness Report while having around a quarter of their population as either atheist, agnostic, or some other form of nonbelief. How do you account for this?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Iceland and Denmark scored 2nd and 3rd on the World Happiness Report while having around a quarter of their population as either atheist, agnostic, or some other form of nonbelief. How do you account for this?

I looked at Wiki and it said that Iceland is like 85% Christian, which is about 15% more than the US, which also has about a quarter of its people identifying as non-religious, but Wiki is run by pro-Christian ideologues and cannot be trusted. About 78% of people in Denmark identify as members of their national church and there are some smaller Christian groups as well.

Incidentally, Zimbabwe, which is lowest on the happiness index also had like an 85% Christian rate. Mayhaps there are other factors to happiness besides simply religious identification?? (I never suggested otherwise)

But studies have shown that religion tends to make people happier.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Studies have also shown the opposite.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

CommieGIR posted:

Studies have also shown the opposite.

Yeah science is pretty insanely biased on the intended conclusion of the experimenter. But I can definitely say that all of the suicide types online tend to include lots of bemoaning about the meaningless godless universe in their pity pleas

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

But I can definitely say that all of the suicide types online tend to include lots of bemoaning about the meaningless godless universe in their pity pleas

HAHAHAHAHA

Oh, you're serious? HAHAHAHAHA

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

CommieGIR posted:

HAHAHAHAHA

Oh, you're serious? HAHAHAHAHA

Why do you act like this. Are you a teen

Here's a thing http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/abs/10.1176/appi.ajp.161.12.2303

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Happy people don't shoot up churches composed of a different race than themselves.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Wade Wilson posted:

Happy people don't shoot up churches composed of a different race than themselves.

Umm... Are you suggesting that racist dude was religiously motivated as he shot up a church. His manifesto makes clear he was motivated by racism, which is in contradiction with traditional Christian views on race

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

This study doesn't say anything about the causative relationship. Suicidal people rejecting religious identity accounts for the phenomenon just as well as your implied-but-ne'er-spoken idea.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wade Wilson posted:

Obviously the WRONG religion :smuggo:

They didn't commit suicide because they didn't want to go to hell, moron. Its not 'treating' depression, they even state that the stressors and depression are often the same. Its not a treatment plan.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

quote:

CONCLUSIONS: Religious affiliation is associated with less suicidal behavior in depressed inpatients. After other factors were controlled, it was found that greater moral objections to suicide and lower aggression level in religiously affiliated subjects may function as protective factors against suicide attempts. Further study about the influence of religious affiliation on aggressive behavior and how moral objections can reduce the probability of acting on suicidal thoughts may offer new therapeutic strategies in suicide prevention.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yes, and instead of suggesting 'Religion' as a treatment plan, they are using what they found to better develop treatments.

Their Conclusions were not: "Welp, if we want people to stop committing suicide, they'd better give it up to the LAWD!"

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
That would be an odd conclusion to make.

E:it looks like it might work tho

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Since this is an American study, we also can't rule out Durkheim's theory of social integration- that nonreligious people are socially disintegrated and thus more prone to suicide. Of course, nonreligious societies are thin on the ground to study if religious people in those societies are more likely to kill themselves.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Effectronica posted:

Since this is an American study, we also can't rule out Durkheim's theory of social integration- that nonreligious people are socially disintegrated and thus more prone to suicide. Of course, nonreligious societies are thin on the ground to study if religious people in those societies are more likely to kill themselves.

Speak of the devil:

quote:

Few studies have investigated the association between religion and suicide either in terms of Durkheim’s social integration hypothesis or the hypothesis of the regulative benefits of religion. The relationship between religion and suicide attempts has received even less attention

Hmmmm, what a very targeted study..

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

How like irrational religious people, to find meaning and purpose in continuing to live when there is none. :smugdog:

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yeah science is pretty insanely biased on the intended conclusion of the experimenter. But I can definitely say that all of the suicide types online tend to include lots of bemoaning about the meaningless godless universe in their pity pleas

I think it has more to do with the whole "I'm going to read every stupid internet opinion and get mad at it" thing

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Didn't want to read any new posts in this thread but can someone tell me how many pages it has been since someone's quoted castlevania thx in advance

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
What's your favorite thing about Jesus? I think it's that he's cool and loves everyone and wants us to go to Heaven.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

What's your favorite thing about Jesus? I think it's that he's cool and loves everyone and wants us to go to Heaven.

Cool guy. Not really any reason to believe that there is a heaven. Nice guy though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kyrie eleison posted:

Jesus was a chump that left the romans in charge because he didn't have the balls to make his own empire.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrie eleison posted:

What's your favorite thing about Jesus?
He's dead.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Also I love everyone but don't require them to do dumb poo poo because of that, which I'm pretty sure makes me bigger than jesus.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 23, 2015

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
Haha, yeah. You have really low expectations of people.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

You have really low expectations of people.

:ironicat: I'm sorry, what?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

Guilty; I don't sentence people to torture because they won't abase themselves before me, and pretend I'm not a bitch.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Kyrie You may be the dumbest poster ever, but I'm glad that you're here because you show us all how much of a ridiculous fuckin stretch every single religious belief is when that person tries to mount any kind of rational defence for what they think rather than just agreeing not to say anything hateful if you don't challenge their dumb beliefs, which is a fair trade-off.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrie eleison posted:

Maybe - I do keep replying to you after all. Grats on >200 days of your gimmick thread.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

rudatron posted:

self as an illusion or emergent property of interconnected systems, the former implying that there is no true self and the latter implying self manifests not as some spiritual or non-materialist entity but as a kind of mathematical one.
Hofstader's interpretation.
We are the dull sounds of sharp math

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Kyrie eleison posted:

For a guy who wants everyone to go to heaven, he puts a lot of obstacles in the way.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Umm... Are you suggesting that racist dude was religiously motivated as he shot up a church. His manifesto makes clear he was motivated by racism, which is in contradiction with traditional Christian views on race

Do you know how to read English?

That guy was religious, yet clearly unhappy. Full stop, that's the end of the point.

EDIT: The God of the Bible (and by extension, Jesus, which are incidentally two utterly different beings when you compare the actual content of the Bible to the being Christians claim to worship) is an absolutely monstrous dick that makes Zeus look good. And Zeus was a literal mass rapist and child killer.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

He lives, He dies, He lives again!

• Locked thread