Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Just to be clear: that perspective visually distorts the size of the game world. The first and more obvious reason is that it's in aerial perspective: the city of Vivec takes up about 5% of that image, but in the actual game world Vivec is more like 0.5% of the map, meaning the lower portion of the map is 10x larger than it should be while other areas are reduced accordingly. The other one is sort of what you said, Morrowind uses a lot of vertical space, and this creates something of an illusion when viewed from a low angle like that because the steep slopes make the horizontal distances appear deceivingly small by comparison. If you want an accurate image of how big the game world is, look at a top-down map and compare it to some real-world location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mordaedil posted:

Bethesda sure, but what does this do for a possible Obsidian sequel?
Alpha Protocol dialogue :unsmigghh:

Though I think it's probably a simple matter to switch back to the voiceless-dialogue protagonist because saving on voice acting is Obsidian's dig.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Thug Lessons posted:

Just to be clear: that perspective visually distorts the size of the game world. The first and more obvious reason is that it's in aerial perspective: the city of Vivec takes up about 5% of that image, but in the actual game world Vivec is more like 0.5% of the map, meaning the lower portion of the map is 10x larger than it should be while other areas are reduced accordingly. The other one is sort of what you said, Morrowind uses a lot of vertical space, and this creates something of an illusion when viewed from a low angle like that because the steep slopes make the horizontal distances appear deceivingly small by comparison. If you want an accurate image of how big the game world is, look at a top-down map and compare it to some real-world location.

so basically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS12p0Zqlt0

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dialogue wheels are an improvement since they allow you to actually respond based on how you feel about the character you are talking to. Be nice or be a dick or be neutral is simple, but better than what we had before.

Compare with Fallout 3 where most conversations are just you asking about a series of bullet points.

And all the people saying this limits you to only four options must have never played Mass Effect or Dragon Age 2/3.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Dialogue wheels are an improvement since they allow you to actually respond based on how you feel about the character you are talking to. Be nice or be a dick or be neutral is simple, but better than what we had before.

Nope, they really aren't.

Or rather, should I say, there's plenty of people who dislike it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

marktheando posted:

No it's pretty much the same as what we had before. Take the Three Dog conversation. The only choices you have for Three Dog are "Cheerily agree to anything T Dog says", "Say that you're unprepared for the task" or "gently caress you I won't do what you tell me!". That's nice, neutral and dickish right there. And it's the same three responses at about four different places in the conversation. Three Dog speaks, and then you respond with those exact three responses every single time.

And it sucked, that whole conversation sucked. It didn't even feel like a conversation, it felt like a robot talking at a brick wall of exposition.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It is what we had before. The dialogue wheel is mostly a cosmetic thing that makes it so you don't know exactly what the character on the screen is going to say when you press the button, disconnecting you from the person you're ostensibly playing as.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dialogue wheels are bad because sometimes I just want to say "no thanks" but the dialogue wheel says "NO AND ALSO gently caress YOU YOU'RE A PIECE OF poo poo"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

Nope, they really aren't.

Or rather, should I say, there's plenty of people who dislike it.

Why? They worked pretty well in Mass Effect.

Is this another one of those things where this game falls short of the perfect imaginary RPG?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

LA Noire had a lot of problems in this regard especially in regards to the "doubt" prompts. iirc they were originally written as "force" or something along those lines.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Dialogue wheels are bad because sometimes I just want to say "no thanks" but the dialogue wheel says "NO AND ALSO gently caress YOU YOU'RE A PIECE OF poo poo"

Yeah, pretty much this. But actually what I really want in Fallout 3 is an option to say "I never really knew my dad, he was an enigmatic and aloof guy and we never really interacted much. To tell you the truth I don't know why I care where he is or what he's doing. gently caress it, I'm out of here." And then the quest fails and you have to find a new main plot by talking to people around the wasteland until you discover something to care about.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's true that we had those three options in many conversations in FO3. But a good thing about dialogue wheels is that they force the writers to give you those options in every conversation.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope you can only wear one ring at a time and have to choose between your wedding ring and the ring of +10 small guns.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

marktheando posted:

It's true that we had those three options in many conversations in FO3. But a good thing about dialogue wheels is that they force the writers to give you those options in every conversation.

No they don't. Unless it's written into the game's style guide or something. But then the project director or whoever could say "the player has to be a dick, nice or neutral in every conversation" without dialogue wheels.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. But actually what I really want in Fallout 3 is an option to say "I never really knew my dad, he was an enigmatic and aloof guy and we never really interacted much. To tell you the truth I don't know why I care where he is or what he's doing. gently caress it, I'm out of here." And then the quest fails and you have to find a new main plot by talking to people around the wasteland until you discover something to care about.

Didn't New Vegas have an ending like this, where you take the road out of the Mojave and just gently caress off, but they had to remove it before release because it confused testers who thought it was the real ending?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

marktheando posted:

Didn't New Vegas have an ending like this, where you take the road out of the Mojave and just gently caress off, but they had to remove it before release because it confused testers who thought it was the real ending?

No, they joked about having an ending like that but it never got implemented. I like the idea though and if Obsidian do another Fallout game I hope they include that option, if only to shut up people who say "but I role play as a tremendous physical coward who has no curiosity so I have no motivation to go after Benny"

Edit:

rope kid posted:

For a while we joked around that we should have something at Mojave Outpost where you can ask Major Knight to let you go back to NCR. He would say something like, "Well, okay, but we can't let you back through." "Sounds good."

*roll credits*

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 23, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

marktheando posted:

That does sound familiar. But I guess with the Tale of Two Wastelands mod you have a similar "out" for Fallout 3. If you get fed up with Capital Wasteland you can gently caress off to the Mojave for a bit, or even just end the game in Fallout New Vegas. So the Vault Dweller's ending is she lets the Capital Wasteland die, and then becomes a hero in some new place thousands of miles away.

vv Train, actually. Still doesn't make sense but it's better than walking.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 23, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

King Vidiot posted:

That does sound familiar. But I guess with the Tale of Two Wastelands mod you have a similar "out" for Fallout 3. If you get fed up with Capital Wasteland you can gently caress off to the Mojave for a bit, or even just end the game in Fallout New Vegas. So the Vault Dweller's ending is she lets the Capital Wasteland die, and then becomes a hero in some new place thousands of miles away.

"gently caress DC, I'll just walk 2000 miles to Vegas across an irradiated landscape filled with who the gently caress knows what. That'll show em."

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

My problem is sometimes the dialogue wheels don't summarize what your character will actually say. This was a big problem for me in Mass Effect, where the dialogue wheel would just say "No kidding!" or "Sigh..." but the actual dialogue was something along the lines of, "your observations of the obvious are awe-inspiring," and "I should really just kill you now," respectively.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope you can only wear one ring at a time and have to choose between your wedding ring and the ring of +10 small guns.

all the rings in the game are +10 to something; the standard wedding ring is +10 inch anus.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Crankit posted:

all the rings in the game are +10 to something; the standard wedding ring is +10 inch anus.

girth or depth this is important

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Crankit posted:

Ah, so it's one of -those- sorts of marriages

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

They have a ring slot, there is no way there isn't going to be some kind of enchanted rings. Enchanted with science or atoms or something, not magic obviously, and as everyone knows the science fields of multiple rings interfere with each other, so only one can be worn.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tell us about the perks, Todd. Tell us now.

frajaq posted:

I wonder if the wedding ring is irremovable as a Quest Item. Or you can do it and even sell it, only to regret it in the future for some reason :ohdear:

I hope there's a quest where it gets stolen when you take it off to wash dishes, and you have to get it back, and commit revenge murder on the bad guys who took the last memento of your wife.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Crankit posted:

Doesn't have a voiced player character mean modders can't add new interactions in?

Not really, if the modder or group of modders is worth they're salt, they'll keep what the PC can say restricted to basic responses like yes, no, or maybe and let the NPCs do most of the talking or they'll slice up existing PC dialog to fit whatever you want to say. There was a mod that added Joshua Graham Ulysses as a companion for the Mojave, it added a large amount of new dialog for him to say about locations by just using edit versions of what stuff he had said in Honest Heart Lonesome Road. It makes modders jobs harder when it comes to quests, but it's still doable.

E: Whoops, got the wrong character. :v:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 23, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alternatively: Terrible PC voice acting as well as terrible NPC voice acting :v:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

There's also, as was mentioned, a handful of songs written and performed by rope kid that that Bruce Isaac plays at The Tops
I "wrote" them in the legal sense that I made slightly new lyrics, but Red River Valley, Home on the Range, and Cobwebs and Rainbows are all old songs.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I wrote all of Taylor Swift's songs. She just changes some of the words.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I kissed a girl and I enjoyed it very much

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

so good.

I like VATS. I've always liked the idea and how it was optional for the player to engage into VATS mode. Now I like it even more that there is still movement on the part of the target and that the dog comes in for the throat-crush.

I could not restrain myself from buying a used FO3 GOTY yesterday to hold me over.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

The Berzerker posted:

To the guy above, the pregnant women take a while to give birth. They're pregnant, give them some time! (Don't forget they can still work in the power room or whatever while pregnant)

I had no qualms sending them back to the Bar to work on their charisma. I appreciate that at least the game knew enough to swap out the beer mug for a Nuka Cola.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Why? They worked pretty well in Mass Effect.

Is this another one of those things where this game falls short of the perfect imaginary RPG?

I really hated Mass Effect series because of it, so your mileage may vary.

It's one of those things I just can't stand, I like to be able to understand to the letter what I am saying to the people I talk to in my RPG's, that's why I backed Pillars of Eternity and I love that game.

I'm not going to say we had more options, because it just doesn't benefit a large scale game design budget, but it carries a different tone, you go from having an immersive experience where you *are* your character to an experience where you watch your character do stuff, like in a movie, a cinematic experience. In this, I also hate QTE's, unnecessary cut-scenes (you may interpret this to mean several things, but I mean taking control away from the player for brief moments just to do a cool thing and then give control back) and voiced protagonists.

But whatever, Fallout 4 isn't being made for me. That's fine, I guess.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sout posted:

LA Noire had a lot of problems in this regard especially in regards to the "doubt" prompts. iirc they were originally written as "force" or something along those lines.

Yeah, we were talking about it earlier. It was originally "Coax, Force, Lie". They changed it to "Truth, Doubt, Lie" without changing the intention behind the meaning. And unfortunately, they tried to emphasize the realistic bigotry of the time by making the majority of the characters racist, misogynist, and/or right-wing assholes. So you'll tell Cole that you want him to Doubt what a suspect is saying and he'll suddenly say something horrifically racist and simultaneously threaten to break the person's kneecaps (when they're likely innocent of any crime) if they don't give up all the information the cops want.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGnUGFwraL0

I hope something like this happens in Fallout 4 and the NPC starts crying desperately

frajaq fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 23, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Lord Lambeth posted:

I can't imagine playing morrowind on the xbox. :psyduck:

Fun fact: There were 3 different versions of the Xbox that each had a different DVD-ROM drive. Out of the three, only one would work well with Morrowind. The rest had unbearably long load times.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

Fun fact: There were 3 different versions of the Xbox that each had a different DVD-ROM drive. Out of the three, only one would work well with Morrowind. The rest had unbearably long load times.
I must have lucked out then, because Morrowind GOTY was smooth as butter.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I cannot imagine playing any Bethesda game on a console, really. I'm just so used to WASD and hot keys and modding/using the console if I have to.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can't imagine playing any game on a console. I've never owned a console. I barely understand consoles as a concept.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Bholder posted:

I still love how people hate Gamebryo just because it is Gamebryo. Like, none of you even know what Gamebryo is, or what part of the game make it "gamebryo", but the game from the same creators of it's predecessor looks similar to said predecessor, that must mean it is the same poo poo.

Probably due to the habit we have of simplifying things so that we understand them. "Engine" is a core component to anything mechanical and often is the largest contributor to whether a system can be considered effective or not.

You can put a poo poo ton of mods into an car, but the greatest contribution to horsepower will always be the engine it currently has.

How about if people approaches things proportionally? As in, about what percentage of a Fallout game is Gamebryo? Is that even a useful comparison to use? Not a coder, just asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
but will the game have tommy guns?

• Locked thread